Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Kirby Yates anyone? I didnít even realize heís an FA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...rby-yates/amp/

Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post

Yes please.
    Good find, sign Yates then call it an offseason.

Let me just say this... Clayton Kershaw is by far the greatest pitcher of this generation. As if his accomplishments in his prime donít say enough, the fact that heís evolved to remain an ace with that much mileage, the loss of velo, and all of the health issues he seems to be on the other side of now, he also doesnít seem to have a cheat bone in his body.

**** all these pretenders.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angel...MP_ECID_EZOIC)

Let me just say this... Clayton Kershaw is by far the greatest pitcher of this generation. As if his accomplishments in his prime donít say enough, the fact that heís evolved to remain an ace with that much mileage, the loss of velo, and all of the health issues he seems to be on the other side of now, he also doesnít seem to have a cheat bone in his body.

**** all these pretenders.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angel...MP_ECID_EZOIC)
    I would want Kershaw to take a pay cut after this year, he's past his prime.I would hate for AF to give a big contract for someone who is past his prime. I know that sounds harsh but too many bad contracts are given out for sentimental reasons.
    Last edited by USCFOOTBALL; 01-08-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Yes please.
    nice find Yates would be the final piece of the puzzle

Friedman seemed pretty clear he was adding a RH bat, so the only real question is whether this team is willing to go over the $210 million threshold; because they are already close according to Cots (204 million). All three of Boras' guys (Cody, Corey and Julio) got substantially more with their arbitration numbers and put us much closer to the luxury tax line than anyone had guessed.

I offer two such targets and they DO NOT include Turner, Arenado or Bryant.

Although Justin remains unsigned and would still figure to be the likely choice, someone is going to offer him a 3 yr/$50 million plus contract and even if we get the NL is using the DH news before this happens, we don't need to match. At most would be a 2-yr offer and I am not sure I would exceed $30 million in doing so.

Both Arenado and Bryant would be trading for single years of service, although the former could conceivable not opt out and finish out his 5 years and $175 million still owed to him. It would have to be a huge package to get the Rockies to trade him in-division however. The package to the Cubs would be considerably less, but then again he is a for sure UFA after 2021.

With Betts already making 30 million per and Seager going to command that as well next season, along with Bellinger knocking on the door for that type of contract, do we really want to commit to another?

No, the Dodgers best move is to go after one of two good 3B who are already signed for multi-year at a reasonable rate.

The Indians may in fact be willing to unload the switch-hitting Jose Ramirez, who is signed for 9 million for this season but has club options of 11 and 13 million the following two, perhaps too rich for the Cleveland brass.

The Reds, who are willing to entertain offers for Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo if someone will take on one of their other large contracts (they would prefer it be Moustakas or Castellanos- but those deals are all but immovable) might bite on moving 3B Eugenio Suarez, who has close to $60 million still left on his contract through 2024 (2 million buyout for the final year would make it 45.5 million). The Dodgers, who sat back and watched the Padres snag Blake Snell, could counter by adding the younger Luis Castillo (by a whole week) in a prospect package that also netted them Suarez.

What would the Indians and Reds Want?

The Indians would most definitely want Lux in any Ramirez package as well as young pitching. A Gonsolin-led package that may include Mitchell White or Edwin Uceta might get it done.

By including Castillo, the Reds most assuredly would want Josiah Gray back and perhaps would be interested in Keibert Ruiz. The Dodgers could really increase the prospect haul and perhaps pry LHP Amir Garrett in the deal as well. Such a prospect package (and taking on the 16 million in payroll relief) perhaps they could unload the final year and 2022 buyout contract of Joe Kelly.

The Tribe will likely be more inclined to keep Ramirez after unloading Lindor, so I think the Reds are the way to go:

Proposed Trade:

Dodgers send RHP's Joe Kelly and Tony Gonsolin, OF Zach Reks along with 4 prospects in RHP Josiah Gray (#1), 3B Kody Hoese (#3), RHP Gerardo Carrillo (#16) and IF Devin Mann (#19) to the Cincinnati Reds for 3B Eugenio Suarez, RHP Luis Castillo and LHP Amir Garrett

2021 Dodgers:

Rotation: (10)

RHP Walker Buehler $3,750,000 (Arbitration est)
    LHP Clayton Kershaw $31,000,000
    RHP Luis Castillo $4,200,000
    LHP David Price $15,000,000*
    RHP Dustin May
    LHP Julio Urias $3,600,000
    RHP Jimmy Nelson
    RHP Mitchell White
    RHP Andre Jackson
    RHP Edwin Uceta

Bullpen: (14)

RHP Kenley Jansen $16,000,000
    LHP Amir Garrett $1,500,000
    RHP Blake Treinen $8,750,000
    LHP Victor Gonzalez
    RHP Corey Knebel $5,250,000
    LHP Jake McGee $1,000,000**
    RHP Brusdar Graterol
    LHP Scott Alexander $1,000,000
    RHP Tommy Kahnle $2,100,000 (DL)
    LHP Caleb Ferguson (DL)
    RHP Dylan Floro $975,000
    LHP Adam Kolarek
    RHP Dennis Santana
    LHP Garrett Cleavinger/Enny Romero
    RHP Brandon Morrow
    RHP Josh Sborz

Lineup: (9)

RF Mookie Betts (R) $25,555,000
    SS Corey Seager (L) $13,750,000
    3B Eugenio Saurez (R) $9,429,000
    CF Cody Bellinger (L) $16,100,000
    C Will Smith (R)
    1B Max Muncy (L) $8,667,000
    LF A.J. Pollock (R) $12,000,000
    DH Edwin Rios (L)
    2B Gavin Lux (L)

Bench: (8)

IF/OF Chris Taylor (R) $6,700,000
    IF Zach McKinstry (L)
    C Austin Barnes (R) $1,750,000 (Arb est)
    IF Matt Beaty (L)
    OF D.J. Peters (R)
    OF Luke Raley (L)
    C Keibert Ruiz (S)
    OF Cody Thomas (R)

Rotation: (5) $57,500,000
    Bullpen: (8) $36,575,000
    Lineup: (6) $85,501,000
    Bench: (2) $8,450,000

Subtotal: (21) $188,026,000

Money Owed: $564,000 (Minnesota for Kenta Maeda)

0-3 Players: (6) $4,200,000 (est)

Other 40-man/CBA: $2,250,000
    Players Benefits/CBA: $15,500,000

Grand Total: $210,540,000
    Last edited by bkt42; 01-16-2021 at 01:28 PM.

pass on Suarez. He is another Joc who will hit the HR and strikeout the rest of the time. I prefer guys like Turner who will put the ball and play and get you 15-20 HR's over someone who may hit 30+ bombs and strike out 300+ times a year and have a 220-.240 batting average. Wouldn't be opposed to having Smith develop into a 3rd baseman. We probably have the best catching prospects and eventually 2-3 years from now they will become our starter. Gotta find room for the other ones to play.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    pass on Suarez. He is another Joc who will hit the HR and strikeout the rest of the time. I prefer guys like Turner who will put the ball and play and get you 15-20 HR's over someone who may hit 30+ bombs and strike out 300+ times a year and have a 220-.240 batting average. Wouldn't be opposed to having Smith develop into a 3rd baseman. We probably have the best catching prospects and eventually 2-3 years from now they will become our starter. Gotta find room for the other ones to play.
    He is a career .261 hitter and basing his average on the short-seasons pandemic year is as absurd as saying Cody Bellinger is a .240 hitter. In full seasons, Suarez has hit .248/.260/.283/.271; none of them has even remotely approached between .220 and .240.

What is even better is he has an above average on-base mark, despite striking out a ton. He put up a .367/.366/.358 mark over those three years prior to last season. Couple that with the fact that he absolutely crushes LHP, something our lineup is sorely missing.

Of course I would rather have Turner, but not at 36-years old where his decline is imminent and certainly not for multiple years at much more salary.

Despite the obvious that my proposed trade was also to net Castillo and Garrett; Suarez would be a 9.5 million cap hit over the next 4 years during his age 29-32 seasons. I would jump all over that.

JT is going to get a 3/50 minimum offer and it most certainly SHOULD NOT come from us.....

bkt42 - solid analysis and Iím mostly in agreement.

I like Suarez too. My only concern with high k-rates is that those guys will fall off a shelf as their bat speeds start to slow, but Eugenio is still young and that shouldnít be a problem for the remainder of his contract. 2020 peripheral data does give me some concerns in that regard, but his contract and plus side is a huge win if he can round back to form.

Ramirez would be my guy though if Iím targeting a trade - heís older and likely pricier in terms of a return package, but heís also the more solid bet.

What would you think about holding onto our youngsters and plugging that hole with CT3 or Semien?

I'm kinda pissed they missed out on Yates and Hendriks.

I'm in the choice of resigning Turner, as he is the heart and soul of this team. He could be the full time DH and have Taylor play 3rd. He has a good arm. He had a decent year last year. What do you guys think?

Well, like Friedman already let out of the bag, the Dodgers need a RH bat in the worse way.

One could argue they needed one even with Turner, and now they are minus him and Hernandez.

The two guys in line for more PT are both LHB's in Edwin Rios and Zack McKinstry.

It doesn't help that the RH bats we do have stunk up the joint vs LHP last season, albeit a shortened affair:

Betts hit .200/.313/.218/.531
    Taylor hit .200/.333/.360/.693

even JT was way off his norm:

Turner hit .234/.362/.383/.745

Smith was ok, but none of his 8 homers were against a lefty.

The one righty who raked against LHP was Pollock, only for him to disappear again in the postseason...

I am fine bringing Turner back, but I dont go more than 2 years with him- even if they approve the DH.

Semien has had one good year in his career, but does hit LH rather well as his OPS is some 90 pts higher against southpaws, so for the right price since he is an above average defender I would consider it.

Ramirez is option one, but I just dont think the Indians are moving him.
    Bryant would be nice, but it is a one year commitment and only complicates our "who we give 30 to" future decisions
    Arenado isn't getting moved inside the division and is owed way too much money

So that leaves Suarez, but I am only majorly interested if we can pry at least Garrett, but more desirable Castillo from them in a prospect package deal.

Undoubtedly though, Marcell Ozuna (who is only 30) is the one guy who would do absolute wonders for this team.

If they approved the DH, it would still give us plenty of options. Muncy, Bellinger, Taylor, Rios, McKinstry and possibly even Smith could handle the corner infield spots and you would have Ozuna's RH bat in the lineup all the time with Betts.

Just not sure what his price will be.

Anyway you slice it, we need to bring in AT LEAST one more RH bat

Go for broke this season and bring in the trifecta of Bauer, Ozuna and Hand....(as well as a one year $1 million deal with Jake McGee)

Rotation:

RHP Trevor Bauer
    LHP Clayton Kershaw
    RHP Walker Buehler
    LHP Julio Urias
    RHP Dustin May
    LHP David Price

Bullpen:

RHP Kenley Jansen
    LHP Brad Hand
    RHP Corey Knebel
    LHP Victor Gonzalez