Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I wonder if someone like zaven Collins will interest us. The LB rankings are all over the board, so he may be off the board, but he's a guy who has a ton of versatility and could make sense in a defense that could be making a transition to a multiple type front.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I wonder if someone like zaven Collins will interest us. The LB rankings are all over the board, so he may be off the board, but he's a guy who has a ton of versatility and could make sense in a defense that could be making a transition to a multiple type front.
    Collins is an interesting prospect for me, he's so big compared to your average ILB today. 6'4, 260. However, we've gone bigger at OLB and it's worked well. Your taking Collins as a swiss army knife. He's the athletic freak type that Gute may really like. He's a big dude and a smart player. You look at 6'4, 260, and maybe thinking limited roles, but he can be a run stopper, solid in coverage, and can rush the passer. He can make plays and is good in space. I know it's a bit lofty to project him like this, but he really has a lot of similarities to Brian Urlacher. Hate throwing out such a big comparison but I can't think of anyone else with the same size and skill set. He is still a bit raw and needs some work, but needless to say, he could grow into a stellar playmaker.

I would agree though not sure he makes it to us I feel like as early as 15 to New England makes sense. I could see Ron Rivera making good use of him too. If he's floating around close it may be a player worth taking a look at because you're basically getting a guy who in the right package can line up ILB/OLB/box safety. Both Parson's and Collins I think will be special players.

Id love our first three picks to be impact players at OL DL and CB... is that too much to ask ? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    Collins is an interesting prospect for me, he's so big compared to your average ILB today. 6'4, 260. However, we've gone bigger at OLB and it's worked well. Your taking Collins as a swiss army knife. He's the athletic freak type that Gute may really like. He's a big dude and a smart player. You look at 6'4, 260, and maybe thinking limited roles, but he can be a run stopper, solid in coverage, and can rush the passer. He can make plays and is good in space. I know it's a bit lofty to project him like this, but he really has a lot of similarities to Brian Urlacher. Hate throwing out such a big comparison but I can't think of anyone else with the same size and skill set. He is still a bit raw and needs some work, but needless to say, he could grow into a stellar playmaker.

I would agree though not sure he makes it to us I feel like as early as 15 to New England makes sense. I could see Ron Rivera making good use of him too. If he's floating around close it may be a player worth taking a look at because you're basically getting a guy who in the right package can line up ILB/OLB/box safety. Both Parson's and Collins I think will be special players.
    Probably will be used more in coverage but his best usage is probably something similar to Hightower and Collins are both used in New England. He may peak out with a random 8+ sack season, but realistically he's a 70 tackle, 4 sack, 2 pick type of player who does a bit of everything. But without seeing his defense, it's hard to know if Barry wants that type of player or if Barry prefers having guys with set roles.

The interesting thing about this is LaFleur and Murphy have indicated that Barry has been told to run a Vic Fangio style defense which can be a bit vague. Nonetheless, you have to think the DL is due for an upgrade, if the DL is not upgraded this off-season I'm going to be pretty skeptical going to this season. With Collins, I think he's one of those guys most teams can take you can find a use for him. I'm still pretty skeptical they take an ILB early. I think the mindset between Barry and Olivadotti is going to be they can develop these guys. I'm thinking the only way we go ILB early is if we think the guy is going to be a monster. That being said again it's still vague and there could be some surprises. That along with the fact I don't anyone has a draft M.O. on Gute and they've done a good job not showing their hand.

Yea, I think the "Fangio" thing is a bit wierd since Fangio is a bit variable with his defense. That being said, I hope being Fangio adjacent isn't the reason we hired Barry. I think the best DC is one who uses the players he has well. That's part of what I love about bellichek. His defense changes and he uses what he has.

That was part of my commentary in Collins too. If our DC wants to be creative, Collins is probably a good fit. If our DC wants a guy who you line up at one spot, then maybe Collins isn't quite as good. To me, Collins isn't a pure edge guy and isn't really a pure ILB either. Maybe he's a strong side backer in a 4-3, but I think if you lock him into a role like that, he might just be an okay player. Where he may be able to excel is as a guy who roams and does a bit of everything. That was kind of my thought process on Baun from the Badgers last year. If you're just putting him as an edge, he's a rotational guy at best. If you're moving him around and he's truly a threat to drop, blitz, rush or whatever, he's valuable. But not all DCs like doing that type of stuff because it can be awkward for other guys who also may have to move.

Need to get help on the D-line getting after the qb. Everyone can see Brady craps himself if a defensive player is within 3 feet of him.

A few small notes:

The Packers have virtual draft interviews with Notre Dame edge Daelin Hayes and NC State DL Alim McNeil.
    I know interviews don't mean much, but McNeil would be a nice fit. A big-bodied guy this DL often lacks who could be a nice mid-round prospect. He's still a big raw but McNeill is a powerful interior defender that is capable of controlling and resetting the line of scrimmage with his heavy hands and strength. He's developing as a pass rusher as well and really could turn into a really nice IDL. He would have early use as a run stuffer, but he could be a great pick-up.

Daelin Hayes is interesting too because, to be honest, I'm not sure he's a true edge. He's more of a hybrid role. I'm not sure where is officially going to line up or what role he will have in the NFL. Notre Dame used him in a variety of roles. Hayes would be nice in round 4 or later. He has some ability to drop into coverage as well. Solid leadership skills. If Preston is let go Hayes could be a decent depth option without spending a high draft slot for it.

they also had a virtual meeting with FSU CB Asante Samuel Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    they also had a virtual meeting with FSU CB Asante Samuel Jr.
    I've wondered if they were interested in him. Pretty interesting prospect. When you look past the slightly smaller size he's got a lot of promising features. Good pedigree and looks like he could be close to or as good as his dad. There are a few comparables to Jaire Alexander well. Strong skills in man coverage, and still needs to work on his ball skills. He has great instincts, loose hips, and quick feet make him tough is a tough player who is willing to contribute against the run when needed. A lot of people have him lower on their boards when it's said and done I could see him being one who sneaks up draft boards.

Of the interviews, Samuel and McNeil both look like players they could actually be drafting. Not sure how much they're looking at the edge spot seeing Preston theoretically could still restructure his deal.

Looked up some film on Malcom Koonce, just because of his last name, and this kid looks pretty good, might be a nice late round pick and it would be awesome to yell KOOONCE at Lambeau again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    Looked up some film on Malcom Koonce, just because of his last name, and this kid looks pretty good, might be a nice late round pick and it would be awesome to yell KOOONCE at Lambeau again.
    is he related to former Packers LB George Koonce?

Packers had a virtual meeting with Oregon CB Thomas Graham Jr.

Ive read a few mocks that have us taking Toney in the first. It's not a need but it would be a ton of fun to have a guy like that. I think we could find a similar guy a little later in the draft, but I'd love to come away from the draft with a guy who's a threat to take it to the house with every touch.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Packers had a virtual meeting with Oregon CB Thomas Graham Jr.
    Graham is one of those guys who I don't think will ever be a true corner. His athleticism may be a bit lacking. However, what makes him interesting is his ability to tackle and do so soundly. The best-case scenario for him I think is growing into a Micah Hyde type player. The worst-case for Graham is a bit of a grinder/journeyman type who could stay in the league because of sound tackling, ball skills, and ways to compensate for his lack of timed speed. Depends on where we are looking to take a guy like Graham is how I would feel about taking him.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Ive read a few mocks that have us taking Toney in the first. It's not a need but it would be a ton of fun to have a guy like that. I think we could find a similar guy a little later in the draft, but I'd love to come away from the draft with a guy who's a threat to take it to the house with every touch.
    I like Toney, but he seems to have a slight history of small nagging injuries that is a big concern. Big time upside, I agree we may be able to get similar skills later in the draft. Guys like Toney though often become solid NFL players rarely live up to the first-round slot they are taken at. A round or two later you may get similar upside from a guy like Tylan Wallace. Plenty of options to maybe fill the spot I like Dazz Newsome a little bit later. Or we could find a Taylor Gabriel-like role for a guy like Felton.

If we're looking at WR round 1, I would almost prefer Rashod Bateman, even though we likely extend Davante it may be time to look for who will take the torch. Bateman could be that guy and to learn from Adams would be great. Bateman can excel in multiple spots and would be a nice player in the slot early on. If we're looking for WR I would love a guy like Bateman and a package player whether that be a WR or an RB later in the draft.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast