• C

2 10.53%
  • D

1 5.26%
  • F

1 5.26%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    I'm going to say there is little to no chance of that happening. Unlike Obi, the signs were there regarding Knox even before he was drafted and Mitch was just as highly ranked...he just left college early which created some red flags.

I'd be more willing to bet that the doom and gloom reactions to the Obi pick will go down as being as ridiculous as the reactions to the KP pick
    man i hope you're right.

I like the Quickley pick, just didnt like that we didn't draft any PG at all. Even getting Nico at #33 would have been a reasonable gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    man i hope you're right.

I like the Quickley pick, just didnt like that we didn't draft any PG at all. Even getting Nico at #33 would have been a reasonable gamble.
    It's all about Obi. If Obi really is Blake Griffin 2.0 and Haliburton is a solid but unspectacular PG like Dejounte Murray on the Spurs then we will be talking about how we all overreacted (myself included) to a draft pick again. I was bummed the night of the draft for the same reason as you but I keep coming back to this realization:

#1.) We are terrible.
    #2.) Terrible teams should always draft talent over need.
    Last edited by KnicksorBust; 11-30-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

My opinion of this offseason is that the Knicks essentially did nothing, which a lot of people would've been happy with prior. People are basically just bummed out about Obi and Payton, but not only did the Knicks not even reach the cap floor, they didn't sign a single person that warrants giving playing time automatically to. It's set up so that the young players can step up, but when some of them don't it'll likely be an issue while ignoring the little they have to do to pass some of these players on the depth chart.

On top of that, they got rid of the glut of bigs and now have a bunch of guards and wings that are average to good shooters besides Payton, DSJ, Frank and RJ. So basically aside from the players they had last year.

I'm not going one by one, but I'll give them a B overall for not doing anything stupid, prioritizing next offseason, and moves such as turning Ed Davis into three 2nd round picks and turning 27 and 38 in the draft into 25 and 33. I saw it both ways regarding trying to add at least one impactful player during free agency. If they did, it would've been fine within reason, but not doing it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does others. Tanking this year has the potential to do so much more for this team and this is as close as the Knicks have gotten to a full on tank before the season even starts.

For signing vet minimum to slightly above vet minimum players who aren't guaranteed to take anything away from the younger players and instead compliments them, who would you guys have preferred? There's a lot on here about not going harder after players who could've had a more immediate impact and stuck long term, but nothing about how they could've put themselves in better position to tank besides not signing Payton.

My opinion of this offseason is that the Knicks essentially did nothing, which a lot of people would've been happy with prior. People are basically just bummed out about Obi and Payton, but not only did the Knicks not even reach the cap floor, they didn't sign a single person that warrants giving playing time automatically to. It's set up so that the young players can step up, but when some of them don't it'll likely be an issue while ignoring the little they have to do to pass some of these players on the depth chart.

On top of that, they got rid of the glut of bigs and now have a bunch of guards and wings that are average to good shooters besides Payton, DSJ, Frank and RJ. So basically aside from the players they had last year.

I'm not going one by one, but I'll give them a B overall for not doing anything stupid, prioritizing next offseason, and moves such as turning Ed Davis into three 2nd round picks and turning 27 and 38 in the draft into 25 and 33. I saw it both ways regarding trying to add at least one impactful player during free agency. If they did, it would've been fine within reason, but not doing it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does others. Tanking this year has the potential to do so much more for this team and this is as close as the Knicks have gotten to a full on tank before the season even starts.

For signing vet minimum to slightly above vet minimum players who aren't guaranteed to take anything away from the younger players and instead compliments them, who would you guys have preferred? There's a lot on here about not going harder after players who could've had a more immediate impact and stuck long term, but nothing about how they could've put themselves in better position to tank besides not signing Payton.
    This tells me the Knicks are really all in on building the team through draft which is a sharp departure from past incompetent regimes. Knicks first round picks aren't going anywhere.Those Dallas picks aren't going anywhere. They are far more valuable than most Knick fans realize. Kudos to the new Knicks and I can't wait for a return to relevancy in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett2010 View Post
    This tells me the Knicks are really all in on building the team through draft which is a sharp departure from past incompetent regimes. Those Dallas picks aren't going anywhere. They are far more valuable than most Knick fans realize. Kudos to the new Knicks and I can't wait for a return to relevancy in 2021.
    Which is what a lot of people have asked for, for years. They are setup to accomplish just that in potentially the strongest draft throughout this entire time of endless lottery finishes.

The last time there was a draft this strong, the Knicks had KP, Jack, Hardaway, Beasley, Lee and Kanter leading the team to wins which positioned them 9th for Kevin Knox. This roster is drastically different in terms of overall makeup. I'm not really worried about Burks, who played a big role on the worst team in the league last year, Rivers who will probably hurt the Knicks given a bigger role, and a defensive C like Noel. I guess Payton is the Hardaway of this group, but even that 2017-18 group was one of the worst two teams in the league once KP went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett2010 View Post
    This tells me the Knicks are really all in on building the team through draft which is a sharp departure from past incompetent regimes. Knicks first round picks aren't going anywhere.Those Dallas picks aren't going anywhere. They are far more valuable than most Knick fans realize. Kudos to the new Knicks and I can't wait for a return to relevancy in 2021.
    That's what makes this season so exciting. Is it possible we strike out again in the draft and FA? Of course. But all it takes is 1 player and it changes everything. Maybe it's Cade Cunningham. Maybe it's Jalen Suggs. Maybe we finally make a big FA signing or two with our $60-$70 million in cap space next season.

At least we have a future and aren't stuck in cap hell. It wasn't long ago that we were maxed out, paying the most in luxury tax, had the 2nd worst record in the NBA, and didn't even have our 1st round pick.

Kristaps Porzingis

man i hope you're right.

Was it a bad move for the Grizzlies to draft Jaren Jackson over Trae Young or for the Hawks to draft John Collins while needing a PG?

Was it a bad move for the Grizzlies to draft Jaren Jackson over Trae Young or for the Hawks to draft John Collins while needing a PG?
    I'll take Trae over JJ for sure. It worked out for MEM b/c JJ is a stud and they got Morant the following year by jumping up in the lotto.

ATL picked Collins later in the draft and there weren't really any good PG prospects left.

You can look at that draft many ways.

Imagine if PHO or SAC had taken Doncic or Trae instead of Ayton & Bagley? Both those teams fortunes could have looked MUCH better.

I'll take Trae over JJ for sure. It worked out for MEM b/c JJ is a stud and they got Morant the following year by jumping up in the lotto.

ATL picked Collins later in the draft and there weren't really any good PG prospects left.

You can look at that draft many ways.

Imagine if PHO or SAC had taken Doncic or Trae instead of Ayton & Bagley? Both those teams fortunes could have looked MUCH better.
    I agree with that, but Memphis stuck to their guns and took who they thought was BPA and it ended up working out.

I'm not even a little worried that any of the PGs the Knicks passed on will end up like Doncic or Trae. I do think that at least a couple will be good, but I don't think it will be to that extent. Phoenix and Sacramento passed on those players in the top 5 in a strong draft. The Knicks passed on players who were late lottery-end of first round in a perceived weak draft. There's a big difference.

Which is what a lot of people have asked for, for years. They are setup to accomplish just that in potentially the strongest draft throughout this entire time of endless lottery finishes.

The last time there was a draft this strong, the Knicks had KP, Jack, Hardaway, Beasley, Lee and Kanter leading the team to wins which positioned them 9th for Kevin Knox. This roster is drastically different in terms of overall makeup. I'm not really worried about Burks, who played a big role on the worst team in the league last year, Rivers who will probably hurt the Knicks given a bigger role, and a defensive C like Noel. I guess Payton is the Hardaway of this group, but even that 2017-18 group was one of the worst two teams in the league once KP went down.
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    That's what makes this season so exciting. Is it possible we strike out again in the draft and FA? Of course. But all it takes is 1 player and it changes everything. Maybe it's Cade Cunningham. Maybe it's Jalen Suggs. Maybe we finally make a big FA signing or two with our $60-$70 million in cap space next season.

At least we have a future and aren't stuck in cap hell. It wasn't long ago that we were maxed out, paying the most in luxury tax, had the 2nd worst record in the NBA, and didn't even have our 1st round pick.
    100% agree. I can't say what will happen next year in FA, but I feel strongly that we will do well in the draft. As you said one player changes everything. What if we get two players and not just one who we can build around? Hopefully RJ takes a step forward this year and Toppin is the real deal. For the first time in a long time we are in great shape.

About 80% of us are saying "C+" or better. Not bad.

Kristaps Porzingis

If we didn't Elfrid Payton I can only imagine how much better the grades would be.

Kristaps Porzingis

I find myself being more excited about Quickley than Obi. Quickley is undersized but his wingspan more than makes up for it. So he's actually got good size for a SG.

His floaters and ability to get to the FT line remind me of Lou Williams. But he's got better size, is a better defender and a better shooter overall. Not everyone pans out like Lou obviously, but there is good potential there. Hoping he's another Booker type that got drafted much lower then he should have.

The Knox/Mitch draft ended up being that the #36 pick was better than #9. could it happen again this year?
    Everything I see about him on paper I love. Iím hesitant to get excited bc of his size, arhletism, and where he was drafted but Iím definitely optimistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Everything I see about him on paper I love. Iím hesitant to get excited bc of his size, arhletism, and where he was drafted but Iím definitely optimistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    he's got a 6'8 wingspan, I mean you play D with your hands not your hair, so he should be able to guard SG's and get his shot off like a SG. He has a very quick release too.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Already added Powell, Spellman, and MKB who weren't on the list. I like your style.

It's going to be a very competitive training camp. Is it still 15 guaranteed spots right? I don't think any of these are up for debate:

obi, rj, mitch, randle, frank, knox, burks, rivers, noel, payton, dsjr, bullock, quickley

That's already 13.

Who gets the last 2 spots?
    Iggy Brazdeikis, Myles Powell, Omari Spellman, MKG, Theo Pinson, Jacob Evans, Jared Harper

I guess since you love Powell and Spellman that you are cutting Iggy?
    I like Iggy, but I don't know his contract situation. I don't think he is one of the 2 way players (although he should be over Pinson) but I think he could win a spot over Bullock because he can shoot and get to the rim, his defense will determine whether he mKes the cut.

Otherwise, yes I feel like Powell and Spellman will round off the roster.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567