Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1322 of 1327 FirstFirst ... 32282212221272131213201321132213231324 ... LastLast
Results 19,816 to 19,830 of 19899
    Quote Originally Posted by Knicks Boogie View Post
    Very well put... most NBA fans are caught up with names instead of noticing guys work ethic and their learning curve... guys like Michael Redd, Brandon Roy, Chauncey Billups, Danny Granger were late bloomers who were great players who really never got the respect their deserved. I will always follow my eye test and I saw early on that Julius had potential to be an allstar when he was in LA. The aggressiveness, the never back down to anyone, the improvement in his shot every year, the transformation of his body and the way he handles the ball and passing vision for a guy his size... these are all things that I saw before he was a Knick. I see some of the same characteristics in Obi. I just hope he gets the minutes some how to make the type of improvements that Julius has made.

Julius Randle is the leader of this team for the next 4+ years unless RJ makes a huge jump but I'm very happy with the way this team as a whole is developing... We actually rebuilt the team well.
    Brandon Roy was a late bloomer? Dude was the #6 pick, and won ROY

All those guys showed early they were at least good players. Randle was a double-double guy as a rookie. No one doubted his talents, or that he had the ability. Was more about would he correct his weaknesses. This year is huge for Obi IMO. Iíve never liked or wanted him, but if he shows he can be a reliable positive player for 15-20 minutes, Iíll soften my stance on him. Comparing him to Randle is laughable at this point, though. Typically guys that are going to be something at least start carving out some decent time/role for themselves in year 2
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 09-14-2021 at 11:16 AM.

The Westchester Knicks have traded Bryce Brown to the Long Island Nets in exchange for Jaylen Hands

Hands, the 56th overall pick in the 2019 draft, played in Serbia last season and averaged 8.5 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.5 blocks through 12 games. He played for the Cleveland Cavaliers during the 2021 NBA Summer League.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Brandon Roy was a late bloomer? Dude was the #6 pick, and won ROY

All those guys showed early they were at least good players. Randle was a double-double guy as a rookie. No one doubted his talents, or that he had the ability. Was more about would he correct his weaknesses. This year is huge for Obi IMO. Iíve never liked or wanted him, but if he shows he can be a reliable positive player for 15-20 minutes, Iíll soften my stance on him. Comparing him to Randle is laughable at this point, though. Typically guys that are going to be something at least start carving out some decent time/role for themselves in year 2
    Billups was a late bloomer no denying that. off the top of my head quickly you add Nash to the list and there are others you know that.

Circumstances have lots to do with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Billups was a late bloomer no denying that. off the top of my head quickly you add Nash to the list and there are others you know that.

Circumstances have lots to do with it as well.
    Billups was still playing though. Not rotting on the bench. Nash as well, his minutes were rising every year. Like I said, this year is key. If Obi plays well enough to carve out a role, thatís a good sign

2021 Knicks Trade/FA Thread

Billups was still playing though. Not rotting on the bench. Nash as well, his minutes were rising every year. Like I said, this year is key. If Obi plays well enough to carve out a role, thatís a good sign
    Nash only played 10 mins a night as a rookie. I also think if Toppin got 25 mins a night and shot as poorly as C Billups did entering the league youd feel worse about him. Toppin will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Nash only played 10 mins a night as a rookie. I also think if Toppin got 25 mins a night and shot as poorly as C Billups did entering the league youd feel worse about him. Toppin will be fine.

Because you said it, that makes it so?

Itís not impossible, of course. But the longer a guy canít force his way on the court, the worse the odds. How many really go several years of being bad, or not playing, to be anything impactful?

Billups was at least still playing. Most of the guys everyone likes to point to that were bad, or non-factors as rookies, saw jumps in time/play on year two, which then just continued to rise
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 09-16-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Because you said it, that makes it so?

Itís not impossible, of course. But the longer a guy canít force his way on the court, the worse the odds. How many really go several years of being bad, or not playing, to be anything impactful?

Billups was at least still playing. Most of the guys everyone likes to point to that were bad, or non-factors as rookies, saw jumps in time/play on year two, which then just continued to rise
    Not b/c I said so but that is my opinion. It's also my opinion that at least Billups was playing argument is disingenuous. If Obi Toppin played 27 mins a night last year at shooting 37% from the field and having an eFG% of 44% you would not have rated his season better than the one he had. You would be killing him.

Do you think he can't make a jump? If so why not?

Not b/c I said so but that is my opinion. It's also my opinion that at least Billups was playing argument is disingenuous. If Obi Toppin played 27 mins a night last year at shooting 37% from the field and having an eFG% of 44% you would not have rated his season better than the one he had. You would be killing him.

Do you think he can't make a jump? If so why not?
    He could barely consistently give a quality 11 minutes per night, there was no way he could play 27 per lol. Iíd be lying if I said I remember how good Billups was besides his shooting, but he played a lot, so Iíll assume he was at least doing something right. Just because youíre a bad shooter, doesnít mean you arenít good

I did not say he canít make a jump. I said that the longer it takes for him to prove it, the worse the odds get he pans out. Another year of 11 minutes a night or close, heís got bust written all over him. I never liked him or the pick, but Iíve never said anythingís looking like a certainty. All I say, to this point, nothing is making me doubt that initial take. If we see him getting to the 20 minute mark, and contributing nightly, that makes me start thinking about it
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 09-16-2021 at 12:56 PM.

He could barely consistently give a quality 11 minutes per night, there was no way he could play 27 per lol. Iíd be lying if I said I remember how good Billups was besides his shooting, but he played a lot, so Iíll assume he was at least doing something right. Just because youíre a bad shooter, doesnít mean you arenít good

I did not say he canít make a jump. I said that the longer it takes for him to prove it, the worse the odds get he pans out. Another year of 11 minutes a night or close, heís got bust written all over him. I never liked him or the pick, but Iíve never said anythingís looking like a certainty. All I say, to this point, nothing is making me doubt that initial take. If we see him getting to the 20 minute mark, and contributing nightly, that makes me start thinking about it

That's, not a logical assumption. his #s stunk and multiple teams totally gave up on him his first couple of years despite being picked 3rd. Obi Toppin definitely could have stunk and played 27 mins. What Knicks teams have you been watching for the last 20 years or so? If he continues to sit it's b/c his coach doesn't think he is good enough to help the team with more mins. That usually means a guy isn't going to pan out and could mean that in Toppin's case as well.

That's, not a logical assumption. his #s stunk and multiple teams totally gave up on him his first couple of years despite being picked 3rd. Obi Toppin definitely could have stunk and played 27 mins. What Knicks teams have you been watching for the last 20 years or so? If he continues to sit it's b/c his coach doesn't think he is good enough to help the team with more mins. That usually means a guy isn't going to pan out and could mean that in Toppin's case as well.
    Like I said lol..if heís not playing, itís not a good sign. And I donít agree with people saying ďsee this handful of guys that got better late in their careerĒ to make them feel better. And even worse, they didnít even prove the point. Way more guys that suck early, keep sucking later. Every case is different though. The right answer isnít always ďhave patienceĒ. Sometimes cutting bait and moving on is the right move too

I said the same stuff about RJ coming into the year. Not as extreme, but he had to show us something. He did, and I gave him plenty of props for it. Now itís Obis turn
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 09-16-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Like I said lol..if heís not playing, itís not a good sign. And I donít agree with people saying ďsee this handful of guys that got better late in their careerĒ to make them feel better. And even worse, they didnít even prove the point. Way more guys that suck early, keep sucking later. Every case is different though. The right answer isnít always ďhave patienceĒ. Sometimes cutting bait and moving on is the right move too
    There are more guys that suck then guys that are good. Almost everyone sucked there first year though. Why are we taking about later in his career?

Last edited by ewing; 09-16-2021 at 02:00 PM.

There are more guys that suck then guys that are good. Almost everyone sucked there first year though. Why are we taking about later in his career?

Why I said year 2 is big..it wasnít me talking about his later career, I was just saying we should hope to see some solid improvement. It was then mentioned about late bloomers, names, etc..
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 09-16-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Why I said year 2 is big..it wasnít me talking about his later career, I was just saying we should hope to see some solid improvement. It was then mentioned about late bloomers, names, etc..
    Gotcha. Year 2 is a telling year in my opinion. I feel in most context players should get better in year two. In your first season, you are transitioning into a league that is much more talented, officiated much differently, and usually, you are going from being the centerpiece of a team to someone that has to fit in. It's a big adjustment. I think we saw Obi trying to figure that out in the first half of the season last year. I think he will generally be better at the things we saw last year (shooting, off-ball plays, transition) and we will see some up and down as he expands and looks to create a little more.

If Obi or Q look the same or worse in their mins I think it is a bad developmental sign
    Last edited by ewing; 09-16-2021 at 03:38 PM.

He wonít play 20 min per game regardless of his play. Thereís almost no path for him to get there. He would need to get 5-8 minutes per game at C to come close.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    He wonít play 20 min per game regardless of his play. Thereís almost no path for him to get there. He would need to get 5-8 minutes per game at C to come close.
    I think 20 mins is a bit of a long shot. Iím guessing somewhere between 14- 18 is most likely without any injuries. I do think both small and big lineups could be playable but Thibs seems to really value playing units together so I wouldnít expect a lot of deviation. If Toppin was good and Thibs was willing to say Iíll run a small or a big line up ďsome nightsĒ it could boost Toppins mins but that doesnít seem to be his style.