Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Just coming from a personal perspective: I hope the Eagles snag Jamin Davis from UK in the 3rd/4th round. He's going to be a player who's going to make a team very happy. I don't think he's a stud, but I think he's a strong rotational player who can start. UK's churned out some strong LB's lately. I'd like to see him here.
    Iíll have to google this guy and watch some tape.

Offensive lineman also seems to be pretty deep in this draft, though I think the eagles have some good potential there already. Mailata and Dillard at tackle (maybe one replaces LJ at RT?) then thereís herbig at OG that has impressed. Brooks, I feel like he can still be elite for another 3-4 years despite his age because heís crazy about staying in good shape, then thereís also jack driscoll and Isaac seamalo (probably kelceís replacement).

I mean, if thereís a guy high on their board that they just have to take, then do it, otherwise I would focus more on other positions and take a year seeing how this group develops

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Just coming from a personal perspective: I hope the Eagles snag Jamin Davis from UK in the 3rd/4th round. He's going to be a player who's going to make a team very happy. I don't think he's a stud, but I think he's a strong rotational player who can start. UK's churned out some strong LB's lately. I'd like to see him here.
    I looked this guy up, not a lot of time studying him but dude he looks good..lol.. Heís got a 3rd/4th round grade on him? Iím all for it

Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    Well thatís my thing. Development has been overlooked as a potential issue here. Because while I donít trust howies evaluation when I look at how much weíve struggled at WR for example that has to be development

When you see JJAW, reagor, Watkins and Hightower those are guys that performed at a high level in college. Why do they all come here and get worse

Ignore jefferson and metcalf

These guys all played well in college. And there was a concerning trend of these guys getting worse as the year went on like fulgham.

So idk if is ALL Howie. Or if maybe it was a combination. Howie choosing a good prospect but not the better prospect a la reagor over jefferson and THEN said prospect coming in here and not getting developed so he gets worse

I mean weíre these guys that much worse of prospects than desean and maclin? Avant- played well as well here under andy

Or agholor having his best season as a pro this past season. Ignore yardage dude jumped 7 whole yards per catch

So it just makes you wonder how much of it was development. Which is why Iím ok with JJAW getting a shot with a new coaching staff. You just never know
    Iím going to be ignorant here.

OL and DL seem to develop pretty well on the Eagles while almost all the other positions seem to not, especially the WR as youíve pointed out.

How much does coaching in the pro level really impact these guys? Like how possible was it that Metcalf or Jefferson come here and perform about as well as the guys the Eagles did draft did?

It just seems that ever since Maclin, the Eagles havenít drafted any WR worthwhile but as you said NA is having a career year (secondary players have performed well too), is it more so Howie not being able to draft or ever since Reid left, Eagles have had terrible developmental coaching in these positions?

Basically, is it possible Howie actually isnít bad at drafting, the Eagles just have been bad at developing? Howie has actually done well in certain areas like OL and we all say Stoutland is great. Just makes you wonder why so many coaches havenít been able to develop certain positions here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Well all things are possible really. But player development and coaching is everything. Itís the difference between a QB succeeding or failing in the nfl. Where you go matters a ton

Now jefferson and metcalf were clearly the guys that shouldíve been picked. But Minnesota with jefferson. Look at their WR development. Thielen, diggs, Jefferson

You could say well maybe they scout those positions well but thatís not the only part of it. I can confidently say if jefferson comes to Philly he does better than reagor but doesnít do as well as he did in Philly

And to me thatís the answer in a nutshell. Howie isnít picking the absolute best guys he could, but we also arenít developing the guys heís picking

Position coaches are everything because young players coming out of college get by on a lot of things but very few get by on technique. Someone like reagor is faster than 95% of the defensive players heíll face and is likely bigger than 99% of the DBs heíll face weight wise. Add that to free releases and youíll see a guy kinda get by on just athleticism

In the nfl you need technique. Thereís very few metcalf guys who are still more athletic than most at the nfl level. But metcalf has shown he can get taken out of the game if heís matched up against a guy on his level athletically

We have great coaching on the OL. Mailata probably fails at most places and is likely out of the league. Stoutland has molded him into a potential pro bowler

But you have to account for players also just not being good enough.

So itís both really. Position coaches matter a lot, development matters a lot for young players

But the player you pick matters as well. Howie hasnít picked the better guy a lot. But that doesnít mean the players he picked should all be failing. Thatís where the poor player development comes in

Look at what Andy did with Maclin and desean, look at how all his WRs turn out playable in KC.

Development matters a lot as some of the guys on his roster at WR werenít the obvious players

Or the eagles at TE. Look at how ertz, Rodgers, goedert all develop so well.

I could go on for days. GMs can have blind spot positions, coaching staffs can have weakness at positions in terms of development

I think what youíre seeing with guys like JJAW and reagor is that itís both combining to make it look even worse

JJAW had a 2nd round grade. He wasnít a complete reach. He ran a 4.5 heís huge, he showed a lot in college. Is he really just that bad? Or was he not developed at all (keep in mind he was considered raw)

Thereís no reason he shouldnít have at least been serviceable. Like 2 catches a game at least lol

To me thatís the marriage. Shouldnít have picked him over metcalf but the coaching made it even worse

Tannehill is probably to king example of this issue. Mahomes is another, he may have always been good but did a QB savant like Andy take that talent and maximize it to the fullest? Probably

Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    Offensive lineman also seems to be pretty deep in this draft, though I think the eagles have some good potential there already. Mailata and Dillard at tackle (maybe one replaces LJ at RT?) then thereís herbig at OG that has impressed. Brooks, I feel like he can still be elite for another 3-4 years despite his age because heís crazy about staying in good shape, then thereís also jack driscoll and Isaac seamalo (probably kelceís replacement).

I mean, if thereís a guy high on their board that they just have to take, then do it, otherwise I would focus more on other positions and take a year seeing how this group develops
    Guy I was high on was Landon Dickerson until I saw how long the injury history was:
    Played 7 games then missed the rest with a knee injury
    Played 4 as a sophomore then missed the rest with injury
    Played 2 games as a junior then missed the rest with an ankle injury
    Torn up knee this year

A guy who I like is Daniel Faalele. 400 lb tackle from the Gophers, I imagine he could go inside to guard if needed

Quote Originally Posted by abelugawhale View Post
    Guy I was high on was Landon Dickerson until I saw how long the injury history was:
    Played 7 games then missed the rest with a knee injury
    Played 4 as a sophomore then missed the rest with injury
    Played 2 games as a junior then missed the rest with an ankle injury
    Torn up knee this year

A guy who I like is Daniel Faalele. 400 lb tackle from the Gophers, I imagine he could go inside to guard if needed
    400 pounds? Holy **** bro! Heís 6í9 too, damn man. Who was that one offensive lineman for the eagles, he was super tall like 6í8 or 6í9? I remember he had a hard time getting his hands on bodies because of how tall he was, he got a lot of penalties because of it so I had a thing against super tall offensive lineman. Then mailata came around and heís 6í8 so I guess itís not super bad.

But yeah if they wanna grab a spec in the later rounds Iím cool with that but Iíd like the earlier picks to be at other positions

Well all things are possible really. But player development and coaching is everything. Itís the difference between a QB succeeding or failing in the nfl. Where you go matters a ton

Now jefferson and metcalf were clearly the guys that shouldíve been picked. But Minnesota with jefferson. Look at their WR development. Thielen, diggs, Jefferson

You could say well maybe they scout those positions well but thatís not the only part of it. I can confidently say if jefferson comes to Philly he does better than reagor but doesnít do as well as he did in Philly

And to me thatís the answer in a nutshell. Howie isnít picking the absolute best guys he could, but we also arenít developing the guys heís picking

Position coaches are everything because young players coming out of college get by on a lot of things but very few get by on technique. Someone like reagor is faster than 95% of the defensive players heíll face and is likely bigger than 99% of the DBs heíll face weight wise. Add that to free releases and youíll see a guy kinda get by on just athleticism

In the nfl you need technique. Thereís very few metcalf guys who are still more athletic than most at the nfl level. But metcalf has shown he can get taken out of the game if heís matched up against a guy on his level athletically

We have great coaching on the OL. Mailata probably fails at most places and is likely out of the league. Stoutland has molded him into a potential pro bowler

But you have to account for players also just not being good enough.

So itís both really. Position coaches matter a lot, development matters a lot for young players

But the player you pick matters as well. Howie hasnít picked the better guy a lot. But that doesnít mean the players he picked should all be failing. Thatís where the poor player development comes in

Look at what Andy did with Maclin and desean, look at how all his WRs turn out playable in KC.

Development matters a lot as some of the guys on his roster at WR werenít the obvious players

Or the eagles at TE. Look at how ertz, Rodgers, goedert all develop so well.

I could go on for days. GMs can have blind spot positions, coaching staffs can have weakness at positions in terms of development

I think what youíre seeing with guys like JJAW and reagor is that itís both combining to make it look even worse

JJAW had a 2nd round grade. He wasnít a complete reach. He ran a 4.5 heís huge, he showed a lot in college. Is he really just that bad? Or was he not developed at all (keep in mind he was considered raw)

Thereís no reason he shouldnít have at least been serviceable. Like 2 catches a game at least lol

To me thatís the marriage. Shouldnít have picked him over metcalf but the coaching made it even worse

Tannehill is probably to king example of this issue. Mahomes is another, he may have always been good but did a QB savant like Andy take that talent and maximize it to the fullest? Probably
    But did Andy have more input on the desean Jackson and Jeremy maclin picks? I feel like after Andy left, howie became ďthe manĒ in luries eyes.

I believe maclin was drafted before howie became GM

I was moreso saying that Andy develops WRs well

I mean he got the absolute most outta guys like Todd pinkston

Great discussion here guys, it's completely logical given players thriving elsewhere, in that case a complete overhaul was in order indeed.

A guy to look for in the second and who was probably mentioned at some point is Nick Bolton (assuming Moses is gone) I just got around to watching him and dude is an absolute beast. I know someone on here referenced the name, but I don't remember who to give credit to

Chase, Sewell, and Parsons all took this year off. I have no issues with that.

Bolton is an outside linebacker who thrives in open space. he will likely be drafted in the late 1st. Most draft board have him rank higher then Moses.

2021 Draft Discussion

I believe maclin was drafted before howie became GM

I was moreso saying that Andy develops WRs well

I mean he got the absolute most outta guys like Todd pinkston
    Yeah I get what youíre saying. This next group of coaches should do well with WRs. Sirianni especially seems like he does pretty good with his WRs

Iím #TeamPitts at this point.

Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast