Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I have been pretty busy and even missed a couple games already but I will give my thoughts on what I have seen so far...

Towns - Bummer. I still want to see what this team does for extended run with him. We all know where he has needed improvements, hasn't played enough to tell if has made any.

Edwards - Mixed. I see the potential here but I am also concerned with some decision making at times, specifically shot selection. He can create and does make solid decisions with the ball when passing at least though and that is a nice quality I wasn't aware of. Will need to see how he improves, is still very potential based.

Culver/Okogie - Meh. I was hoping for a little bit more development from each, I guess Culver at least has looked improved from last year but it isn't saying tons.

Beasley - I think he has been living up to the contract, seems like a legitimate starter on the right team to me.

Deangelo Russell - A little worse than hoped for and I already noted my issues/concerns with our trading the pick this year for him. I feel like this could look worse than many initially thought if we give up a top 5 pick which seems very possible now.

Rubio - I had a few disagreements on this at draft time but think it's a bit more clear now. This is why I didn't understand why people were excited, it always felt like a PR move and not a basketball move to me. I still wish we would have kept that pick and made it ourselves.

Vanderbilt has looked solid rotationally. I like the brief instances I have seen of Mcdaniels, liked that pick at the time so hoping he hits his potential still a long way to go.

Rosas - On the hot seat for me. I think most expect Ryan gone soon but our roster is part of the issue. We have no real PF and I think need a good amount of retooling still. I think giving up the pick this season may come back to bite us as noted already too. I expect we have to let this play out more still and see what moves are made by next season but he has a lot of work/needs to improve this team as well.
    the only thing I want to respond to, is we all know Rosas had VERY limited time to make roster changes this offseason. He will, and should, receive a longer look. Saunders needs to go though.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    the only thing I want to respond to, is we all know Rosas had VERY limited time to make roster changes this offseason. He will, and should, receive a longer look. Saunders needs to go though.
    I agree which is what I am getting to at the end about waiting to see until next season. If we lose out on the pick though it was him who limited himself on what we are able to add this coming offseason. Going into next year is going to be a better determination but I think he is a bit on the hot seat too when it comes.

I am honestly not stressing over this. As I've stated, we need a better coach as Saunders singlehandedly lost us at least 2-3 games this season. As far as the rest of the team, tbh, we have been really hampered by injuries/covid. Russell has been mediocre at best, Rubio has flat out sucked. Edwards has been a mixed bag. Culver flat out disappeared again. KAT, well, we all know the story there. I like the core(KAT, Russell, Beasley), I like both of the Rookies, I like some of the role players(Okogie, Vando, Culver, Rubio, Reid).I think this is a typical Minnesota underperforming team. There is certainly enough talent individually to be at least mediocre.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I agree which is what I am getting to at the end about waiting to see until next season. If we lose out on the pick though it was him who limited himself on what we are able to add this coming offseason. Going into next year is going to be a better determination but I think he is a bit on the hot seat too when it comes.
    Yep, that pick hurts. We clearly wanted to get of Wiggins so badly, but also clearly overvalued our talent level, or at the very least, our expectations of this season. At this rate, the chances of keeping it aren't that bad though, crazy enough.

By the trade deadline, we need to see a legit PF option for the next couple of years. We also need to continue to turn non-shooters around for shooters. We have a glut at the wing, and that needs to be balanced with our lack of talent up front.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    I am honestly not stressing over this. As I've stated, we need a better coach as Saunders singlehandedly lost us at least 2-3 games this season. As far as the rest of the team, tbh, we have been really hampered by injuries/covid. Russell has been mediocre at best, Rubio has flat out sucked. Edwards has been a mixed bag. Culver flat out disappeared again. KAT, well, we all know the story there. I like the core(KAT, Russell, Beasley), I like both of the Rookies, I like some of the role players(Okogie, Vando, Culver, Rubio, Reid).I think this is a typical Minnesota underperforming team. There is certainly enough talent individually to be at least mediocre.
    I think the disappointing thing to me, is watching us just give no effort at periods of time. Without KAT, we go as D-Lo goes, and he just isn't very good. I agree with you, that long term, I am not as worried. Keeping next years pick would help a ton, but at the end of the day, anyone who thought even a healthy Wolves team this year would be at best a 30 win team in the shortened season was probably setting expectations too high.

KAT needs to stop missing games. Dude was ironman his first few years, and now this.

I think the disappointing thing to me, is watching us just give no effort at periods of time. Without KAT, we go as D-Lo goes, and he just isn't very good. I agree with you, that long term, I am not as worried. Keeping next years pick would help a ton, but at the end of the day, anyone who thought even a healthy Wolves team this year would be at best a 30 win team in the shortened season was probably setting expectations too high.

KAT needs to stop missing games. Dude was ironman his first few years, and now this.
    Honestly, there is a little blame on D'lo but our biggest issue is the offense. D'lo is not a guy that goes down hill and we run nothing but the most basic of pick-and-rolls. We run an offense that forces guys like Edwards force contested pull-up threes, Rubio to stand in the corner off-ball and Russel to make plays in congestion. Russel is a very good player, honestly. Watch what a good coach was able to do with him in a couple of years in NJ and he was very good scoring the ball in GS because even with a G-league roster they run a ton more action in the half court. Rubio is an elite play calling PG, but we have zero plays for him to call and his usage is sub 15 % when he is on the floor. Give this roster to any coach worth his paycheck and this is a top 5 offensive team with Towns, and easily a top 10 offensive team without. And I am not overvaluing our players here. D'lo and Beasley are borderline elite offensive players, Towns is elite. Naz is an elite backup center. Rubio is an elite backup PG in the right system(hell, any system, but there has to be one). Culver/Edwards are above average all around wings. Okogie and Vando are elite defensive players/rollers/cutters. We have a ton of not just potential, but talent, today! It's just a shame to watch a basic pick and roll with the other 3 players just standing in the same spot. Basically, any time we run anything even slightly more advanced, we are pretty, pretty, pretty good.
    Last edited by Oefarmy2005; 01-25-2021 at 12:57 PM.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

Honestly, there is a little blame on D'lo but our biggest issue is the offense. D'lo is not a guy that goes down hill and we run nothing but the most basic of pick-and-rolls. We run an offense that forces guys like Edwards force contested pull-up threes, Rubio to stand in the corner off-ball and Russel to make plays in congestion. Russel is a very good player, honestly. Watch what a good coach was able to do with him in a couple of years in NJ and he was very good scoring the ball in GS because even with a G-league roster they run a ton more action in the half court. Rubio is an elite play calling PG, but we have zero plays for him to call and his usage is sub 15 % when he is on the floor. Give this roster to any coach worth his paycheck and this is a top 5 offensive team with Towns, and easily a top 10 offensive team without. And I am not overvaluing our players here. D'lo and Beasley are borderline elite offensive players, Towns is elite. Naz is an elite backup center. Rubio is an elite backup PG in the right system(hell, any system, but there has to be one). Culver/Edwards are above average all around wings. Okogie and Vando are elite defensive players/rollers/cutters. We have a ton of not just potential, but talent, today! It's just a shame to watch a basic pick and roll with the other 3 players just standing in the same spot. Basically, any time we run anything even slightly more advanced, we are pretty, pretty, pretty good.
    I agree on D-Lo. There are really only a handful of guys in the league that can carry a bad team, I mean even Lebron missed the playoffs when he was on a bad roster two years ago. I don't think it's fair to judge D-Lo without KAT. He obviously has shown his warts but in my opinion, I think he needs to be judged after a long period with KAT, as in 50+ games minimum(they are at 5 so far). People will argue that he's a max player so he should be able to carry the team but I don't think that's reality any more in the league. This team will only go as far as KAT takes them, Rosas hasn't built a team that can win without him.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowKG View Post
    I agree on D-Lo. There are really only a handful of guys in the league that can carry a bad team, I mean even Lebron missed the playoffs when he was on a bad roster two years ago. I don't think it's fair to judge D-Lo without KAT. He obviously has shown his warts but in my opinion, I think he needs to be judged after a long period with KAT, as in 50+ games minimum(they are at 5 so far). People will argue that he's a max player so he should be able to carry the team but I don't think that's reality any more in the league. This team will only go as far as KAT takes them, Rosas hasn't built a team that can win without him.
    But this IS NOT a bad team. This is actually a very talented team but it runs an offense that assumes you have 3 superstar level players(aka no offense at all). It may have worked in Houston to some degree, but we do not have the players of Harden's caliber to just spread the floor and let the players figure out themselves what to do. We need to create an actual system and run some actual plays and this team(as currently constructed and without KAT) can be very good. Guys, we run like 5 plays/game that are not a basic two player guard/forward pick and roll.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

I agree, and good call out with the offensive structure (simple PnR then nothing). Without cutters and action off the ball, Rubio will never be utilized correctly, and we really need a ton more movement overall. Running an offense geared around LeBron as your primary doesn't work without LeBron (everyone stand still and let him break the defense down).

I agree, and good call out with the offensive structure (simple PnR then nothing). Without cutters and action off the ball, Rubio will never be utilized correctly, and we really need a ton more movement overall. Running an offense geared around LeBron as your primary doesn't work without LeBron (everyone stand still and let him break the defense down).
    There was a moment in last night's game where someone swung the ball around and then hit a cutting Layman for an easy dunk and it was a sight for sore eyes. Much better than a poorly set screen and then watching either a contested jumper or an out of control drive from the top of the key.

I actually really believe that McLaughlin has been the superior PG this season to Rubio. He's younger faster and flat out cheaper. He is also way move accurate with his shooting and seems to give a lot of effort on the defensive end. I am super impressed with the way that he has progressed.

I honestly cant stand watching Culver and Rubio miss point blank layups. Your in the NBA make the ****ing layup

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowKG View Post
    There was a moment in last night's game where someone swung the ball around and then hit a cutting Layman for an easy dunk and it was a sight for sore eyes. Much better than a poorly set screen and then watching either a contested jumper or an out of control drive from the top of the key.
    Layman (like Wiggins) was a natural cutter too. Remember Kevin Martin? I really, really wish we would instill that as part of our offense. I get wanting spacing, but when teams are guarding the 3 ball, cut to the rim for crying out loud, like you said. Edwards most of all-you can dunk from the free throw line. Cut to the rim, and live off 2-3 easy dunks a game to open up your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolves88 View Post
    I actually really believe that McLaughlin has been the superior PG this season to Rubio. He's younger faster and flat out cheaper. He is also way move accurate with his shooting and seems to give a lot of effort on the defensive end. I am super impressed with the way that he has progressed.

I honestly cant stand watching Culver and Rubio miss point blank layups. Your in the NBA make the ****ing layup
    totally agree with everything you said here dude. Everything...

Culver may look better, but he still sucks.

Layman (like Wiggins) was a natural cutter too. Remember Kevin Martin? I really, really wish we would instill that as part of our offense. I get wanting spacing, but when teams are guarding the 3 ball, cut to the rim for crying out loud, like you said. Edwards most of all-you can dunk from the free throw line. Cut to the rim, and live off 2-3 easy dunks a game to open up your game.
    Yeah for sure, seems like a better system rather than shooting 3's with sub 30% 3 point shooters.

I really hope the last few games is what we see from Edwards, from an attack standpoint. There isn't anyone that can stay in front of him, attack the fkin rim man

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast