Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bauer

6 37.50%
  • Springer

10 62.50%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bauer or Springer?

This is just a hypothetical because obviously the most popular answer would be "Get Both" but if you have to choose between Springer and Bauer, who would you rather want?

I love Springer. Hard to find good all around CFers but I think the better bet is Bauer because he's 2 years younger, the Mets need a dominant SP to go behind deGrom imo, he's a guy who prides on studying his game to improve his performance, and he's easily the best SP on the market this offseason and next (in terms of guys who haven't passed their primes).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-17-2020 at 06:01 AM.

I am ok with one of those two.

We need a front end starting pitcher a lot more than we need an OFer. So if those are our only options I choose Bauer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Springer. We can fill the SP void elsewhere on the market. The alternative CF options are much less appealing.

People choosing Bauer: who do you want in CF next season? More Nimmo? Conforto/Nimmo's value skyrocket if they play a corner as they rightfully should.
    "If we want to be an iconic franchise, which I think we are capable of doing, we have to write more good stories than bad, and occasionally we have to write a really epic story." --Sandy Alderson

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Springer. We can fill the SP void elsewhere on the market. The alternative CF options are much less appealing.

People choosing Bauer: who do you want in CF next season? More Nimmo? Conforto/Nimmo's value skyrocket if they play a corner as they rightfully should.
    Jackie Bradley Jr. as a fall back even though he is LH

I love Springer but would prefer Bauer, simply because I think we're a potential 2021 WS team with Bauer and an also-ran if we only get Springer. I don't know if Bauer is cheating or if he can sustain his dominance but short-term, I believe he will continue to thrive. Having deGrom, Bauer, Stroman, Peterson and Syndergaard in the wings would give us the best rotation in baseball in 2021. The top three's collective ability to eat innings would have a trickle-down affect on the bullpen, which has been overused and has lacked defined roles for years because of our of lack of SP depth. The BP may still suck (I don't think it will), but it's a lot less likely if they're not counted on to go 4-plus innings every night. Rotation-wise, we're very much a win-now team with Bauer, especially with the possibility of Stroman and Syndergaard leaving if not re-signed. The farm may come through and we may continue to replenish via FA and trade, but things might not align like this again any time soon.

Getting Bauer doesn't mean that Nimmo will be our regular CFer. I believe they'll get a defense-first guy, Nimmo will mostly play in LF and occasionally in CF. Our lineup is deep enough to absorb an average bat in CF, but to make an October run you need two studs at the top of the rotation.

I think it's funny that Sandy seems to be leaning toward Bauer with, if reports are to be believed, Cohen wanting Springer. Personality-wise, I would have thought the opposite. I'm guessing the new GM, and the way the market plays out, is the tie-breaker. Either way, we're in on both until we're not, and that feels pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post

True that without Springer it looks less than ideal in CF again - but Nimmo, Conforto and Smith/Davis are very productive at the plate and that would be ok as long as we had a solid defensive 4th/5th OFer for late game situations.

Again, if the choices are just these 2 guys and no one else then the rationale for Bauer is that we have some gaping holes in the SP that have yet to be filled and I'd rather solidify the entire rotation with a TORP. Keep in mind, as presently constituted we will be relying on Noah and Stroman when neither has been in a major league game since 2019. That doesn't even touch the complete fall off in arms we have for the rest of the rotation.

Starting pitching killed this team in 2019. Can't let that happen again. So if it isn't Bauer it has to be someone who can at least be a top 3 arm.

Isn't it nice to have that kind of faith in the team you root for that there is a possibility they get both? We are not even sure what kind of owner Cohen will be yet. But the notion that it doesn't have to be one or the other...or just predicting the annual "sticker shock" and being resigned to Tier C players.

I love these sort of debates because it feels like a luxury now.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    We need a front end starting pitcher a lot more than we need an OFer. So if those are our only options I choose Bauer.

True

But is the drop from Bauer to the next guy higher or lower than the drop from Springer to the next guy?

Bauer. I think they end up with springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    True

But is the drop from Bauer to the next guy higher or lower than the drop from Springer to the next guy?
    This is my main point. For the price of Bauer we can acquire Quintana AND Kluber, or something like that. Both would be very strong additions to the rotations. JBJ would be an uninspiring replacement for Springer and we'd have far too many lefties in the lineup.
    "If we want to be an iconic franchise, which I think we are capable of doing, we have to write more good stories than bad, and occasionally we have to write a really epic story." --Sandy Alderson

Bauer or Springer?

Only argument for Bauer IMO is that he is a hedge for a deGrom injury. He would slide in as our ace. Only pitcher who really has that type of upside on this staff is Syndergaard. My issue is that he doesnít have the proven consistency and track record.

Springer is a sure thing and fills so many needs.

Easily Bauer.

Iíve already made it known that I donít want Springer but SP is the biggest problem for this team. Having a 1B behind DeGrom is necessary, especially when there are too many question marks after Stroman. Bauer is definitely a top 10-15 starter in baseball, he fits a need and opens up the possibility of resting the pen because he goes deep into games.

Trade for a real center fielder or sign a guy like JBJ or Kikť Hernandez to fill. There needs to be solid defense in CF more than anything.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Definitely Bauer. Adding him to the rotation makes them a real threat in the post-season assuming they get there.

Bauer or Springer?

Assuming we donít go for Bauer (who I think we should sign), what are our best alternatives for the starting staff? Because we have far too many question marks there to seriously compete right now.

Iím all for Springer if we can realistically build a very good starting rotation as well. Iím not for Springer if we are leaving that to chance.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast