Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    The best part of this all is the people complaining so far have 0 investment in Cleveland sports. They're just complaining for the sake of complaining. Merica!

It’s funny because we all know the kind of posts they make in the politics forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Cleveland Rocks...Logo Drew Carey
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    The best part of this all is the people complaining so far have 0 investment in Cleveland sports. They're just complaining for the sake of complaining. Merica!

It has nothing to do with Cleveland. People are complaining because this is the state of America now. Everything is offensive to someone. Everything is spun into racism. It gets old.

Even attempting to curb racism is offensive to many people....

The Indians changed their logo, I felt that should be enough. What’s next? The Braves and the Chiefs?

I hear PETA is offended by the Cubs, Tigers, Marlins and Cardinals?

What about the Yankees and Giants?

The Indians long and rich history. I am both saddened and outraged by this...

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    It has nothing to do with Cleveland. People are complaining because this is the state of America now. Everything is offensive to someone. Everything is spun into racism. It gets old.
    Oh I'm well aware of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    The Indians changed their logo, I felt that should be enough. What’s next? The Braves and the Chiefs?

I hear PETA is offended by the Cubs, Tigers, Marlins and Cardinals?

What about the Yankees and Giants?

The Indians long and rich history. I am both saddened and outraged by this...

You must've been devastated when they changed their name from the Spiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Old people don’t like change and chalk it up to cancel culture...it’s a reaction and justification for them to be upset.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

"Redskins" is racist. "Indians" is not.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Old people don’t like change and chalk it up to cancel culture...it’s a reaction and justification for them to be upset.

There needs to some dividing line of common sense though. I think an overwhelming majority of us can agree that the term Redskins is racist and that Chief Wahoo was a racist caricature of the Native American culture but what is the major problem with calling a team "Indians"? Sure you could make the case that we don't call teams "Caucasians" or "Blacks" but I dont think naming a team after indigenous people has to have a bigoted connotation to it. To me, its the Cleveland Indian's history that probably hurt them here more than anything else.

I don't think the name has to have a bigoted connotation either but if a team decides ro move on from a name that has caused some controversy over the years, then so be it. Though I can understand longtime fans of the Indians feeling more passionate in their objections with a name change.

I used to have more of an eyeroll reaction to something like this. At this point I don't really give a **** though. People don't like change generally but they'll get over it.

I don't think the name has to have a bigoted connotation either but if a team decides ro move on from a name that has caused some controversy over the years, then so be it. Though I can understand longtime fans of the Indians feeling more passionate in their objections with a name change.

I used to have more of an eyeroll reaction to something like this. At this point I don't really give a **** though. People don't like change generally but they'll get over it.
    Yeah I get why Cleveland would want to move forward. Its a lot easier to be the Spiders or whatever innocent sounding name they end up picking. My thing is once you set that precedent, its difficult to go back from. There's going to be a lot of pressure on teams like the Blackhawks, Seminoles, Braves, etc to do the same now and its unwarranted pressure imo. The Redskins had to go but everything associated with indigenous culture that is sports related has to as well?

I get its just Cleveland as of this moment but its easy to see where those teams would be next.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    "Redskins" is racist. "Indians" is not.
    Not racist, just completely misinformed.

I remember when I was in 7th grade. I had a social studies teacher named Ms Dreyer. She was probably the spawn of Satan but not the point.

We would learn about Native Americans and she would always refer to them as Indian. Me being a Pakistani, would correct her. “Indians are people from India” and she would constantly say “no, they’ve been called Indians, that’s what they’re called” (I’m paraphrasing obviously)

And again, the whole reason Columbus called Native Americans “Indians” in the first place, was because that dumbass thought he ended up in the Indian Ocean.

Ever since then, I’ve always had disdain for referring to Native Americans as Indians. I don’t find it offensive - I think Chief Wahoo was offensive, as is ‘the chop’ that Braves fans employed. Still, I don’t think anybody besides old white people call Native Americans “Indians” anymore.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast