ďWith the 14th Pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings selectĒ:

OT Christian Darrisaw
    QB Kellen Mond
    OG Wyatt Davis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    looks pretty sweet
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Only pick I can say I donít like is Twyman. Some people still like him but I didnít think he was impressive on tape and then he tested terrible at his pro day. I think he benefited from having a good pair of DEs around him. Hopefully Iím wrong but who cares itís only a 6th round pick.

Brother I think we killed this draft. You are are resident Mel Kiper so I will certainly defer to you but I'm pretty sure you and I agree we finally got our Oline help we have been wanting forever and we have so many good players and also developmental studs as well. Honestly based on everything I would give us an A but I would certainly hear differing opinions(Looking at you Aktoyla, I think thats how you spell it.) But I'd love your overall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    Brother I think we killed this draft. You are are resident Mel Kiper so I will certainly defer to you but I'm pretty sure you and I agree we finally got our Oline help we have been wanting forever and we have so many good players and also developmental studs as well. Honestly based on everything I would give us an A but I would certainly hear differing opinions(Looking at you Aktoyla, I think thats how you spell it.) But I'd love your overall as well.
    I'm pretty happy with our draft. I wouldn't give it an A. I'm thinking a B+. I'm gonna write up something on each player and post my thoughts later.
    2021 Vikings Draft:
    1: Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
    3: Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M
    3: Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina
    3: Wyatt Davis G Ohio State
    3: Patrick Jones III DE Pittsburgh
    4: Kene Nwangwu RB Iowa State
    4: Camryn Bynum S California
    4: Janarius Robinson DE Florida State
    5: Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR Iowa
    5: Zach Davidson TE Central Missouri St.
    6: Jaylen Twyman DT Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    After letting all the chips fall and seeing who we are picking up as UDFA, Iím going to call the draft a B-, C+. I still believe there were too many instances of ďoh *****Ē moments leading to some reaching. Mond will be what this draft hinges on. I still think Mills from Stanford was our better option. I think he reminds me of a better Fitzmagic and the smarts to excel at Stanford would have been hard to pass up, ever for a rocket arm. Mond to me plays like heís thinking too hard and I think that is where his inconsistent play comes from. I think believe the pick of AVT and trying to land the right tackle from ok state by moving up into the second would have lead to a better OLINE that what we are currently looking at. Getting high enough to draft The kid from ok state would have been expensive, but I also believe that the RT talent in this draft far outshines that of LT and I think we could have found a decent RT and moved OíNeill to LT. I have a thing for LTís that are over 6,7Ē. I think in three years we will still be looking at QB and replacing one or both of our new LTís or Guard drafted. (Iím saying LT.) I donít think our Guard from Ohio State will excel at LG (especially if my take on our LT is right) and I donít believe Cleveland is going to pan out at LG either (if he does it will probably be right after he signs his second nfl contract with a new team. I like the returners we drafted, and the WRís we drafted, but I think we were a little one sided looking only at their return skills, and cross my fingers that either the kid from IA state or the other return receiver we drafted can contribute on a regular basis. I think if the kid from IA STATE pans out this is a set up to get maximum trade value out of mattison in the next year (before his contract is due - with Cookís contract, we wonít be able to afford both- mostly because I think cook holds out again knowing we short changed the ***** out of him on the last one. The LB we drafted I believe will be special teams with only SPOT placement on defense in a pinch. I believe the bears got drastically better again this off season/ draft and we are inching along. Fact is out OLINE will be drastically inexperienced, and I believe the penalties are going to be nuts because of it. We spent too much the last two years on DT and knot being able to draft one and develop one, with arguably the best DLine coach in the game has me worried and I believe that DT price tag will hamstring our team a little longer on top of the terrible cousinís contract. I figured Armon Watts would have developed. Figured Hercules was wishful thinking, maybe this year he surprises, but not likely. I believe we should have traded Barr this off season (even with minimized value from last season) but I think his best days are behind him too - still would LOVE to see him as a pure rushing DE. With his ability to still drop back in zone from DE spot it gives the d more flexibility that him being our strong side LB. I still firmly believe that the mismanagement of this teams cap and drafting has kept this team stagnant. And aside from being flashy on draft day, the substance is lacking.

To recap- 2021 too many reaches, too many question marks, too many instances of falling in love with one aspect of a players game hoping they can develop the other aspects. And history has kind of shown that if itís not DE, unless we draft someone who is clearly on the rise developmentally, the coaching development isnít going to make that happen either.

Anyways. My take, again, prove me wrong.
    Last edited by akytola; 05-02-2021 at 11:49 AM.

NBC SPORTS gave our draft grade a B. Only problem is EVERYONE else in our division was graded at a B+ or higher. I agree except our grade is lower than a B.

2021 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

I think a B grade sounds about right.

I think we killed the first day with getting that trade and darrisaw. The rest was more like a C+ or so to me, everyone talked about moving up for another stud talent and we just sat and waited for a QB I am not high on at all instead is a factor there.

I donít think we got any major steals later outside arguably Davis but I also think the picks seemed solid/have hope. This draft lacked depth so I am not sure we should expect much from 4th round on but thatís normal anyways (I think this is why many wanted to move up). Darrisaw and Davis were very good picks and outside that I think we took some ok later shots but missed on the upper tiers of talent.

I don't think I've seen anyone give the Packers anything above a C.

The only guys I really wanted to get that we realistically could've gotten were JOK (trade up), Perkins, and Darden. Still can't believe we didn't take Darden.

Also, not a huge Mond guy but they can afford to have him sit a couple years and see what happens, so I'm cool with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I think a B grade sounds about right.

I think we killed the first day with getting that trade and darrisaw. The rest was more like a C+ or so to me, everyone talked about moving up for another stud talent and we just sat and waited for a QB I am not high on at all instead is a factor there.

I donít think we got any major steals later outside arguably Davis but I also think the picks seemed solid/have hope. This draft lacked depth so I am not sure we should expect much from 4th round on but thatís normal anyways (I think this is why many wanted to move up). Darrisaw and Davis were very good picks and outside that I think we took some ok later shots but missed on the upper tiers of talent.

Rick said after round 3 that he tried like hell to trade up into the 2nd round but the price was way to high with the activity that was going on (7 trades through first 9 picks). No one really knows what we got or haven't got until these guys get NFL coaching and workout programs. Hunter was a raw athlete, Diggs was a high injury WR, Kendricks was undersized, Oneil was a TE, Thielen was a grocery bagger... I may or may not know what you know but I watch a lot of college football (mostly cause I bet all day long) so I usually know the first 300 guys that get drafted like the back of my hand. This season with the opt outs and shortened seasons I am not passing any judgement until I see these guys play.

Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    I don't think I've seen anyone give the Packers anything above a C.

The only guys I really wanted to get that we realistically could've gotten were JOK (trade up), Perkins, and Darden. Still can't believe we didn't take Darden.

Also, not a huge Mond guy but they can afford to have him sit a couple years and see what happens, so I'm cool with that.
    Say Erin continues and pushes his way out of GB
    Suddenly, Cousins is the ONLY starting QB in the division who started for their team last year.

2021 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by El Jorge 69 View Post
    Rick said after round 3 that he tried like hell to trade up into the 2nd round but the price was way to high with the activity that was going on (7 trades through first 9 picks). No one really knows what we got or haven't got until these guys get NFL coaching and workout programs. Hunter was a raw athlete, Diggs was a high injury WR, Kendricks was undersized, Oneil was a TE, Thielen was a grocery bagger... I may or may not know what you know but I watch a lot of college football (mostly cause I bet all day long) so I usually know the first 300 guys that get drafted like the back of my hand. This season with the opt outs and shortened seasons I am not passing any judgement until I see these guys play.
    Should I name all the missed picks now? You can do the same the other way if you want to take a negative look.

None of that takes away from what I have been saying and you evaluate based on what you do know/have seen. The funny thing is I liked all the ones you mentioned and Iíll add in smith/Teddy as my favorites from their draft I was so happy we got back into first for both. I liked the talent/spot we took those players or signed in theilans case, I do not as much like this drafts in the same way. I know there were less with covid which is part of why I and many heading in talked about quality over quantity but we ended up trading back then not making those moves up and going more quantity with what 10 total picks?

We will have to wait and see though that part I fully agree with and is true every draft but we still will judge/grade/rate now based off what has happened already/the opinions we all have now.

from the star tribune:
    So, the final tally on the Diggs trade is:

To Buffalo:

ē Diggs, who led the league in receptions and yards receiving as a first-team All-Pro receiver last season.

ē 2020 seventh-rounder Dane Jackson, a cornerback who had one interception in five games (one start).

To the Vikings:

ē Justin Jefferson, the first-round pick who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

ē Defensive end Kenny Willekes, a 2020 seventh-rounder who spent last year on injured reserve. The Vikings got this pick when they traded Buffalo's sixth-rounder to Baltimore.

ē Bynum, who played corner at Cal but projects to safety in the NFL.

ē Robinson, an inconsistent edge rusher who has all the tools that assistant coach and D-line Whisperer Andre Patterson looks for in an underachiever.

And Ö

ē Davidson, the former scrawny kid with one heck of a beefy story line that's definitely worth watching.

---
    first, that's the first I've read that Bynum projects to safety
    second, Davidson is 6-7 245 'and still filling out'
    third, I'd forgotten about Willekes

what any of it means, I dunno...we can debate drafts all we want, the only TRUE grade is still years off

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    from the star tribune:
    So, the final tally on the Diggs trade is:

To Buffalo:

ē Diggs, who led the league in receptions and yards receiving as a first-team All-Pro receiver last season.

ē 2020 seventh-rounder Dane Jackson, a cornerback who had one interception in five games (one start).

To the Vikings:

ē Justin Jefferson, the first-round pick who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

ē Defensive end Kenny Willekes, a 2020 seventh-rounder who spent last year on injured reserve. The Vikings got this pick when they traded Buffalo's sixth-rounder to Baltimore.

ē Bynum, who played corner at Cal but projects to safety in the NFL.

ē Robinson, an inconsistent edge rusher who has all the tools that assistant coach and D-line Whisperer Andre Patterson looks for in an underachiever.

And Ö

ē Davidson, the former scrawny kid with one heck of a beefy story line that's definitely worth watching.

---
    first, that's the first I've read that Bynum projects to safety
    second, Davidson is 6-7 245 'and still filling out'
    third, I'd forgotten about Willekes

what any of it means, I dunno...we can debate drafts all we want, the only TRUE grade is still years off
    I thought I had been seeing he would likely move to safety as well, I think it was mentioned at draft time a team might.

Davidson story is really interesting... That frame is great, he likely has a lot of work to do but I think you can see with the athletics what they envision/the potential.

When Bynum was picked he was announced as a safety and he confirmed to reporters he is going to play safety. He ran in the high 4.58s so a move to safety is probably best for him. I donít pay much attention to the PAC 12 so Iím interested to find out what we got in him.

2021 Vikings Draft:
    1: Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech
    3: Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M
    3: Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina
    3: Wyatt Davis G Ohio State
    3: Patrick Jones III DE Pittsburgh
    4: Kene Nwangwu RB Iowa State
    4: Camryn Bynum S California
    4: Janarius Robinson DE Florida State
    5: Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR Iowa
    5: Zach Davidson TE Central Missouri St.
    6: Jaylen Twyman DT Pittsburgh

Bynum will be a safety. He stated that every team that he met with during the draft process asked about moving him to another position. He doesn't have the speed or athleticism to play corner in the NFL.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Bynum is a lot like Anthony Harris coming in. Almost the same size, ran almost identical 40's. Bynum ran 4.57 and Harris ran 4.58. Bynum is a student of the game and appears to have a knack for creating plays. Bynum was quoted recently stating that Harrison will probably be annoyed with him because he will constantly be picking his brain lol.

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast