Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    DO NOT TRADE DOM SMITH !!! We will regret it big time . I don't care if next year we platoon Smith and Alonso but keep both. Dom Smith in my opinion will become an All Star. You also need depth on your team and the DH will be in the NL in 2022.
    My man!

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

DO NOT TRADE DOM SMITH !!! We will regret it big time . I don't care if next year we platoon Smith and Alonso but keep both. Dom Smith in my opinion will become an All Star. You also need depth on your team and the DH will be in the NL in 2022.
    I am still up in the air with Smith. I know he really came into his own last season and he is doing what you want to see. An increase in his stats every single season. But it wasn't all that long ago every time he came up to bat, we would ALL groan. Every time he would try to save a throw to 1B we would bite our nails hoping it wouldn't go into RF. It wasn't all that long ago fans wanted him gone. Considering what happened last season I throw out all stats and performances. I can't faithfully judge someone good or bad based on 62 games in 2020.

IMO, trading anyone should be about who is coming back, not just who is going out. I would keep him certainly in case there is a DH after this season. However that shouldn't prevent you from seeing what is available. No name on this roster should ever be "untouchable". NTM, if anyone was considering dealing Smith, his value is at a career high right now. You wouldn't be doing your job as a GM if you didn't at least kick the tires. (and no, I would stay far away from Arenado and his splits).

That being said, dealing Smith this season prob doesn't make the best of sense, barring some sort of steal from another team.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I’m not a fan of bringing someone in and asking them to do something different than what they’ve done their whole career right off the bat. We should try to make Springer as comfortable as possible. We’d already be asking him to be an everyday CF as it is.

I also don’t like platooning the top of the order. I think having some stability up top and then platooning near the bottom is more ideal. Someone like McNeil gets on base, but also makes contact and hits RHP and LHP. Nimmo usually has huge splits where he is basically useless against LHP.
    I think I'd like to see:

Nimmo
    Springer
    McNeil
    Alonso
    Conforto
    etc. etc. etc.

I'm not so sure I understand your concern about platoon'ing the top of the order. I think making sure Nimmo is batting 1st vs. RHP is a no-brainer. On the flip, vs. LHP, I'd also consider hitting JD Davis leadoff. Or at minimum, putting Springer at leadoff vs. LHP and batting JD second. Always play your best lineup, regardless of roles/etc.

This of course is assuming that JD is the 3B to start the season.
    #oneatatime

Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    I am still up in the air with Smith. I know he really came into his own last season and he is doing what you want to see. An increase in his stats every single season. But it wasn't all that long ago every time he came up to bat, we would ALL groan. Every time he would try to save a throw to 1B we would bite our nails hoping it wouldn't go into RF. It wasn't all that long ago fans wanted him gone. Considering what happened last season I throw out all stats and performances. I can't faithfully judge someone good or bad based on 62 games in 2020.

IMO, trading anyone should be about who is coming back, not just who is going out. I would keep him certainly in case there is a DH after this season. However that shouldn't prevent you from seeing what is available. No name on this roster should ever be "untouchable". NTM, if anyone was considering dealing Smith, his value is at a career high right now. You wouldn't be doing your job as a GM if you didn't at least kick the tires. (and no, I would stay far away from Arenado and his splits).

That being said, dealing Smith this season prob doesn't make the best of sense, barring some sort of steal from another team.
    Arenado’s splits are massively overblown.

He has a full seasons worth of numbers at Oracle Park and Petco Park and has an .850 OPS in about 500 plate appearances between the two parks.

People also ignore the fact that Coors players struggle when they leave their home park because of the fact that the ball spins differently and these guys have to adjust. In recent memory, players like DJ and Matt Holiday have left coors and still put up fantastic numbers. Arenado’s wRC+ is consistently between 120-130....that adjusts for ballpark factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Arenado’s splits are massively overblown.

He has a full seasons worth of numbers at Oracle Park and Petco Park and has an .850 OPS in about 500 plate appearances between the two parks.

People also ignore the fact that Coors players struggle when they leave their home park because of the fact that the ball spins differently and these guys have to adjust. In recent memory, players like DJ and Matt Holiday have left coors and still put up fantastic numbers. Arenado’s wRC+ is consistently between 120-130....that adjusts for ballpark factors.

Yes you are right. There are cases where splits from Coors are over blown. I can't deny that. However this is a situation that dictates whether or not you are willing to take that chance, and time to adjust, on a big major contract. Maybe you are...I am not. At least not without some serious convincing. Neither of us are the GM, and that is the fun of it. It's personal taste with the information we have at hand at this point. I don't know the guy from a hole in the ground.

For me working off of 2019 numbers, he was quite pedestrian when facing all of the NL East opponents home or away (Atlanta, Philly, Washington, & Miami...maybe 30 ABs each). I agree, that is very limited numbers and small sample size. But it also suggests the larger season splits may not be far off in this specific case with the NL East. That MUST still be part of the conversation.

Look, I am not going to sit here and pound my own chest with numbers and stats. I just feel it is important to make smarter choices and decisions than just looking at a sexy name at a position needed. Especially if the chance is a poor showing away from the Coors-effect...and it would take a trade to acquire him. I have seen reports that Colorado would need to take on a big portion of the deal to make it interesting for teams. That also means the pieces going back would not theoretically be major trade assets. I read somewhere Familia, Davis, and Baty (I think he was rated #93 in the pre-season). That would at least start the conversation. If Smith is involved. The answer I would lean to is no.

I am not saying there is an easily available in-house talent at a fraction of the cost. I don't know that. But if that money can be put to better use elsewhere, it has to be thought about. I am looking for money efficiency, and while Arenado's name could be well suited, I feel there is still a lot of risk that goes with a future contract like that. Colorado taking on some money could at least subdue that worry.

Dom

What? No one groaned when he got up, we all said he wasn't getting enough chances to figure out if he was a viable player? We would bite our nails on throws to 1st with him out there? Dom has always viewed by scouts and Mets fans as a really good first baseman, not a defensive liability.

Maybe those are things you were thinking but it certainly doesn't line up with most of the fan base.

Yes you are right. There are cases where splits from Coors are over blown. I can't deny that. However this is a situation that dictates whether or not you are willing to take that chance, and time to adjust, on a big major contract. Maybe you are...I am not. At least not without some serious convincing. Neither of us are the GM, and that is the fun of it. It's personal taste with the information we have at hand at this point. I don't know the guy from a hole in the ground.

For me working off of 2019 numbers, he was quite pedestrian when facing all of the NL East opponents home or away (Atlanta, Philly, Washington, & Miami...maybe 30 ABs each). I agree, that is very limited numbers and small sample size. But it also suggests the larger season splits may not be far off in this specific case with the NL East. That MUST still be part of the conversation.

Look, I am not going to sit here and pound my own chest with numbers and stats. I just feel it is important to make smarter choices and decisions than just looking at a sexy name at a position needed. Especially if the chance is a poor showing away from the Coors-effect...and it would take a trade to acquire him. I have seen reports that Colorado would need to take on a big portion of the deal to make it interesting for teams. That also means the pieces going back would not theoretically be major trade assets. I read somewhere Familia, Davis, and Baty (I think he was rated #93 in the pre-season). That would at least start the conversation. If Smith is involved. The answer I would lean to is no.

I am not saying there is an easily available in-house talent at a fraction of the cost. I don't know that. But if that money can be put to better use elsewhere, it has to be thought about. I am looking for money efficiency, and while Arenado's name could be well suited, I feel there is still a lot of risk that goes with a future contract like that. Colorado taking on some money could at least subdue that worry.
    I agree about making informed decisions over the sexy name. I have already made my case for Arenado so I won’t bother doing so even more.

Still, you could make the argument that Springer would struggle for switching leagues. Out of the 11 teams where he has a sub .800 OPS, 7 of those teams are in the NL...albeit probably a total of 200 at bats. Hell, you can make that argument for anyone lol.

To me, the Astros sign stealing had more of an impact on offense than Coors field did.

Arenado > Springer. I’ll die on this hill lol.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Agreed.

We keep Dom, what could we get for Alonso?

I will not trade either because the DH will be here this year or next year.

Yeah if Dom just had to be an elite pinch-hitter again for a season then so be it. He’ll get some playing time throughout the year surely.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Yeah if Dom just had to be an elite pinch-hitter again for a season then so be it. He’ll get some playing time throughout the year surely.
    My view and I hope the new GM feels the same is that it is fruitless to hold onto guys hoping for the DH to happen. You need to trade to bring in what you need now because we know the Mets for some reason can't seem to get the "big" free agent. So they might need to go the trade route.

In order to do that, the Mets only have 2 or 3 guys that other teams might want that the Mets are willing to trade. Unless, of course, you trade the lower levels of the farm which is dangerous. Porter is not BVW. He will be careful not to trade away the future. He will, however, trade surplus. Smith, Davis and either Gimenez or Rosario are surplus. And depending on what they do in the OF, perhaps Nimmo becomes available however I would not trade him. These players, if traded, might bring back the SP or CF or 3B that we need if packaged and if we take on some salary.

If we sit here and say we are keeping all these guys hoping they get playing time, hoping for the DH next year, is not helping this team move in the right direction. Get players who you need at the positions needed and become better defensively.

To sit here on our computers and talk about keeping Smith for another year while waiting for the DH is ludicrous. Let's

Porter loves Nimmo so I seriously doubt they plan on trading him.

Smith is making the league minimum, he provides depth, playing both LF and 1st. And if the DH does happen, well the Mets have that covered.

What is ludicrous is trading Smith because you have a perceived belief that this team has a surplus. New flash, injuries happen and after what happened the last two years the Mets are thin in the minors almost to the point where after the top 15 (Alex Rameriez) the system is bad.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

What's even more ludicrous is people who want to deal Alonso.... while his value is low.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Porter loves Nimmo so I seriously doubt they plan on trading him.

Smith is making the league minimum, he provides depth, playing both LF and 1st. And if the DH does happen, well the Mets have that covered.

What is ludicrous is trading Smith because you have a perceived belief that this team has a surplus. New flash, injuries happen and after what happened the last two years the Mets are thin in the minors almost to the point where after the top 15 (Alex Rameriez) the system is bad.
    League minimum players on a team that wants to contend and has money should not be a primary reason to not trade a player off a good year. Dom Smith's value is high right now. He will not play on a regular basis without the DH in play during 2021. Dom Smith should not play LF and if the Mets sign a regular CF, then Nimmo (the better defender between he and Smith) will be the LF. If Smith can get us Arenado (just an example), then I am for that. In fact, I would take on the entire Arenado contract because he is that good defensively at 3b and is a player with an .800 plus OPS. If Dom Smith can bring in Lindor, I am for that also. I would not trade Dom Smith unless we bring back an impact player. But Dom should be made available for trade, which I think he has.

League minimum players were ok when the Wilpons were running the team or if the Mets are in rebuilding mode which they never should be. If the Yankees are never in full rebuilding mode, neither should the Mets. We call that building from the strength. Our depth and bench should be a blend of up and coming players (such as Gimenez last year) or good veterans who can come off the bench and still contribute. I don't think we had anyone like that last year although we did have a slew of veterans who we signed and then released or signed late (Todd Frazier being one, Marisnick being another).

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast