Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

James McCann signs 4 years 40 million

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Question is how big a bulk of the playing time should he get?

120 games? Never done that before.

So even if he starts that much you will need a solid back up.

Is Nido the guy?
    McCann played 118 games 2 years in a row so 120 sounds about right.

I know it was an ultra-SSS, but I was pleasantly surprised with Nido. It’s unfortunate he got covid and wasn’t able to play more.

This McCann contract could turn out to be an absolute steal though.

This is McCann in 2018:

https://www.mlb.com/video/james-mcca...-jesus-aguilar

You can see that they played the full shift on him in the infield and his batting stance was upright and pretty much closed.

Fast forward to 2019:

https://www.mlb.com/video/james-mcca...chez-scores-ti

You can clearly see that he batting stance is completely different here. Here his batting stance is now crouched and extremely open with his hands much lower around his chest when previously they were over around his shoulders. This has led to his exit velocity surge over the last two seasons IMO because he was doing the same thing last season with even better results.

Now here he is in 2020:

https://www.mlb.com/video/james-mcca...r-field-9MTNjd

This dude looks like he straight mashes. I love the opposite field power he has. I think this breakout is similar to Turner’s breakout. McCann strikes out more so he won’t provide the kind of BA that Turner did, but I expect plenty of power and extra base hits.

The fact that his defense improved also (particularly his framing) makes me love the signing even more.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 12-12-2020 at 03:19 PM.

I guess Springer is next.
    Hopefully they plan on getting another pen arm and someone like Ordorizi.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

#funfact
    @stevegelbs

Jeff McNeil once told me that he only struck out two times in his little league career.

The first time was swinging: “I shouldn’t have swung.”

The second time was looking: “It was a ball and I was pissed.”

The ump who rung up McNeil on a called strike 3? James McCann’s dad.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I also like how McCann absolutely murders LHP. We have struggled mightily against LHP due to all of our LH bats in the lineup.

Last two seasons: .320/.405/.533 (154 wRC+) against LHP while .259/.305/.451 (100 wRC+) vs. RHP which is still solid for a catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
    Same old Mets

All we hear about is Steve Cohen and how much he is going to spend and we sign the backup from the white sox over the best catcher in baseball
    What you call the best catcher in baseball wants a ten year $200 million contract. He ain't worth it. He's
    nowhere near the player that Mike Piazza was.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    McCann played 118 games 2 years in a row so 120 sounds about right.

I know it was an ultra-SSS, but I was pleasantly surprised with Nido. It’s unfortunate he got covid and wasn’t able to play more.

This McCann contract could turn out to be an absolute steal though.

This is McCann in 2018:

https://www.mlb.com/video/james-mcca...-jesus-aguilar

You can see that they played the full shift on him in the infield and his batting stance was upright and pretty much closed.

Fast forward to 2019:

https://www.mlb.com/video/james-mcca...chez-scores-ti

You can clearly see that he batting stance is completely different here. Here his batting stance is now crouched and extremely open with his hands much lower around his chest when previously they were over around his shoulders. This has led to his exit velocity surge over the last two seasons IMO because he was doing the same thing last season with even better results.

Now here he is in 2020:

https://www.mlb.com/video/james-mcca...r-field-9MTNjd

This dude looks like he straight mashes. I love the opposite field power he has. I think this breakout is similar to Turner’s breakout. McCann strikes out more so he won’t provide the kind of BA that Turner did, but I expect plenty of power and extra base hits.

The fact that his defense improved also (particularly his framing) makes me love the signing even more.
    Imo the signing could either be a steal or an absolute bust, I don’t see there being a middle ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I also like how McCann absolutely murders LHP. We have struggled mightily against LHP due to all of our LH bats in the lineup.

Last two seasons: .320/.405/.533 (154 wRC+) against LHP while .259/.305/.451 (100 wRC+) vs. RHP which is still solid for a catcher.
    Add Springer and the Mets should be much better vs LHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Imo the signing could either be a steal or an absolute bust, I don’t see there being a middle ground.

I do.

I can see him posting an average of .800 OPS for his four years here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post

Based on what you see above, why do you think he’ll perform at pre-2019 levels? I’m expecting at least 2019 production, and he seemed to take another step forward in 2020. I think McCann is a medium risk/high reward only because he got 4 years. But I trust his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Add Springer and the Mets should be much better vs LHP.
    Yep. As great as the Mets offense was last season, we were still unbalanced and exposed against LHP.

Also another issue Springer solves is leadoff hitter. He’s led-off exclusively for the last 4 seasons.

CF-Springer
    2B-McNeil
    1B-Alonso
    RF-Conforto
    3B-Davis
    LF-Nimmo
    C-McCann
    SS-Gimenez

That team looks ****ing stacked. I think Rosario should be used as a super utility guy instead of McNeil. Play some SS, 3B, 2B, and CF.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 12-12-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I don't think he is a stingy owner or will be one. But I also don't think we are going to spend $250M a year and just sign all of the top FA. He's not stupid with money. He isn't the Phillies owner
    Exactly

@bobnigntengale

The #Mets’ McCann deal certainly bodes well for the #Phillies chances to keep J.T. Realmuto while it would be stunning to see OF George Springer wind up anywhere else but the #Mets.

One thing about the Wilpon's, they left the new owner with some spending room.
    Hopefully Cohen just writes off Canos contract after this year.. just be done with it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    @bobnigntengale

The #Mets’ McCann deal certainly bodes well for the #Phillies chances to keep J.T. Realmuto while it would be stunning to see OF George Springer wind up anywhere else but the #Mets.
    I mean what big market teams need a catcher? The White Sox? Angels? Nationals? Blue Jays? I've heard the Nats might be interested but it seems like a pretty logical conclusion that Realmuto goes back to Philadelphia. Unfortunately for him at a much lower asking price than he wanted.

For what its worth, we got Piazza when he was 30yo.
    I think we can get 4 good years out of McCann.
    Good fair signing I think.
    Besides he's not been a primary catcher so less wear and tear imo.
    Hopefully we have a solid no. 2 option. Nido?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast