Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 171

Thread: Luis Castillo

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,630
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    That article is exactly on point. WAR is the single best measurement to try to encompass a players total value into one stat. If two players WARs are 8.2 and 8.3 then it doesn't automatically mean the 8.3 WAR player is better. They are very close where the difference is negligible, this is when you'd need to do a deeper dive into other stats to see who is truly better. But if a guy has a 8 WAR and another guy has a 5 WAR then you can bet that the guy with 8 WAR had the better season.
    Spot on , you'd think we were trying to explain long division or something... goodness

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Good Lord how does defining value of a trade made yrs earlier have to do with the Yanks not making the playoffs in a random yr. Your confusing expectation in this argument with value. Pineda did do live up to expectation which is absolutely true but even though it wasn't close to what we hoped/expected we still got a positive value from what we got back in that trade. Seattle got ZERO positive value from any of the players w the got. While it fell short of expectation we still got more value from the players we got.

    If you believe WAR is a flawed stat, what would you use as a comparative value tool? there has to be a consistent baseline to measure somewhere.

    Just because someone writes and publishes an article based on their interpretation of an idea does it make it a fact. I've written and published many articles and that didn't make them fact, it made them my opinion based on my interpretation of the information available about the topic. While WAR isn't a perfect stat by any means it is by far the most excepted baseline to measure a players value.
    Go and read what I said was the basis to my belief that there was no winner in that trade . Why doesnt anyone who say that the yanks won that trade use any other stat to prove me wrong ? Why do they keep going back to WAR ?
    Last edited by Posada20; 01-05-2021 at 09:01 PM.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,630
    But how do u get a baseline do define basic value across the board. It maybe your opinion that there were no wtrue winners of that deal and I agree that we didn't get close to the value we hoped. That said based on the contribution we got vswhat Seattle ultimately got , we got the better end of that deal.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    But how do u get a baseline do define basic value across the board. It maybe your opinion that there were no wtrue winners of that deal and I agree that we didn't get close to the value we hoped. That said based on the contribution we got vswhat Seattle ultimately got , we got the better end of that deal.
    But they still didn’t win in that deal either . Just because someone doesn’t lose as big as the other does, it doesn’t mean they are winners . I mean if one guy lost 5 grand in a casino and another guy lost 3 grand . Does then mean the guy who lost 3 grand is a winner ? No it doesn’t . They both lost money .
    Last edited by Posada20; 01-05-2021 at 09:55 PM.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,864
    ^^ Case closed.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,630
    Except in this case it's like Seattle lost 2400 and we finished 6300 ahead

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,046
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Agreed. There is no such thing as a perfect stat. But together, you can paint a broad picture.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I disagree
    36-24-36. Grrrrrowl



    Ignorance is bliss

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,046
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Except in this case it's like Seattle lost 2400 and we finished 6300 ahead
    Both teams thought the were getting a sports car.

    One got a beat up ford escort that broke down. The other got a Toyota Camry with more miles than they thought but it still served its purpose. It was moderately reliable and got them thought a few decent years.



    Ignorance is bliss

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Except in this case it's like Seattle lost 2400 and we finished 6300 ahead
    How in the hell did the Yankees finish ahead when it took over 2 years for Pineda to start his first mlb game for the Yankees and when he did he was never better than a 5th starter and could never stay healthy ?

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cold Spring, NY
    Posts
    4,704
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Someone should tell him that every major league team uses war(to an extent) to value and pay players and it does infact come up in negotiations/arbitration.

    Guess all 32 major league teams are wrong.

    No one here that I've seen says that it is end all be all, but it most definitely provides some value.


    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk


    You actually think the people that run MLB teams are smarter than Posada? Very foolish on your part. Posada is head and shoulders above those so called professionals. LOL
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    How in the hell did the Yankees finish ahead when it took over 2 years for Pineda to start his first mlb game for the Yankees and when he did he was never better than a 5th starter and could never stay healthy ?
    because he still created a positive value while he was here and the players that Seattle got had a negative value. There is no arguing that Pineda gave the Yanks more value than Montero, Noesi and Campos provided Seattle. Even using your money example Seattle lost money and while it wasn't what we hoped we still can out ahead in that trade.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    because he still created a positive value while he was here and the players that Seattle got had a negative value. There is no arguing that Pineda gave the Yanks more value than Montero, Noesi and Campos provided Seattle. Even using your money example Seattle lost money and while it wasn't what we hoped we still can out ahead in that trade.
    I ask you again what positive value could Pineda have possibly given when it took 2 years before he made his first mlb start tor them and and he never was better than a 5th starter? He failed to live up to what the Yankees traded him for . That is a loss plain and simple . Neither side got what they traded for so neither side won. . End of story

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,630
    Because our side of the trade contributed more value than what we sent to Seattle. Just because neither team got what they expected doesn't mean that 1 side didn't get more value than the other.

    When someone creates positive value they help their team win. Using your money example or whatever other kind of metric u want , we got more value out of the trade than Seattle did.

    Just because u feel that neither team got what they hoped doesn't take away from the fact we got some positive value from the trade and they got negative value.

  14. #164
    OhSoSlick's Avatar
    OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    35,827
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Because our side of the trade contributed more value than what we sent to Seattle. Just because neither team got what they expected doesn't mean that 1 side didn't get more value than the other.

    When someone creates positive value they help their team win. Using your money example or whatever other kind of metric u want , we got more value out of the trade than Seattle did.

    Just because u feel that neither team got what they hoped doesn't take away from the fact we got some positive value from the trade and they got negative value.
    Oye vey

    Why do you still bother.

    It's like talking to a wall that's falling apart.
    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

    I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,585
    Don't let others drag you down to their level. Just put them on ignore.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •