Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 187
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,753
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Also learned that lockdowns don't work. So what's your suggestion?
    As far as stopping the spread of a pandemic, lockdowns work. That's why countries do them. It only makes sense that if no one is allowed to gather or open businesses, and ppl are strongly urged to stay home, a virus would be drastically mitigated.

    Italy flattened their curve with lockdowns, so did many other places. India initially had a lockdown that basically put a stop to corona till the start of June. When they lifted it, that's when their explosion of cases started. They are the best example.
    Last edited by Webslinger; 11-23-2020 at 12:52 AM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    95,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    As far as stopping the spread of a pandemic, lockdowns work. That's why countries do them. It only makes sense that if no one is allowed to gather or open businesses the spread, and that ppl are strongly urged to stay home, a virus would be drastically mitigated.

    Italy flattened their curve with lockdowns, so did many other places. India initially had a lockdown that basically put a stop to corona till the start of June. When they lifted it, that's when their explosion of cases started. They are the best example.
    Lockdowns work when countries commit to them. But the US committed to them like this guy is a good security guard.


  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    We have learned that herd immunity does not ****ing work.
    We haven't come close to meeting the standards for herd immunity have we?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    50,828
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    We did? Cause I remember lockdowns leading to less cases.
    You can actually look at any data map of the US (cases, death rates, etc) and find all the worse areas are where the governors took less action.

    Another reason why Trump completely failed on the pandemic the minute he left it to states to decide instead of enacting existing federal protocols and letting the CDC lead.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36,312
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Another reason why Trump completely failed on the pandemic the minute he left it to states to decide instead of enacting existing federal protocols and letting the CDC lead.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    100% true.

    I can't understand why didnt he just select experts to head the response. He doesn't know **** about viruses, and that's ok hes a businessman not a doctor l, but I'm just not understanding how at no point in time did he ever have actual experts running the response.

    It's just so frustrating because between our academic system fully understanding how to respond to pandemics, and china giving us the cheat sheet on how to respond to this specific pandemic, we should be at one tenth the damage sustained, both lives and economy.

    It's insane to think this guy was actively pushing an anti mask agenda. He wrecked his own economy and doesn't even comprehend that fact.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,576
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Being 100% covid free isnt a good measure to say something works or not.

    If that's the case, NO medicine works. NO medicine is 100% effectiveness/efficacy. Yet we don't say no medicine is effective, we accept them for what they accomplish.

    The curves PROVE beyond any shadow of a doubt the lockdowns had a SIGNIFICANT effect on flattening the curve.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    And your point is precisely what? Sweden was doing just fine all summer. Their surge only started recently. They never locked down at all. Why did the surge wait until now to hit?
    As to the statement "no medication works", you are incorrect. No medication works every time. Remdesivir works for some people. Hydroxychloroquine works for some people (the Detroit study which was peer reviewed shows that). Dextromethasone works for some. They all have different mechanisms of action against the virus. All are proper in some cases, not in others.
    The reason we are Covid free is because we have all done our jobs properly. We follow isolation procedures and are careful not to bring the virus in. We limit our exposures, although I really can't do that as an EMT. If I am called to a Covid case, all I can do is use my PPE properly (which I always do) and be very careful what I do pre and post call. Sanitation is the key in EMS. We need to be sure the rig is clean and ready for the next call.
    Last edited by catman; 11-22-2020 at 10:48 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    28,817
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    And your point is precisely what? Sweden was doing just fine all summer. Their surge only started recently. They never locked down at all. Why did the surge wait until now to hit?
    As to the statement "no medication works", you are incorrect. No medication works every time. Remdesivir works for some people. Hydroxychloroquine works for some people (the Detroit study which was peer reviewed shows that). Dextromethasone works for some. They all have different mechanisms of action against the virus. All are proper in some cases, not in others.
    The reason we are Covid free is because we have all done our jobs properly. We follow isolation procedures and are careful not to bring the virus in. We limit our exposures, although I really can't do that as an EMT. If I am called to a Covid case, all I can do is use my PPE properly (which I always do) and be very careful what I do pre and post call. Sanitation is the key in EMS. We need to be sure the rig is clean and ready for the next call.
    Sweden was never doing fine.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,576
    Look at the case-rate in Europe. Sweden was always among the lowest in the area. They were doing just fine.
    Currently, Sweden has fewer cumulative cases than Nepal with just over 208 K total cases.
    Here are the stats from Johns Hopkins:
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
    Last edited by catman; 11-22-2020 at 10:59 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,576
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    You can actually look at any data map of the US (cases, death rates, etc) and find all the worse areas are where the governors took less action.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like New York, New Jersey and Delaware?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    28,817
    As of Oct. 13, Sweden’s per capita death rate was 58.4 per 100,000 people, according to Johns Hopkins University data, 12th highest in the world

    Sweden and the U.S. essentially make up a category of two: they are the only countries with high overall mortality rates that failed to rapidly reduce those numbers as the pandemic progressed

    Sweden botched it.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    28,817
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Like New York, New Jersey and Delaware?
    Can't look at the data to determine who handled it better. If a governor did more, they did better, regardless of the numbers. The ones that refused to put restrictions in place are the ones that ****ed up.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    55,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    We haven't come close to meeting the standards for herd immunity have we?
    Hell no (and for good reason).

  13. #43
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    55,489
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    100% true.

    I can't understand why didnt he just select experts to head the response. He doesn't know **** about viruses, and that's ok hes a businessman not a doctor l, but I'm just not understanding how at no point in time did he ever have actual experts running the response.

    It's just so frustrating because between our academic system fully understanding how to respond to pandemics, and china giving us the cheat sheet on how to respond to this specific pandemic, we should be at one tenth the damage sustained, both lives and economy.

    It's insane to think this guy was actively pushing an anti mask agenda. He wrecked his own economy and doesn't even comprehend that fact.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ....but FrEeDoM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    50,828
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Like New York, New Jersey and Delaware?





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    13,036
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    That there is no mitigation to this virus without a vaccine, regardless of the measures.
    That at first it was just the flu, to just do minimal mitigations like Sweden and hope for herd immunity, to well there’s nothing we can do with no vaccines so who cares about mitigation. Smh. Disappointed broncs.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •