Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 129
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    12,300
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    Id go with Urias
    hmmm. Actually you are right. That is a much better option and a proven one from this past year. He has that mentality. And to answer your other post, maybe Kenley? Wonder if they would move Urias to our closer and trade Kenley.


    LOL I just realized that other post was not you. You two have the same pic.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    12,300
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Maybe theyíre just gonna pay it? They are still the favorites for JT and were rumored to be in on Ozuna before he signed with Atlanta.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    damn. Crazy if that happens.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    damn. Crazy if that happens.
    It's hard for me to envision a scenario where we don't resign JT for 2 years. I can't believe it hasn't gotten done already, which concerns me.

    A couple of players need to go off of the 40-man, but I can't imagine that being much of an obstacle. Makes me wonder if any pending trades/movement are in the works, and no announcements regarding Turner until those are done.

    Surely there is mutual interest in him coming back, right?

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    12,300
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofdad View Post
    It's hard for me to envision a scenario where we don't resign JT for 2 years. I can't believe it hasn't gotten done already, which concerns me.

    A couple of players need to go off of the 40-man, but I can't imagine that being much of an obstacle. Makes me wonder if any pending trades/movement are in the works, and no announcements regarding Turner until those are done.

    Surely there is mutual interest in him coming back, right?
    That's what I'm wondering is going on also. As much as I love Kenley, I think he might be done as a consistent closer. May has the stuff to do it but Urias has proven that he can. Wonder if they would move Kenley for a 3rd baseman and/or a RHB.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,097
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Iím not a fan of the Bauer signing and, no, itís not about his ďpoliticsĒ, though there certainly is an element of that which has something to do with it.

    Letís first talk merit and then Iíll bring it back around full circle.

    Trevor Bauer has pitched 7 full MLB seasons. Iím counting 2020 as a full season in this tally because it was his best year and I know the pro-Bauer crowd will want to lean on that. I will project his 2020 numbers to reflect that, even though we know he was already slowing down when the regular season ended.

    * () denotes ranking amongst active leaders with a minimum of 1000 innings pitched. Generally, no one on these list has <7 years of MLB experience.

    Career ERA: 3.90 (31st)
    Career FIP: 3.85 (28th)
    Career ERA+: 113 (23rd)
    Career WHIP: 1.265 (32nd)
    Number of Seasons < 4.0 ERA: 2
    Number of Seasons < 4.0 FIP: 4 (3.99 in 2016 and 3.88 in 2017)
    Number of seasons > 200 IP: 2 (219IP projected for 2020)

    Look, this FO is smarter than me and I can generally see the good in what theyíve done. There are only two things I like about this deal: (1) itís short, and (2) itís showing that, despite some strange criticisms otherwise, this FO is willing to spend.

    Maybe the FO saw something last year that gave them confidence that heís figured things out. Time will tell and hopefully it proves me wrong. All I can say is, if you guys think weíre getting Trever Bauer v1.73 ERA, youíre likely in for a major disappointment.

    The season numbers generally point to the same trend; Trevor Bauer has had two good years as an MLB pitcher, and one of those years was less than 1/3 of a season where there are some questions as to whether those numbers were aided by a banned substance. I wonít hash out all the details. You can, instead, watch the video and see what you get out of it, but Bauer seems to be pretty damn open about the fact that heís cheating to get the numbers heís getting.

    Watch this video - https://youtu.be/-8zgvK1UAH4

    The video compiles Trevor Bauerís own words and uses their specificity about what he himself might be doing to corroborate the reasons for spikes in his own performance. It also chronicles his journey from the guy that called out cheaters, to the guy who seems to be openly cheating under the guise that heís trying to prove a point. After you watch the video, do you have confidence that Trevor Bauer came by his 2020 on the up and up and can realistically be an ace without aid moving forward?

    Having said that, based on merit alone, what gives you confidence that Bauer will earn his $34M a year AAV? I mean, looking at the career numbers, is this guy even a frontline pitcher in our rotation without the use of an aid to get his spin rate up?

    To bring it back full circle; one thing that Trevor Bauer has shown consistently is public immaturity. In fact, I only suspect Bauer a cheater because of his blatant hints and references own immaturity issues and **** posting on Twitter.

    Trying to chalk up my lack of wanting Bauer to his ďpoliticsĒ seems to be a lazy way of suggesting I donít want him because heís a Trump supporter. Let me be clear, I am not a Trump supporter, but I have friends and family that are. I donít give a **** who he votes for at the ballot box.

    What I do care about is that heís a real ******* and a legitimate megalomaniac. The article below hardly even touches on the extent to which this is true. There are plenty of examples.

    One such example the writer uses is when Molly Knight, who has spent so much time with this team, tweeted during the 2017 WS that CK deserves a championship while praising him as the hardest working pitcher in baseball (and, yes, heís earned that reputation). The fact that Bauer - as a guy who had literally done nothing up to that point in his career and had no business being involved in the conversation - replied by essentially by telling her to prove it is a microcosm which speaks volumes to these issues.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspi...1845368579/amp

    If you put it all together, IMO, it looks like we paid a lot of money for a headache that isnít likely to duplicate its success.

    I hope he performs. Moreover, I hope he cleans up his act off the field. Heís got too big of a voice to be such a bully and an ******* and heís simply not good enough to warrant that level of distraction.
    for a front office that usually does everything better than anyone else, that hurts to say as a Yankee fan, this move had me wondering a little bit. To me based on his career he's probably the 3rd best pitcher on your staff. You guys also have studs in May and Urias that deserve rotation spots also.

    Bauer really only has 2 season worth talking about and 1 of those like you mentioned was 11 games last yr. He has also spent all but 10 appearances in the in the 2 weakest divisions in baseball and wasn't ever even the ace on his own team other than last yr.

    I applaud your front office for there willingness to get better and spend over the LT, i'm just a little surprised that they were willing to commit 85m in the next 2yrs on this particular guy. I was thrilled the Yanks never showed interest in him because i was concerned that he could be a clubhouse cancer.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    12,300
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    for a front office that usually does everything better than anyone else, that hurts to say as a Yankee fan, this move had me wondering a little bit. To me based on his career he's probably the 3rd best pitcher on your staff. You guys also have studs in May and Urias that deserve rotation spots also.

    Bauer really only has 2 season worth talking about and 1 of those like you mentioned was 11 games last yr. He has also spent all but 10 appearances in the in the 2 weakest divisions in baseball and wasn't ever even the ace on his own team other than last yr.

    I applaud your front office for there willingness to get better and spend over the LT, i'm just a little surprised that they were willing to commit 85m in the next 2yrs on this particular guy. I was thrilled the Yanks never showed interest in him because i was concerned that he could be a clubhouse cancer.
    I'm surprised we signed him also. Especially at that price. I felt that his off the field antics would not fit well with this team. But we have great leadership (especially if Turner comes back) so he is worth a shot. Maybe he was very apologetic and humble with the Dodgers FO. Or maybe Trump lost and his voice doesn't matter anymore.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,262
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    for a front office that usually does everything better than anyone else, that hurts to say as a Yankee fan, this move had me wondering a little bit. To me based on his career he's probably the 3rd best pitcher on your staff. You guys also have studs in May and Urias that deserve rotation spots also.

    Bauer really only has 2 season worth talking about and 1 of those like you mentioned was 11 games last yr. He has also spent all but 10 appearances in the in the 2 weakest divisions in baseball and wasn't ever even the ace on his own team other than last yr.

    I applaud your front office for there willingness to get better and spend over the LT, i'm just a little surprised that they were willing to commit 85m in the next 2yrs on this particular guy. I was thrilled the Yanks never showed interest in him because i was concerned that he could be a clubhouse cancer.
    This is how I see it in a nutshell. Must be that ď81Ē connection? Maybe year 40 on this earth makes one wiser?

    Regarding his performance, maybe heís allowed to continue using whatever substance heís using and maybe it will allow him to carry that level of play over a whole year. If so, heís going to be something close to an ace.

    On talent alone, however, Iíd say heís the fifth best starter on this team behind CK, WB, DP, and Julio Urias. Iíd even put him behind Dustin May, but I think this FO doesnít trust that May has the endurance to get deep into games. Theyíll likely groom him for a prominent pen role, either at the back end of games, or in a versatile reliever role with spot starter duty.

    Regarding the sideshow ****, people act like clubhouse distractions arenít a big deal. Yeah, DR specializes in chemistry and clubhouse culture. And still, that wasnít enough to get us to retain Yasiel Puig. Bauer is an entirely different sideshow that goes hard after normal people on social media and, outside of last season, has had major clubhouse chemistry issues in the past.

    We also agree on what the contract means; itís a good indication that the FO isnít struggling to pay for the right contracts; my question is whether this was the right choice. Iíve always thought the best way to maintain longterm success is to develop from within, load up on the right kind of free agents, and only trade once those tactics have produced a surplus that you can leverage to fill a need. This move checks that box, I just donít know that Bauer was the guy for that contract.

    In either case, hoping for the best. Good luck to you guys; Iím going to be 40 this year and itís a shame that we still havenít aligned to see the bombers and the bums in WS. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    The Tweeter Handle: @DSchneider_05

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,262
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    I'm surprised we signed him also. Especially at that price. I felt that his off the field antics would not fit well with this team. But we have great leadership (especially if Turner comes back) so he is worth a shot. Maybe he was very apologetic and humble with the Dodgers FO. Or maybe Trump lost and his voice doesn't matter anymore.
    Yeah, thatís what I thought too. On the bright side, itís long sounded like heís always wanted to play here. Maybe AF said, ďcool, we want you, but you gotta cool it with the extra noise... and keep using that stick ĎemĒ lol
    The Tweeter Handle: @DSchneider_05

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    12,300
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Yeah, thatís what I thought too. On the bright side, itís long sounded like heís always wanted to play here. Maybe AF said, ďcool, we want you, but you gotta cool it with the extra noise... and keep using that stick ĎemĒ lol
    lol. Love to have been a bug on the wall with that conversation.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,751
    why are we complaining about paying Bauer 85 million for two years in his prime and ppl don't hate on the Yankees for paying Cole 100+ million when he is 37-39 years old? Would rather pay Bauer in his prime than paying 100+ for someone on his last legs. Is Bauer worth 85 million? Probably not but can anyone say that Cole is worth 100+ when he is in his late 30's?

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    12,300
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    why are we complaining about paying Bauer 85 million for two years in his prime and ppl don't hate on the Yankees for paying Cole 100+ million when he is 37-39 years old? Would rather pay Bauer in his prime than paying 100+ for someone on his last legs. Is Bauer worth 85 million? Probably not but can anyone say that Cole is worth 100+ when he is in his late 30's?
    You do have a point. It's just his personality and maturity I don't trust vs his talent. This is a championship team. If we were rebuilding then I guess you take a chance on players like this but hopefully he will not be a distraction like Puig and Machado sometimes were.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,262
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    why are we complaining about paying Bauer 85 million for two years in his prime and ppl don't hate on the Yankees for paying Cole 100+ million when he is 37-39 years old? Would rather pay Bauer in his prime than paying 100+ for someone on his last legs. Is Bauer worth 85 million? Probably not but can anyone say that Cole is worth 100+ when he is in his late 30's?
    You do have a point... Iím just not sure who that point is directed at since I also didnít like the Cole contract.

    Cole is clearly the better pitcher, both are using some sort of substance to enhance their performance, neither contract is good... so...

    Again, my gripe with the Bauer signing is simply that heís not been a very good pitcher outside of literally 1 1/3 seasons of baseball in a career that has touched parts of 9 MLB seasons.

    He also seems to suffer from unchecked mental health issues and heís had nothing but bad reviews as a teammate until Cinci.

    Again, if not for these concerns, I wouldnít care much about the $34M AAV - in fact, Iím one of VERY FEW posters that have argued that this FO isnít afraid to pass the LT for the right team and the right contracts - but when you add it all up Bauer makes very little sense to me.

    I do find it funny that some of you guys, with very little reason, are so adamant that this FO is horrible and DR is an equally horrible puppet. Yet, when I present legitimate reasons to criticize a signing, you go the opposite route and praise spending $34M AAV on a guy with a career ERA and FIP of near 4.0 and suddenly Doc is the perfect guy for the job
    The Tweeter Handle: @DSchneider_05

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    1
    But on the bright side, we've just locked up Buehler for two years!!! Honestly I was shocked at little we are paying him. $8 mil over two years. That's super cheap for a pitcher of his quality. Dude's gonna get a huge pay hike in two years when he's up again.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,751
    Quote Originally Posted by NipomoDodgerFan View Post
    But on the bright side, we've just locked up Buehler for two years!!! Honestly I was shocked at little we are paying him. $8 mil over two years. That's super cheap for a pitcher of his quality. Dude's gonna get a huge pay hike in two years when he's up again.
    He will be entering his prime at age 28-29 when he becomes a free agent. If he keeps it up the next two years, he will get a Cole type contract. Question will be it it will be from us or someone else?

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    You do have a point... Iím just not sure who that point is directed at since I also didnít like the Cole contract.

    Cole is clearly the better pitcher, both are using some sort of substance to enhance their performance, neither contract is good... so...

    Again, my gripe with the Bauer signing is simply that heís not been a very good pitcher outside of literally 1 1/3 seasons of baseball in a career that has touched parts of 9 MLB seasons.

    He also seems to suffer from unchecked mental health issues and heís had nothing but bad reviews as a teammate until Cinci.

    Again, if not for these concerns, I wouldnít care much about the $34M AAV - in fact, Iím one of VERY FEW posters that have argued that this FO isnít afraid to pass the LT for the right team and the right contracts - but when you add it all up Bauer makes very little sense to me.

    I do find it funny that some of you guys, with very little reason, are so adamant that this FO is horrible and DR is an equally horrible puppet. Yet, when I present legitimate reasons to criticize a signing, you go the opposite route and praise spending $34M AAV on a guy with a career ERA and FIP of near 4.0 and suddenly Doc is the perfect guy for the job
    What's ironic is your inability to move your personal prejudices aside to recognize the low-risk components of this deal. We have the best front office in all of baseball that has, for the last decade, been incredibly sound in their decisions to NOT sign players that would compromise the team's ability to sustain success. No organization has been more disciplined in their approach.

    They are also willing to pursue deadline talent if they think the player will push them over the top. You think Manny Machado was the poster boy for clubhouse chemistry? The players on the team wanted him badly because they knew his talent could benefit them in the postseason run. The front office knew that a few months was a low risk game. They also knew that he was a D-bag and didn't sign him to a long term deal.

    I have a lot of faith in the front office to make sound decisions about who will or will not benefit this team, and to what degree they are willing to back up those decisions. They don't make rash decisions, have literally ZERO history of that, and have incredible analytics and scouting capabilities for the type of talent they can nurture. I am sure they had access to all the YouTube videos and "evidence" you have that paints him as a fraud.

    For a clubhouse that can handle guys like Puig, Machado, Kemp, etc., I am sure they can handle Bauer's personality, and will be laser focused on winning, and nothing else.

    He was the best pitcher in the league last year - he's worth a short term risk.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •