Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My point was that if the Mets were about to sign McCann (which seemed to be the case), they wouldn't turn around and grab Realmuto as well.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Phillies really arenít relevant right now so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been reassured by VERY KNOWALDEGEABLE(tm) fans that missing the postseason by a tie-breaker even if you finish below .500 is a sign that you're actually good and ready to compete.

And unlike the other teams that finished around where the Phillies did. The Phillies have both young star players under 30 locked up AND really good pitching at the top of the rotation.
    They really just need to fix the pen.
    Last edited by ciaban2.0; 12-21-2020 at 03:06 AM.

I decided to add to this thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    I've been reassured by VERY KNOWALDEGEABLE(tm) fans that missing the postseason by a tie-breaker even if you finish below .500 is a sign that you're actually good and ready to compete.

And unlike the other teams that finished around where the Phillies did. The Phillies have both young star players under 30 locked up AND really good pitching at the top of the rotation.
    They really just need to fix the pen.
    Look at teams that finished around where the Phillies finished.

Brewers, Angels, Astors, Miami: They have the positional stars, but they really don't have the starting pitching the Phillies have.

Cardinals, Reds: They have the pitching at the top, but they don't have the positional stars that the Phillies do.

If the Phillies didn't have such a garbage pen they would have made the playoffs last year for sure. They can compete next year without a lot of dramatic spending or improvement.
    Last edited by ciaban2.0; 12-21-2020 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    I decided to add to this thought.

Look at teams that finished around where the Phillies finished.

Brewers, Angels, Astors, Miami: They have the positional stars, but they really don't have the starting pitching the Phillies have.

Cardinals, Reds: They have the pitching at the top, but they don't have the positional stars that the Phillies do.

If the Phillies didn't have such a garbage pen they would have made the playoffs last year for sure. They can compete next year without a lot of dramatic spending or improvement.
    I think bullpens are the hardest and easiest facet to replace. So volatile that you never know what youíre going to get

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I think bullpens are the hardest and easiest facet to replace. So volatile that you never know what youíre going to get

I don't disagree, a few years ago the Rockies dropped 100 mill on 3 relievers. And it was a disaster.

If the Phillies bring back JT and improve their pen, I don't see why they couldn't at least compete for one of the two wild-card spots. To quote the VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE(tm) fans, missing the postseason by a tiebreaker, is a success regardless of the final winning percentage.

And the Phillies are a much better team than most of the ones that finished around where they did, it doesn't seem unreasonable to see them compete for a post season spot. And with the top of their rotation, they can beat a team like the Padres in a 1 game playoff.
    Last edited by ciaban2.0; 12-21-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Thought is that the Phillies will bring JT back now and Hendricks for the end of the pen. If Seranthony Dominguez can regain some of his 2019 form, that will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Thought is that the Phillies will bring JT back now and Hendricks for the end of the pen. If Seranthony Dominguez can regain some of his 2019 form, that will help a lot.
    At this point, it would seem impossible for the Phillies to have a worse pen than last year. If they can bring back JT their odd's of making the playoffs are pretty high.

That said watching certain philly fans tear their hair out after every blown lead was a high point for me last year.

The same thing happened to another sub .500 non-playoff teams. But those teams aren't as deep as the Phillies so improving the pen will only help so much.

So far, no one has the required 75% for enshrinement. Clemens, Bonds and Schilling each have just over 70% with 14.4% of the ballots cast.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    So far, no one has the required 75% for enshrinement. Clemens, Bonds and Schilling each have just over 70% with 14.4% of the ballots cast.
    Schilling was REAL close last time, I'm surprised he isn't over.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    This seems stupid to me. Itís a depressed market. Why isnít someone looking to make a favorable deal in the uncertainty? Does anyone think every MLB player isnít gonna be vaccinated? There is a high likelihood that there will be some level of in person attendance with possibly full attendance by the all-star break. It seems everyone will com in hot at some point and these players are gonna get more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    This seems stupid to me. Itís a depressed market. Why isnít someone looking to make a favorable deal in the uncertainty? Does anyone think every MLB player isnít gonna be vaccinated? There is a high likelihood that there will be some level of in person attendance with possibly full attendance by the all-star break. It seems everyone will com in hot at some point and these players are gonna get more expensive.
    Instead of swooping in for deals, it seems all these GM's are waiting for FA prices to drop even further.

Well the owners are crying poor because of the money they lost this season. It's no surprise they don't want to spend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast