Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 267
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    10,810
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanAlways View Post
    I don't think the Jets were being 'too cute' by selecting O'Brien over Marino. The Jets, along with every other team who passed on Dan were really concerned with his knee issues. Don't you think if his knees weren't a problem that he would've have been picked at the top of that draft? I know I do.
    Marino told them he was healthy and that he wanted to be here.

    O'Brien was such an unknown that I remember one of the newspapers the next day said "Ken who?".

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    10,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I wonder what the hype train would have done for those two?

    They might repeat history. But again, they don't really have a choice anymore. If they don't take him, they will be destroyed by every media outlet and fan who's bought into Wilsons rise.
    The media has made this pick. They can certainly go against it but they need a QB and he is the second highest ranked one by most scouts.

    Hopefully you and I are completely wrong about him and he kills it for the next decade.
    I would gladly accept that.

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    73,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I wonder what the hype train would have done for those two?

    They might repeat history. But again, they don't really have a choice anymore. If they don't take him, they will be destroyed by every media outlet and fan who's bought into Wilsons rise.
    The media has made this pick. They can certainly go against it but they need a QB and he is the second highest ranked one by most scouts.

    Hopefully you and I are completely wrong about him and he kills it for the next decade.
    The media hasnít done anything. If the Jets didnít want Wilson, they would have traded back. Clearly they think heís going to be a stud QB and best available QB at #2, so why would they trade back? We have a ton of picks already and QB is the biggest need here. Time will tell if they are right are wrong. Joe is putting his GM legacy in Zachís hands.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,630
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    The media hasnít done anything. If the Jets didnít want Wilson, they would have traded back. Clearly they think heís going to be a stud QB and best available QB at #2, so why would they trade back? We have a ton of picks already and QB is the biggest need here. Time will tell if they are right are wrong. Joe is putting his GM legacy in Zachís hands.
    I respectfully disagree about the media. They have created a buzz that cannot be ignored. That buzz overshadows the pitfalls of this kid.
    I agree about having tons of picks and I am super excited about this draft in general. That's also the nice thing for Joe.
    If Wilson goes south but there are other picks who do really well, no one will blame him.

    Stunna, I've said it a dozen times. I hope my feeling is way off and that I am jumping up and down with joy, watching this kid play.



    Ignorance is bliss

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,781
    John Elway and Jim Kelly were also picked in the 1983 Draft, which including Marino makes three HOF QBs. So instead of worrying that Lawrence will be Marino and Wilson will be Ken O'Brien, perhaps we should be positive and look at Lawrence, Wilson and Fields as one might look at Marino, Kelly and Elway and feel that all 3 will excel at a high level.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,630
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    John Elway and Jim Kelly were also picked in the 1983 Draft, which including Marino makes three HOF QBs. So instead of worrying that Lawrence will be Marino and Wilson will be Ken O'Brien, perhaps we should be positive and look at Lawrence, Wilson and Fields as one might look at Marino, Kelly and Elway and feel that all 3 will excel at a high level.



    Ignorance is bliss

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    7,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I respectfully disagree about the media. They have created a buzz that cannot be ignored. That buzz overshadows the pitfalls of this kid.
    I agree about having tons of picks and I am super excited about this draft in general. That's also the nice thing for Joe.
    If Wilson goes south but there are other picks who do really well, no one will blame him.

    Stunna, I've said it a dozen times. I hope my feeling is way off and that I am jumping up and down with joy, watching this kid play.
    If you genuinely believe that the Jets FO is more swayed by the media than their own honest analysis of the players in the draft, then the Jets are ****ed no matter who they draft.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    7,101
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    John Elway and Jim Kelly were also picked in the 1983 Draft, which including Marino makes three HOF QBs. So instead of worrying that Lawrence will be Marino and Wilson will be Ken O'Brien, perhaps we should be positive and look at Lawrence, Wilson and Fields as one might look at Marino, Kelly and Elway and feel that all 3 will excel at a high level.
    Yes please.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,630
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    If you genuinely believe that the Jets FO is more swayed by the media than their own honest analysis of the players in the draft, then the Jets are ****ed no matter who they draft.
    I think teams are. I do. I think that when you have a group of coaches and scouts, watching a guy and a few get excited, it builds. In a way I think it's like an auction. One party gets interested and then another, then another add into that the reporting of this interest, it creates even more.

    It would not happen with a bad player. There needs to be some substance to it.

    Even think about Vernon Gholston. Game film if I recall, was inconsistent. His combine was crazy. He shot up the ranks after it.

    Also, I am not suggesting that Wilson isn't a top 10 pick. I am not suggesting he isn't a top 5 QB prospect. He is. What I am saying is that I truly believe that publicity can sway opinion. That's why people have publicists.

    Here is my feeling and I have said this, at least initially, how will the Jets look if they don't take Wilson?
    I think they would be shredded by the media. I also think the media would use fan comments to do it. Fans who may not have even a remotely informed opinion of him but simply, hear and see the great clips and soundbites and believe he's the next Mahomes or Rodgers.
    I am not claiming I am amazingly informed but I do my homework and watch the prospect and read up on them

    The Jets pretty much have to take him after all the talk. If they went Fields? Lance? Trade the pick?

    They will ignore the record against quality teams. They will ignore injuries. But that flick of the wrist pass? Everyone drooled.



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    7,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I think teams are. I do. I think that when you have a group of coaches and scouts, watching a guy and a few get excited, it builds. In a way I think it's like an auction. One party gets interested and then another, then another add into that the reporting of this interest, it creates even more.

    It would not happen with a bad player. There needs to be some substance to it.

    Even think about Vernon Gholston. Game film if I recall, was inconsistent. His combine was crazy. He shot up the ranks after it.

    Also, I am not suggesting that Wilson isn't a top 10 pick. I am not suggesting he isn't a top 5 QB prospect. He is. What I am saying is that I truly believe that publicity can sway opinion. That's why people have publicists.

    Here is my feeling and I have said this, at least initially, how will the Jets look if they don't take Wilson?
    I think they would be shredded by the media. I also think the media would use fan comments to do it. Fans who may not have even a remotely informed opinion of him but simply, hear and see the great clips and soundbites and believe he's the next Mahomes or Rodgers.
    I am not claiming I am amazingly informed but I do my homework and watch the prospect and read up on them

    The Jets pretty much have to take him after all the talk. If they went Fields? Lance? Trade the pick?

    They will ignore the record against quality teams. They will ignore injuries. But that flick of the wrist pass? Everyone drooled.
    I understand what you are saying. My point is that if the Jets FO is more swayed by public opinion than their own assessment, then they will likely fail and it doesn't matter what they do.

    Also, regarding ignoring Wilson's flaws, again, if they are doing that, then the Jets are ****ed. I think what is more likely (assuming he is the guy they want, that's not 100% certain) is that they are aware of his flaws and still see more good than bad. The same way they would/should assess any prospect, because none are perfect.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Really good article on fansided making a case to trade down from 2 and take a different QB. Really interesting stats comparing QBs drafted from 2012-2018. Headline is QBs drafted in round 1 significantly outperform QBs drafted in later rounds. But QBs drafted in the top 3 of round 1 were essentially a wash with QBs drafted in round 1 but after pick 3.

    https://thejetpress.com/2021/04/27/n...g-zach-wilson/

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,630
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. My point is that if the Jets FO is more swayed by public opinion than their own assessment, then they will likely fail and it doesn't matter what they do.

    Also, regarding ignoring Wilson's flaws, again, if they are doing that, then the Jets are ****ed. I think what is more likely (assuming he is the guy they want, that's not 100% certain) is that they are aware of his flaws and still see more good than bad. The same way they would/should assess any prospect, because none are perfect.
    Agreed. We are not far apart in our view. I.m the GM. I have 2-3 QBs to choose from at that pick and I have them all graded closely. Let's say, QB B is my first choice followed by C and then A. Everyone is going crazy over QB A. The world thinks he should be the pick. There are articles written about him playing for my team. My guy, QB B, has fallen in the eyes of the world.
    Writers have aligned with QB A. They are hitting the gas peddle on him. QB B is no where.

    It makes the decision far more difficult. QB B is my guy but if I choose him and QB A is what they say? I am screwed.
    If I take QB A and he is a bust? I will look better in the public eye because everyone thought he was the pick.

    When I look at the sports writers and the NBA all star voting, I see the same with the NFL Draft.



    Ignorance is bliss

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Cummings View Post
    Really good article on fansided making a case to trade down from 2 and take a different QB. Really interesting stats comparing QBs drafted from 2012-2018. Headline is QBs drafted in round 1 significantly outperform QBs drafted in later rounds. But QBs drafted in the top 3 of round 1 were essentially a wash with QBs drafted in round 1 but after pick 3.

    https://thejetpress.com/2021/04/27/n...g-zach-wilson/
    I love it. I think it is a sound argument. It would be my choice of action.

    I'm sure people are surprised to hear that.



    Ignorance is bliss

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Agreed. We are not far apart in our view. I.m the GM. I have 2-3 QBs to choose from at that pick and I have them all graded closely. Let's say, QB B is my first choice followed by C and then A. Everyone is going crazy over QB A. The world thinks he should be the pick. There are articles written about him playing for my team. My guy, QB B, has fallen in the eyes of the world.
    Writers have aligned with QB A. They are hitting the gas peddle on him. QB B is no where.

    It makes the decision far more difficult. QB B is my guy but if I choose him and QB A is what they say? I am screwed.
    If I take QB A and he is a bust? I will look better in the public eye because everyone thought he was the pick.

    When I look at the sports writers and the NBA all star voting, I see the same with the NFL Draft.
    Sounds like this could be a bigger problem for the 49ers who traded up to #3, if they take Mac Jones. There's always the trade on draft day night, where the 49ers really want Zach Wilson and Mac Jones is their second choice. They trade Garappolo to the Jets and take Wilson and then the Jets blow everybody's mind and take Pitts and then trade up to the end of the 1st round and take a young QB to understudy Jimmy G..

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    38,630
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Sounds like this could be a bigger problem for the 49ers who traded up to #3, if they take Mac Jones. There's always the trade on draft day night, where the 49ers really want Zach Wilson and Mac Jones is their second choice. They trade Garappolo to the Jets and take Wilson and then the Jets blow everybody's mind and take Pitts and then trade up to the end of the 1st round and take a young QB to understudy Jimmy G..
    DUDE!!!! I love it!!!



    Ignorance is bliss

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •