Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Yeah I agree relax on the cap situation a bit...restructure AR, Bakh, cut Preston, Kirksey, re-sign Davante and that is 40 mill alone. Plus Lowry for sure gone is 4 mill, Wagner or Turner is another 4 million....Pack can get cap room to make some moves.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I'm curious if they try to add a returner. I know Rondale Moore doesn't fit the right build for this team, but I would be interested in adding him. He is small, but he is one of those players who will upgrade the return game. But he is downright electric. He could obviously be the long-term answer for the Ervin/Austin type role but actually contribute to other places as well. He runs great routes, can go over the middle. He may be small, but he plays bigger. Not unlike Ervin he has some injury woes. Moore's health big red flag.

I wouldn't really consider him, but I'm looking later in the draft a guy like JD Spielman. Who can fill a similar role, but without giving in an earlier pick?
    I think if we take a wr that's absolutely the type of guy we take. Unless we plan on letting lazard or mvs walk any time soon, that's the type of guy we're missing. Plus MLF has shown he likes to use that type of guy in the offense. The health thing terrifies me with Moore in particular though. Love the player but he just doesn't stay on the field. I'd be jacked if we got him but understand why we may avoid him. Toney is a super intriguing guy too. He may be off the board when we pick, but he's another intriguing name.

I also wonder if we go the route of someone like a Demetric Felton in the mid rounds. We could possibly bring back Williams for relatively cheap and have Williams and Dillon split the load at RB, but Felton can be our version of Hines for Indy. He could be the 3rd RB, the 4th or 5th WR and at least the kick returner. He'd fill the Ervin role really well and actually probably provide more value as a pass catcher. Hes having a solid senior bowl and his route running is significantly better than Ervin's is.

I have bo proof to back this up, but just some of the comments and actions led me to believe the Packers really liked aiyuk last year. They commented how none of the guys they liked at wr fell to them and the fact they moved up right after he wad taken all lead me to think they liked him and were hoping he'd fall. And while he isn't exactly like Moore, he was absolutely a guy who was raw as a wr but a guy you can scheme the ball ball and let him eat in open space. I really think MLF wants that type of guy and wouldn't be shocked if we took one this year.

And even though WR was super deep last year, there really weren't a ton of the create in space guys where we picked. Alot of the mid tier WRs were the hyper productive but limited athletic traits guys like a Johnson or a Cephus or the raw, size/speed types like a Collin Johnson type. That dude from UVA was one of the few guys that was a playmaker type, but he wad taken in like the 4th where we didn't have a pick. So I'm absolutely anticipating we grab a playmaker type this year.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-29-2021 at 10:26 AM.

I wouldn't mind Felton behind our OL. I do think there will need to be some polishing in his game. My big knock on Felton is for a smaller guy who sometimes plays like a smaller guy. He would be a package guy no question. But he's shown limitations between the tackle. He'd be an all or nothing kind of guy. But with our OL and some of the motions, we integrate he could certainly be useful.

On a similar note If we're looking more from the RB angle, I would keep my eyes on Javian Hawkins the guy was electric at Louisville. I would love to see if he could handle returns. A little more beef to his frame and he's useful in the slot as well. If we lose Jones we would certainly keep that thunder/lightning look. Hawkins has a lot of mystery to him because a lot of scouts seem to think he was underutilized at the college level. I like where he is at, but if he can put on 5-10 more pounds and not lose anything he really could be a force. Both players along with Jaret Patterson could be interesting late-round fliers.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    We may not be as shallow as you might think. Mike Smith has quietly been doing a lot of work with Oren Burk who was switched midseason to OLB and Jonathan Garvin. We didn't see much of them because Gary and the Smith's took most of the reps. That could be something low key to keep in mind. Mike Smith has a nice reputation for developing pass rushers, if Pettine is going I hope they make every effort to keep him, really several coordinators kept on board. We may be able to get away with a more developmental guy who falls.
    I don't think I knew that Oren Burks switched to OLB.

Burks at 6'3 233lbs seems alittle small to be an OLB doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    Burks at 6'3 233lbs seems alittle small to be an OLB doesn't it?
    It is a small size, but the average edge is about 250 +/- 5 lbs. We've got some really big OLB's. I think it may perhaps be an attempt to find more use from a player who has otherwise been very disappointing. Who knows perhaps they cut ties with him this off-season. I actually think I read some where he was basically confronted this is really his last chance, but there had been some positives on Burk

"He's been surprisingly good. He's picked things up quickly. We need to continue to clean up and continue to work but I've been impressed this last week."
    No need to hold one's breath. But if anyone can make him a functional player at OLB, Mike Smith seems like a good candidate to do so.

The way it looks right now, if the Packers don't draft a WR with their first or second pick Rodgers just may demand a trade.

The way it looks right now, if the Packers don't draft a WR with their first or second pick Rodgers just may demand a trade.
    Why? Where do people get this stuff? Thereís nothing wrong with the offense except for maybe a true slot receiver and you donít need that in the first two rounds. You can get a slot guy in the mid rounds. They need a CB, OL and DL first priority. If they go beyond those 3 positions in the first two rounds Iíd be shocked.

BS... our WRs are in a much better and sure position than last year.

I would think we would be looking for a OT pretty early.

And they can bring back Linsley and Jones if Rodgers, bahk and someone else rework their deals. A lot of it is in the players court. They want a good team? Then itís time to change some things around to make the cap work.

I do think they will draft either a WR or RB but to me it doesnít need to be early. It for sure wonít lead to Rodgers requesting a trade the next day. Maybe after the season if we under perform. But heís not pigeon holing them into something

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee1981 View Post
    Why? Where do people get this stuff? Thereís nothing wrong with the offense except for maybe a true slot receiver and you donít need that in the first two rounds. You can get a slot guy in the mid rounds. They need a CB, OL and DL first priority. If they go beyond those 3 positions in the first two rounds Iíd be shocked.
    Exactly Iíd probably rank them DL then CB then OT then playmaker RB/WR

Iíd like to see two CB out of this draft class especially getting a what 3 comp picks ?

Fill up the class with potential guys who can contribute in 21. Time to win it

I wouldn't be shocked if wr went wr early but I don't think they are pigeonholed into it either. A dynamic slot and returner type could be huge for this offense. You can find those guys a little later, but it's also possible they see a guy who's crazy dynamic that can be a huge change that they pull the trigger early.

I think if we're planning on competing for a super bowl, we probably need to fill holes outside the draft. Relying on a rookie to play a big role on day 1 is rough, especially when you aren't picking early.

I'd still be interested in OL, DL and CB, but it would more be as a guy who could maybe grow into that role and make someone like turner expendable next year. But even spots like wr, MVS and Lazard are going to be FA either this year or next. Don't think either gets a massive deal, but if you can find a 3rd rounder to do their job at a similar level in the near future, it can save some cash. Even a spot like safety. Amos is pretty dangerous this year and has been really good. But I think you can draft a safety if you really like a guy and let him some in nickel and dime this year. And if the dude is a stud, you can move on from Amos. If he isn't, you can keep him as the 3rd safety for another year.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 02-02-2021 at 04:50 PM.

With the Barry hire I think it's become a bit clearer what we may be looking for on defense. Our ILB's actually seem like really good candidates to thrive under Barry's system. Barnes and Martin and to a lesser extent Ty Summers all seem like really good fits. In fact, I would argue that they may be looking for more of a box safety/LB type in this draft rather than your traditional type. I made the composition last year of Martin to Corey Littleton, and we now have the guy who was crucial to that development. We have two really solid ILB developers. I see really no possibility they draft a guy early because they likely have the mindset we have the personnel to develop these guys. I do think we will be looking for a guy to fill the Raven Greene role, we can't go into next season and rely on Greene.

CB remains a priority, that shouldn't have changed no matter who we add. Jaycee Horn is looking like an early target for me. I'm expecting them to add a CB in the draft and maybe even one via bargain free agency. One question I would have do we take Caleb Farley if he falls? The knock-on him are is his injuries. Limited pre-draft events could drop his stock. If he is there do we take him or do we pass over the injury history?

I think a guy Christian Baremore's may have moved up on the GB big board. Before the DC shift, I think Tyler Shelvin would be a good fit. I'm expecting them to add size to the D front. One issue with our DL is our starting 3, only Clark really has the size you want for this defense to thrive. I think DL and CB go are the early draft focuses.

I wonder if they move around a bit to maximize our 2nd-4th round selections.

I do think last year's draft showed we aren't necessarily the type to draft for immediate need. So that could absolutlely play a role. Im not saying we don't bring in a CB, but I'm also not sure we say we need a CB so we have to draft one either. Gute alluded to possibly going all in for a year or two of Rodgers yet. I think we'll be a bit active in FA and look to fill future holes or find role guys. Still could mean CB and OT go early, but I don't think we're as locked into CB as people think.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I do think last year's draft showed we aren't necessarily the type to draft for immediate need. So that could absolutlely play a role. Im not saying we don't bring in a CB, but I'm also not sure we say we need a CB so we have to draft one either. Gute alluded to possibly going all in for a year or two of Rodgers yet. I think we'll be a bit active in FA and look to fill future holes or find role guys. Still could mean CB and OT go early, but I don't think we're as locked into CB as people think.
    I don't disagree all that much here. I would agree I'm not sold it's going to be a draft, but I don't think there is any way it's not addressed. I think there are a lot of ways they could go to fix CB. Some decent corners in this upcoming market. So no need to force someone into that role. In fact, I would argue there is no way we can address CB without adding a FA. I don't know why I said maybe they add one via FA. I would argue it would be best to get one in the draft and via FA. The challenge comes in with this class. This draft is if you don't get one early then don't expect much from them. There may be 3 corners most teams feel pretty good about in Farley, Surtain, and Horn after that a pretty significant drop. I'd argue Horn may be the only one that drops to us. So adding via FA might be a must. Then you have a few solid names like Molden, Stokes, Newsome, Adebo, and Samuel then another talent gap. This group can probably contribute but may need a year or two. Anyone past that it's a kudos to the scouts because most projections have the rest of the pack at the corner as solid depth.

But on the future investment angle, I'm not sure where they could invest in a player for the future and it is like last year. You know they're not going QB again, at least not early. Anywhere else I think you could almost justify the move as an immediate need or make logic of the move. I agree I don't think there is really any way for us to know what direction they are leaning in. The only thing that seems predictable about Gute's draft is he will make a trade and he's not afraid to move up for guys he feels strongly about.

Thing is you can justify the fairly immediate future at almost every spot. Hitting on an edge or safety could mean you get out from under Z or Amos of its a big hit. TE could allow you to let tonyan walk. RB could be a plug and play if Jones and jamaal leave. WR could mean you don't need to pay MVS and/or Lazard, even though both should be semi cheap. OL could allow you to cut turner next year, assuming they don't this year. The ILB group is pretty unproven. CB could mean the guy we might sign this year is a rental. And I guess that's what I mean by future. Not a 3 year future, but a maybe rotational or package guy this year who, if he plays well, could allow you to let someone go next year.

I think of Randall Cobb as a good example of that. We didn't need Cobb when we took him. But he gave us something we didnt have immediately as a returner and gadget guy, but he played well enough to let us allow Jennings to walk and not worry. You could do that at safety. Let the rookie either be the raven Greene for the 2md half of the year, or if the rookie is more of a true deep safety, then he comes in at times and shifts savage or Amos to Greene's spot. Or pass rusher. Gary takes on P's spot from last year and a rookie takes Gary's role. And if that guy is good, then mayen Z is gone next year or the year after.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 02-09-2021 at 11:15 PM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast