Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Round 6: Vikings select Pittsburgh DT Jaylen Twyman with the No. 199 overall pick

JAYLEN TWYMAN
    DT, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
    May 1, 2021, 4:34 PM ET

Vikings selected Pittsburgh DT Jaylen Twyman with the No. 199 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Twyman worked his way through the Pitt defensive line rotation before taking over as a full time starter in 2019 and subsequently opting out in 2020. He helped anchor a Pitt defense that allowed only 21.7 points and 107 rushing yards per game, 11th best in the country. He was wildly productive during his one year run as a starter with a line of 41 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 36 pressures, and 31 stops in 730 snaps. A crafty pass rusher who prefers to take a circuitous route around a blocker rather than try to overpower them head-on with a bull rush. Though he displayed impressive strength squeezing out 40 bench reps and breaking out a 32.5-inch vertical jump, Twyman’s 5.39 40-yard dash time would have ranked as the worst among the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine defensive line group. Throw in a lackluster 4.64 RAS and it’s fair to speculate whether Twyman possesses the requisite frame and athleticism to survive at the next level.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Not a big fan of Twyman but I will say the 40 time is a little misleading. His 10 yard split, which is much more important for DL, was 1.74. That ranked in the 57th percentile. His 40 is in the 3rd percentile and his 20 yard split is in the 5th percentile. His vertical and broad jump were good. So between his explosion scores and his 10 yard split that to me shows a player with good enough initial burst. He ran an 8 second 3 cone, though. That is terrible. Odds are definitely stacked against him. I’m guessing he’ll compete with James Lynch for a roster spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

never bet against a guy from the projects
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I really hope he makes it. He is extremely raw and has a lot to work on but sitting out 2020 did him no good either. I think being that he has a poor upbringing, family lives in the projects, him sitting out to help them really was a bad decision. His main reason for sitting wasn't necessarily a concern for Covid but for him to help his family who was struggling financially. It for sure showed that he likely hit the weights but he did not get work on the agility stuff. My bet, he'll come in and work his tail off but I don't think he'll make the team off the bat. He'll be a PS guy, hopefully I'm wrong.

I think there was also conflicts on what he should be at wright wise and I believe he put on like 15 lbs (may not have been on purpose). But he needs to be down closer to the 290 range.