Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Both the Senate and the Electoral College were actually based on a practical compromise, in part due to the desire on the part of some of the original 13 states to maintain slavery.
    True. But what amplifies how out of whack it is is that these systems were put in place long before these massive and underpopulated western territories were added.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    It never was to be. That's what the House is for.
    It absolutely was not meant to be this out of proportion. They had no idea we would add these massive territories sparsely populated compared to the original colonies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    It absolutely was not meant to be this out of proportion. They had no idea we would add these massive territories sparsely populated compared to the original colonies.

they also had no concept we'd have urban areas with multi-million populations and over 300 million in total population, so yes, some adjustments are certainly warranted
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

You have nothing to show for that opinion.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    they also had no concept we'd have urban areas with multi-million populations and over 300 million in total population, so yes, some adjustments are certainly warranted
    qft

One of the end results of Electoral College reform, and perhas the biggest stumbling block, is that no matter what is done, one party or another will have to agree to lose some seats. It's inevitable that whatever change is made would favor one party over the other in some way, shape or form.

Politics is cyclical and it would eventually swing back the other way but the party losing seats after the initial change would have to accept this loss…whatever that loss may be.

The same would go with any redistricting plans. Any change in our electoral system should go hand in hand with congressional redistricting plans. Gerrymandering needs to go. However, some party would come up short.

Good luck with changing any of this

Sounds like a similar approach you take to most every conversation.

Except the entire intent of representative democracy that Jefferson and Madison wrote about.

We really do need Civics classes brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    One of the end results of Electoral College reform, and perhas the biggest stumbling block, is that no matter what is done, one party or another will have to agree to lose some seats. It's inevitable that whatever change is made would favor one party over the other in some way, shape or form.

Politics is cyclical and it would eventually swing back the other way but the party losing seats after the initial change would have to accept this loss…whatever that loss may be.

The same would go with any redistricting plans. Any change in our electoral system should go hand in hand with congressional redistricting plans. Gerrymandering needs to go. However, some party would come up short.

Good luck with changing any of this
    The Republican Party as it stands will never win the popular vote again. If urban (and now suburban) population growth maintains its current trend, even the electoral college will become unwinnable for the GOP as large states go blue.

There will be a breaking point where the GOP will either have to adapt their ideology (which Trump to his credit did drastically by commending gay marriage and rejecting the Iraq war in his 2016 campaign) OR they’ll have to be open to sensible and proportional changes to electoral vote numbers and how they are distributed.

The Republican Party as it stands will never win the popular vote again. If urban (and now suburban) population growth maintains its current trend, even the electoral college will become unwinnable for the GOP as large states go blue.

There will be a breaking point where the GOP will either have to adapt their ideology (which Trump to his credit did drastically by commending gay marriage and rejecting the Iraq war in his 2016 campaign) OR they’ll have to be open to sensible and proportional changes to electoral vote numbers and how they are distributed.

I'm sure that this is what you want but I don't know if it is true.

Republican policies are more realistic and sustainable than some of the silly policies of the dems. As people age and actually accomplish things and have "stuff," many of them will see the light in some of the dumb progressive policies. When all is said and done, somebody has to actually do something for the country to exist and drive forward. I see far more of that attitude in the repuyb party right now. Not so much from the dems.

Time will tell.

And regarding Trump and gay marriage……believe it or not, most people, including me, don't really care one way or the other.

Republican policies are more realistic and sustainable than some of the silly policies of the dems. As people age and actually accomplish things and have "stuff," many of them will see the light in some of the dumb progressive policies. When all is said and done, somebody has to actually do something for the country to exist and drive forward. I see far more of that attitude in the repuyb party right now. Not so much from the dems.

Time will tell.

And regarding Trump and gay marriage……believe it or not, most people, including me, don't really care one way or the other.
    You care.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Time will tell.

Republicans have won exactly 1 popular vote in the last 30 years......
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

Time will tell.

Or lord. This is just an outdated take on the direction of the country. Like I said, the republicans are no longer the adult in the room. Now they’re the whiny kid that always claims people cheated when they lost in kickball and do victory laps when they get a single.

Times have changed and continue to change. Adapt or die. You can say you don’t care about gay marriage but it was a central fight in the Bush years and into Obama’s. Conservatives pushing back over and over like they always do for any social progress on civil rights.

The popular vote margin is growing and Texas is purple. So the GOP needs to adapt or change the rules.

Or lord. This is just an outdated take on the direction of the country. Like I said, the republicans are no longer the adult in the room. Now they’re the whiny kid that always claims people cheated when they lost in kickball and do victory laps when they get a single.

Times have changed and continue to change. Adapt or die. You can say you don’t care about gay marriage but it was a central fight in the Bush years and into Obama’s. Conservatives pushing back over and over like they always do for any social progress on civil rights.

The popular vote margin is growing and Texas is purple. So the GOP needs to adapt or change the rules.
    I used to.think the Republican party would just end itself. It's too stupid. It's too blatantly stupid.

But when trump started losing and doubled down on the stupid by claiming fraud, a good 30% of America seems to be eating it up.

Point being, apparently nothing is too stupid for the newly designed Trumpublican.

Don't tread on me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Except the entire intent of representative democracy that Jefferson and Madison wrote about.

We really do need Civics classes brought back.

By all means post it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast