Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

James McCann signs 4 years 40 million

Still some hurdles to jump, per Olney.

This is a weird deal. High risk, high reward. Risk isn't as high in the Cohen area as it would've been, obviously. Hoping AAV is no higher than $10M.
    "If we want to be an iconic franchise, which I think we are capable of doing, we have to write more good stories than bad, and occasionally we have to write a really epic story." --Sandy Alderson

Same old Mets

All we hear about is Steve Cohen and how much he is going to spend and we sign the backup from the white sox over the best catcher in baseball

I'm surprised you would say that. The old Mets wouldn't even go after McCann.... they'd get someone even lesser

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I don't like how Steve Cohen just trolls now

I'm assuming he meant "keep me updated."
    Last edited by SJ5382; 12-09-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    "If we want to be an iconic franchise, which I think we are capable of doing, we have to write more good stories than bad, and occasionally we have to write a really epic story." --Sandy Alderson

Not that I'm an expert on these things but it did dawn on me early on that a headgefund billionaire didn't become a hedgefund billionaire by spending or even investing his own money but by raking in the commissions from people who were more than willing to fork over their accounts to him.

I believe the term is "Other People's Money"

But we'll see.. Still kind of early in the game to definitively call out Cohen for being a stingy owner.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Not that I'm an expert on these things but it did dawn on me early on that a headgefund billionaire didn't become a hedgefund billionaire by spending or even investing his own money but by raking in the commissions from people who were more than willing to fork over their accounts to him.

I believe the term is "Other People's Money"

But we'll see.. Still kind of early in the game to definitively call out Cohen for being a stingy owner.
    Sounds like you're trying to imply that Cohen is a stingy owner without actually committing to the take. So what do you think?

I don't think he is a stingy owner or will be one. But I also don't think we are going to spend $250M a year and just sign all of the top FA. He's not stupid with money. He isn't the Phillies owner

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Sounds like you're trying to imply that Cohen is a stingy owner without actually committing to the take. So what do you think?
    Lol! You get an A+ for calling me out!

I was critical early on and careful not to jump on the bandwagon about how great it was going to be as a fan of a team with the richest owner in baseball. But at the same time, I don't think I have enough wisdom either way to know what kind of owner he's going to be.

Fact is, and I'm sorry to disappoint, I really don't know. It's like when i sit down in front of a movie that is just starting. I turn to my girlfriend and say, "This could be really good or it could be really bad."

And sometimes it's something in between.

Unlike, ya know, which, with me is always incredible. But that's another story.

Back to the subject at hand.

It's hard to believe Cohen spent all this money on this team to watch it wile away in mediocrity. That hardly seems to be his style. On the other hand, it does seem to be Sandy Alderson's style whom he hired to run the damned show. So we're getting conflicting messages. aren't we?

Sometimes you have to stand back and wait and see. That's where I am right now. That and commenting.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Lol! You can an A+ for calling me out!

I was critical early on and careful not to jump on the bandwagon about how great it was going to be as a fan of a team with the richest owner in baseball. But at the same time, I don't think I have enough wisdom either way to know what kind of owner he's going to be.

Fact is, and I'm sorry to disappoint, I really don't know. It's like when i sit down in front of a movie that is just starting. I turn to my girlfriend and say, "This could be really good or it could be really bad."

And sometimes it's something in between.

Unlike, ya know, which, with me is always incredible. But that's another story.

Back to the subject at hand.

It's hard to believe Cohen spent all this money on this team to watch it wile away in mediocrity. That hardly seems to be his style. On the other hand, it does seem to be Sandy Alderson's style whom he hired to run the damned show. So we're getting conflicting messages. aren't we?

Sometimes you have to stand back and wait and see. That's where I am right now. That and commenting.
    It's a conflicting message if you subscribe to the "Sandy is cheap" narrative. And I know that you do.

I guess we'll finally have the answer to the "debate" you and I frequently had in the 2011-2014 years, when I was a bit more of a regular on PSD. Who's to blame for our lack of spending? The Wilpons AND Sandy, or just the Wilpons? You went with the former, I went with the latter.

Who would've ever thought Sandy would magically return with a seemingly infinite budget.

It's a conflicting message if you subscribe to the "Sandy is cheap" narrative. And I know that you do.

I guess we'll finally have the answer to the "debate" you and I frequently had in the 2011-2014 years, when I was a bit more of a regular on PSD. Who's to blame for our lack of spending? The Wilpons AND Sandy, or just the Wilpons? You went with the former, I went with the latter.

Who would've ever thought Sandy would magically return with a seemingly infinite budget.
    As you may have noticed in the 10 years that I have been a member of this forum I have noted serveral times that Alderson = Vapor Lock. I have seen many times where he lost out on an FA by waiting too long. Then he goes with a knee jerk reaction by signing someone who just doesn't fit what the team has needs for.

It's not that Sandy is cheap. It's not his money we're talking about. But as a lawyer, he is naturally risk averse. He's never been in the position to spend someone else's money handily and let the chips fall where they may. Indeed, his conservative handling of someone else's money just might have been the reason Cohen wanted him.

Now, do I know what I'm talking about? I have no F-ing idea! I'm just waxing poetic here. But these are my thoughts.

To counter your last sentence, wouldn't you have preferred to see someone more aggressive to be put in charge of this infinite budget? I know I would.

Absolutely less conservative than Alderson. I would have kept Minaya and made him Pres of Baseball Ops. He was, if not always, usually able to get his man and was an excellent judge of talent.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast