Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bauer's a Dodger

Great signing

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    Great signing
    Love it! All about winning and perfecting his craft and he just signed with the best organization in baseball for a Masters Class in the Science of Pitching.

I'll take the intensity and will to win and desire to play for his home team - guarantee you for all the comments about his politics, there isn't anyone in that clubhouse who isn't jacked to have him on the team. Rumor has it Buehler is a good friend of his already, and the leadership on this team can easily handle big personalities.

Promise you that the fans and players that are least happy about this signing are a couple hours south.

Bauer was the single free-agent that gives us the best chance at a repeat.....period.

Don't need him by any stretch of the imagination, but man we are absolutely loaded.

May, Gonsolin and even Urias now can be used in the pen if need be.

Here is hoping we still have intentions to get a RH bat though, because one could argue we needed one when we had JT and Hernandez in the fold, and now they are both gone. (JT still on the radar??)

Would not be surprised to see Friedman make a trade or two to unload some payroll (Kelly, Price maybe) as well as try and get a RH bat.....

Quote Originally Posted by bkt42 View Post
    Bauer was the single free-agent that gives us the best chance at a repeat.....period.

Don't need him by any stretch of the imagination, but man we are absolutely loaded.

May, Gonsolin and even Urias now can be used in the pen if need be.

Here is hoping we still have intentions to get a RH bat though, because one could argue we needed one when we had JT and Hernandez in the fold, and now they are both gone. (JT still on the radar??)

Would not be surprised to see Friedman make a trade or two to unload some payroll (Kelly, Price maybe) as well as try and get a RH bat.....
    Imagine May as our closer.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    Id go with Urias

30 million over the Luxury Tax. Who is on the trading block?

Quote Originally Posted by rasajr23 View Post
    30 million over the Luxury Tax. Who is on the trading block?
    Maybe theyíre just gonna pay it? They are still the favorites for JT and were rumored to be in on Ozuna before he signed with Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just in case anyone forgot, we have the best front office in all of baseball and are in the running for the best front office in all of sports. What this front office has done and continues to do is nothing short of amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    We're so ridiculously loaded it's just crazy

Turn Urias into our Josh Hader. We know he can dominate when it matters the most. But either May or Gonsolin are going to get traded. Don't forget we have Gray coming up sometime this year. We are just loaded with starting pitchers. our 6-8 starters would probably start for 28 other teams. I just hope Bauer doesn't clash with Betts, Price that can kill our club chemistry. We may need Turner to keep the team in order. But love how everything the Madres did this offseason was undone by 1 move. Gotta love that. Can't wait to face the Madres in the NLCS and the Yankees in the WS. If everyone stays healthy I like our chances of repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    Turn Urias into our Josh Hader. We know he can dominate when it matters the most. But either May or Gonsolin are going to get traded. Don't forget we have Gray coming up sometime this year. We are just loaded with starting pitchers. our 6-8 starters would probably start for 28 other teams. I just hope Bauer doesn't clash with Betts, Price that can kill our club chemistry. We may need Turner to keep the team in order. But love how everything the Madres did this offseason was undone by 1 move. Gotta love that. Can't wait to face the Madres in the NLCS and the Yankees in the WS. If everyone stays healthy I like our chances of repeating.
    I like the options we have, and I think we are going to need all of those arms throughout the season. As fans, we have been spoiled with so much depth over the last 8-10 years, and have absorbed injuries better than any team in baseball. I wonder how many teams actually have started and finished the season with the starting 5 intact, or even their starting 3 or 4 in recent years. It's telling that you rarely hear about the Dodgers' injury woes because we just roll the next man up and have seen little impact.

I kind of like May as a late inning option. The guy has so much energy on the mound - it seems like a good fit for shorter, all-out stints vs. longer starting bits. My biggest concern with him is controlling that energy. It was so much fun watching Urias completely shut down the back end of games during the postseason though too, with multiple innings. The guy was locked in, and the moment was not too big for him.

As far as clubhouse chemistry - every one is an individual with their own perspectives on life. Adults with their own thoughts, their own politics, and personalities. A well run clubhouse shouldn't strive to shut down diversity and dialogue, but to embrace it. MLB represents so many different races, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, it's truly an international sport. For all of the criticisms that Dave Roberts receives about his tactical skills during the game, he is one of the best clubhouse leaders in the game. It is amazing what a winning culture with strong leadership can do to get everyone pulling on the same side on the rope.

Iím not a fan of the Bauer signing and, no, itís not about his ďpoliticsĒ, though there certainly is an element of that which has something to do with it.

Letís first talk merit and then Iíll bring it back around full circle.

Trevor Bauer has pitched 7 full MLB seasons. Iím counting 2020 as a full season in this tally because it was his best year and I know the pro-Bauer crowd will want to lean on that. I will project his 2020 numbers to reflect that, even though we know he was already slowing down when the regular season ended.

* () denotes ranking amongst active leaders with a minimum of 1000 innings pitched. Generally, no one on these list has <7 years of MLB experience.

Career ERA: 3.90 (31st)
    Career FIP: 3.85 (28th)
    Career ERA+: 113 (23rd)
    Career WHIP: 1.265 (32nd)
    Number of Seasons < 4.0 ERA: 2
    Number of Seasons < 4.0 FIP: 4 (3.99 in 2016 and 3.88 in 2017)
    Number of seasons > 200 IP: 2 (219IP projected for 2020)

Look, this FO is smarter than me and I can generally see the good in what theyíve done. There are only two things I like about this deal: (1) itís short, and (2) itís showing that, despite some strange criticisms otherwise, this FO is willing to spend.

Maybe the FO saw something last year that gave them confidence that heís figured things out. Time will tell and hopefully it proves me wrong. All I can say is, if you guys think weíre getting Trever Bauer v1.73 ERA, youíre likely in for a major disappointment.

The season numbers generally point to the same trend; Trevor Bauer has had two good years as an MLB pitcher, and one of those years was less than 1/3 of a season where there are some questions as to whether those numbers were aided by a banned substance. I wonít hash out all the details. You can, instead, watch the video and see what you get out of it, but Bauer seems to be pretty damn open about the fact that heís cheating to get the numbers heís getting.

Watch this video - https://youtu.be/-8zgvK1UAH4

The video compiles Trevor Bauerís own words and uses their specificity about what he himself might be doing to corroborate the reasons for spikes in his own performance. It also chronicles his journey from the guy that called out cheaters, to the guy who seems to be openly cheating under the guise that heís trying to prove a point. After you watch the video, do you have confidence that Trevor Bauer came by his 2020 on the up and up and can realistically be an ace without aid moving forward?

Having said that, based on merit alone, what gives you confidence that Bauer will earn his $34M a year AAV? I mean, looking at the career numbers, is this guy even a frontline pitcher in our rotation without the use of an aid to get his spin rate up?

To bring it back full circle; one thing that Trevor Bauer has shown consistently is public immaturity. In fact, I only suspect Bauer a cheater because of his blatant hints and references own immaturity issues and **** posting on Twitter.

Trying to chalk up my lack of wanting Bauer to his ďpoliticsĒ seems to be a lazy way of suggesting I donít want him because heís a Trump supporter. Let me be clear, I am not a Trump supporter, but I have friends and family that are. I donít give a **** who he votes for at the ballot box.

What I do care about is that heís a real ******* and a legitimate megalomaniac. The article below hardly even touches on the extent to which this is true. There are plenty of examples.

One such example the writer uses is when Molly Knight, who has spent so much time with this team, tweeted during the 2017 WS that CK deserves a championship while praising him as the hardest working pitcher in baseball (and, yes, heís earned that reputation). The fact that Bauer - as a guy who had literally done nothing up to that point in his career and had no business being involved in the conversation - replied by essentially by telling her to prove it is a microcosm which speaks volumes to these issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspi...1845368579/amp

If you put it all together, IMO, it looks like we paid a lot of money for a headache that isnít likely to duplicate its success.

I hope he performs. Moreover, I hope he cleans up his act off the field. Heís got too big of a voice to be such a bully and an ******* and heís simply not good enough to warrant that level of distraction.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 02-08-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Iím not a fan of the Bauer signing and, no, itís not about his ďpoliticsĒ, though there certainly is an element of that which has something to do with it.

Letís first talk merit and then Iíll bring it back around full circle.

Trevor Bauer has pitched 7 full MLB seasons. Iím counting 2020 as a full season in this tally because it was his best year and I know the pro-Bauer crowd will want to lean on that. I will project his 2020 numbers to reflect that, even though we know he was already slowing down when the regular season ended.

* () denotes ranking amongst active leaders with a minimum of 1000 innings pitched. Generally, no one on these list has <7 years of MLB experience.

Career ERA: 3.90 (31st)
    Career FIP: 3.85 (28th)
    Career ERA+: 113 (23rd)
    Career WHIP: 1.265 (32nd)
    Number of Seasons < 4.0 ERA: 2
    Number of Seasons < 4.0 FIP: 4 (3.99 in 2016 and 3.88 in 2017)
    Number of seasons > 200 IP: 2 (219IP projected for 2020)

Look, this FO is smarter than me and I can generally see the good in what theyíve done. There are only two things I like about this deal: (1) itís short, and (2) itís showing that, despite some strange criticisms otherwise, this FO is willing to spend.

Maybe the FO saw something last year that gave them confidence that heís figured things out. Time will tell and hopefully it proves me wrong. All I can say is, if you guys think weíre getting Trever Bauer v1.73 ERA, youíre likely in for a major disappointment.

The season numbers generally point to the same trend; Trevor Bauer has had two good years as an MLB pitcher, and one of those years was less than 1/3 of a season where there are some questions as to whether those numbers were aided by a banned substance. I wonít hash out all the details. You can, instead, watch the video and see what you get out of it, but Bauer seems to be pretty damn open about the fact that heís cheating to get the numbers heís getting.

Watch this video - https://youtu.be/-8zgvK1UAH4

The video compiles Trevor Bauerís own words and uses their specificity about what he himself might be doing to corroborate the reasons for spikes in his own performance. It also chronicles his journey from the guy that called out cheaters, to the guy who seems to be openly cheating under the guise that heís trying to prove a point. After you watch the video, do you have confidence that Trevor Bauer came by his 2020 on the up and up and can realistically be an ace without aid moving forward?

Having said that, based on merit alone, what gives you confidence that Bauer will earn his $34M a year AAV? I mean, looking at the career numbers, is this guy even a frontline pitcher in our rotation without the use of an aid to get his spin rate up?

To bring it back full circle; one thing that Trevor Bauer has shown consistently is public immaturity. In fact, I only suspect Bauer a cheater because of his blatant hints and references own immaturity issues and **** posting on Twitter.

Trying to chalk up my lack of wanting Bauer to his ďpoliticsĒ seems to be a lazy way of suggesting I donít want him because heís a Trump supporter. Let me be clear, I am not a Trump supporter, but I have friends and family that are. I donít give a **** who he votes for at the ballot box.

What I do care about is that heís a real ******* and a legitimate megalomaniac. The article below hardly even touches on the extent to which this is true. There are plenty of examples.

One such example the writer uses is when Molly Knight, who has spent so much time with this team, tweeted during the 2017 WS that CK deserves a championship while praising him as the hardest working pitcher in baseball (and, yes, heís earned that reputation). The fact that Bauer - as a guy who had literally done nothing up to that point in his career and had no business being involved in the conversation - replied by essentially by telling her to prove it is a microcosm which speaks volumes to these issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspi...1845368579/amp

If you put it all together, IMO, it looks like we paid a lot of money for a headache that isnít likely to duplicate its success.

I hope he performs. Moreover, I hope he cleans up his act off the field. Heís got too big of a voice to be such a bully and an ******* and heís simply not good enough to warrant that level of distraction.
    This deal had nothing to do with looking for a value option at pitcher and the AAV meant little to the front office. They added a top tier arm to a team that is going to go deep into the playoffs. Short term deal, with no impact on the team's ability to manage future contracts. They have the means to do it - good for them for taking the chance.

If you're the Mets, this deal sucks but the Dodgers aren't the Mets. We were not a sub 500 team fighting to make the playoffs with holes everywhere. We were the best team in baseball last year, and are looking like we are contending for a repeat in 2021. I would also say we were missing a few pieces from our starters in the postseason last year. We essentially had kershaw and Buehler and whomever else we could piece together to make a start. Price coming back, adding Bauer, I like our chances much better than a year ago even.

You don't like the guy. That's fine. If you want to argue that he doesn't make this rotation better, I would disagree. I specifically think he has the makeup to be the postseason pitcher we need in our rotation. As much as I love Kershaw and what he has meant to the Dodgers, he's been a freakish regular season arm, and pedestrian in the postseason.

Hopefully the grown men in the clubhouse won't feel too bullied or threatened by his presence. personally, I think they'll manage just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdad View Post
    This deal had nothing to do with looking for a value option at pitcher and the AAV meant little to the front office. They added a top tier arm to a team that is going to go deep into the playoffs. Short term deal, with no impact on the team's ability to manage future contracts. They have the means to do it - good for them for taking the chance.

If you're the Mets, this deal sucks but the Dodgers aren't the Mets. We were not a sub 500 team fighting to make the playoffs with holes everywhere. We were the best team in baseball last year, and are looking like we are contending for a repeat in 2021. I would also say we were missing a few pieces from our starters in the postseason last year. We essentially had kershaw and Buehler and whomever else we could piece together to make a start. Price coming back, adding Bauer, I like our chances much better than a year ago even.

You don't like the guy. That's fine. If you want to argue that he doesn't make this rotation better, I would disagree. I specifically think he has the makeup to be the postseason pitcher we need in our rotation. As much as I love Kershaw and what he has meant to the Dodgers, he's been a freakish regular season arm, and pedestrian in the postseason.

Hopefully the grown men in the clubhouse won't feel too bullied or threatened by his presence. personally, I think they'll manage just fine.
    I donít think you read anything that I wrote. I didnít argue that we or the FO should be concerned with his AAV.

Trevor Bauer, without aid, is not a top tier pitcher. He never has been... it also happens to be that heís not worth the money or the headache. I hope he proves me wrong in all aspects, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 02-08-2021 at 11:22 PM.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.Ē

- Carl Sagan

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast