• C

2 10.53%
  • D

1 5.26%
  • F

1 5.26%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    There are a lot of options beyond the top players. I know that itís frustrating to have to wait another year before they do anything, but taking into account the bigger picture, this can prove to be very smart on their part.

After next summer, thereís no excuse though.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...1?platform=amp

Also the difference between next year and past years when theyíve tried this is that itís not all about the number one pick and itís not all about just the 2 or 3 best free agents. They can drop to 5 or 6 in the draft and still be fine and depending on who they draft and the development of RJ, Mitch and Obi, tier 2 and 3 free agents will be fine.
    I know thereís a lot. But who specifically. A lot of older, expensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    I know thereís a lot. But who specifically. A lot of older, expensive players.
    Iím purposely eliminating any player that has been an All Star at least once, but Oubre, Barton, Otto Porter Jr., Winslow, Josh Richardson, Dinwiddie, Lou Williams, Jrue Holiday, Fournier, Norman Powell...

Are the Heat going to pay Duncan Robinson, the Pelicans going to pay Lonzo, Magic going to pay Jonathan Isaac, Spurs going to pay Derrick White?

Some of these guys are older but I donít think it will matter anymore just like it didnít matter for the Hawks this year.

Iím purposely eliminating any player that has been an All Star at least once, but Oubre, Barton, Otto Porter Jr., Winslow, Josh Richardson, Dinwiddie, Lou Williams, Jrue Holiday, Fournier, Norman Powell...

Are the Heat going to pay Duncan Robinson, the Pelicans going to pay Lonzo, Magic going to pay Jonathan Isaac, Spurs going to pay Derrick White?

Some of these guys are older but I donít think it will matter anymore just like it didnít matter for the Hawks this year.
    I like some of those names. Some restricted guys which bring the same issues as usual. Also, letís assume we arenít looking to pay big money to forwards

Not making me feel good about non-pursuit of guys that fill massive holes we could have had for reasonable contracts right now
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 11-27-2020 at 07:17 PM.

I like some of those names. Some restricted guys which bring the same issues as usual. Also, letís assume we arenít looking to pay big money to forwards

Not making me feel good about non-pursuit of guys that fill massive holes we could have had for reasonable contracts right now
    I donít think it was a non-pusuit. They just werenít willing to give up as much.

Also, whatís the difference with some of those guys being restricted and what they were looking at this year? Two of the players youíre upset about them not getting were restricted also.

I donít think it was a non-pusuit. They just werenít willing to give up as much.

Also, whatís the difference with some of those guys being restricted and what they were looking at this year? Two of the players youíre upset about them not getting were restricted also.
    Could have been had, their own teams werenít looking to match. Teams will have cap next year.

Itís all about the situation/timing

Out of those names, only ones I like, and I see realistically coming, are Barton or Fournier
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 11-27-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Could have been had, their own teams werenít looking to match. Teams will have cap next year.

Itís all about the situation/timing

Out of those names, only ones I like, and I see realistically coming, are Barton or Fournier
    I think the Pelicans, Heat, and Magic are going to be in the same position as the Kings with Bogdanovic. I wouldnít be surprised if Ball, Robinson and Isaac ended up on new teams.

I think Pelicans were hoping for a Lonzo sign and trade, but teams aren't as interested as they hoped.

People can say what they want that he only played bad for a handful of games, but he looked like lakers lonzo in the bubble and no one wants to hand over a contract for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    I think Pelicans were hoping for a Lonzo sign and trade, but teams aren't as interested as they hoped.

People can say what they want that he only played bad for a handful of games, but he looked like lakers lonzo in the bubble and no one wants to hand over a contract for that.
    Obviously this will be a big year and no I donít think they were trying to get rid of him. If anything they made him the guy with the Holiday trade.

If he has a season similar to last (minus the bubble), teams will be all over him. Because they just gave a max contract to Ingram and just their overall cap situation, they will have a tough choice similar to the Kings with Bogdanovic. Neither player is good enough to make them contenders, but both deserving of a decent raise that will limit the teamís flexibility to build and ceiling.

Obviously this will be a big year and no I donít think they were trying to get rid of him. If anything they made him the guy with the Holiday trade.

If he has a season similar to last (minus the bubble), teams will be all over him. Because they just gave a max contract to Ingram and just their overall cap situation, they will have a tough choice similar to the Kings with Bogdanovic. Neither player is good enough to make them contenders, but both deserving of a decent raise that will limit the teamís flexibility to build and ceiling.
    Looking at their cap, they can easily afford him if they want to

Who do you really want from next years FA? Honestly, I donít see many players that make sense for us. And there will be a lot more teams with money. Iím really not seeing many guys that Iíd target. Or that would be realistic gets for us. And we still pretty much need guards.
    Thank you Smood for your far more thoughtful and detailed answers than I can give...but to repeat something he says in one post "it's about timing." That's my point. Hayward, FVV, Christian Woods besides whatever questions there may be about their value of contract (of all of them I would have liked FVV but he wasn't coming) it is not the time for them to come and make us anything more than average. Whereas if we develop the young group with a good coach and organization and maintain the flexibility there is a far better chance of getting players to push it to the next level next year. Or make better deals later this season.

I do see Giannis and Kahwi are unrestricted -- not sure if maxing them would be a good idea but I'd prefer it over Hayward's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Seats View Post
    Thank you Smood for your far more thoughtful and detailed answers than I can give...but to repeat something he says in one post "it's about timing." That's my point. Hayward, FVV, Christian Woods besides whatever questions there may be about their value of contract (of all of them I would have liked FVV but he wasn't coming) it is not the time for them to come and make us anything more than average. Whereas if we develop the young group with a good coach and organization and maintain the flexibility there is a far better chance of getting players to push it to the next level next year. Or make better deals later this season.

I do see Giannis and Kahwi are unrestricted -- not sure if maxing them would be a good idea but I'd prefer it over Hayward's contract.
    Thatís all fine to say, and itís not wrong. Personally, though, I was referring to specifically Bogs and Beasley. Those guys made all the sense in the world for this team. The whole ďbuild what we haveĒ stuff is cool, but we are still way behind in talent. And still have a joke of a backcourt. Continuing to suck, and draft, and hope we get lucky in FA are no guarantees. Iíd have liked to fill a hole, and not ruin future flexibility, right now. I donít think thereís any one right way to do it. Signing good players to reasonable deals isnít a bad thing.

Unless you believe that Kawhi/Giannis situation has a possibility of happening. I donít, and I wouldnít make any moves with that in mind

I also donít really see many guys we would need that would really push us where we need to go next offseason. And what will they cost?

If they were convinced he was the guy I don't think they go after Kira. Trading Holiday was easy decision for that kind of haul.

If they loved Lonzo so much where is the extension?

I don't for a second see how you can compare him to bogs, teams want bogs, and made it known, I don't see anything about Lonzo.
    Last edited by TakeAnotherL; 11-27-2020 at 11:10 PM.

If they were convinced he was the guy I don't think they go after Kira. Trading Holiday was easy decision for that kind of haul.

If they loved Lonzo so much where is the extension?
    Typically the only guys that get extensions early going into RFA are max star types. Lonzo isnít a max guy obviously. But that doesnít mean they donít want him

Typically the only guys that get extensions early going into RFA are max star types. Lonzo isnít a max guy obviously. But that doesnít mean they donít want him
    If they were convinced in him they would at least try to extend him, being a young team and all, they have more than enough cap to do it. If they thought he was a part of their core they would do it.

If they were convinced in him they would at least try to extend him, being a young team and all, they have more than enough cap to do it. If they thought he was a part of their core they would do it.
    They really donít have to though. Heís kind of a guy that will get paid, but how much. They donít need to do anything, they have enough cap to match offers when the time comes. Who knows though, maybe Kira looks good, and they let him walk. But thereís really no pressure on them. Should they pay him ďjust becauseĒ?

Usually teams only try that if they are scared they canít afford a player, and try to get him cheap. Or heís a star, and they want to get it over with. Heís not a star, but a good player. Hell get what the market says. This year will be big for him, see if he takes a step forward or not

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast