Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giannis Extension Countdown

There are 10 calendar days remaining between now and the deadline to extend.

https://allucanheat.com/2020/12/10/m...omments/amp/2/

If he doesnít sign the*super-max deal before the deadline of December 21st, then any deal would just be a maximum extension. Thatís still a lot of money but just doesnít make sense.

Itís a simple matter of zeros. If he were going to stay in Milwaukee for a while more, then he would definitely sign the deal thatís set to pay him significantly more money.

If he doesnít sign that deal with the Bucks before the deadline, they have to assume that heís gone. Thatís the safest way to operate from that point on.
    If this reporting is valid, they're saying he can't sign a super max with Milwaukee past December 21st even if he ends wanting to stay with Milwaukee later. Would he give up money just to turn around and re-sign anyway?

Maybe Woj drops a bomb and he resigns in the next 30 minutes and makes all this go away. In the meantime it's interesting for discussion.

What did you think will happen?

BTW, as far as the reporting itself I believe it to be false. I think if he opts in, he can still sign the supermax, but I posted it for verification.

They're just saying if he doesn't sign the max extension on or before December 21st, he will not be able to sign it between December 22nd and the day prior to the 2021 NBA FA starting.

The first day of 2021 FA he can agree to that same extension, the huge caveat with that is he can also hit the open market and negotiate contracts with any of the other 29 NBA teams on that day.

Pretty risky if he enters this season without ink to paper. Them giving up all those 1st rounders for Jrue will hurt if Giannis walks for nothing in 2021 FA.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    They're just saying if he doesn't sign the max extension on or before December 21st, he will not be able to sign it between December 22nd and the day prior to the 2021 NBA FA starting.

The first day of 2021 FA he can agree to that same extension, the huge caveat with that is he can also hit the open market and negotiate contracts with any of the other 29 NBA teams on that day.

Pretty risky if he enters this season without ink to paper. Them giving up all those 1st rounders for Jrue will hurt if Giannis walks for nothing in 2021 FA.
    But I don't think he can sign a supermax unless he opts in, correct?

Is it valid to say: Giannis cannot opt out, become an UFA and still sign a supermax, only a regular max.

Giannis is re signing

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    But I don't think he can sign a supermax unless he opts in, correct?

Is it valid to say: Giannis cannot opt out, become an UFA and still sign a supermax, only a regular max.
    No that's invalid. Giannis 100% can turn down his player option and still sign the super max.

The qualifiers are:

Have 8 years of service with the team that drafted the player. [Once this season starts he has that box checked].

Then, a player must meet one of the following three criteria.

Be named to an All-NBA team in the most recent season or both seasons before it

OR, be named NBA Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season or*both seasons before it

OR, be named NBA MVP in any of the three previous seasons

[Him being the MVP the past 2 seasons, checks that last bullet].

No that's invalid. Giannis 100% can turn down his player option and still sign the super max.

The qualifiers are:

Have 8 years of service with the team that drafted the player. [Once this season starts he has that box checked].

Then, a player must meet one of the following three criteria.

Be named to an All-NBA team in the most recent season or both seasons before it

OR, be named NBA Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season or*both seasons before it

OR, be named NBA MVP in any of the three previous seasons

[Him being the MVP the past 2 seasons, checks that last bullet].
    I figured the reporting was kinda misleading. Thanks.

Thatís a lot of potential security to risk. I think heíll sign an extension. Maybe like a 1+1 or something to give him flexibility if the Bucks stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Giannis is re signing
    Source ?

Quote Originally Posted by PAOboston View Post
    Thatís a lot of potential security to risk. I think heíll sign an extension. Maybe like a 1+1 or something to give him flexibility if the Bucks stink.

Can you sign a 1+1 on a super max?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Can you sign a 1+1 on a super max?

Nope

Nope
    I didnít think so. I donít see any reason for Giannis to sign an extension before the deadline. Wait to see how the Bucks season goes. He will still be able to sign the super max next off season if he wants to stay in Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I didnít think so. I donít see any reason for Giannis to sign an extension before the deadline. Wait to see how the Bucks season goes. He will still be able to sign the super max next off season if he wants to stay in Milwaukee.

I agree.

If Durant can get a max with a torn achilles, Giannis can get a super max regardless of what injury may happen. He has no incentive to extend now.

done deal.... was never in doubt. No dude is walking away from 252

if i am the rockets though and harden is really refusing and giannis wants to leave... giannis for harden... isnt houston state tax free or whatever? that goes along way when you getting 250 mill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast