Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Gordon Hayward opts out of contract

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Danny Ainge is wild lol

Although... it does seem Hayward’s plan B is to just resign with us. With the other moves we’ve made we can give him a good deal and use the full MLE if we maybe just dump Langford. I think Hayward is a better wing than Turner is a big, and I think the MLE big men are better than McDermott is a wing. So honestly that 2 man combo might be better.

If we do get Turner/McDermott I’d try to reroute McDermott into a TPE or cap space (NY?) and the. Use full MLE on Crowder.
    I’m all set on Crowder. Don’t need that type of frustrating inconsistency in my life anymore. Also, he’d never me come back. He’s still upset at Boston fans for rooting for a player that was better than him.

I’d be good with a Turner/Warren combo. I saw a report saying Indy views Warren as a “cornerstone” player which is laughable. You think this is a discussion if he didn’t have that ridiculous hot streak in the bubble? Hayward is a significantly better player. Considering Hayward’s only options at this point are basically return to Boston or a S&T to Indiana, I think Boston has a good odds at getting something good back (either Hayward himself or a a pretty good package from Indy).

I have zero interest in Oladipo. He realizes on his athleticism to be good and after two significant injuries, I don’t think he’ll get back to his previous form. He’s also really he only one real great year in his career. The other ones were nice but considering he’s FA in a year, Cs probably don’t want to deal with that headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on not wanting Dipo. I agree that Warren as a cornerstone player is silly. That being said, Turner + Warren for Hayward just isn't good value to me. I think Turner is really, really, really good though. His defense covers up a lot for that team with Wood and Sabonis being bad defenders. In BOS he'll get all defense love if we land him and he can shine instead of having to cover for others.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Any reason why Boston not trying to resign him? Don't they have Bird rights?

Gordon Hayward opts out of contract

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/sta...086389249?s=21

Now we know the reason he opted out. He had a Horford-like deal on the table. Ainge about to finesse the Pacers.

Now that Hayward has opted out, Boston can stay below the luxury tax. Even if they re-signed him to that 4 year, $100M deal. We will be a tax team in '21-22 and '22-23 with Tatum's extension nt he books and Kemba's new deal still not he books. If we don't get under the tax this year, that means repeater rates. If we get under this year, then Kemba' deal would expire before repeater rates set in.

Some of these IND S&T deals are reaaaaaal tight on the luxury tax. Boston would have basically no in season flexibility to sign buyout guys or injury hardship exemptions or any of that sort of thing.

I really like Turner but is he THAT much better than a full MLE big? I like McDermott but does he bring anything that we couldn't get out of Langston Galloway types for the bi-annual exception or the vet min.

I feel like there's a strong argument to be made Boston is better off just re-signing him ourselves or if he does walk make those type of moves above

Just to add, if IND is willing to give Turner up in a S&T as has been reported. Remember, NO offered them a top 5 pick last year for him. There's talks that NO and MIL pulled another team into the Jrue deal.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Turner go to NO in that deal, with George Hill coming to Boston instead of IND and getting some of the pick haul. Instead of Turner and McDermott, the Celtics get Hill, a decent sized TPE and the ability to use the full MLE to go with the pick(s).

Tuner had 16 blocks in 4 playoff games.

Now that Hayward has opted out, Boston can stay below the luxury tax. Even if they re-signed him to that 4 year, $100M deal. We will be a tax team in '21-22 and '22-23 with Tatum's extension nt he books and Kemba's new deal still not he books. If we don't get under the tax this year, that means repeater rates. If we get under this year, then Kemba' deal would expire before repeater rates set in.

Some of these IND S&T deals are reaaaaaal tight on the luxury tax. Boston would have basically no in season flexibility to sign buyout guys or injury hardship exemptions or any of that sort of thing.

I really like Turner but is he THAT much better than a full MLE big? I like McDermott but does he bring anything that we couldn't get out of Langston Galloway types for the bi-annual exception or the vet min.

I feel like there's a strong argument to be made Boston is better off just re-signing him ourselves or if he does walk make those type of moves above
    Part of me just thinks Boston should just give Hayward the 4/100 and re-sign Baynes and call it a day. Win/win for both sides.

All this big man activity and we’ve heard nothing re: Baynes so far after the great season he had.

Quote Originally Posted by PAOboston View Post
    Part of me just thinks Boston should just give Hayward the 4/100 and re-sign Baynes and call it a day. Win/win for both sides.

All this big man activity and we’ve heard nothing re: Baynes so far after the great season he had.

Was a team going to pay Baynes more than the MLE? If any team does their GM just flat out deserves to be fired. Seriously.

When a guy has a career year at 33 years old on a bad team, it's probably an outlier/fluke. He's probably a good fit in Toronto backing up Ibaka.

Hayward’s time here is done. Especially after this charade. No way he wears Celtics green again. Get what you can for him.

Boston wouldn’t be capped via a S&T. Only Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Boston wouldn’t be capped via a S&T. Only Indy.

I don’t mean literally hard capped. I mean their own decision to avoid the tax. If we don’t avoid the tax one of the next 3 years then the last year will be repeater rates.

With Tatums extension coming and annual raises, we’re pretty much locked into the tax for 21-22 and 22-23. We have to do extreme penny pinching of not using even tax payers MLE, salary dumping rookie scale guys, etc. if we wanted to avoid the tax those years.

This year though, it’s pretty practical to stay under. We have about $24.4M to spend now. And that can make a little more if we sign a 1st year player or two for the back of the bench after spending the bulk of that money.

It just seems like bad long term planning to me to not stay under the tax this year when it’s so doable. Even if ownership is willing to pay the money, just ask them to do it later. Stay under now and then you can go buckwild using your exceptions every year and being able to take back salary in deals in the next few years. Small hit now for soooooo much flexibility.

A Turner/McDermott deal would work under the tax though so I hope that gets done. But if IND wants us to take back Leaf with McD or take back Lambs multi year deal then it gets tougher. I wouldn’t go into the tax for those that type of move. I’d just let Hayward go to NY and use the exceptions.

I don’t mean literally hard capped. I mean their own decision to avoid the tax. If we don’t avoid the tax one of the next 3 years then the last year will be repeater rates.

With Tatums extension coming and annual raises, we’re pretty much locked into the tax for 21-22 and 22-23. We have to do extreme penny pinching of not using even tax payers MLE, salary dumping rookie scale guys, etc. if we wanted to avoid the tax those years.

This year though, it’s pretty practical to stay under. We have about $24.4M to spend now. And that can make a little more if we sign a 1st year player or two for the back of the bench after spending the bulk of that money.

It just seems like bad long term planning to me to not stay under the tax this year when it’s so doable. Even if ownership is willing to pay the money, just ask them to do it later. Stay under now and then you can go buckwild using your exceptions every year and being able to take back salary in deals in the next few years. Small hit now for soooooo much flexibility.

A Turner/McDermott deal would work under the tax though so I hope that gets done. But if IND wants us to take back Leaf with McD or take back Lambs multi year deal then it gets tougher. I wouldn’t go into the tax for those that type of move. I’d just let Hayward go to NY and use the exceptions.
    I mean, there’s still 2 teams with cap space and a few teams with expiring deals that if you toss a late first or couple of second their way I’m sure they would take it on.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Ainge has lost his damn mind. Myles Turner as the 5 in that Boston lineup would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

I’d just let Hayward go to NY and use the exceptions.
    I honestly have a very hard time seeing Hayward go to NYK. Think they are just a leverage play. There like 2 teams left with cap space to sign him out right: NYK & ATL. Feels like it is Indy or bust.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast