Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 LastLast
    I will for sure be rooting for Twyman. Have you guys seen the video of when Rick called him and told him he was being drafted. Dude was straight sobbing and so grateful. Speilman almost started to cry lol.

Twyman's 2019 tape showed a really good player, from what I've read. He opted out of 2020 because of Covid and to also help his family who was struggling financially. I'm not real sure exactly what that entails but it makes me think he had a poor upbringing. That layoff severely impacted his availability to for training and thus why he tested so poorly.

As I was writing this I did a quick google and found that he grew up in the housing projects of Lincoln Heights in DC.

im ok with the picks but it seems few teams wanted to trade with rick this year. out side of the jets that is. i read somewhere he couldent believe he was still there at pick 23. as for mond he either develops or he dont. they have already added a bunch of udfas.

Player Player Position College
    Turner Bernard LS San Diego State
    Tuf Borland LB Ohio State
    Christian Elliss DE Idaho
    Myron Mitchell WR UAB
    Riley Patterson PK Memphis
    Whop Philyor WR Indiana
    Blake Proehl WR East Carolina
    Asim Rose RB Kentucky
    Jordon Scott DL Oregon

this is the list so far

Now that the dust has settled and I've had some time to let the excitement of the draft wear off, I've settled on giving the Vikings a solid B. Every year Rick seems to make some really good picks while also have a few head scratchers and this year was no different. Darrisaw and Davis were great picks and I'm really intrigued by Nwangwu, Smith-Marsette, and Janarius Robinson. Robinson especially. I'm very intrigued by him. FSU had 3 different defensive coordinators during his time there. I think there is a lot to unlock here.

I don't really like the Chazz Surratt pick. He's athletic enough that there might be something here, maybe a new Eric Wilson, but 78 was too high. Could have addressed WR3 there with Dyami Brown or Amari Rodgers. Patrick Jones has a few nice traits but I don't see a ton of upside. Wish we could have picked an edger earlier but a couple potential targets were picked higher than expected.

Mond is going to be the one guy who can make or break this class. We had 7 3rd and 4th rounders so this was a luxury pick and I'm totally fine taking a risk here. A true high ceiling/low floor prospect. My initial reaction was that I didn't like it but I have seen enough out there to feel better about his ceiling. 2 years riding the bench and learning could help him reach his ceiling.

Most who give this class an A are just people who are focusing on the fact we added two big time prospects to our OL. In that regards, they would be right. Darrisaw and Davis have the potential to swing the direction of OL to being pretty good one day. The foundation is set and we have 5 young and talented OL prospects. Bradbury may only ever be average but if these guys hit and Cleveland develops our OL issues could be a thing of the past.

My only issue is with the direction Rick went. If any of you even saw half of my posts you knew I was leading the Jaelan Phillips train. I was thinking there was a good chance if the board fell right we could take Phillips at 14 and still get 2 quality OL. Well the board ended up better than I could have hoped. Brady Christensen fell to pick 70, well within reach to trade up from 78, maybe even falling to 78 since in this scenario we don't have Darrisaw. Plus if we did miss out there are still FA OT's to fill the hole at LT. At 90 we may have had our pick between Davis, Kendrick Green, Quinn Meinerz, and Ben Cleveland. Too many "what if's" here, I realize that, but I would have preferred this strategy. Phillips, Christensen, and Meinerz would have been a great haul.

Overall, I'm satisfied. I hope we use some of our remaining cash to go get another pass rusher. Somebody like Geno Atkins or Kawaan Short at DT or Melvin Ingram at DE. We still need more immediate pass rushing help.
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 05-03-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    2021 Vikings Draft:
    1: Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
    3: Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M
    3: Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina
    3: Wyatt Davis G Ohio State
    3: Patrick Jones III DE Pittsburgh
    4: Kene Nwangwu RB Iowa State
    4: Camryn Bynum S California
    4: Janarius Robinson DE Florida State
    5: Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR Iowa
    5: Zach Davidson TE Central Missouri St.
    6: Jaylen Twyman DT Pittsburgh

Which of the UDFA's do you guys think will make the team? Seems like Patterson is a lock and I read that he was considered the 2nd best kicker behind McPherson.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Now that the dust has settled and I've had some time to let the excitement of the draft wear off, I've settled on giving the Vikings a solid B. Every year Rick seems to make some really good picks while also have a few head scratchers and this year was no different. Darrisaw and Davis were great picks and I'm really intrigued by Nwangwu, Smith-Marsette, and Janarius Robinson. Robinson especially. I'm very intrigued by him. FSU had 3 different defensive coordinators during his time there. I think there is a lot to unlock here.

I don't really like the Chazz Surratt pick. He's athletic enough that there might be something here, maybe a new Eric Wilson, but 78 was too high. Could have addressed WR3 there with Dyami Brown or Amari Rodgers. Patrick Jones has a few nice traits but I don't see a ton of upside. Wish we could have picked an edger earlier but a couple potential targets were picked higher than expected.

Mond is going to be the one guy who can make or break this class. We had 7 3rd and 4th rounders so this was a luxury pick and I'm totally fine taking a risk here. A true high ceiling/low floor prospect. My initial reaction was that I didn't like it but I have seen enough out there to feel better about his ceiling. 2 years riding the bench and learning could help him reach his ceiling.

Most who give this class an A are just people who are focusing on the fact we added two big time prospects to our OL. In that regards, they would be right. Darrisaw and Davis have the potential to swing the direction of OL to being pretty good one day. The foundation is set and we have 5 young and talented OL prospects. Bradbury may only ever be average but if these guys hit and Cleveland develops our OL issues could be a thing of the past.

My only issue is with the direction Rick went. If any of you even saw half of my posts you knew I was leading the Jaelan Phillips train. I was thinking there was a good chance if the board fell right we could take Phillips at 14 and still get 2 quality OL. Well the board ended up better than I could have hoped. Brady Christensen fell to pick 70, well within reach to trade up from 78, maybe even falling to 78 since in this scenario we don't have Darrisaw. Plus if we did miss out there are still FA OT's to fill the hole at LT. At 90 we may have had our pick between Davis, Kendrick Green, Quinn Meinerz, and Ben Cleveland. Too many "what if's" here, I realize that, but I would have preferred this strategy. Phillips, Christensen, and Meinerz would have been a great haul.

Overall, I'm satisfied. I hope we use some of our remaining cash to go get another pass rusher. Somebody like Geno Atkins or Kawaan Short at DT or Melvin Ingram at DE. We still need more immediate pass rushing help.
    The Surratt pick still irks me and I hope I'm wrong. But reading some stuff on him from TDN it sounds like he's got some real upside here. He's only played the spot for 2 years after coming in as a QB which he started several games as a freshman. But after talking with Mack Brown, his goal was to get to the NFL, and they agreed that QB was not going to be it, so LB it was. He has a lot of the same qualities as Barr does, so this was for sure a move to eventually fill that role.

Surrattís first year at linebacker was in 2019 and he was outstanding. Appearing in all 13 games with 11 starts, Surratt was a First-Team All-ACC selection and runner-up for ACC Defensive Player of the Year. With 115 tackles, Surratt led the Tar Heels and finished second in the ACC with 88 tackles per game. Surratt logged 15 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and 10 quarterback hurries. He took another step forward in 2020, becoming more polished when it comes to coverage drops, pursuit angles, and tackling. Surratt is an exciting package of size, mobility, and physicality, but there are times studying his tape when you are reminded that he is still new to the position. Surratt will need to continue developing at the position and if he does, he has the makings of a starting pursuit-style linebacker that can make plays on every down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikes_Fan04 View Post
    Which of the UDFA's do you guys think will make the team? Seems like Patterson is a lock and I read that he was considered the 2nd best kicker behind McPherson.
    No idea, but maybe that 30 year old punter?

Overthecap has an article about draft trades and is comparing the value of each trade in terms of money relative to the positions each team traded up for vs what they gave up. Itís a little bit confusing and the link is below.

According to them the Jets gave up by far the most value.

https://overthecap.com/valuing-the-t...021-nfl-draft/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Vikings Draft:

Overthecap has an article about draft trades and is comparing the value of each trade in terms of money relative to the positions each team traded up for vs what they gave up. Itís a little bit confusing and the link is below.

According to them the Jets gave up by far the most value.

https://overthecap.com/valuing-the-t...021-nfl-draft/

Feels like you are telling me no one wanted to move up for Mac...

Value wise if we go by this method it would have likely been kinda cheap for a QB right? It's going G flips it since they value the position low (although I do get why Jets value it higher given their first pick too).

There is a video from inside the Panthers draft room. The Vikings called about moving up. Panthers wanted our 2022 first. We offered 90 and 143 to move up but the Panthers quickly said no.
    2021 Vikings Draft:

There is a video from inside the Panthers draft room. The Vikings called about moving up. Panthers wanted our 2022 first. We offered 90 and 143 to move up but the Panthers quickly said no.
    I love to see stuff like that. We know it was either for Slater or Fields. Makes me think it was for Slater, because if you wanted and loved Fields, you absolutely give up that 1st for your QB of the future. Unless you liked him a lot but not loved him. IDK, I'm pretty happy with how the the tide turned.

overall pretty happy with the draft. I loved the first round trade back. I was kinda shocked we didn't trade back into the second round but I don't know if they actually tried. On paper B/B+.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    I love to see stuff like that. We know it was either for Slater or Fields. Makes me think it was for Slater, because if you wanted and loved Fields, you absolutely give up that 1st for your QB of the future. Unless you liked him a lot but not loved him. IDK, I'm pretty happy with how the the tide turned.
    There was a rumor at draft time we had interest in fields but that not everyone was fully sold on him (did not specify which decision maker(s) wasn't). My guess is that would be the reason we never included like a first, many may have loved him but not the consensus of the room. I think this one might come back to haunt us in the end personally, I think Fields is a stud.

Ya PFT is noting we were in fact targeting Fields with a move up, really wish they had pull the trigger at some point. I think Dallas trade could have been easier maybe but either way it looks like we missed out and a division opponent got him which is scary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...justin-fields/

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Ya PFT is noting we were in fact targeting Fields with a move up, really wish they had pull the trigger at some point. I think Dallas trade could have been easier maybe but either way it looks like we missed out and a division opponent got him which is scary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...justin-fields/
    Yeah thatís really tough to hear. If Fields ends up being a hit and all it would have cost is a first round pick that will tough to swallow.

2021 Vikings Draft:

Yeah thatís really tough to hear. If Fields ends up being a hit and all it would have cost is a first round pick that will tough to swallow.

I am pretty sure I was saying it plenty on here too but he was my guy I coveted for a while. I wanted him so bad, I wanted us to "tank" before/earlier in the season (preferably by ditching Cousins lol) and it was with the idea we could probably never get Lawrence but we could maybe get Fields still. I was expecting we needed a top 5 pick. So there is a little emotion in this one for me or whatever since I was bought in a while ago, I am guessing maybe being an Ohio State fan you liked him a little extra too.

I have been wrong before and maybe I am here and also on Mond. Maybe we nailed it 3 years down the road. Right now I am pissed at whoever in that room wasn't sold but that really is irrelevant in a few years when we have a better idea of what these guys can do in NFL.