Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood to Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    So HOU as of right now is gonna run it back same as last year pretty much, just swap Covington at PF with PJ at center for a more traditional lineup of Tucker at PF and Wood at Center. I kind of like that honestly.
    Yeah, not too bad. Their owner seems like trash but their complete demise is not yet eminent.

So they are hard capped now?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    So they are hard capped now?
    I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yuck

So HOU as of right now is gonna run it back same as last year pretty much, just swap Covington at PF with PJ at center for a more traditional lineup of Tucker at PF and Wood at Center. I kind of like that honestly.
    It's pretty good. Too bad they couldn't pull it off while keeping Covington, not that I don't relish having him on the Blazers. But I think Wood will be an upgrade over Capela overall, although probably a downgrade when it comes to defending elite bigs.

I like Wood and all but he has a VERY small sample size for a ****** team. Couldn't stick with other teams. Better than some of the deals I've seen so far but be careful with expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    I like Wood and all but he has a VERY small sample size for a ****** team. Couldn't stick with other teams. Better than some of the deals I've seen so far but be careful with expectations.
    Yeah it's high risk high reward. It could work out big time. But if he flops then HOU could struggle to make a playoff run and all their stars could start wanting out.

Oh wait...

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Rafael Stone has done a damn good job in a really short stint as Rockets' GM so far. Dude may have saved the Rockets season and future. The hard cap sucks, but look at Wood's deal compared to some of the month other inferior free agents got, like Bertans, Morris, Harris and Grant. Sure, those guys have more of a sample size, but Wood's upside destroys them, and he's going to fit with Harden offensively like a glove.

The hard cap will be interesting to see how they maneuver. If they can re-sign Green on a veteran deal, they're looking at:

PG Westbrook / Gordon
    SG Harden / McLemore
    SF House / Nwaba
    PF Tucker
    C Wood / Green

That's not bad. It's basically the same roster from last year, but swapping RoCo's defense for Wood's length and offensive versatility. Plus, Nwaba could be a sneaky good addition if he comes back as the guy he was pre-injury. Dude was a legit perimeter defender with athleticism.

And maybe they swing another deal. I wouldn't mind seeing Gordon and/or House traded. Bottom line, though, things are looking a hell of a lot better for the Rockets than they did 24 hours ago. I actually have a sliver of hope again...

Yeah it's high risk high reward. It could work out big time. But if he flops then HOU could struggle to make a playoff run and all their stars could start wanting out.

Oh wait...
    That's why I actually think this is more of a low-risk, high-reward situation. Your chemistry is already supposedly **** and your stars are already publicly asking out. Worst-case scenario, you end up blowing it up mid-season, but at least you have a young, talented big with upside locked in on a reasonable contract two more years. Hell, I wouldn't even mind the Harden deal with Philly still going through at this point. Simmons and Wood would be a good start with a million draft picks from a Harden trade.

Either way, the Wood signing works.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Rafael Stone has done a damn good job in a really short stint as Rockets' GM so far. Dude may have saved the Rockets season and future. The hard cap sucks, but look at Wood's deal compared to some of the month other inferior free agents got, like Bertans, Morris, Harris and Grant. Sure, those guys have more of a sample size, but Wood's upside destroys them, and he's going to fit with Harden offensively like a glove.

The hard cap will be interesting to see how they maneuver. If they can re-sign Green on a veteran deal, they're looking at:

PG Westbrook / Gordon
    SG Harden / McLemore
    SF House / Nwaba
    PF Tucker
    C Wood / Green

That's not bad. It's basically the same roster from last year, but swapping RoCo's defense for Wood's length and offensive versatility. Plus, Nwaba could be a sneaky good addition if he comes back as the guy he was pre-injury. Dude was a legit perimeter defender with athleticism.

And maybe they swing another deal. I wouldn't mind seeing Gordon and/or House traded. Bottom line, though, things are looking a hell of a lot better for the Rockets than they did 24 hours ago. I actually have a sliver of hope again...
    How do you see the harden and westbrook situation playing out? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    How do you see the harden and westbrook situation playing out? Just curious.
    Hard to say. The outcomes are all over the place right now, but I think it depends on how they perform once the season starts. At this point, it feels unlikely that Harden and Westbrook get dealt before the start of the season, and sitting out does their trade value no favors.

If they perform well, I still think there's an outside shot they could reconsider their desire to leave. Maybe they enjoy Silas' new system and Wood becomes a third star in his offense. But I think, even if things go well, there's a chance one or both get traded during the season if the right offers come along.

I'm optimistic, but I'm also confident that at least the Rockets won't deal those two unless deals come along they feel are fair value.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    That's why I actually think this is more of a low-risk, high-reward situation. Your chemistry is already supposedly **** and your stars are already publicly asking out. Worst-case scenario, you end up blowing it up mid-season, but at least you have a young, talented big with upside locked in on a reasonable contract two more years. Hell, I wouldn't even mind the Harden deal with Philly still going through at this point. Simmons and Wood would be a good start with a million draft picks from a Harden trade.

Either way, the Wood signing works.
    Houston wouldn't get a million draft picks along with Simmons. That's almost a fair swap straight-up, considering Harden's age, his shorter contract, his wanting out of Houston, that Simmons is better than Harden at almost everything besides scoring, and that Houston is dealing with a superior GM in Morey. If Houston's able to get Milton and Simmons for Harden, they should take that deal and feel lucky.
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 11-21-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Houston wouldn't get a million draft picks along with Simmons. That's almost a fair swap straight-up, considering Harden's age, his shorter contract, his wanting out of Houston, that Simmons is better than Harden at almost everything besides scoring, and that Houston is dealing with a superior GM in Morey. If Houston's able to get Milton and Simmons for Harden, they should take that deal and feel lucky.
    I'm sorry, but this take is borderline insane. Simmons is a borderline top 25 guy at best. Harden is a top 5 guy, a perennial MVP candidate and a guaranteed top 10 offense all by himself. The gap between the two plays is gargantuan. If you think Simmons by himself is enough, it's probably a good thing you're not working in an NBA front office.

Simmons is also much younger than Harden which changes the compensation some.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Simmons is also much younger than Harden which changes the compensation some.
    Some. But the talent gap between them warrants some significant additional compensation, especially considering most of Philly's firsts will be mid-to-late rounders. I'm thinking 2-3 firsts, 1-2 pick swaps and Thybulle. And Houston may still turn that down.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast