Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 124
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    ^Good stuff

    Merry Xmas yall, we got Kahnle! Lol

    Seriously though, its a good signing with very low risk and a lot of upside. Hes had a couple of very good seasons, just gotta hope he can figure out how to do it consistently for two more years. Heres a good article on Fangraphs regarding the effectiveness and usage of his changeup.

    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/tommy-ka...angeup-change/

    Knebel as a reclamation project was a huge get. If he can stay healthy and return to form, thats two arms that could really solidify the pen. Hendriks would still be a great addition, then maybe Trienen if he wont cost too much. The rest of the question marks and health concerns should be answered with the young guns.

    I love Urias in the pen, but part of me really wants to see what hes got for a full season as a starter. Hes got a lot of potential there but really hasnt been stretched out and seems to struggle with pitch counts and getting deep into games. At some point weve gotta piss or get off the pot with his role as a starter and, ultimately, I see him landing in the pen unless he gets that role nailed down soon.

    May has every bit of the potential Urias has in both the rotation and the pen so Im good with either of them back there though, admittedly, watching Urias cut through everyone out of the pen is something special. He really seems to shine in those moments.
    What do you think of the 3rd base spot using players already in the system?

    We lost 7 guys to rule 5 draft. Some of these guys look promising. We drafted a catcher which is strange. Since he likely won't make the team and will be given back.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-rule-5...eline-coverage
    Last edited by USCFOOTBALL; 12-28-2020 at 05:12 PM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,129
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    What do you think of the 3rd base spot using players already in the system?

    We lost 7 guys to rule 5 draft. Sunrise of there guys look promising. We drafted a catcher which is strange. Since he likely won't make the team and will be given back.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-rule-5...eline-coverage
    I actually do think we have plenty of talent to do well at 3rd, its just not my preference considering wed be losing JT. I believe I mentioned somewhere potentially giving the role to CT3, but then wed need to fill that first super utility role - McKinstry can do it, but were also looking to fill the second utility role being vacated by Kik.

    Ultimately, Id like to move Seager to 3rd sooner than later, but it takes two to tango and Seager wants to play SS at least, presumably, until hes signed a long term deal for SS money.

    Barring that being a possibility, Id like to fill the role with a proven vet. Of course its not my money, but - for a low level return to the Rockies - Id seriously consider Arenado who is hopefully telling the Rockies trade me to the Dodgers or lose me after 2021. Otherwise, Im looking at the FA market and would seriously consider adding LeMahieu.

    I really like everything Ive heard about Hoese and it sounds like hes going to crush baseballs as a pro, but hes still got to prove something. I dont think I want to go into the season hoping hell emerge having never faced difficult MiLB pitching, especially knowing that were already gambling on Lux to emerge as a premier 2B this season. Id be open to allowing him to compete for the job in ST, but hes still a long shot for me this year.

    Lots of options honestly. I dont think theres really a right or wrong way to approach it.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

    - Carl Sagan


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,625
    Surprised Dodgers didn't go after Snell. He is relatively cheap, still young and can pitch during the playoffs. Would probably have cost us Ruiz, Gosoloin and maybe 1-2 Tier B prospects. Madres going all in again. Will be fun playing them in the playoffs next year. Bauer may be a higher possibility now or maybe a surprise trade for Hader, Lindor???????

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    I actually do think we have plenty of talent to do well at 3rd, its just not my preference considering wed be losing JT. I believe I mentioned somewhere potentially giving the role to CT3, but then wed need to fill that first super utility role - McKinstry can do it, but were also looking to fill the second utility role being vacated by Kik.

    Ultimately, Id like to move Seager to 3rd sooner than later, but it takes two to tango and Seager wants to play SS at least, presumably, until hes signed a long term deal for SS money.

    Barring that being a possibility, Id like to fill the role with a proven vet. Of course its not my money, but - for a low level return to the Rockies - Id seriously consider Arenado who is hopefully telling the Rockies trade me to the Dodgers or lose me after 2021. Otherwise, Im looking at the FA market and would seriously consider adding LeMahieu.

    I really like everything Ive heard about Hoese and it sounds like hes going to crush baseballs as a pro, but hes still got to prove something. I dont think I want to go into the season hoping hell emerge having never faced difficult MiLB pitching, especially knowing that were already gambling on Lux to emerge as a premier 2B this season. Id be open to allowing him to compete for the job in ST, but hes still a long shot for me this year.

    Lots of options honestly. I dont think theres really a right or wrong way to approach it.
    Thoughts on the rule 5 draft?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,625
    Cubs just giving away players. Offer them Gosolin, Dj Peters, White for Bryant. Cubs/Rays getting raped in these trades.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    14,681
    **** the Padres. We have a tall task ahead of us next season.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    **** the Padres. We have a tall task ahead of us next season.
    Darvish had 1 good year with the cubs and is going to be 35. They gave up 4 prospects and Davies, Davies might be better out right and Darvish costs more. Dumb trade for SD. Snell has been inconsistent yearly era and doesnt have stamina.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    726
    The ball washing of the Padres by fans is just nauseating. This is quite a haul by the Cubs for a guy that had 1 good year there. Got two international players that use $3.3M of a teams $5M international cap. 4 good prospects that are going to be under team control a long time. Darvish's last 3 ERAs: 4.95, 3.98, and 2.01 in a short year, and owed 3y $59M and he's gonna be 35. Davies might be better straight up he's 7 years younger than Darvish and had a great year himself with 2.73 ERA.

    Davies 2.73 ERA, 1 year $8.5M will probably decline QO and get more draft picks.
    OF Owen Cassie 2nd round pick https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-draf...lops-in-canada
    SS Reginald looks like a good get, signed with SD for $1.3M https://www.reddit.com/r/PadresFarm/...eb2x&context=3
    Ismael Mena, $2M international free agent
    SS Yeison Santana hit .346avg/429 obp in SD's rookie team


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,129
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    Thoughts on the rule 5 draft?
    I think the most notable guy for me would be de Geus and I just dont see how the Rangers plan to develop him in the bigs. He hasnt pitched above A+ and didnt face competitive hitting last year. Would be a huge mistake to ask such a young inexperienced pitcher that didnt see real competition last year to step up on the big stage and deliver. I think hell be returned.

    Regarding the rest of the exports, I dont see many losses. Sheffield never developed into what we had hoped he could and hes now in his mid-20s. I say let the kid have his shot elsewhere. Hes just never going to be good enough to break a roster like ours and he really had no trade value; rule 5 was meant for players like this.

    It is interesting that we snagged January, but I dont think this should be considered a tip of the hand in any major strategic way. I dont know too much about January other than that people really like his swing and his hit tools (which I have not seen firsthand) and hes sort of widely regarded as a defensive liability behind the dish; he does play OF as well. To me, this pick signifies what this FO values more than anything - flexibility, and value where no one else is looking.

    I previously mentioned the possibility of either trading Ruiz or handing him the keys and moving Will Smith to 3rd base; I imagine strategies something like these were being considered when selecting January. This is very likely not the FOs primary focus but one I imagine they want to be prepared for and a player like January - though a long shot at the MLB roster - could give them a legitimate 3rd catcher option in yet another super utility guy if the bat grades hold true.

    I believe hell be returned to AZ, but I see the attraction. Im planning to look at some of his footage.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

    - Carl Sagan


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,129
    The way I see the Pads moves

    Snell and Darvish would have been risky for a team like ours but they are certainly short term upgrades for a team like the Padres regardless of the version of these players theyll be getting. To me, the Padres are making a statement - they are all in this year and think its their best chance at unseating us.

    Darvish is an interesting gamble. Theyre buying high on a 35 year old with nearly $20M owed annually for the next 3 years. The Cubs know hes not likely to be the 2-run ace he was last season, I see him finishing the final 3 years of the deal averaging a wildly inconsistent 3.5 ERA as he has his whole career. Im guessing theyre banking on hope that 2021 will be on the more favorable side of that 3.5.

    In dealing for Snell, the Padres know they only have one year and, Im guessing, theyre not likely to pursue him in FA considering they just added $20M to the payroll for the first two years of Snells FA. Getting Clevinger back next year, however, will help alleviate that loss.

    Snell, Yu, Paddack and Daneilsen is an upgrade for 2021, but it comes with risk in the form of Yu Darvish being asked to anchor a staff.

    Good gamble, I just dont see this getting it done.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

    - Carl Sagan


  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    The way I see the Pads moves

    Snell and Darvish would have been risky for a team like ours but they are certainly short term upgrades for a team like the Padres regardless of the version of these players theyll be getting. To me, the Padres are making a statement - they are all in this year and think its their best chance at unseating us.

    Darvish is an interesting gamble. Theyre buying high on a 35 year old with nearly $20M owed annually for the next 3 years. The Cubs know hes not likely to be the 2-run ace he was last season, I see him finishing the final 3 years of the deal averaging a wildly inconsistent 3.5 ERA as he has his whole career. Im guessing theyre banking on hope that 2021 will be on the more favorable side of that 3.5.

    In dealing for Snell, the Padres know they only have one year and, Im guessing, theyre not likely to pursue him in FA considering they just added $20M to the payroll for the first two years of Snells FA. Getting Clevinger back next year, however, will help alleviate that loss.

    Snell, Yu, Paddack and Daneilsen is an upgrade for 2021, but it comes with risk in the form of Yu Darvish being asked to anchor a staff.

    Good gamble, I just dont see this getting it done.
    Their rotation looks pretty strong:

    1. Snell
    2. Darvish
    3. Lamet
    4. Gore
    5. Paddack

    That's pretty close to what we have. Their bullpen is their weakness and their offense is mediocre. I don't like the Darvish trade at all. That was a lot to give up that contract could be ugly the last 2 years as he ages and you gave up 4 promising prospects. I think they have more than 2022 year, next year when Clevinger comes back they might be tough depending if he heals up and their young guns get better.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    726
    Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale

    1h
    The #Phillies, #Dodgers and #Rays make 3 way trade. Jos Alvarado goes to Phillies; Dodgers get Garrett Cleavinger; Rays get Dillon Paulson and player to be named

    I wonder what AF saw in Cleavinger the guy is 26 and just got called up to the majors and posted a 13 ERA.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,625
    Lindor to the Mets. Indians got mediocre return in IMO. Gimenez, Rosario will never be better than Lux. Dodgers always trying to get raped by the other teams only for other teams to end up taking less than even our 2nd/3rd worst offer. Time to move on to Bryant, Arenado.

    Dodgers need to make a splash. After next 2022, pretty much only Mookie is guaranteed a contract. Time to go big and shut the Madres down from their high pedestal.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    Lindor to the Mets. Indians got mediocre return in IMO. Gimenez, Rosario will never be better than Lux. Dodgers always trying to get raped by the other teams only for other teams to end up taking less than even our 2nd/3rd worst offer. Time to move on to Bryant, Arenado.

    Dodgers need to make a splash. After next 2022, pretty much only Mookie is guaranteed a contract. Time to go big and shut the Madres down from their high pedestal.
    We just dont really have the payroll room to make that trade. Mets taking on $31M in payroll.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    726
    SS Francisco Lindor and RHP Carlos Carrasco for SS Amed Rosario, SS Andres Gimenez, RHP Josh Wolf, OF Isaiah Greene.

    Steep price for the Mets, Gimenez was one of the Mets best prospects and Rosario might be the best of the bunch, Wolf and Greene were both second round picks with a lot of upside.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •