Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Wood to Rockets

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    So this new regime value picks more than offloading negative value contracts yet they traded their 16th pick for a heavily protected future one just to avoid adding more salary to their payroll lol. Morey was able to add a low pick to offload Horford who has an even worse contract and contributed much less than Gordon to free up much more salary then the Rockets approach [emoji1751]

Rockets is now the worst run organization in the league and it starts with the owner [emoji58]

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    They would not have been able to sign Christian Wood if they didnít offload Covingtonís salary. Covington was too valuable a piece to just dump though so they traded him for 2 1sts and Arizas filler salary. But then Houston still needed to clear Arizas salary for room under the hard cap to sign Wood.

The problem for Houston with Ariza trade is they needed to dump all of the salary. Anytime youíre trading a player into another team cap space or TPE without taking anything back the cost is multiplied because so few teams are able to facilitate that. Itís supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    They would not have been able to sign Christian Wood if they didnít offload Covingtonís salary. Covington was too valuable a piece to just dump though so they traded him for 2 1sts and Arizas filler salary. But then Houston still needed to clear Arizas salary for room under the hard cap to sign Wood.

The problem for Houston with Ariza trade is they needed to dump all of the salary. Anytime youíre trading a player into another team cap space or TPE without taking anything back the cost is multiplied because so few teams are able to facilitate that. Itís supply and demand.
    Hopefully it'll keep Harden and Westy content enough to stay.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cattusmaru; 11-29-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Dark horse to win Most Improved

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Dark horse to win Most Improved
    The way Rockets fans are hyping him up (I get why they have to), hes no dark horse. They are hoping hes a shoe-in, God knows they need that small sample size on a bad team to be relevant. If he packs on some muscle he should be better defensively and he seems like a student of the game so there is plenty of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    The way Rockets fans are hyping him up (I get why they have to), hes no dark horse. They are hoping hes a shoe-in, God knows they need that small sample size on a bad team to be relevant. If he packs on some muscle he should be better defensively and he seems like a student of the game so there is plenty of hope.
    I don't see a ton of hyping on our end really. I don't think Wood is going to be cracking any All-NBA teams anytime soon or that the 22/10 he put up over that small sample size last year is going to be replicated over a full season. But if you look at Capela's peak seasons in Houston putting up nearly 17/13 with an inferior offensive skillset to Wood, I don't think it's crazy to think Wood could be averaging 18+ a game in Houston playing with Harden and Westbrook.

I worry more about him on the defensive end, but considering the Rockets had no big man, shot blocker or rebounder for half the season and the playoffs last year, I kinda think things will even out a bit even with the loss of RoCo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Milton was drafted 24th. Thybulle was drafted 20th. They're products of good scouting. Based on their performance so far, either one of those guys could easily be better than anything Houston could get from later draft picks.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this, bro. I think Simmons' value is near Harden's, given his seven years of age difference, superior athleticism, being better at everything except scoring and extra 2-3 years on the contract. Just because he hasn't been maximized in Philly doesn't mean he can't run his own team. Don't expect Morey to give up Simmons, Thybulle or Milton and a ton of picks. It just isn't going to happen, especially if the trade happens later rather than sooner.
    Simmons value is not near Hardens. You're mistaking. Harden is a mvp candidate 5 years and running. Houston will get a haul for Harden, you wait and see.

Also youre just proving my point. Your original statement was that Philly's picks wouldn't be that valuable. You just provided an example of two guys picked at 20 and 24 whom you consider great prospects. So yes, the picks are still valuable to us no matter how late in the first round they may fall.

I would take Simmons, Thybulle, Milton and a first rounder. But to do the deal for just Simmons and Thybulle straight up? Thats a pass. I dont even think Morey is going to trade Simmons this year, so this is all a moot point

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    its the only good thing that came out of our offseason lol and even then, losing Roco was tough.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Simmons value is not near Hardens. You're mistaking. Harden is a mvp candidate 5 years and running. Houston will get a haul for Harden, you wait and see.

Also youre just proving my point. Your original statement was that Philly's picks wouldn't be that valuable. You just provided an example of two guys picked at 20 and 24 whom you consider great prospects. So yes, the picks are still valuable to us no matter how late in the first round they may fall.

I would take Simmons, Thybulle, Milton and a first rounder. But to do the deal for just Simmons and Thybulle straight up? Thats a pass. I dont even think Morey is going to trade Simmons this year, so this is all a moot point
    Rockets will be trading Harden for a young Magic in Simmons once he reach his prime with his unlimited potential while Harden has just past his prime years. No sweetner is needed on this deal other than making the salaries work cause Houston will go young and its impossible to get current equal value for Harden than a yound stud like Simmons to build your team around for the next decade as the left handed Magic 🎩

its the only good thing that came out of our offseason lol and even then, losing Roco was tough.
    I'm actually really curious to see what Silas can do as a head coach with this roster. I'm a big MDA fan, personally, but his inability to make changes, unwillingness to play more than 7-8 guys every night and his disinterest in playing traditional bigs could be frustrating at times. Can Silas incorporate more ball movement and get James to play off ball more? Will he stretch the rotation to 9-10 players more consistently to give James, Russ and Tucker more rest?

I hate the way the coaching change played out, but the end result could end up being a positive for the team. It's hard to know, though, until we see them in action.

Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    Rockets will be trading Harden for a young Magic in Simmons once he reach his prime with his unlimited potential while Harden has just past his prime years. No sweetner is needed on this deal other than making the salaries work cause Houston will go young and its impossible to get current equal value for Harden than a yound stud like Simmons to build your team around for the next decade as the left handed Magic 🎩
    I'll believe that when I see it. I dont think Simmons could carry Magics jockstrap.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 11-30-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'm actually really curious to see what Silas can do as a head coach with this roster. I'm a big MDA fan, personally, but his inability to make changes, unwillingness to play more than 7-8 guys every night and his disinterest in playing traditional bigs could be frustrating at times. Can Silas incorporate more ball movement and get James to play off ball more? Will he stretch the rotation to 9-10 players more consistently to give James, Russ and Tucker more rest?

I hate the way the coaching change played out, but the end result could end up being a positive for the team. It's hard to know, though, until we see them in action.
    I wasnt a Dantoni fan. I didnt understand playing Tucker or Roco at the 5. Whatever he did, he did it to the extreame. I never for once thought, this small ball line up is going to work in the playoffs. Can you imagine Roco or Tucker trying to guard Jokic, Nurkic, Anthony Davis? etc etc.. It was destined to fail.

I too, am curious to see what we can do with a more traditional line up. If cousins is healthy, it will be interesting to see how things work with him. I still think we make some serious trades at some point though because Ive read that the players wanting out of Houston (not just Harden) are wanting out more due to Tillman's political connections than anything to do with basketball. I wouldnt be suprised if Roco was one of those players. Harden, RW, Tucker are next I believe.

I'll believe that when I see it.
    Everytime I watch a Sixers game with Simmons on the floor, I seen a young, not prime, Magic on display. Its a sight to behold cause that's entertainment at its best that you cannot buy.

https://youtu.be/nW_rlyJM22Y

If Simmons was in this year draft, every team would have Simmons on top of their draft broad by a mile. You think Minny would still draft Edward? 😂. Simmons would be the top pick in every draft hands down since AD perhaps. Even over a scoring machine like Harden that others can imitate but there is only one that can be compared to Magic. In fact if Stone is smart he should jump on it unless he truely believe the Rockets are still good enough to reach the Finals with Harden. I am serious!

I'll believe that when I see it. I dont think Simmons could carry Magics jockstrap.
    Not now but once that happens, he will be untouchable where the Rockets will be the team offering a boatloads of picks along with Harden on the decline for a prime Simmons in Houston for the next decade of Magic 🎩

https://youtu.be/nW_rlyJM22Y

I wasnt a Dantoni fan. I didnt understand playing Tucker or Roco at the 5. Whatever he did, he did it to the extreame. I never for once thought, this small ball line up is going to work in the playoffs. Can you imagine Roco or Tucker trying to guard Jokic, Nurkic, Anthony Davis? etc etc.. It was destined to fail.

I too, am curious to see what we can do with a more traditional line up. If cousins is healthy, it will be interesting to see how things work with him. I still think we make some serious trades at some point though because Ive read that the players wanting out of Houston (not just Harden) are wanting out more due to Tillman's political connections than anything to do with basketball. I wouldnt be suprised if Roco was one of those players. Harden, RW, Tucker are next I believe.
    The results of the season will ultimately determine the direction of the franchise.

If Wood plays the role they think he'll play, Silas' offensive system works and they get some competent play out of Gordon, Westbrook, Cousins and/or some of the other role players they signed, I think they'll win games and chill out on the trade demands. If Wood struggles to adapt, Westbrook looks like the guy he was in the bubble, Gordon can't hit threes and Cousins can't stay healthy, they'll be screwed and the deals will get done before the trade deadline.

I just don't have a good guess at this point on which outcome is more likely. The Rockets' fan and optimist in me thinks it's the former, because Harden has only ever played for one "bad" team in his career in Houston. But the pessimist part of me (which is pretty prominent) looks at that 15-16 season and sees a lot of similarities to this squad, which makes me think it could go very badly very quickly. Only time will tell at this point...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast