Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    How ****ing lame
    That's an Alderson ego thing imo. Just bring in an experienced GM with previous success. I find it hard to believe prospective executives wouldn't want this job. Its arguably the best open GM position in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That's an Alderson ego thing imo. Just bring in an experienced GM with previous success. I find it hard to believe prospective executives wouldn't want this job. Its arguably the best open GM position in baseball.
    Anybody you can think of who fits that bill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Chris Young might turn out to be a great future GM and Iíll give him the benefit of the doubt as I did Brody, but how lame is it that after all this talk about a super FO we get a guy that has never been a GM along with 2 ****ing retreads that were here a few years ago?

Thatís like being excited for Christmas and getting a ****ing pair of socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Anybody you can think of who fits that bill?

David Stearns, David Forst, Jon Daniels are a handful of guys who come to mind. I understand they are under contract with other teams but I can't see the Mets having no access to any of these guys. Even if you wanted to go the assistant GM or director of player personnel route, there are guys like Billy Owens, Jared Porter, Dan Jennings, Logan White, Matt Arnold, Amiel Sawdaye, etc.

If they are going to hire Chris Young, how is it any different than the Wilpons hiring Brodie? Its basically someone learning on the job.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-27-2020 at 08:00 PM.

David Stearns, David Forst, Jon Daniels are a handful of guys who come to mind. I understand they are under contract with other teams but I can't see the Mets having no access to any of these guys. Even if you wanted to go the assistant GM or director of player personnel route, there are guys like Billy Owens, Jared Porter, Dan Jennings, Logan White, Matt Arnold, Amiel Sawdaye, etc.

If they are going to hire Chris Young, how is it any different than the Wilpons hiring Brodie? Its basically someone learning on the job.
    Well has played the game. And Anderson would be in the FO.

And has a degree from the best university in the country according to US News.

But as Steve Cohen said they arenít getting permission to interview other teams candidates.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Well has played the game. And Anderson would be in the FO.

And has a degree from the best university in the country according to US News.

But as Steve Cohen said they arenít getting permission to interview other teams candidates.
    Playing experience means nothing. Michael Jordan is the best basketball player of all time and arguably the worst owner in the NBA. I mean it's still the same concept. Brodie had guys like Minaya and Baird around him who were GMs and assistant GMs in previous places. The Mets would be hiring someone who has no player personnel experience.

I have a hard time believing a lot of those same guys are interviewing for other vacant GM positions but not the Mets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-27-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Hereís the difference between this and Brodie.

With Brodie the hierarchy structure was Fred, then Jeff and then inexperienced Brodie.

Now itís Steve Cohen, then Sandy Anderson, and then fill in the blank:

Does anyone seriously feel worried about this?

I donít.

Don't worry. He's got this.

I mean it's a Pandora's box the anti Brodie crowd opened up. Young has as much personnel experience as Brodie did but that's an acceptable hire? A little inconsistent dont you think? Look, if the Mets have an opportunity at hiring an experienced personnel guy, that should be your first choice. If learning on the job wasn't okay the last time, why is it this time?

If thats the choice, I will keep an open mind but its hypocritical at best.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-27-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I wonder who.

Bobby Heck and Tommy Tanous are definitely two people.

Most of those considered for this position are people.

I think it also has to do with owners being skeptical of Cohen and Sandy being the respectable voice of reason who doesnít want to get on anybodyís bad side by undermining teams.

Forst and Stearns have already been eliminated but Jon Daniels is a good one, Shehraz Rehman - the Rangers assistant GM is another good guy. Arnold was just promoted so I doubt he goes anywhere, same with Owens if Iím not mistaken.

Jennings and White I donít know anything about. Sawdaye is a name Iíve seen floating around, as is the case with Porter.

Iím also not crazy about a Chris Young hire but weíll see how this plays out. I personally think we should have a person who has a good background in scouting/player development and is also in tune to analytics/future value projections...or at least listens to their team of analysts.

Cohen has a big wallet so one can do anything with that but the little details, such as the depth signings, international signings, a players progression through the minors, minor trades, etc are the ones that really build a playoff roster. Finding those hidden gem type of relief pitchers and whatnot.

I wasnít a big fan of the Brodie signing at first but I didnít really care about him learning on the job if he had a good team surrounding him. I think somebody learning on the job would be fine if that person had somebody above them (Sandy) keeping them in check from making another Kelenic trade...that does however, reflect to your point of Sandy really pulling the strings.

I have a feeling that a GM will be named next week but weíll see.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

I think we should consider Omar Minaya and Brodie Van Waganen. Both have GM experience

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I think we should consider Omar Minaya and Brodie Van Waganen. Both have GM experience
    Not Steve Phillips?

Brodie was an agent, not a baseball man. Chris Young IS a baseball man, just like Brad Pitt er Billy Beane was. But Beane went down to the minors and learned about scouting first before jumping in to the front office. It would be nice to see Young get some similar training first before assuming a boss' role.

But I digress. I still believe a former ballplayer slash academic is infinitely more qualified to run a ball club than a fast talking salesman.

We should have kept Brodie.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    We should have kept Brodie.
    Nah

But these options are as bland as white bread.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast