Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Hall of Fame Induction Class would be the best Starting 5?

Title is self explanatory. Which Hall of Fame Induction Class would be the best starting 5? Anyone who was inducted as a coach but was also a player can be used as a player. If there weren't 5 NBA players, you must use WNBA players if they were inducted that year, and if not, a player who retired the same season (or a league average player).

Here are some of the stronger classes (IMO):

2020:
    Kobe Bryant
    Tamika Catchings (WNBA)
    Rudy Tomjanovich
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan

2018:
    Steve Nash
    Jason Kidd
    Ray Allen
    Grant Hill
    Dino Radja (or could use Maurice Cheeks)

2009:
    John Stockton
    Jerry Sloan
    Michael Jordan
    C. Vivian Stringer (WNBA)
    David Robinson

1993:
    Calvin Murphy
    Dr. J
    Dan Issel
    Walt Bellamy
    Bill Walton

Which do you think would be best? Are there any I'm leaving out you feel would be best?

Any grouping with a WNBA player would likely lose in a match up against a side without one. The level is too steep. I think it would be better to compare without that caveat

^and the 2009 one is a coach, not a player.

The issue here is that you rarely have 4 or more players in a year. There is absolutely no induction year with a starting 5 apart from 2018.

1982 for example was a great year with Hal Greer, Willis Reed, Slater Martin and Franck Ramsey (part of the Celtics dynasty).

One of the greatest years was 1987:
    Pete Maravich, Walt Frazier, Rick Barry, Bobby Wanzer (one of the first MVPs)
    Also stops at 4 players.

This can only work for trios, which gives us:
    1980 (West, Robertson, Jerry Lucas)
    1982 (Greer, Reed, Martin)
    1983 (DeBusschere, Twyman, Bradley)
    1987 (Maravich, Frazier, Barry)
    1990 (Hayes, Johnston, Monroe or Bing)
    1992 (Lanier, Belov*, Hawkins)
    1993 (Erving, Walton and Bellamy or Issel)
    1996 (Gervin, David Thompson, Cosic* or Goodrich)
    2003 (Worthy, Parish, Meneghin*)
    2006 (Barkley, Dominique, Dumars)
    2009 (Jordan, Robinson, Stockton)
    2008 (Hakeem, Ewing, Dantley)
    2010 (Karl Malone, Pippen, Dennis Johnson)
    2011 (Sabonis, Gilmore, Rodman or Mullin)
    2012 (Reggie Miller, Wilkes, Ralph Sampson or Mel Daniels)
    2013 (Payton, Bernard King, Oscar Schmidt*)
    2014 (Mourning, Richmond, Marciulionis)
    2015 (Mutombo, JoJo White, Spencer Haywood)
    2016 (Shaquille O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Yao Ming)
    2017 (McGrady, Galis*, McGinnis)
    2018 (Hill, Nash, Kidd) with Ray Allen, Dino Radja* and Mo Cheeks to spare
    2019 (Moncrief, Bobby Jones, Sikma)
    2020 (Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett)

If we could also merge the 2001 sole entrant with the two 2002 entrants, we'd have Moses Malone paired with Magic Johnson and Drazen Petrovic. Which would be the greatest trio of them all.

- Sergey Belov is still considered the greatest basketball of Russia (ex Soviet Union) of all time.
    - Kresimir Cosic was one of the greatest players of the early 1970s in the world. He was also one of the best college players but he returned to Yugoslavia rather than take his chances in the not so popular or wealthy NBA at the time.
    - Dino Meneghin is the greatest Italian player of all time and widely considered as a candidate for greatest European ever. He truly was something special.
    - Oscar Schmidt was considered the greatest player to not play in the NBA and the best player to come out of the southern hemisphere. He is one of the greatest shooters and scorers of all time. He managed to play for 30 years, including the top two leagues in Europe at the time.
    - Nick Galis has a similar story with Schmidt, as he also never played in the NBA, but had he not been injured he'd be part of the 80s Celtics. One of the deadliest scorers of all time, and Drazen always felt uncomfortable against him, claiming that "if I'm the devil's son, Galis is the devil himself". One of the greatest scorers of all time in Europe who even surprised Michael Jordan when they played against each other.
    - Dino Radja is one of the greatest European players of the 90s, and arguably a top 10 player of all time in this side of the world. He was extremely underrated in the NBA as it took a while to settle and the team was in a bad situation. He returned to Europe quite early given what he still had to offer.

I honestly cannot decide how my Top 5 picks from those trios would look like, as I definitely like a lot of them. One that will not be one of the best but definitely would be amazing to watch would be 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Any grouping with a WNBA player would likely lose in a match up against a side without one. The level is too steep. I think it would be better to compare without that caveat
    Brittney Griner could hold her own against some of the players we see today. Granted she's not in the HoF yet but that's just an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Title is self explanatory. Which Hall of Fame Induction Class would be the best starting 5? Anyone who was inducted as a coach but was also a player can be used as a player. If there weren't 5 NBA players, you must use WNBA players if they were inducted that year, and if not, a player who retired the same season (or a league average player).

Here are some of the stronger classes (IMO):

2020:
    Kobe Bryant
    Tamika Catchings (WNBA)
    Rudy Tomjanovich
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan

2018:
    Steve Nash
    Jason Kidd
    Ray Allen
    Grant Hill
    Dino Radja (or could use Maurice Cheeks)

2009:
    John Stockton
    Jerry Sloan
    Michael Jordan
    C. Vivian Stringer (WNBA)
    David Robinson

1993:
    Calvin Murphy
    Dr. J
    Dan Issel
    Walt Bellamy
    Bill Walton

Which do you think would be best? Are there any I'm leaving out you feel would be best?
    I think it boils down to how you view a peak all-time great WNBA player at the NBA level. I can't say I know much about Catchings, for example, but looking at her BR page, she's a 6'1"-6'2" forward with some legit shooting skills and multiple DPOY awards. At worst, isn't she at least a competent G-League level or lower rotational level player in the NBA?

At her size, she's probably tasked with keeping up with guards versus bigs, which is probably the biggest challenge. But if she can play sound fundamental team defense and adjust to the 3-point NBA range, I don't think it's unrealistic to think a team with Kobe, KG, Duncan and peak Tomjanovich couldn't still be dominant with her on that roster.

If you think she could hold her own, I think 2020 is your answer. If you don't, but you think Radja could make up for the lack of size on the 2018 squad, maybe that's your answer. 2009 is obviously stacked, but Stringer is a coach, not a player, so that's a pass for me. And the 93 team is the only one with five true NBA Hall of Famers, but I just question the lack of spacing on that team with three bigs starting against a modern squad with legit 3-point shooters and floor spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Brittney Griner could hold her own against some of the players we see today. Granted she's not in the HoF yet but that's just an example.
    she's slow as hell and in no way can match up with the strength of an actual grown man regardless if they are NBA back end of the bench or G-League. Always a chance that she could score a bucket or two, but so can I if I were left wide open. Its just a silly discussion. There's a reason why the women's Olympic teams usually get the floor wiped with them by high school all american squads in both basketball and soccer, and why there is so much controversy about letting trans athletes into womens sports.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    You don't think that if the 2020 HoF starting lineup above were in the league today they'd win games? Do you think they'd be the worst team in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    This can only work for trios, which gives us:
    Trio's is too easy. There are a lot of good trio's there, but Jordan, D-Rob, Stockton and Kobe, Duncan, KG are clearly ahead of any other trio.

You don't think that if the 2020 HoF starting lineup above were in the league today they'd win games? Do you think they'd be the worst team in the league?
    they might be able to pull it off due to having a bench player to sub in for the WNBA player, but if its purely 5-on-5 with no backups, a regular NBA team is killing that HoF lineup because they just rotate their best scorer to match up against the WNBA player and score like 80 points in that game... if KG/Duncan/Kobe/Rudy do a defensive help rotation, they'll easily be a ton more fatigued by halftime due to no backups to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    they might be able to pull it off due to having a bench player to sub in for the WNBA player, but if its purely 5-on-5 with no backups, a regular NBA team is killing that HoF lineup because they just rotate their best scorer to match up against the WNBA player and score like 80 points in that game... if KG/Duncan/Kobe/Rudy do a defensive help rotation, they'll easily be a ton more fatigued by halftime due to no backups to come in.
    I could not disagree more. If it were that easy, every team would just rotate their best scorer to match up against the other teams worst defender and win every time. Help defense, rotations, and zone prevent this, and it doesn't take nearly as much energy as you think. Duncan is one of the greatest rim protecting defenders of all-time and KG is perhaps the greatest perimeter defending big man ever.

I think this team squashes many current NBA teams to be honest.

I could not disagree more. If it were that easy, every team would just rotate their best scorer to match up against the other teams worst defender and win every time. Help defense, rotations, and zone prevent this, and it doesn't take nearly as much energy as you think. Duncan is one of the greatest rim protecting defenders of all-time and KG is perhaps the greatest perimeter defending big man ever.

I think this team squashes many current NBA teams to be honest.
    There's a GINORMOUS difference between a bonafide NBA player and a WNBA player in a starting lineup. A WNBA player is going to be a defensive sieve against a NBA player, regardless of rotation - even the most athletic WNBA players have the footspeed and explosiveness of a slow big-man and strength equal to the average skinny teenage boy. Its basically 5 on 4.5 basketball. We're not talking about a 5-teenage boy starting lineup, but a 5-NBA player starting lineup here.
    Last edited by AntiG; 12-16-2020 at 06:23 PM.

There's a GINORMOUS difference between a bonafide NBA player and a WNBA player in a starting lineup. A WNBA player is going to be a defensive sieve against a NBA player, regardless of rotation - even the most athletic WNBA players have the footspeed and explosiveness of a slow big-man and strength equal to the average skinny teenage boy. Its basically 5 on 4.5 basketball. We're not talking about a 5-teenage boy starting lineup, but a 5-NBA player starting lineup here.
    And the could say the same thing about the worst players in an NBA training camp, were one of them starting alongside Kobe, KG, Duncan they'd still kill it.

I don't believe a lineup of Collin Sexton, Darius Garland, Cedi Osman, Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson beats a lineup of Kobe Bryant, Tamika Catchings, Rudy Tomjanovich, Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan.

I don't even think the game would be that close tbh. And not because Tamika is that good. I think that team wins with even a JUCO player in her place. Or even a non-NBA bound but still fairly good HS player. That's the gap everywhere else.

I like 2016, 2019 and 2020

The AI, Shaq, Yao Ming team would be hard to stop

Agreed. How many replays do you see where a help defender just barely misses a block on a 3 point ball or any jump shot? a WNBA player gets that open shot blocked by help defender bc they are shorter and cant jump as high, not to mention the release point and angle is going to change because of the further distance of the 3 ball. You can almost play 5 on 4 defense and leave her open because of this.

This is almost as humorous as that take that the best college football team can beat the worst NFL team.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Yeah, it is ridiculous to include women athletes here. It is very rare to have 5 players inducted the same year anyway so there's effectively less than a handful of options to pick from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast