Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    There is a lot to like about Newsome too. The big thing with him that works for him too is the fit. I would be somewhat against moving up for him. I think there are a few fits for this scheme this year outside of him where moving up may not be necessary. My biggest concern with Newsome is his injuries and that is probably another big reason not to move up for him. If he falls an excellent pick, but his injury history is also concerning. He may be a boom or bust guy. Loved seeing him play at Northwestern. However, with his injuries, there is a slight temptation to bring up Kevin King here. Some good, some bad, and a lot of injuries. The biggest thing that limited King was the injuries, and that could be the case with Newsome unfortunately. I love the talent he can play a number of roles, he would be a great pair next to Jaire. A guy who can enter into the league as a solid starter and grow into his potential.

Depending on what happens in free agency it should be interesting to see how we address CB. I'm not sure you can take a guy like Newsome without having vet insurance behind him. I really like Newsome and he's one of my favorites to land here, but even as a Northwestern fan I would say no to moving up for him. If Newsome stays healthy he will be a home-run pick, but being a contender I would have to admit there is an interesting group of CB's this year becoming another objection to moving up. I don't think this year is so much like when we moved up for Savage, there may be some other fits.

At CB what may work in our favor to not have to move up too are guys like Horn and Stokes for example could go before Newsome. It's really hard to grade one from that group above another. Stokes has top-tier speed that could fly up the charts. In terms of fit and availability, I think Newsome ranks #1 for the Packers (neither Surtain nor Farley are in play).

I think a few other guys like Trill Williams, Samuel, to name a few could be other options. Big fan of Newsome overall though. The fit will be such a huge factor because as I look at the top corners I don't consider all to be a fit here. I think the big thing with a corner will also be they're not going to take a guy who is a spot Barry already stated in his presser they're looking for guys who can line up in various roles. I look at guys like Stokes and Horn who may be very talented, but I'm not sure they would be the ideal fits. Molden could be a fit, but I would even go as far as to write off guys like Robinson, Adebo, and Melifonwu. I also think they're looking for physical/aggressive types with good athleticism. Should be an interesting thing to monitor as it's such a major need to fill.
    I used to be against trading up and I'm usually against making major moves up. I also didn't love trading up for love just because of his position fit and stuff, but I've come around to if you like a guy better than the others and it's only going to cost you a 4th or a 4th and another layer pick, go get your guy, especially if you have multiple later picks.

The king injury thing is hard though too. King wasn't that oft injured in college. The guy everyone in here wanted instead TJ Watt, was injured a decent amount in college. Since they've gone pro, it's been the opposite. You cant rule medicals out by any means, but it's tough to judge for sure.

I also read Barry's presser a tiny bit different. To md, they want a variety of nickel type bodies. But I still think they want two full time outside guys and currently have one vacancy there. I think they would be more than happy to spend an early pick on a guy they view as an outside only type corner and then mix and match internally. I actually read it more as the team may be willing to look at maybe LaMarcus Joyner type guys who can play some safety and some slot and that type of stuff as well as some of those LB/S hybrids. But I still think they value the outside only CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I used to be against trading up and I'm usually against making major moves up. I also didn't love trading up for love just because of his position fit and stuff, but I've come around to if you like a guy better than the others and it's only going to cost you a 4th or a 4th and another layer pick, go get your guy, especially if you have multiple later picks.

The king injury thing is hard though too. King wasn't that oft injured in college. The guy everyone in here wanted instead TJ Watt, was injured a decent amount in college. Since they've gone pro, it's been the opposite. You cant rule medicals out by any means, but it's tough to judge for sure.

I also read Barry's presser a tiny bit different. To md, they want a variety of nickel type bodies. But I still think they want two full time outside guys and currently have one vacancy there. I think they would be more than happy to spend an early pick on a guy they view as an outside only type corner and then mix and match internally. I actually read it more as the team may be willing to look at maybe LaMarcus Joyner type guys who can play some safety and some slot and that type of stuff as well as some of those LB/S hybrids. But I still think they value the outside only CBs.
    It may be hard to figure who will last and who won't, but his injury history could also slide him out of the first round as well. In three seasons at Northwestern, he missed nine games with an ankle injury as a freshman, four games with an undisclosed injury as a sophomore, and suffered a groin injury in the 2020 Big 10 championship. Looking at those injuries noting necessarily screams lingering.

I think they may be looking for a LB/S type as well, I'm wondering at the same time if they have an idea for an internal candidate to get some of those snaps. But we will see how the draft unfolds.

with comp picks it's like gambling with a guarantee of not losing money. here's to impactful first and second round starting draft picks this year.

here is a link to an updated list of prospects the Packers have met with

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...-asante-samuel

the one that I find really interesting is Evan McPherson K from Florida. Mason is 36, kickers tend to have longer career but, its good to keep an eye out for an eventual replacement

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    here is a link to an updated list of prospects the Packers have met with

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...-asante-samuel

the one that I find really interesting is Evan McPherson K from Florida. Mason is 36, kickers tend to have longer career but, its good to keep an eye out for an eventual replacement
    I'm not against McPherson, but I would almost argue the best case would to hopefully in the next year or two find a PS stash candidate via UDFA. McPherson may be the best K available this year and next season. My question would be bringing in a guy who's traditionally kicked in sunny Florida, would he be able to kick in the element. One of the seasons I would argue Crosby became such a success in Green Bay was his college days in Colorado. I'm not at all saying McPherson can't, but our kicker pool may be limited when we draft. I would almost be more in favor of Quinn Nordin as a UDFA and try to stash and develop him. Nordin and McPherson no too far a part statistically, but Nordin has done most of that in Michigan and other Big Ten venue locations. It's not the most important factor, but if I've got guys who are not significantly statistically different I'm going to with the cold/bad weather player.

Norman
    @greenbaytoday

The #Packers have been in contact/had a virtual visit with Memphis RB Kenneth Gainwell - per a source.
    saw this on twitter don't know the guy who tweeted it so not sure if it is verified.

saw this on twitter don't know the guy who tweeted it so not sure if it is verified.
    I wouldn't doubt they did their homework on the guy. I would say he's potentially a longshot to be draft by Green Bay now that Jones is re-signed, if we draft a RB it's likely to be in the 5th if not 6th or later IMO I could see Gainwell going as early as the second, but if he's floating around low enough on the board it may be a move they just can't pass on. However, Gainwell was heavily used in the passing game and is a slot player. It could be possible they are simply looking for playmakers. A lot of the RB's have multiple uses so it wouldn't be a shocker if they nabbed one in this draft even after bringing Jones back.

The Packers have talked to Jacoby Stevens who projects as an LB/S hybrid. He may be an interesting later-round look as a guy to develop. He may initially be a package/ST type, but if floating around in the 6th-7th certainly worth taking a look at. He doesn't project as a true LB nor a true S. Could be the answer for the Raven Greene-like role in this defense as Greene hasn't been able to remain healthy. He could develop into a solid developmental starter as a split zone safety who plays near the line.

I've read that the packers have had multiple meetings with Trevon Moehrig

I've read that the packers have had multiple meetings with Trevon Moehrig
    I wouldn't be shocked to see a safety taken. First outside of Amos and Savage we're really thin. Secondly, extra safeties can have used so it might seem like a head-scratcher pick, but there would be a good amount of value. If you take one high like Moehrig there has to be a reason behind it, it could be so they could use the skilled vet Amos in various looks as they did in the latter part of the season. Perhaps Barry saw the success or LaFleur is pushing that look. I'm not sure they take a safety this early, but could certainly see the value of adding a player like Moehrig.

I agree. I wouldnt at all be shocked if we go safety somewhat early. We play a ton of nickel and dime and we could absolutely play an extra safety in those spots. Savage could potentially play more in the box/slot roles. Amos could play in the box. And depending who we take at safety, that guy could play box as well. Guys like Greene, Redmond and those guys played a decent amount of snaps. So we can absolutely find playing time for those guys. Plus, if that guy is a hit, it allows you to move on from Amos. Not that I want to move on from Amos, but a good safety can play 50% of the defensive snaps for a year or two before taking over on a more full time basis beyond that.

If they do indeed take a safety high I would almost argue there is a good chance we see several 33 stack looks this coming season. It would make sense because we're seeing a little more of spread and air raid packages being uses in the NFL.

Raven Greene and Will Redmond both played 33% of the snaps last year. Some of that was with Savage missing some time. Amos missed a few snaps bit nothing major. Scott also pulled out about 10% of the snaps as well. Obviously some of that was played together with some big dime situations and covering injuries, but even just looking at last year, I'd estimate we played 3 safeties on about 40% of the snaps as a whole, perhaps a bit less. So you don't even have to make a ton of major changes to get some snaps for that guy.

They talked about it a bit last camp, but they think Savage could play some slot. If we do draft someone who ends up being a good player, it's not crazy to think savage takes some of Sullivan's, especially in certain matchups.

Safety certainly will be an interesting spot to watch. I think I also read Gute was personally on hand for Jevon Holland's pro-day. Both Moehrig and Holland would probably qualify as more versatile safeties.

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst was on hand for Oregon pro day. I'm told the target was Jevon Holland but the Packers also spent time with Deommodore Lenoir and Thomas Graham Jr.
    Graham was also an interviewee.

I agree. I wouldnt at all be shocked if we go safety somewhat early. We play a ton of nickel and dime and we could absolutely play an extra safety in those spots. Savage could potentially play more in the box/slot roles. Amos could play in the box. And depending who we take at safety, that guy could play box as well. Guys like Greene, Redmond and those guys played a decent amount of snaps. So we can absolutely find playing time for those guys. Plus, if that guy is a hit, it allows you to move on from Amos. Not that I want to move on from Amos, but a good safety can play 50% of the defensive snaps for a year or two before taking over on a more full time basis beyond that.
    I saw something suggesting Savage could play the "Star" role in Barry's defense were he is moving all over the place. Having another safety would be required.

And even without that, they need a hybrid guy to do what Raven Greene did (when healthy) and that Will Redmond can't do.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast