Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 74 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1631
  1. #1096
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,558
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Everything you said is true but can also be perceived as miss steps or mistakes. Which is ok, it happens. Losing those two cost us the season, but it’s not the end of the world. We can replace them. It would be a lot harder if they were star level talents. It’s all good we can move on.

    Also with respect to the cap space, I’m pretty sure they wanted all that cap space for Giannis and now he’s not an option and when you look at the team pay roll, we really don’t have that much cap space next year, because all the extensions kick in.

    I don’t disagree about Norm. I’m not sure how much it would take to sign him here but we would also have to resign Trent Jr and then make a decision on Lowry as well.

    I also don't disagree that it was mistake to hold out hope for Giannis in any shape or form. II just hope this season reminds them that a good big is still very valuable. I just don't know who they can target.

    Also ecart, I don't think that is going to be a problem again this off season....and I agree I hope they don't do it again any time soon. If they weren't going to give a guaranteed 2nd year to Gasol, Ibaka or Boucher though I doubt they were going to offer it to anyone else. It's not like this team should be this bad. They should have still been a playoff team if not for covid costing them their home and then zapping their best players. If that happened though it would have been interesting to see if they still would have traded Powell..

  2. #1097
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,199
    Holup.

    We’re going to have 20 mil in cap space even if we pick up the option on boucher and retain GTJr?

  3. #1098
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,006
    If they renounce all rights to everyone not under guaranteed contracts or pick up options, they have $29.7. If they keep Boucher, Bembry and Watson's options and GTJ's bird rights, then it is $19.9M (I'm assuming 10th pick). I think it is going to be less with incentives and bonuses we don't know about (Lowry had a 500k bonus last season). So to be safe, it is probably ~$18M. For all we know, FVV might have a bonus for hitting 20ppg.
    Last edited by ecart; 04-01-2021 at 06:24 PM.

  4. #1099
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,465
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Holup.

    We’re going to have 20 mil in cap space even if we pick up the option on boucher and retain GTJr?
    But will the Raptors even want to? I can see them keeping GTJ way before I can ever see them keepin Boucher who at times has shown he can be a dominant center in this league but then he becomes inconsistent at most times

  5. #1100
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,006
    Boucher is too cheap for them not to keep.

  6. #1101
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,465
    Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    Boucher is too cheap for them not to keep.
    That is very true

  7. #1102
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,199
    Yeah boucher is a bargain. Could add a nice piece for that cap. Not nice than Lowry though.

  8. #1103
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,006
    idk i dont think 20 goes as far as it once did. we got unlucky with siakam. a year later, i doubt he gets 30+.

  9. #1104
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    21,198
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    A “legit” playoff team wouldn’t have to go through a play in tournament simply to get in to the playoffs. That’s for the guys that would other wise tank. A legit playoff team is higher seeded and is expected to atleast reach the 2nd round. This team can’t win a game, and would have to fight just to get a spot in the play in tourni.

    Fooling ourselves to think this is a playoff team as constructed right now could end up costing us a lotto pick.

    We have 20 something games left. Aren’t you at least intrigued by the possibility of adding a very talented young player to the core of this group?

    Do you know how the Spurs got to draft Tim Duncan after being a perennial playoff team? They went through a lost season due to injury. Now we didn’t have any freak injuries, but this is pretty much a lost season. Why not go after that pick? Because we’re a few games out of the last play in tourni? Does watching this team in that tourni going to be worth missing out on a top pick? I really don’t think so. I think we can take a small step back to take a bigger step forward for next season.

    It's not really about what we want. The fact is they have every reason to win games because the play in incentivised it. They are a proud group and it is easy to see based on their body language and what they say in interviews that they havent given up. You won't see me complain if they lose out because obviously a top 5 pick would be fantastic. That goes without saying.


    This team has holes but yeah I don't believe they are far off from being a team that can get to the second round any given season. I'll go as far as saying that I see this season as a fluke. That is not to say that I think this team is very good because they do need to add some talent but they are not this bad either.

    Would you have looked at the Knicks before this year as a top 6 team in the East? The Hornets are sitting at 4th. The Celtics and Pacers 8th and 9th. Its been a weird season but one can somewhat explain it with this crazy schedule, playing in Tampa and covid.

    I'll be the first to say I'm wrong if they suck next yr but I expect them to be back in the playoffs next season.


    Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by aman_13; 04-01-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

  10. #1105
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    7,787
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I don't expect him to do anything drastic with OG/Siakam/FVV. They are all locked in and this season has been a contextual nightmare to evaluate their short/long term value. Even with COVID recovery, relocation, etc., I'd argue FVV and OG are showing they are worth the contracts they signed. Siakam is the guy with legitimate questions around him, but I can't see them pulling the trigger on anything this summer.

    I think we'll see them try to add 3 building blocks around OG/Siakam/FVV. The first will likely be Trent Jr, as he is an RFA and they dealt Powell for him. The next will be in the draft lottery. And the final big piece will be using that 20 million in cap space to go after another impact player who is still relatively young through a trade or free agency.

    Then they probably keep Boucher, Harris and Flynn.
    Make decisions on Bembry, Watson, Watanabe.
    Say goodbye to Stanley Johnson, Pat McCaw, Aron Baynes, Rodney Hood, Kyle Lowry
    I agree that they probably won't touch Fredy or OG. But Siakam may be a fair game if there is a good enough deal that comes through (Eg. Beal). I don't think he is untouchable like he use to be. I still hope the bounces back and keeps improving. But the money he makes and the inconsistencies he has shown may have changed his status.

  11. #1106
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    It's not really about what we want. The fact is they have every reason to win games because the play in incentivised it. They are a proud group and it is easy to see based on their body language and what they say in interviews that they havent given up. You won't see me complain if they lose out because obviously a top 5 pick would be fantastic. That goes without saying.


    This team has holes but yeah I don't believe they are far off from being a team that can get to the second round any given season. I'll go as far as saying that I see this season as a fluke. That is not to say that I think this team is very good because they do need to add some talent but they are not this bad either.

    Would you have looked at the Knicks before this year as a top 6 team in the East? The Hornets are sitting at 4th. The Celtics and Pacers 8th and 9th. Its been a weird season but one can somewhat explain it with this crazy schedule, playing in Tampa and covid.

    I'll be the first to say I'm wrong if they suck next yr but I expect them to be back in the playoffs next season.


    Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    Celtics and Pacers not really. They were both teams that were always injuries away from missing the playoffs. TJ Warren had a season ending injury really early on. Celtics have been leaking talent last couple seasons and have never replaced them. They got lucky last season with everyone being relatively healthy but they were always known for lacking depth.

    Knicks weren't that far off last season. They just had a rough start with Fizdale but they were playing decent ball towards the end. Not that surprising to see them at .500.

    Hornets not that surprising either. They have a good young core going and they added Hayward and Ball.

    Chicago caught me off guard. I thought they would be much worse but Lavine stole some games I guess.

    Atlanta I thought would be much better considering how much talent they've added. Maybe they'll play up to expectations under Nate.

    Also surprised with Portland hanging in there. Thought they would lose more games with CJ out.

    It might be surprising to see them up there in the standings, but the East isn't exactly winning a **** ton of games this season. Playing borderline .500 ball isn't really that hard to do tbh.
    Last edited by ecart; 04-02-2021 at 12:19 AM.

  12. #1107
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    I agree that they probably won't touch Fredy or OG. But Siakam may be a fair game if there is a good enough deal that comes through (Eg. Beal). I don't think he is untouchable like he use to be. I still hope the bounces back and keeps improving. But the money he makes and the inconsistencies he has shown may have changed his status.
    OG is too important to our defence and legit 3 and D guys are too prized a commodity. Siakam plays an unicorn position, regardless of how much he makes, it's just too hard to replace a PF like that. Freddy is the most expendable imo. Guards are a dime a dozen. They won't move on from him anytime soon but if I was a betting man that is who I would pick.

  13. #1108
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    21,198
    Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    Celtics and Pacers not really. They were both teams that were always injuries away from missing the playoffs. TJ Warren had a season ending injury really early on. Celtics have been leaking talent last couple seasons and have never replaced them. They got lucky last season with everyone being relatively healthy but they were always known for lacking depth.

    Knicks weren't that far off last season. They just had a rough start with Fizdale but they were playing decent ball towards the end. Not that surprising to see them at .500.

    Hornets not that surprising either. They have a good young core going and they added Hayward and Ball.

    Chicago caught me off guard. I thought they would be much worse but Lavine stole some games I guess.

    Atlanta I thought would be much better considering how much talent they've added. Maybe they'll play up to expectations under Nate.
    The Hornets haven't really been that good though. Middle of the league defense and their offense is on par with the Raptors as well.

    Thibs has his team playing defense so I can see why they have been able to stick around .500 but it's crazy to look at those standings in the East. Almost every team has gone through struggles.

    Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

  14. #1109
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    The Hornets haven't really been that good though. Middle of the league defense and their offense is on par with the Raptors as well.

    Thibs has his team playing defense so I can see why they have been able to stick around .500 but it's crazy to look at those standings in the East. Almost every team has gone through struggles.

    Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    I think you're expecting too much from .500 ball. Middle of the pack ORTG/DRTG, mediocre point differential sounds about right for a .500 team. DRTG is very interesting this season. A lot of teams hovering around 110.

  15. #1110
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    21,198
    Richaun Holmes would look nice here.

    Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Page 74 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •