Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 92 of 124 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1854
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Are we going to do this? Lol

The next time itíll be ďheís 26Ē

When does it stop? Not even when staying in college was a thing were 24 year olds being drafted. The guy was literally playing against players up to 5 years younger than him. Do you recall the difference between you being 18 and being 23? His best competition was a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds.

Heís the same age as Devin Booker and Ben Simmons, who you have completely written off. Heís older than Jason Tatum. Iím just trying to put into perspective of what good NBA players are doing by that age.

Even Jimmy Butler, who is an example of a success story for an older player being drafted during the one and done era (probably the best example), made his first All Star team by the age of 25.

24 is extreme whether you like it or not.
    This conversation keeps coming up lol. Just like the ďthereís no value in tanking, you can get good players in the late first/2nd roundĒ. Those should be the marketing slogans for this board

2020-21 NCAA Scouting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    we shouldn't be a WIN NOW team, we are nowhere near that level. I'm torn on Duarte, he does remind me some of Battier/Brogdon, but his age is a factor, how will he play when he's not playing against younger less physically developed talent?

OTOH, a great shooter is a great shooter and he can stroke it.
    Iím think Brogdon was 23 when drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 07-26-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post

Thatís a good point. However, that was a 2nd round pick, not a mid-first. Big difference

i believe 22 but yes he was an older one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Thatís a good point. However, that was a 2nd round pick, not a mid-first. Big difference
    i mean he should have been a top 10 pick in hindsight, so its more that maybe he was overlooked for being "old"

i mean he should have been a top 10 pick in hindsight, so its more that maybe he was overlooked for being "old"
    That may be true. What I meant though, was you gladly take a guy like that with a second, and hope he develops. Besides age, and his lack of the eye-popping athleticism people like, he also had injury concerns if memory serves correct (foot injury-surgery)
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 07-26-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Sounds like talent evaluators screwed up. Maybe the stigma of him being 23 had something to do with it

Sounds like talent evaluators screwed up. Maybe the stigma of him being 23 had something to do with it

See above post. I think if that foot issue wasnít there, he would have easily gone higher. Like MPJ going mid-first, despite being 100% elite talent. Also, to be fair, considering he was a 4 year college guy, there was nothing eye-popping about him. You would likely take him mid-late first, and assume you were drafting a role-player type

Funny we are still talking Brogdon, who more than half this board still said they didnít want, and was massively overpaid, when Indy got him.
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 07-26-2021 at 08:35 AM.

2020-21 NCAA Scouting Thread

See above post. I think if that foot issue wasnít there, he would have easily gone higher. Like MPJ going mid-first, despite being 100% elite talent

Funny we are still talking Brogdon, who more than half this board still said they didnít want, and was massively overpaid, when Indy got him.
    If he wasnít 23 he easily would have gone higher. It should be a consideration but not something that by itself takes players off your board. TJ who worked for the Bucks actually said they got really lucky with him bc tankers just werenít going to draft a 23 year old

Last edited by ewing; 07-26-2021 at 08:34 AM.

i believe 22 but yes he was an older one as well.
    He was 23. I only know bc he was older then Toppin lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=malc...&client=safari

I like Duarte but I don't like having to trade up for him.
    Someone is dropping with all these players going up.
    Take the BPA Knicks need good players at every position except PF.

If he wasnít 23 he easily would have gone higher. It should be a consideration but not something that by itself takes players off your board. TJ who worked for the Bucks actually said they got really lucky with him bc tankers just werenít going to draft a 23 year old

Of course itís a consideration. Just like a foot surgery scaring you off of using a first on him. Was just scanning a bunch of articles, the injury was mentioned several times. Teams were concerned he wouldnít hold up. Just read one where he said Indy promised him they would take him 20, but backed out because the medical staff said no

Thereís no apples/apples comparison. Just like because one guy worked out, a ton of others will too. Who knows

Iím fine with taking him. Not so much with trading up. He can shoot, so good lol
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 07-26-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cssdmark View Post
    Best long term meaning? His skills should translate and I do not see those skills not being needed on a team actually his skill set should fit on any team. Will he be the best player in this draft, probably not. We will need a crystal ball for that. I am okay with not always trying to hit a home run every time. Remember Mikal Bridges. He was not a home run swing and we went for the home run and ended with Knox and whiffed. He probably will not be available when we pick anyway.
    Heís not Mikal Bridges and Bridges was also 2 years younger.

My issue isnít Duerte as a player. Youíre right about his skills likely translating. I donít like the idea of trading up for him, which they would have to do. If he falls, I would be completely fine with it.

we shouldn't be a WIN NOW team, we are nowhere near that level. I'm torn on Duarte, he does remind me some of Battier/Brogdon, but his age is a factor, how will he play when he's not playing against younger less physically developed talent?

OTOH, a great shooter is a great shooter and he can stroke it.
    Unlike Ben I think he can be a useful NBA guard. Based and his age and play style I donít expect his skill level to change much. You should give him a year to adjust to the league but I wouldnít be surprised if he is ok as a rook. I think he is more typical of older prospects in that most of his development is done (I think Toppin has a lot of room for growth). I do think he is good and wouldnít be upset with the pick. He will be good value on a rookie deal

Btw he is also has a story that somewhat explains his age. He came from the DR at 17 without support or knowing English. He got a later start at college and went to a juco before getting his shot.

I want Cooper. If he doesnít put it all together after 2 years but is developing there is a chance Iíd still like him and think he still had a shot to be a good starter. I donít think Duerte has that much room for growth so I think we will know who he is pretty quickly. Iím ok with that and was just joking with the ďheís 24Ē comment

Iím fine with them taking him. I just donít like the idea of trading up, using both 19 and 21 to get him.

I have no issue at all taking an older rookie. I almost prefer it at this stage for our team. Especially where we are drafting now. I like Obi and was fine with the pick, but the hesitancy of taking a 22 y/o in the top 10 is understandable. Drafting 19 or even a few spots up if we trade up, I have no issue taking a 23 y/o. Obi was raw based on the NBA skills he will need to be successful vs the skills that made him a beast in college, but the odds are still better you will get an NBA ready guy if you draft an older prospect. I don't really see the point in getting a few guys who are gonna rot on the bench as Thibs tries to improve upon last years success.

Page 92 of 124 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast