Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    DT prospects are a little bleak the next two drafts. Not a lot of 1st round talent, doesn't mean they can't develop but it looks like we may have to go the FA route if we want a Sheldon Richardson type of impact.

I was looking at the list of FA and 1 guy pops up that lives off of 1-2 year deals but is still pretty good. How would you all feel about adding Suh for a year or two? A DL of Hunter, Pierce, Suh, ?? would be pretty damn good on paper. We then go and draft a DT in the 3rd to develop.
    As much as I dislike him for all his years in Detroit I would be thrilled if we could get him at the right price. Theres no doubt he is still playing at a level where his floor will be higher than most all rookie ceilings in year one.

I know this is the draft thread but FA impact the draft and right now my ideal FA pickups for 2021 would be:
    1: Dak Prescott-- LOLOLOL
    2: Joe Thuney or Brandon Scherff
    3: KJ Wright
    4: Ndomukong Such
    5: Richard Sherman

Moves for Cash
    Harris- Let Walk
    Rudolph- Trade/cut/release

NEEDS:
    Interior OL - Pay for one awesome vet guard and draft the two best OG in round 3
    DL 3 Tech/Edge/OLB- Draft best DT/DE/OLB available
    Safety- Draft a S in round 3 and 7 to compete for Harris spot and maybe add a bargain bin FA
    WR 3- Draft a true deep threat speedster and consider John Ross if cheap

I think we should also be heavily targeting the Jets/Jags/Dolphins for trade opportunities. With this offseason and abbreviated college season with hold outs there are going to be quality guys that fall due to not playing or getting to showcase against better divisions. With no 2nd round picks and the CAP decreasing I can see RICK trading his way down or out of round 1. Especially if OG is our primary target for the first pick then there is no reason to take a guy at #14 who will probably see pick 30.

Trade 1: Jaguars
    Vikes get pick #25 (720) & #46 (440)- 1160
    Jags get pick # 14 (1100) & a late rounder

Trade 2: Miami (on the brink of being a contended in their division and having cash to spend in free agency goes all in)
    Miami gets pick #14 and gets 3 first round picks at #6/#14/#20 1100
    Vikes get pick #38 (520) #52 (380) #83 (175) #115 (64) = 1139

Vikings Draft picks
    Round 1- None
    Round 2- 38 & 52
    Round 3- 78 & 84 & compensatory ~100
    Round 4- 109 & 110 & 115 & 123

I could see us trading back to get a second if possible. But I also think this is the draft where we go for quality more so than quantity. I think we'll be aggressive in trading up in the 2-4 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jorge 69 View Post
    As much as I dislike him for all his years in Detroit I would be thrilled if we could get him at the right price. Theres no doubt he is still playing at a level where his floor will be higher than most all rookie ceilings in year one.

I know this is the draft thread but FA impact the draft and right now my ideal FA pickups for 2021 would be:
    1: Dak Prescott-- LOLOLOL
    2: Joe Thuney or Brandon Scherff
    3: KJ Wright
    4: Ndomukong Such
    5: Richard Sherman

Moves for Cash
    Harris- Let Walk
    Rudolph- Trade/cut/release

NEEDS:
    Interior OL - Pay for one awesome vet guard and draft the two best OG in round 3
    DL 3 Tech/Edge/OLB- Draft best DT/DE/OLB available
    Safety- Draft a S in round 3 and 7 to compete for Harris spot and maybe add a bargain bin FA
    WR 3- Draft a true deep threat speedster and consider John Ross if cheap
    Im keeping cousins over prescott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

So I was thinking a bit ahead after the loss yesterday and am not sure I see cutting Reiff/Rudolph/Barr as a way to improve next year as much as I see it as a way to be able to even sign draft picks. According to over the cap this would create just over 11 mil which is like 2 depth signings and rookies. Harris/Reiff/Barr would need replacing if we did this as would Eric wilson and Dozier (both played over 90% of snaps on their side of ball).

We would only have 1 pick in the top 70 to address all of these areas and really no cap space to fill the other holes. Cutting Shemar moves it close to 15 mil but even then maybe now we just sign dozier/wilson back then get to add the rookies still leaving other holes. This is before even addressing improving the roster outside of getting some guys back. I do think Pierce/Hunter will upgrade the dline but we could use more, Kendricks is great but can't be our only LB out there either and DB's while young could use a vet/upgrade still or at least a high level safety if not filling in for Harris. Add Oline needing upgrades but losing Rieff and potentially Dozier too.

I just don't see how we really are able to add to this roster next season and in the following year Cousins jumps to a 45 mil cap hit. So I would do everything possible to trade Cousins, probably try for like a 2nd from the 49ers. It only clears like 11 mil or so off the cap next season but even that will help given how tight we will be. PFF had an article on how many good QB's they have rated in this draft as well (Fields/Wilson/Trask/Mac Jones... https://www.pff.com/news/draft-how-g...-talented-ever).

1. QB
    2. OL
    3. Safety
    4-7 DL/LB

If possible I would use a chunk of that cash to add one nice vet addition to a position of need (DT like Suh someone mentioned for example). We can also maybe get like Odenigbo back as well depending on how we make use of it. While this might mean another middle of the pack or down season it would set us up so well for 2 years out where we will then have cap for FA and another draft to finish rounding out the roster. Round 2 could be a DE or even round 1 could be oline or DE then try getting a QB we like later that's just a general idea if everything works out BPA wise of where we would hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    So I was thinking a bit ahead after the loss yesterday and am not sure I see cutting Reiff/Rudolph/Barr as a way to improve next year as much as I see it as a way to be able to even sign draft picks. According to over the cap this would create just over 11 mil which is like 2 depth signings and rookies. Harris/Reiff/Barr would need replacing if we did this as would Eric wilson and Dozier (both played over 90% of snaps on their side of ball).

We would only have 1 pick in the top 70 to address all of these areas and really no cap space to fill the other holes. Cutting Shemar moves it close to 15 mil but even then maybe now we just sign dozier/wilson back then get to add the rookies still leaving other holes. This is before even addressing improving the roster outside of getting some guys back. I do think Pierce/Hunter will upgrade the dline but we could use more, Kendricks is great but can't be our only LB out there either and DB's while young could use a vet/upgrade still or at least a high level safety if not filling in for Harris. Add Oline needing upgrades but losing Rieff and potentially Dozier too.

I just don't see how we really are able to add to this roster next season and in the following year Cousins jumps to a 45 mil cap hit. So I would do everything possible to trade Cousins, probably try for like a 2nd from the 49ers. It only clears like 11 mil or so off the cap next season but even that will help given how tight we will be. PFF had an article on how many good QB's they have rated in this draft as well (Fields/Wilson/Trask/Mac Jones... https://www.pff.com/news/draft-how-g...-talented-ever).

1. QB
    2. OL
    3. Safety
    4-7 DL/LB

If possible I would use a chunk of that cash to add one nice vet addition to a position of need (DT like Suh someone mentioned for example). We can also maybe get like Odenigbo back as well depending on how we make use of it. While this might mean another middle of the pack or down season it would set us up so well for 2 years out where we will then have cap for FA and another draft to finish rounding out the roster. Round 2 could be a DE or even round 1 could be oline or DE then try getting a QB we like later that's just a general idea if everything works out BPA wise of where we would hit.
    Right now weíre only 5.5 over the estimated cap. Reiff alone saves 11.7 million. Cutting Barr saves almost 8 million and Rudy saves 5 million. Iíd cut Stephen too and save that 3.7 million. That gives you about 22 million in cap space. We could also save additional cap space by giving out extensions. Harrison Smith will likely get one and you can lower his cap hit in year 1. If Cousins is going to be the guy then he needs a new contract as well because a cap of 40 million in 2022 isnít going to work. Plenty of ways to create cap space. Theyíll be fine.

2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Right now weíre only 5.5 over the estimated cap. Reiff alone saves 11.7 million. Cutting Barr saves almost 8 million and Rudy saves 5 million. Iíd cut Stephen too and save that 3.7 million. That gives you about 22 million in cap space. We could also save additional cap space by giving out extensions. Harrison Smith will likely get one and you can lower his cap hit in year 1. If Cousins is going to be the guy then he needs a new contract as well because a cap of 40 million in 2022 isnít going to work. Plenty of ways to create cap space. Theyíll be fine.

Hmmm, over the cap has us at -12 million for next year not 5. Cutting Barr/Rieff/Shemar/Rudy like I mentioned puts at just under 15 mil according to them.

Pushing cap further down the road is something we already did this year, I don't think it is smart to keep doing so when we just ended up missing the playoffs. I get it if you have a super bowl team but the issue I am pointing out kind of like I did before this season is that isn't the case with us as currently constructed. Extending Cousins has already been done one too many times and that's the exact reason we owe him over 40 mil in 2022, I don't want a repeat of that either lol.

We will be fine to compete for the playoffs and either just miss it by a couple games like 2/3 years so far with Cousins or make it but not as far as we did with Keenum in the other 1 year so far with Cousins... To me he was brought in to improve the team not take steps backwards including missing the playoffs over half his seasons here so far. I don't get why we would push this down the road, limit adding other talent etc. to keep building around this QB with these results we have seen at the price he commands.

Vikings 3 years prior to Cousins: 32-16 with a wildcard loss (thanks walsh) and conference finals loss with a missed playoffs.
    Vikings 3 years with Cousins: 24-22-1 with one divisional round appearance/loss and two missed playoffs.

We might be alright but we were a little better than alright before Cousins got here. We have taken a step backwards overall since the strategy of paying up for Cousins and shifting cap down the road. Down the road comes eventually (see next years situation) and on top of that the outcomes haven't even been improved we took a step back in doing so.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 12-26-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Hmmm, over the cap has us at -12 million for next year not 5. Cutting Barr/Rieff/Shemar/Rudy like I mentioned puts at just under 15 mil according to them.

Pushing cap further down the road is something we already did this year, I don't think it is smart to keep doing so when we just ended up missing the playoffs. I get it if you have a super bowl team but the issue I am pointing out kind of like I did before this season is that isn't the case with us as currently constructed. Extending Cousins has already been done one too many times and that's the exact reason we owe him over 40 mil in 2022, I don't want a repeat of that either lol.

We will be fine to compete for the playoffs and either just miss it by a couple games like 2/3 years so far with Cousins or make it but not as far as we did with Keenum in the other 1 year so far with Cousins... To me he was brought in to improve the team not take steps backwards including missing the playoffs over half his seasons here so far. I don't get why we would push this down the road, limit adding other talent etc. to keep building around this QB with these results we have seen at the price he commands.

Vikings 3 years prior to Cousins: 32-16 with a wildcard loss (thanks walsh) and conference finals loss with a missed playoffs.
    Vikings 3 years with Cousins: 24-22-1 with one divisional round appearance/loss and two missed playoffs.

We might be alright but we were a little better than alright before Cousins got here. We have taken a step backwards overall since the strategy of paying up for Cousins and shifting cap down the road. Down the road comes eventually (see next years situation) and on top of that the outcomes haven't even been improved we took a step back in doing so.
    I see 8.3 on overthecap and 5.5 on spotrac. It looks like the difference between the two sites is spotrac is including the 3.2 in cap space we have right now. You're allowed to rollover cap space from the previous year so I think the 5.5 is right.

I'm not suggesting pushing money into future years. That's what we did with Cousins last year to create cap. It's been pretty common for the Vikings to give out an extension that has a higher signing bonus in year 1 and a cheaper base salary so the cap hit is lower. That's what I would expect to happen with Harrison Smith. O'Neill will be entering the final year of his deal and will need an extension as well. I think we almost have to give Cousins an extension or at least rework his contract to lower that 2022 cap hit. Remember, his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed by the 3rd day of the 2021 league year. So we'll have to make a decision on him this off season.

I don't think it's fair to compare the records before and after Cousins got here. I think it's pretty obvious that we got fluke season out of Keenum in 2017. We had the #1 defense in terms of points and yards allowed that year. Since Cousins arrived the defense has got worse every single year. We only made it to the NFCG in 2017 because of a lucky play. Take out luck and 2017 and 2019 end the exact same way. The Keenum luck came crashing down to earth in a big way during those two playoff games and that's why we decided to go after Cousins.

IMO, this team is reminding me a lot our 2014 season. That year was when we started to see some of young talent on D start to emerge. The following year we hit big on our draft class and made the playoffs. The 2020 team has some similarities with rookies like Dantzler, Gladney, and Wonnum having impressive moments on D and Jefferson/Cleveland looking promising on offense. Getting back Hunter and Pierce will be huge. Pierce can be our new Linval Joseph, just like 2014. Depending on who we cut/extend, there's a good chance we'll have enough cash to at least be active in free agency. We'll head into the draft with probably 12-13 draft picks, half of which will be in the top half of each round. Then factor in that hopefully the NFL will be able to have somewhat of a normal off season. I won't be surprised at all to see the Vikings rebound next year and get back into the playoffs.

Honestly, anybody who was expecting this year to be anything other than a struggle wasn't really paying attention. The fact we even had any shot at the playoffs at all should be testament to the coaching job this staff did this year. We've had about 8 rookies see extensive playing time and even a few practice squad players start games. All of that included with a COVID filled off season where we moved on from a bunch of veteran players and replaced them with rookies who had no real off season to prepare. Then top that off with a boat load of injuries and Pierce opting out. We're lucky we didn't go 3-13 or worse. We put a lot of young guys through the ringer and some of them came out the other side looking better off. IMO I think we'll look back at this season as blessing in disguise. Even for Kirk too. At the beginning of the season I was ready to jump ship but since the bye week I think he's turned a corner. I'm preparing for a big 2021 season from this team.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

I see 8.3 on overthecap and 5.5 on spotrac. It looks like the difference between the two sites is spotrac is including the 3.2 in cap space we have right now. You're allowed to rollover cap space from the previous year so I think the 5.5 is right.

I'm not suggesting pushing money into future years. That's what we did with Cousins last year to create cap. It's been pretty common for the Vikings to give out an extension that has a higher signing bonus in year 1 and a cheaper base salary so the cap hit is lower. That's what I would expect to happen with Harrison Smith. O'Neill will be entering the final year of his deal and will need an extension as well. I think we almost have to give Cousins an extension or at least rework his contract to lower that 2022 cap hit. Remember, his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed by the 3rd day of the 2021 league year. So we'll have to make a decision on him this off season.

I don't think it's fair to compare the records before and after Cousins got here. I think it's pretty obvious that we got fluke season out of Keenum in 2017. We had the #1 defense in terms of points and yards allowed that year. Since Cousins arrived the defense has got worse every single year. We only made it to the NFCG in 2017 because of a lucky play. Take out luck and 2017 and 2019 end the exact same way. The Keenum luck came crashing down to earth in a big way during those two playoff games and that's why we decided to go after Cousins.

IMO, this team is reminding me a lot our 2014 season. That year was when we started to see some of young talent on D start to emerge. The following year we hit big on our draft class and made the playoffs. The 2020 team has some similarities with rookies like Dantzler, Gladney, and Wonnum having impressive moments on D and Jefferson/Cleveland looking promising on offense. Getting back Hunter and Pierce will be huge. Pierce can be our new Linval Joseph, just like 2014. Depending on who we cut/extend, there's a good chance we'll have enough cash to at least be active in free agency. We'll head into the draft with probably 12-13 draft picks, half of which will be in the top half of each round. Then factor in that hopefully the NFL will be able to have somewhat of a normal off season. I won't be surprised at all to see the Vikings rebound next year and get back into the playoffs.

Honestly, anybody who was expecting this year to be anything other than a struggle wasn't really paying attention. The fact we even had any shot at the playoffs at all should be testament to the coaching job this staff did this year. We've had about 8 rookies see extensive playing time and even a few practice squad players start games. All of that included with a COVID filled off season where we moved on from a bunch of veteran players and replaced them with rookies who had no real off season to prepare. Then top that off with a boat load of injuries and Pierce opting out. We're lucky we didn't go 3-13 or worse. We put a lot of young guys through the ringer and some of them came out the other side looking better off. IMO I think we'll look back at this season as blessing in disguise. Even for Kirk too. At the beginning of the season I was ready to jump ship but since the bye week I think he's turned a corner. I'm preparing for a big 2021 season from this team.
    It has our top 51 as 188380357 even on the 2021 tab, even though that 8 mil is in parenthisis the cap is projected at 176 mil which is just over 12 mil. When you go to the calculator tab it uses the total expenditures number which is slightly higher (like 500k) and has us at 12.8 mil below. That's where I was getting the numbers but I think I see the 8 mil you reference in parenthesis I am not sure why that's there/differs from the actual math and their calculator tool. Even if rolling over a few mil etc. and this and that the cap overall will be very tight still either way though and his cap is 45 mil after that.

Well just extending based on performance/need coming up is fine but extending Oneal could add more then cause he is currently slated for 1 mil only anyways. I am fine extending Smith like you mention but also would realize we can't guarantee too far out on him either at a high number. Having to decide on Cousin and his large hit etc. is why I bring this up and I agree. My choice is trade him, I actually mentioned before the season we should take that approach (unless we were an elite contender which I had my doubts on then confirmed early on in the year). I am saying lets stop moving cap further out or extending out guys like him we maybe don't want at the hit it will take (like the 45 mil we are stuck with currently in 2 seasons and it being guaranteed sooner than later). Extending like Cousins in this way eventually catches up to us (see: now) and I want to be done with this, I don't think it has worked out.

I think it is partially fair but context should also be considered, he was brought in to take us to the next level though. You don't pay someone like that or talk like that or portray it how it was etc. without those expectations and evaluating the results in reality compared to where we were/expectations do matter. We had better surrounding parts and a top defense in part because we had extra cap space not inserted into the QB position. Right now Kirk Cousins making the playoffs is the fluke when looking at his career if we want to play that game. We only got stopped at the WC game2 years before due to an unlucky play... We can go around in circles with the what ifs or whats flukes or just acknowledge the results in our evaluation within context (including what we were/had been doing prior to Cousins and what has been done since).

Having young talent only makes pairing a young talented QB and creating more cap to add vets in say 2 years when ready make more sense. Breaking out and jumping from 7-9 to 10-6 but not having enough for those extra additions isn't really my end game/goal. I don't see how we have much cap to be active in FA given we are currently below it without resigning guys with major playing time like Harris/Dozier/Wilson and even Odenigbo too. Cutting Rieff/Barr while adding cap adds holes to the roster, Rudy not as much but LT/LB become needs or interior line if losing Dozier/moving Ezra. I agree we hit on this rookie class but we also are limited in adding this year and will have Cousins at 45 mil in 2 years. Hunter/Pierce are great but they don't fill the rest of our issues, including oline if Cousins remains (especially if cutting Rieff on top).

I this before the season and paid attention all season and all previous seasons which is why I have been saying this for a while. It would have helped doing it earlier or just not resigning him but we keep missing our chances, oh well. It's not a one season thing it is a career of evidence and our recent history and his actual price tag/results to follow. Kirk is always up and down though and we can't just ignore the beginning of the season either he was bad. That's going to happen and in bigger moments/situations he won't step up unless everything is perfect. Even with how it went yesterday as wolfpac mentioned the D had 2 picks there was a point momentum could have shifted and then who knows. Before the half it was 17-14 and they just had gotten the ball back getting close to the end of the half. We went 3 and out and on 3rd and short Cousins took a sack with Jefferson having a half step on an under route. It's a huge play and situationally could have been even if we just get that then punt leave it 17-14 our ball out of half but instead it's now a 10 point game, let alone if he completes that and the drive turns into something then we approach the game different in 2nd half. Even when he isn't the reason we lose he almost never steps up and often in big moments in games misses opportunities he should take advantage of given his price tag especially (Keenum much cheaper makes the throw at least instead of taking a sack). It's not just this year or just that play or just anything it is the entirety of the situation and what this team was/has become, his price tag, the timeline on guaranteeing that $/hit and his overall play throughout his career including early this season and situationally we often see in bigger games/moments for us.

I hope you are right, I would be more excited for 2021 knowing we have a bright future to look forward to more than repeating our recent approaches with Hunter/Pierce but without Rieff/Barr/Harris and not having much chance to make more additions either other than one top 70 pick.

So here is how I see things for the future. Regardless of what we see online, the Vikings need to make some moves to free up cap space. Here is how I would like to see things unfold:

Release:
    Kyle Rudolph (saves 5.1)
    Anthony Barr (saves 7.7)
    Shamar Stephen (saves 3.7)

Extend:
    Harrison Smith
    Brian OíNeill

Resign:
    Eric Wilson

Iím not still 100% sold on Cousins but I expect him to stick around so I hope we give him a new contract that doesnít have a 45 million future cap hit.

Iím not really too focused on free agency because we probably wonít have much money to do a whole lot but there are a few guys who stand out to me and those are Forrest Lamp and Malik Hooker. Iíve been high on Lamp since he came out of college and think heíll be a good fit in our zone scheme. Hooker hasnít been able to stay healthy but heís really talented and has ball hawk ability. Iíd love to see what he could do with Zimmer. Both guys are talented but have enough question marks that we could get them cheap enough.

But my reason for optimism is the young guys. We have good building blocks on both sides of the ball. Offensively we have Cook, Jefferson, Smith, OíNeill, Bradbury, and Cleveland. On defense we have Hunter, Pierce, Kendricks, Gladney, and Dantzler. We also have other guys who have shown glimpses of potential at times. Guys like Tyler Conklin, Bisi Johnson, Ifeadi Odenigbo, DJ Wonnum, James Lynch, Armon Watts, Chris Jones, and Harrison Hand.

Even though we are missing our second round pick we still have 11 picks and will get at least 1 comp pick (3rd or 4th for Waynes). We probably beat Detroit and finish 7-9. Using last year as a guide, the lowest weíll pick is 16th so our own 6 picks will be inside the top half of the draft. Last time we picked that high was our 2015 draft. Our list of needs actually arenít that long. 3T, LG, and S are the big ones. Weíll need LB depth if we move on from Barr but Kendricks and Wilson will see the bulk of snaps. WR and corner depth. Once we get our comp pick for Waynes weíll have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Thatís plenty of picks to hit our areas of need. Thatís also plenty for Rick to trade back into the 2nd round, which I expect him to do.

Finding a LG and a DT, IMO, should be the top priorities. Whoever plays next to Harrison Smith usually ends up having success so Iím not too worried about finding a safety. Upgrading on Dozier shouldnít be hard. Finding a pass rushing DT will be tough but if we can find one it should go a long ways toward fixing this pass rush. Plus, we have Andre Patterson so if we can find a DT in the top 3 rounds I feel good Patterson can get him out there quick. Hopefully we can find one in the first round. The rest is mostly just depth, which is what you typically find in your draft classes.

Iím excited for next year. Letís cut our dead weight, see our young guys continue to develop, and bring in another strong draft class. That will go a long ways toward turning things around.

2020 Vikings Draft:

So here is how I see things for the future. Regardless of what we see online, the Vikings need to make some moves to free up cap space. Here is how I would like to see things unfold:

Release:
    Kyle Rudolph (saves 5.1)
    Anthony Barr (saves 7.7)

Extend:
    Harrison Smith
    Brian OíNeill

Resign:
    Eric Wilson

Iím not still 100% sold on Cousins but I expect him to stick around so I hope we give him a new contract that doesnít have a 45 million future cap hit.

Iím not really too focused on free agency because we probably wonít have much money to do a whole lot but there are a few guys who stand out to me and those are Forrest Lamp and Malik Hooker. Iíve been high on Lamp since he came out of college and think heíll be a good fit in our zone scheme. Hooker hasnít been able to stay healthy but heís really talented and has ball hawk ability. Iíd love to see what he could do with Zimmer. Both guys are talented but have enough question marks that we could get them cheap enough.

But my reason for optimism is the young guys. We have good building blocks on both sides of the ball. Offensively we have Cook, Jefferson, Smith, OíNeill, Bradbury, and Cleveland. On defense we have Hunter, Pierce, Kendricks, Gladney, and Dantzler. We also have other guys who have shown glimpses of potential at times. Guys like Tyler Conklin, Bisi Johnson, Ifeadi Odenigbo, DJ Wonnum, James Lynch, Armon Watts, Chris Jones, and Harrison Hand.

Even though we are missing our second round pick we still have 11 picks and will get at least 1 comp pick (3rd or 4th for Waynes). We probably beat Detroit and finish 7-9. Using last year as a guide, the lowest weíll pick is 16th so our own 6 picks will be inside the top half of the draft. Last time we picked that high was our 2015 draft. Our list of needs actually arenít that long. 3T, LG, and S are the big ones. Weíll need LB depth if we move on from Barr but Kendricks and Wilson will see the bulk of snaps. WR and corner depth. Once we get our comp pick for Waynes weíll have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Thatís plenty of picks to hit our areas of need. Thatís also plenty for Rick to trade back into the 2nd round, which I expect him to do.

Finding a LG and a DT, IMO, should be the top priorities. Whoever plays next to Harrison Smith usually ends up having success so Iím not too worried about finding a safety. Upgrading on Dozier shouldnít be hard. Finding a pass rushing DT will be tough but if we can find one it should go a long ways toward fixing this pass rush. Plus, we have Andre Patterson so if we can find a DT in the top 3 rounds I feel good Patterson can get him out there quick. Hopefully we can find one in the first round. The rest is mostly just depth, which is what you typically find in your draft classes.

Iím excited for next year. Letís cut our dead weight, see our young guys continue to develop, and bring in another strong draft class. That will go a long ways toward turning things around.

What would getting rid of Smith save us?

If you cant beat them, join them

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    What would getting rid of Smith save us?

A little over 10 million but why would we do that?

2020 Vikings Draft:

If it's anyway we draft Marvin Wilson the DT from Florida State then I would be happy as hell. That boy is a monster.

Release:
    Kyle Rudolph (saves 5.1)
    Anthony Barr (saves 7.7)

Extend:
    Harrison Smith
    Brian OíNeill

Resign:
    Eric Wilson

Agree 100%. Like it or not we needed a short rebuild year and should have know there would be set backs with the veteran losses and COVID offseason. I like your ideas as well since it's not a huge cut/release party. Minnesota, by players stances seems to be a great place to be but we simply don't ever win those free agent bidding wars. Like it or not, CAP space is meaningless if guys prefer to go to superbowl contenders, their home states, coastal cities or income tax free states. Rick catches a ton of **** from fans who want all these players in free agency but are also CAP conscious and also expect that player to prefer Minny to all other destinations.

There are guys we need to cut/release/restructure but its foolish to criticize Rick for this team not having ton of cap for free agents who don't exist and don't want to be in Minnesota and somehow expect that is he clears house this offseason he will get all of these great guys in free agency at bargain prices. Seriously who were we going to get week 8-14 this year to help this team win more games?

We need flexibility in the cap and realistically any money saved cutting Rudy etc. should be invested into 1 impact player. We need one impactful lineman on either side of the ball and that is probably the only free agent we'll go after that gets anyone excited. We will all more than likely be pissed at how much we give any free agent for the reasons I said below. IF they aren't itching to get to minnesota we start the bidding war with the short stick.

We saw alot of up and downs from our young guys this year but we saw steady improvement week to week. This team never had the ammo for a deep playoff run this year and I never fed into that delusion. A solid offseason and a few extra pieces are going to make Minnesota a Dangerous team in 2021.

It'll be interesting to see what we do with Reiff. Because moving on from him would save us a lot of $$. I don't think Cleveland's future is at guard. Is he ready to move to LT, might not have any other choice but to go that route. I mean that is why we drafted him.

Most mocks have us taking OL in round 1. I've seen Rashawn Slater picked to us quite a bit. He's played all over the line but would project at OG. What about Udoh? I feel like he deserved a shot at guard just to see. He played well last year against Mack in week 17

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast