Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I had asked about OL because I had seen a mock recently that had Packers taking OT S Cosmi. Now I admit most of the mock drafts are just for fans and clicks, keep changing to continue getting people to read, but at first I was against it but with the right prospect there, maybe it would make sense. But R Slater is prob a pipe dream.

With Baks contract, injury, & last years pick on J Love. How long/ many years in that contract until you start realistically looking for the LT for your future QB? Or Is that a position when you find your guy, youíre expecting fill that spot 4-7/8 years? I ask that because of guys like Cosmi and Eichenberg, but completely agree there are much bigger needs come draft day. Didnít care for the J Love pick and was a bit skeptical when the Packers moved up for D Savage, but itís definitely good to know this team will trade up to guarantee getting their player when needed, something that may be needed at end of round 1

most people thinking we take an OT in the first round are thinking more for RT. With Wagner gone, a decision on Billy Turner needing to be made and very little in depth at tackle and, barring a setback with Bakh the only really big question mark is RT. I think Jenkin moves to Center depending on how they think Hanson does or think Patrick can fill in, Runyan or Stepniak (sp?) fight for the open guard spot.

Packers met with Notre Dame TE Tommy Tremble

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Packers met with Notre Dame TE Tommy Tremble
    We would draft a TE with the other needs lol... thatís a packer move there

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    We would draft a TE with the other needs lol... thatís a packer move there
    I keep seeing fans post things like this on social media, I donít think people realize that it will be a need. Tonyan is great receiver but lacking in other areas. May be looking at an upgrade over Sternberger if they feel it didnít work out.

It seems in years past we as fans thought WR and CB werenít needs and we had one of the deepest rosters in the league at those positions, now I see that with TE

Quote Originally Posted by MFNkingAC View Post
    I keep seeing fans post things like this on social media, I donít think people realize that it will be a need. Tonyan is great receiver but lacking in other areas. May be looking at an upgrade over Sternberger if they feel it didnít work out.

It seems in years past we as fans thought WR and CB werenít needs and we had one of the deepest rosters in the league at those positions, now I see that with TE
    Iíd argue Tonyan, deguara, gafney and sternberger are a pretty solid group. I get what you are saying but this isnít a year to have another 2020 draft. Itís win now, Sb or bust.

Tonyan is a RFA what kind of tag do you throw on him?

Iíd argue Tonyan, deguara, gafney and sternberger are a pretty solid group. I get what you are saying but this isnít a year to have another 2020 draft. Itís win now, Sb or bust.
    I would disagree a bit. I argue adding a TE would be nothing like what happened in 2020. A TE likely sees the field quite a bit, LaFleur loves TE's and using them in a variety of roles, adding a playmaking TE would help us and can improve this offense. Adding a TE or a WR adds to the passing game. Given this scheme, a rookie TE may have more impact than a rookie WR. I'd argue adding a TE would give us more flexibility both in the run and passing game.

Also, I think this is looking at guys for Lewis's spot. Given the TE's we've talked to it may indicate we may be looking for someone to take Lewis's reps, but offer a bit more athleticism to stretch the field. We've talked to two TE's and both Tremble and Jordan who are both fairly solid blockers but are solid players in the passing game they more traditional balanced TE's. No one can knock Lewis's blocking prowess, but his ability to move the ball was declining. He was still reliable in terms of his hands, but not too much more. Sure no rookie would be as polished as a blocker, but they wouldn't need to be they would need to soften the blow. Lewis was on the field 41% in 2020 and 45% the year before, he was a big part of this offense. Taking a guy like Tremble or Jordan you're adding a guy who can block and can continue to grow but can do more than an aging Lewis with the ball in his hands. You still get a guy who can block but upgrades us in the passing game. We really have 3 uses for the TE spot your traditional blocker big receiver type, the receiving type (Tonyan/Sternberger), and also you're H-back/FB types (Deguara/Daffney). There is plenty of upside to adding a complete TE to this offense.

Tonyan is a RFA what kind of tag do you throw on him?
    I'd almost think it would need to be a 1st or 2nd round tender to limit most teams from wanting to make an offer. I'll use the only precedent I can think of with Sam Shields, we put a 2nd round on him, so I would imagine that is what happens here, but a 1st round tender may be possible. If we were to just slap the lower tenders on him then it's fairly likely he gets poached away and we get nowhere near adequate compensation.

I agree but the draft isn't really the place to make win now moves. I would say last year 5 teams really stood out as the class of the NFL. To me, Tampa, KC, Buffalo, New Orleans and GB were the top 5 teams. You could maybe try to argue Seattle for a chunk of the season fit there. Maybe you liked Pitt, Indy or Tennessee, but those 5 teams sort of stand out to me.

Tampa is the outlier, but that's partially due to their unique situation. They traded up in the draft but they had a high enough selection to allow them to trade up into the top 10 or so and grab an immeidtae impact guy in wirfs. They also hit on Winfield. So they had an impactful draft.

But the other 4 didn't really. We already know out picks didnt play a ton. For new Orleans, their 1st rounder on Ruiz played 70% of the snaps and graded out as a solid player. But the test of their draft was lightly used rotational guys and special teamers in year 1. KC had CEH who wasn't all that great but played a decent amount. Sneed ended up being a steal for them, but he even played under 40% of the snaps which was due to injury. The rest of their draft didn't do much. Buffalo traded their first, so they had a light draft, but Moss as their 2nd back and playing about a third of the snaps was their big contributor.

I guess to me if you're a super bowl contending roster already, you shouldn't need your draft picks to be phenomenal in year 1. If they are, great, but you shouldnt be drafting for impact on day 1. Your first rounder could/should be a solid contributor. Like the Ruiz 70% of snaps at a pretty solid clip is probably a decent target. And 70% maybe isnt the perfect target depending on position, but you get the point. If we draft a CB in the first, I'd still hope we'd sign a vet (unless our new DC loves Jackson for some reason). And instead of the rookie being counted on to start, have him be the 4th corner. Maybe he eventually beats out Sullivan for the nickel spot and by the end of the year is playing the majority of the nickel and dime snaps.

And beyond that, have guys be package guys. Maybe we draft an edge guy early. And if that guy is a stout run defender, then he has a few run packages he's in on. Or if that guy is a speed rusher. He strictly plays on 3rd and medium to long downs when Gary needs a blow or Smith moves in. Same with WR. If you take on in Day 2, you hope that guy either takes the Ervin/Austin role or at least takes EQ's snaps and makes Funchess an easy cut. Even if it's a 2md round guy, I wouldnt expect that guy to take MVS or Lazard's snaps in year 1.

Packers met with CB's Trill Williams of Syracuse and Greg Newsome II of Northwestern
    Both are fascinating prospects. They are certainly making their rounds with CB's they've now talked to Williams, Newsome, Graham, and Samuel. I may be missing one. All very interesting prospects. Both Williams and Newsome are physical guys. Good size, and smooth athletes. Newsome is a guy who plays with really good awareness, solid ball skills, and a solid awareness. Williams checks all the boxes if you hope to see in a corner. Both great prospects and would be solid additions to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    Both are fascinating prospects. They are certainly making their rounds with CB's they've now talked to Williams, Newsome, Graham, and Samuel. I may be missing one. All very interesting prospects. Both Williams and Newsome are physical guys. Good size, and smooth athletes. Newsome is a guy who plays with really good awareness, solid ball skills, and a solid awareness. Williams checks all the boxes if you hope to see in a corner. Both great prospects and would be solid additions to this team.
    Heard some rumblings that Newsome is fairly well regarded across the league. I think he's very much in play at 29.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Heard some rumblings that Newsome is fairly well regarded across the league. I think he's very much in play at 29.
    100% agree. I would say he is one of the guys on my early top candidates to draft. Not only does he have a number of the things they look for in a DB, but over the past few years, we have looked a lot at Northwestern talent. I agree he's very much in play. He's a high rising prospect. Some mocks have him as early as 21 to the Colts.

The official list of who the Packers have met with so far. One additional note a couple of sources have said KJ Britt really seems to draw the attention of the Packers and Saints at the Senior Bowl.

Britt, K.J. ILB Auburn
    Graham Jr., Thomas CB Oregon
    Hawkins, Javian RB Louisville
    Hayes, Daelin EDGE Notre Dame
    Jordan, Brevin TE Miami
    McNeill, Alim DT NC State
    Moore, Rondale WR Purdue
    Newsome, Greg CB Northwestern
    Samuel Jr., Asante CB Florida State
    Tremble, Tommy TE Notre Dame
    Williams, Trill CB Syracuse
    The only thing this list seems to indicate so far based on the past patterns is we can expect a CB to be drafted at some point, likely early, in this draft.

a couple of running backs that I have seen that I am starting to like are Michael Carter from UNC and Pooka Williams from Kansas. Carter reminds me a ton of Aaron Jones, Pooka is a speed demon and would be a solid lightning to Dillon's thunder.

a couple of running backs that I have seen that I am starting to like are Michael Carter from UNC and Pooka Williams from Kansas. Carter reminds me a ton of Aaron Jones, Pooka is a speed demon and would be a solid lightning to Dillon's thunder.
    I like Carter I think he would be a great fit. Stellar runner. He has terrific vision, burst, elusiveness. He has great receiving skills and is a smart runner. He has room to build to his frame, but his size isn't a major liability. He can be physical at times. Also solid blocker. He would be a great complement to Dillon. I agree has some very Jones-like qualities.

I like Willams overall, but would have questions, nothing major I think the modern NFL has shown he should be able to carve out a role in the NFL, but how big and how long will be the question for me. No question an electric player, great at causing missed tackles, but he's small and sometimes can play small. I think at his pro-day he was officially 5'9 170. I get smaller guys have found a niche in the NFL, but he's small for even some of the small guys 170-175 at RB is a hard sell. Smaller guys having success are in the 5'8-5'10 range are also generally around 195-215 range. A few exceptions like Tarik Cohen, but he's even sub-180. Williams is going to need to bulk up. Plenty to like with Williams has great vision, footwork, and once in the open field is electric. He shows his size when there isn't a lane and he's going to have to learn to push through the line. Even though you're not asking him to do that a whole lot, but the NFL is going to exploit that if he doesn't improve that. He is good a creating space and using his shiftiness to break tackles, but he's not going to have the lanes he had in college so will need to get better breaking tackles and push the pile when the chance isn't there. I think he can initially be a solid package player and if teams get him the right looks he can be dangerous. Most of his flaws are nothing that can't be developed or corrected over time. I really like Williams if we have a third competent back so we can maximize his output.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast