Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

49ers cap situation 2021

So we are going into next season losing a lot of key players. Trent Williams is the most important. Keeping him will be costly.

We will have 18,000,000+ in cap space. Resigning Trent and Extendung Warner will be costly.

There is no way we bring JG back. Cutting him will free up 24,000,000 dollars.

Sherman, Verrett, Tartt, William's are all free agents also.

Post June 1st cuts of Ford and Richburg will free up another 24 million.

Gould is also on the chopping block.

Biggest question is, who do we bring in to replace JG? Trade for a guy? See if Stafford or Ryan is available? Sign a stop gap in Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, AJ McCarron? Draft a guy? Going to be a very busy offseason.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    So we are going into next season losing a lot of key players. Trent Williams is the most important. Keeping him will be costly.

We will have 18,000,000+ in cap space. Resigning Trent and Extendung Warner will be costly.

There is no way we bring JG back. Cutting him will free up 24,000,000 dollars.

Sherman, Verrett, Tartt, William's are all free agents also.

Post June 1st cuts of Ford and Richburg will free up another 24 million.

Gould is also on the chopping block.

Biggest question is, who do we bring in to replace JG? Trade for a guy? See if Stafford or Ryan is available? Sign a stop gap in Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, AJ McCarron? Draft a guy? Going to be a very busy offseason.
    As dire as the QB/cap situation seems right now, I don’t think we’re in a bad position for next year as there are a lot of options.

I wouldn’t be opposed to moving into the top 5. As much as I’d love any of the top 3 guys (Lawrence, Fields, and Lance), I just don’t know that I’d sell the farm to get them so it really depends on the asking prices.

An Alex Smith reunion year wouldn’t be a bad idea. We could do that, then sit tight in the first and consider drafting Zach Wilson.

Alternatively, if there’s any confidence in a reclamation project like Darnold, I think that would put us in a very good position. He wouldn’t require much by trade, he’d cost less than $5M against the cap, and we could use our first rounder on someone like Surtain.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 12-13-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    As dire as the QB/cap situation seems right now, I don’t think we’re in a bad position for next year as there are a lot of options.

I wouldn’t be opposed to moving into the top 5. As much as I’d love any of the top 3 guys (Lawrence, Fields, and Lance), I just don’t know that I’d sell the farm to get them so it really depends on the asking prices.

An Alex Smith reunion year wouldn’t be a bad idea. We could do that, then sit tight in the first and consider drafting Zach Wilson.

Alternatively, if there’s any confidence in a reclamation project like Darnold, I think that would put us in a very good position. He wouldn’t require much by trade, he’d cost less than $5M against the cap, and we could use our first rounder on someone like Surtain.
    I'd really like to go after Darnold or Wentz

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

40 free agents, and a 20 million dollar cap reduction... plus the 49ers signed some of their older deals with the anticipation that the cap would go up... never down.

I think they'll have to axe Jimmy G if they wish to preserve their core...

If they keep Jimmy, they'll still need a QB for the future b/c Jimmy can't be relied upon to play 16 games.

But then you have to ask yourself, is Jimmy G good enough to over come deficiencies in other areas, which the 2021 team will have if they keep Jimmy.

If he isn't. Then you must cut him. Keep the core as much as possible, and then draft a QB on a rookie deal. The three rookies this year Burrow, Tua, and Herbert have all outperformed any niner QB. Kyler Murray in his 2nd year has also.

So, they should be decent, even w/ a rookie QB. Maybe not quite playoff but in 2022; you'll have a 3rd year budding star WR in Aiyuk, 3rd year Kinlaw, Deebo playing for a contract, and a QB in year 2 of Kyle's system, and Bosa one year removed from a torn ACL. So 2021, Kyle gets a pass if he has the ability to properly evaluate players and his team. That is a big if, and I hate using ifs...
    It's time to start winning right?

Playoffs and Championship droughts...

SF 49ers - 5 years no playoffs, 24 years no championship
    LA Lakers - 6 years no playoffs, 9 years no championship
    LA Kings - 1 year no playoffs, 5 years no championship
    SF Giants - 2 years no playoffs, 5 years no championship

Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    40 free agents, and a 20 million dollar cap reduction... plus the 49ers signed some of their older deals with the anticipation that the cap would go up... never down.

I think they'll have to axe Jimmy G if they wish to preserve their core...

If they keep Jimmy, they'll still need a QB for the future b/c Jimmy can't be relied upon to play 16 games.

But then you have to ask yourself, is Jimmy G good enough to over come deficiencies in other areas, which the 2021 team will have if they keep Jimmy.

If he isn't. Then you must cut him. Keep the core as much as possible, and then draft a QB on a rookie deal. The three rookies this year Burrow, Tua, and Herbert have all outperformed any niner QB. Kyler Murray in his 2nd year has also.

So, they should be decent, even w/ a rookie QB. Maybe not quite playoff but in 2022; you'll have a 3rd year budding star WR in Aiyuk, 3rd year Kinlaw, Deebo playing for a contract, and a QB in year 2 of Kyle's system, and Bosa one year removed from a torn ACL. So 2021, Kyle gets a pass if he has the ability to properly evaluate players and his team. That is a big if, and I hate using ifs...
    They have to get rid of JG.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

They have to get rid of JG.

Yeah I thought the same, but it appears the restructuring of Gould and the announcement by Kyle means they fully intend on keeping him and perhaps getting a backup QB via draft.

It gives them less wiggle room with the core defense. Some have mentioned that not only will Saleh take some of the assistants but he will also try to sign defensive players he likes because they know his system.

The niners do have a ton of picks and getting more, plus they've done better with the draft recently than they did in 2017/2018.

But you can't have a bunch of rookies playing and expect to win a SB, so we shall see.

I think they need better skill position players. They have good ones, they need great ones.

Yeah I thought the same, but it appears the restructuring of Gould and the announcement by Kyle means they fully intend on keeping him and perhaps getting a backup QB via draft.

It gives them less wiggle room with the core defense. Some have mentioned that not only will Saleh take some of the assistants but he will also try to sign defensive players he likes because they know his system.

The niners do have a ton of picks and getting more, plus they've done better with the draft recently than they did in 2017/2018.

But you can't have a bunch of rookies playing and expect to win a SB, so we shall see.

I think they need better skill position players. They have good ones, they need great ones.
    What did Kyle say about keeping JG?

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

What did Kyle say about keeping JG?

They fully intend that Jimmy G is the QB next year. He didn't say guaranteed (asked by Maiocco) but that they are committed to him next season.

They fully intend that Jimmy G is the QB next year. He didn't say guaranteed (asked by Maiocco) but that they are committed to him next season.
    I have never seen/heard anything like this lol.

Everything I’ve seen from KS about JG is essentially that they PLAN to have JG back, but when pressed he says things like he can’t guarantee anything because they’re building a football team.

I’ve never heard him say he’s “committed” to JG, and that’s not what’s implied. What is implied is that he’s going to keep JG unless a better option presents itself which is (a) how he should approach this offseason and (b) exactly what he should be saying publicly even if he has no intention of bringing him back. Saying anything else would decrease his already low trade value.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

- Carl Sagan

With a great team we can win with JG. With a good team we can be competitive to win the superbowl with JG. JG is not worth the money and we can not afford a good to great team that we will need to win with JG. Buy a better team and play with a blah Qb. Or trade for Stafford and were top 3 in the NFC next year without doing anything else with the roster.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    I have never seen/heard anything like this lol.

Everything I’ve seen from KS about JG is essentially that they PLAN to have JG back, but when pressed he says things like he can’t guarantee anything because they’re building a football team.

I’ve never heard him say he’s “committed” to JG, and that’s not what’s implied. What is implied is that he’s going to keep JG unless a better option presents itself which is (a) how he should approach this offseason and (b) exactly what he should be saying publicly even if he has no intention of bringing him back. Saying anything else would decrease his already low trade value.
    Lynch has also stated this. I think you used extra words to say the same thing. the PLAN is not to keep their options open. The PLAN is for jimmy G to be QB. so maiocco, knbr, most of the beat writers are insinuating that this front office is counting this as a mulligan.

Lynch has also stated this. I think you used extra words to say the same thing. the PLAN is not to keep their options open. The PLAN is for jimmy G to be QB. so maiocco, knbr, most of the beat writers are insinuating that this front office is counting this as a mulligan.
    No, you used “extra words” like “fully intend” and “committed”.

"’Yes, I do believe Jimmy is going to be our quarterback next year.”

When pressed on why he “believes” that, Kyle said, “You can't say anything with certainty. I mean, you don't sit here and make promises on anything. When we build a football team, it's your job to put the best team together year in and year out.”

Doesn’t exactly sound like someone who is committed, does it?

He went on to talk about JG as if he were making a sales pitch, but never did he say he anything that would suggest they’re committed to JG. In fact, he went out of his way to say he can’t guarantee JG will be the guy which is saying a lot considering he’s under contract for two more years.

The only pro-JG arguments he made were that he’s middle of the pack in salary, he’s got a winning record, and if you’re planning to replace him you have to do it with an upgrade... which is all very obvious.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.49e...ws/amp-143699/

- Carl Sagan

JG has to go. He frees up 24 million dollars. He is always hurt and he's average at best. Cut him then we have 40+ to spend in FA.

Bring back Beathard as a back up. Bring in Fitzpatrick or Dalton on a 1 year deal and draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Spend the money on retaining Williams.

Cut both Richburg and Ford post June 1st cuts. Will free up 20 million that way. Then extend Fred Warner.

There are a TON of free agent corners this year. KW will probably be back on a 2 year deal. Same with Verrett. Draft a corner in the 1st round. 3 very good corners at the top of this draft.

Also good defensive lineman in FA. Get the team back to being great all around. JG can not put a team on his back. Get a good team and lose JG

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Cut JG - 24,100,000
    Mark Nzeocha - 1,600,000
    McKinnon - 2,000,000

27,700,000 cap freed up

Re-Sign Trent Williams, Jason Verrett, Moseley, Hyder, Willis and Williams

Sign Andy Dalton to a 1 year deal
    Sign Everson Griffin or Ryan Kerrigan to 1 year deals

Draft Caleb Farley or Patrick Surtain in the 1st
    Draft Kyle Trask in the 2nd
    Draft an interior OL in the 3rd

Also look to bring Rosen back

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Cut JG - 24,100,000
    Mark Nzeocha - 1,600,000
    McKinnon - 2,000,000

27,700,000 cap freed up

Re-Sign Trent Williams, Jason Verrett, Moseley, Hyder, Willis and Williams

Sign Andy Dalton to a 1 year deal
    Sign Everson Griffin or Ryan Kerrigan to 1 year deals

Draft Caleb Farley or Patrick Surtain in the 1st
    Draft Kyle Trask in the 2nd
    Draft an interior OL in the 3rd

Also look to bring Rosen back
    Is it possible that we could bring back Verrett and still use our first two picks on CB?

If we could fill the QB hole in FA or trade with a low cap hit, bring back Williams, extend Warner, we could get two very good cost controlled corners and our defense would be ridiculous.

Verrett and Surtain on the outside with Shaun Wade (who’s slipping down draft rankings) playing some safety and/or nickel CB?

Sounds like a stretch, but we’re returning an offense that has tons of weapons (health willing). Aside from re-signing Williams and Warner, secondary and QB are our highest priorities right now, IMO.

- Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast