Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Fox to the MAX

Fox to the MAX

Big money!

Great news for both sides. Fox gets the cash and the Kings lock up their franchise player. He needs to improve from 3 to reach superstardom, but it's a worthwhile gamble.

who was better last year? tobias harris or fox?

its a great deal because he is young and its an expected deal because thats what you need to do period in todaysnba
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 11-20-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Kings had to this. I feel like we've seen this movie before. Team has a reaaaaaly good but not great player. They have to pay the max to keep him. That makes it hard to build a good team. Player eventually gets unhappy and wants a trade to be someone else's #2/#3.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Kings had no choice honestly.

The finacials of the NBA is so ****ing stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    The finacials of the NBA is so ****ing stupid.
    yup... there is no middle ground.

Can someone break down NBA front office logic to me? Why did they have to sign him now?

Is it that Fox would play the season upset if he didn't get his extension?

If I were a GM, I'd literally never ever sign a 1st round player to an extension. I'd always wait for him to become a restricted free agent.

Reasons:
    1) I get to see 4 seasons body of work over 3
    2) In case the player has a career altering injury during his 4th year, I dodge a bullet
    3) Poison-pill contracts are very tricky to trade in case something unbelievable becomes available
    4) I think it's more motivational than an early reward

BTW, what I said applies to max extensions.... I'd only sign an extension if it was less than max and I thought I was getting an early discount before the player breaks out.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Can someone break down NBA front office logic to me? Why did they have to sign him now?

Is it that Fox would play the season upset if he didn't get his extension?

If I were a GM, I'd literally never ever sign a 1st round player to an extension. I'd always wait for him to become a restricted free agent.

Reasons:
    1) I get to see 4 seasons body of work over 3
    2) In case the player has a career altering injury during his 4th year, I dodge a bullet
    3) Poison-pill contracts are very tricky to trade in case something unbelievable becomes available
    4) I think it's more motivational than an early reward
    Supposedly that was part of the reason Hayward left Utah is because he wasnít extended early. Honestly I didnít think he deserved the contract he got when we matched Charlottes offer. I mean I canít imagine paying Fox that kind of money. The NBA is absurd. Everybody gets a max these days.

Rippin' lips son!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Supposedly that was part of the reason Hayward left Utah is because he wasnít extended early. Honestly I didnít think he deserved the contract he got when we matched Charlottes offer. I mean I canít imagine paying Fox that kind of money. The NBA is absurd. Everybody gets a max these days.
    This is part of my stupidity of the economics of the NBA.

#1 - It makes no sense for at team to ever extend anyone early, especially a rookie contract. Typically their cap hold ends up at more $11-12million compared to the $30 mil they will get. So if you are a team (like Miami this year) that has max cap space with that hold into an offseason, why should they extend a players.

#2 - Too many players get max deals where it doesn't make sense to keep max deals and it clogs the league with overpaid contracts.

#3 - Players being pissed about not getting the extension early is stupid. Players not getting point #1 is stupid. Basically NBA players are stupid. With a right move or two the Kings could have had Fox at a $9.5mil cap hold next offseason with a good amount of cap space. But I bet the threatened to want a trade if they didn't extend him, and now they have to wait out other rookie wage contracts and hope a Bogdan trade brings back some worthwhile assets.

#4 - Teams themselves can't help but do stupid stuff. Players get max offers all the time, and because they are RFA's, even if they aren't worth it, the original team will match because they can't afford to lost them. Basically teams use the Max offer sheet as a handicap for other teams. If they got rid of the max and/or tied draft compensation to signing away a max player, we would see the economics of the NBA improve dramatically.

Kings had no choice pretty much. Happy for the kid

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    This is part of my stupidity of the economics of the NBA.

#1 - It makes no sense for at team to ever extend anyone early, especially a rookie contract. Typically their cap hold ends up at more $11-12million compared to the $30 mil they will get. So if you are a team (like Miami this year) that has max cap space with that hold into an offseason, why should they extend a players.

#2 - Too many players get max deals where it doesn't make sense to keep max deals and it clogs the league with overpaid contracts.

#3 - Players being pissed about not getting the extension early is stupid. Players not getting point #1 is stupid. Basically NBA players are stupid. With a right move or two the Kings could have had Fox at a $9.5mil cap hold next offseason with a good amount of cap space. But I bet the threatened to want a trade if they didn't extend him, and now they have to wait out other rookie wage contracts and hope a Bogdan trade brings back some worthwhile assets.

#4 - Teams themselves can't help but do stupid stuff. Players get max offers all the time, and because they are RFA's, even if they aren't worth it, the original team will match because they can't afford to lost them. Basically teams use the Max offer sheet as a handicap for other teams. If they got rid of the max and/or tied draft compensation to signing away a max player, we would see the economics of the NBA improve dramatically.
    Yeah the biggest problem is every player thinking they are a max guy. Sorry but your non-playoff *** with no ASG appearances ainít getting a max deal. Especially as a guard who canít even hit 30% from 3. Absolutely crazy to give this guy that kinda money. And meanwhile you have FVV getting half that money whoís proven himself on a really good team, can shoot, etc. I just donít get it. Honestly why do the Kings ďhaveĒ to do this? They werenít good with him, why pay him 40mil a year to still not be good? Let him get that money from somewhere else. Is letting them go for nothing really worse than being locked into a guy who really isnít a difference maker for 5yrs 200mil?

Rippin' lips son!!

It's the kings, they have no choice. At least he can ball!!