Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

About That Artificial Turf

https://www.680news.com/2020/11/27/r...-in-its-place/

Remember when everyone got mad at Shapiro for nixing the plans for changing to real grass? Turns out there were bigger plans in mind. Canít wait to see what they come up with!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    https://www.680news.com/2020/11/27/r...-in-its-place/

Remember when everyone got mad at Shapiro for nixing the plans for changing to real grass? Turns out there were bigger plans in mind. Canít wait to see what they come up with!!!!
    Not fond of that part of the news. Would be nice to have a new stadium. But adding more condos around there would just make traffic (foot and vehicle) even more absurd than it is on regular baseball days. Not to mention that weather in October isn't the best for baseball in Toronto if it isn't a dome structure (yes October as I'm hoping for playoff games regularly).

I agree it would be nice to have a newer stadium, but not with those add-ons or conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Not fond of that part of the news. Would be nice to have a new stadium. But adding more condos around there would just make traffic (foot and vehicle) even more absurd than it is on regular baseball days. Not to mention that weather in October isn't the best for baseball in Toronto if it isn't a dome structure (yes October as I'm hoping for playoff games regularly).

I agree it would be nice to have a newer stadium, but not with those add-ons or conditions.
    Itís funny because right by the SkyDome there isnít actually that many condos as compared to a few blocks north on King, Adelaide and Richmond. I agree that I donít want to see any more condos pop up downtown though. The ones by the water are pretty empty apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Itís funny because right by the SkyDome there isnít actually that many condos as compared to a few blocks north on King, Adelaide and Richmond. I agree that I donít want to see any more condos pop up downtown though. The ones by the water are pretty empty apparently.
    More being build on Front right now west of the Dome, Bremner, Spadina and around is already packed with condos built witing the past decade or so. As much as I like 40K crowns I don't like walking through them, finding parking or worse going through all those that just loiter outside of the Dome as a hot spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    More being build on Front right now west of the Dome, Bremner, Spadina and around is already packed with condos built witing the past decade or so. As much as I like 40K crowns I don't like walking through them, finding parking or worse going through all those that just loiter outside of the Dome as a hot spot.
    Oh yeah, I helped my cousin move into his spot at Bathurst and Front earlier this year. Condos are just part of the core now. It sounds like you need to move out of the core. I did back in 2014. I miss being close to everything but love the peace and quiet. The closest major street to me now is St Clair.

Not sure how they are fitting condos in that location current location.

I wish they moved it to exhibition grounds. It would maybe help speed up building transit. Maybe Rogers/Brookfield may be willing since transit would increase the prices of those condos.

They should move it just west of the city. Like the Milton area would be perfect for me hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Not sure how they are fitting condos in that location current location.

I wish they moved it to exhibition grounds. It would maybe help speed up building transit. Maybe Rogers/Brookfield may be willing since transit would increase the prices of those condos.
    I thought that too. But where I live they took out the equivalent of 4 fast food joints in a square shape and are now building a high rise. Doesnít take that much room. There would definitely be a lot less sidewalk space. Also consider the space that the shops and hotel take up beside the train tracks, and that parking lot there.

You guys may remember a couple of years ago they said they had something cooking about redevelopment, transit station, etc but they couldnít say much because there were lots of stakeholders. I guess this is it. I love the commitment to more than just the on field product. This is why they wanted Shapiro and this is also why I donít believe he has much to do with the roster decisions. Way too much on his plate to be worried about that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I thought that too. But where I live they took out the equivalent of 4 fast food joints in a square shape and are now building a high rise. Doesnít take that much room. There would definitely be a lot less sidewalk space. Also consider the space that the shops and hotel take up beside the train tracks, and that parking lot there.

You guys may remember a couple of years ago they said they had something cooking about redevelopment, transit station, etc but they couldnít say much because there were lots of stakeholders. I guess this is it. I love the commitment to more than just the on field product. This is why they wanted Shapiro and this is also why I donít believe he has much to do with the roster decisions. Way too much on his plate to be worried about that stuff.
    I was going under the assumption it would be some higher quality buildings (so probably bigger units) and that they would keep enough open space for the residential and tourist attractions.

But now that you mention the tracks, the city may use this as good leverage to get funding on that park above the tracks to create that open space. A development like this would cost probably $1 billion between the stadium and condos. The government probably gives breaks and some funding in exchange for Brookfield/Rogers to help fund that park as well. Oxford, who was involved in those rail deck plan, can get in on this deal as well, which would add a lot of furepower to get this to go forward. Oxford/Rogers/Brookfield would have major clout in this and would create a ton of jobs, which would make it easier for government to approve.
    Last edited by Raps18-19 Champ; 11-27-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    They should move it just west of the city. Like the Milton area would be perfect for me hahahaha
    We aren't the Expos lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    I was going under the assumption it would be some higher quality buildings (so probably bigger units) and that they would keep enough open space for the residential and tourist attractions.

But now that you mention the tracks, the city may use this as good leverage to get funding on that park above the tracks to create that open space. A development like this would cost probably $1 billion between the stadium and condos. The government probably gives breaks and some funding in exchange for Brookfield/Rogers to help fund that park as well. Oxford, who was involved in those rail deck plan, can get in on this deal as well, which would add a lot of furepower to get this to go forward. Oxford/Rogers/Brookfield would have major clout in this and would create a ton of jobs, which would make it easier for government to approve.
    I'm pretty sure the rail deck park has already been approved. They're just in the process of working it all out. Trinity Bellwoods 2.0

All the more reason for Toronto to use it as leverage to get additional funding.

They're also talking about putting it on the site of the nixed sidewalk labs. IMO the team relies on the stadium's proximity to union. So many people leave early as it is so they dont miss their train.

So from what I've read the new stadium would be built even closer to the water and take up the parking lot just south of the dome. The northern point of the dome would be where retail stores and potential condos would be. So I'm assuming that's starting around where the hotels are.

I know it's a long shot, but it'd be nice to see some local spots get built in that development. I assume there will be a couple bars/pubs in there and hope for more than a Fox or something.

Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post
    They're also talking about putting it on the site of the nixed sidewalk labs. IMO the team relies on the stadium's proximity to union. So many people leave early as it is so they dont miss their train.
    Yea I cant see it working there. That would be a nightmare commuting wise. I think the new Ontario line is still too far away from that area.

It has to be at the current site or at exhibition grounds if they want it downtown. At least at exhibition they still will have the ontario line ending there and the go station is there.