Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 192 of 246 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 3679
  1. #2866
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    22,652
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    UPDATED KNICKS CAP

    By acquiring Austin Rivers via sign-and-trade, the Knicks are now hard capped at the apron ($138.9MM)

    Until the Payton signing becomes official, they have ~$23.6MM in remaining cap space (+ $4.8MM Room Exception)
    Had we not hard-capped ourselves at the apron, we could have blown by it as long as the salaries matched up via trade, or am I wrong?

  2. #2867
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,614
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    You mean the draft rights to the international players who are all 33 or older? Wouldnít hard-capping ourselves actually be detrimental to how creative/flexible we can be going forward?

    If we lose an opportunity to acquire someone in the near future/mid-season because we canít make it work financially due to hard-capping ourselves to sign Rivers, Iím going to lose it. That would be the most Knicks thing ever.
    At this point, it is next to impossible for us to get to a $138M cap number at this point in the off-season. We're at around $90M right now and we can only go over the cap to sign on our own FAs.

    Then, the only trades we can make are (i) matching salaries or (ii) absorbing players into our cap space. So yeah, I'm not seeing how this would limit our flexibility for this year.

  3. #2868
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11,866
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    UPDATED KNICKS CAP

    By acquiring Austin Rivers via sign-and-trade, the Knicks are now hard capped at the apron ($138.9MM)

    Until the Payton signing becomes official, they have ~$23.6MM in remaining cap space (+ $4.8MM Room Exception)
    Thatís impossible. We arenít even close to the actual cap, let alone the tax cap. We are still about 20M under the regular cap

  4. #2869
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    22,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba313 View Post
    At this point, it is next to impossible for us to get to a $138M cap number at this point in the off-season. We're at around $90M right now and we can only go over the cap to sign on our own FAs.

    Then, the only trades we can make are (i) matching salaries or (ii) absorbing players into our cap space. So yeah, I'm not seeing how this would limit our flexibility for this year.
    Okay thanks for explaining. I just figured hard-capping ourselves to complete such an insignificant signing right now makes no sense. You never know who will become available and if we do need to blow past the apron then we literally cannot.

  5. #2870
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    22,652
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Thatís impossible. We arenít even close to the actual cap, let alone the tax cap. We are still about 20M under the regular cap
    Thatís from twitter.

  6. #2871
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    22,652
    Sources say the Knicksí first priority for a wing was to get Gordon Hayward and that they told Beasley if they missed out they were coming after him. The Knicks had the cap space, and it would be conceivable that Thibs wouldnít have minded stealing away a player the Wolves gave up a first-round pick for at the trade deadline.

    The Wolves went in with an aggressive pitch to Beasley right away when free agency opened, knowing that if the Knicks extended an offer sheet they could include some onerous terms in the paperwork to make life miserable for Minnesota. This is also Minnesota, a place that has historically had major difficulty recruiting players to sign. The Wolves often have to pay a little extra to get a player, and they really wanted to retain Beasley. He plays fast, hits 3s and attacks the rim, all tenets of their offensive philosophy.

    Beasley, sources said, appreciated the support heís received from the Wolves since his legal issues came to light, likes playing for Ryan Saunders and believes that a core that includes Towns, Russell, Edwards and himself can grow together into a formidable team.

    So rather than wait to see if the Knicks were going to extend an offer, which very well could have come since they did miss out on Hayward, Beasley agreed to terms on the spot. The Wolves did get a little bit of protection with a team option for the fourth year, meaning it is essentially a three-year, $44 million deal. When looking at free-agent contracts for Hayward (four years, $120 million), Jordan Clarkson (4/52), Jerami Grant (3/60), Joe Harris (4/75), Marcus Morris (4/64) and Davis Bertans (5/80), the Beasley deal looks more reasonable.


    We seriously told Beasley to wait and see if we missed out on Hayward?

  7. #2872
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11,866
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Thatís from twitter.
    We had 40M in real cap space. Signed no one big. Go look at the salaries on the books. We arenít close

  8. #2873
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,614
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Had we not hard-capped ourselves at the apron, we could have blown by it as long as the salaries matched up via trade, or am I wrong?
    Yes, but if we match salaries, how would we blow by $138M? We can only acquire 125% + $100,000 of the outgoing salary we trade.

    Even if we end up at the cap at $108M, and then we make a mid-season trade, the only way we could end up with more than $138M in a single trade is if we included a little bit more than the $108M in salary we have on the books.

    Of course, we could make multiple trades and take in 125% for each. But it is just highly, highly, unlikely.

  9. #2874
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11,866
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Sources say the Knicksí first priority for a wing was to get Gordon Hayward and that they told Beasley if they missed out they were coming after him. The Knicks had the cap space, and it would be conceivable that Thibs wouldnít have minded stealing away a player the Wolves gave up a first-round pick for at the trade deadline.

    The Wolves went in with an aggressive pitch to Beasley right away when free agency opened, knowing that if the Knicks extended an offer sheet they could include some onerous terms in the paperwork to make life miserable for Minnesota. This is also Minnesota, a place that has historically had major difficulty recruiting players to sign. The Wolves often have to pay a little extra to get a player, and they really wanted to retain Beasley. He plays fast, hits 3s and attacks the rim, all tenets of their offensive philosophy.

    Beasley, sources said, appreciated the support heís received from the Wolves since his legal issues came to light, likes playing for Ryan Saunders and believes that a core that includes Towns, Russell, Edwards and himself can grow together into a formidable team.

    So rather than wait to see if the Knicks were going to extend an offer, which very well could have come since they did miss out on Hayward, Beasley agreed to terms on the spot. The Wolves did get a little bit of protection with a team option for the fourth year, meaning it is essentially a three-year, $44 million deal. When looking at free-agent contracts for Hayward (four years, $120 million), Jordan Clarkson (4/52), Jerami Grant (3/60), Joe Harris (4/75), Marcus Morris (4/64) and Davis Bertans (5/80), the Beasley deal looks more reasonable.


    We seriously told Beasley to wait and see if we missed out on Hayward?
    Like I said..

    Complete joke. If thatís true, we go in guns blazing, we have a legit young starting 2 guard right now. Just like I thought. Thatís exactly the type of guy we should go for. Talented young player with something to prove, and upside

    Missing out on the exact guys that fit, for what. Prayers we have a shot at the one or 2 guys we want next offseason?
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 11-27-2020 at 03:06 PM.

  10. #2875
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,614
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Okay thanks for explaining. I just figured hard-capping ourselves to complete such an insignificant signing right now makes no sense. You never know who will become available and if we do need to blow past the apron then we literally cannot.
    Sure thing.

    It could actually be really important if we absorb Austin Rivers into a traded player exception. That means (if we time it right) he won't deduct from our cap space until we later use it up, similar to how Elfrid Payton might not deduct from our cap space if we use the mid-level exception on him.

    Theoretically, we could have close to $26M in cap space left, which is very close to Batum's expiring salary.

  11. #2876
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,610
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Like I said..

    Complete joke. If thatís true, we go in guns blazing, we have a legit young starting 2 guard right now. Just like I thought. Thatís exactly the type of guy we should go for. Talented young player with something to prove, and upside

    Missing out on the exact guys that fit, for what. Prayers we have a shot at the one or 2 guys we want next offseason?
    Idk about you but dude is a 🤡 i definitely don't want him around our youth
    Last edited by east fb knicks; 11-27-2020 at 03:53 PM.

  12. #2877
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,610
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Sources say the Knicksí first priority for a wing was to get Gordon Hayward and that they told Beasley if they missed out they were coming after him. The Knicks had the cap space, and it would be conceivable that Thibs wouldnít have minded stealing away a player the Wolves gave up a first-round pick for at the trade deadline.

    The Wolves went in with an aggressive pitch to Beasley right away when free agency opened, knowing that if the Knicks extended an offer sheet they could include some onerous terms in the paperwork to make life miserable for Minnesota. This is also Minnesota, a place that has historically had major difficulty recruiting players to sign. The Wolves often have to pay a little extra to get a player, and they really wanted to retain Beasley. He plays fast, hits 3s and attacks the rim, all tenets of their offensive philosophy.

    Beasley, sources said, appreciated the support heís received from the Wolves since his legal issues came to light, likes playing for Ryan Saunders and believes that a core that includes Towns, Russell, Edwards and himself can grow together into a formidable team.

    So rather than wait to see if the Knicks were going to extend an offer, which very well could have come since they did miss out on Hayward, Beasley agreed to terms on the spot. The Wolves did get a little bit of protection with a team option for the fourth year, meaning it is essentially a three-year, $44 million deal. When looking at free-agent contracts for Hayward (four years, $120 million), Jordan Clarkson (4/52), Jerami Grant (3/60), Joe Harris (4/75), Marcus Morris (4/64) and Davis Bertans (5/80), the Beasley deal looks more reasonable.


    We seriously told Beasley to wait and see if we missed out on Hayward?
    This proves my point Hayward never had any interest and yet you guys are crying we signed nobody but nobody wanted to come here

  13. #2878
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    32,187
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Sources say the Knicksí first priority for a wing was to get Gordon Hayward and that they told Beasley if they missed out they were coming after him. The Knicks had the cap space, and it would be conceivable that Thibs wouldnít have minded stealing away a player the Wolves gave up a first-round pick for at the trade deadline.

    The Wolves went in with an aggressive pitch to Beasley right away when free agency opened, knowing that if the Knicks extended an offer sheet they could include some onerous terms in the paperwork to make life miserable for Minnesota. This is also Minnesota, a place that has historically had major difficulty recruiting players to sign. The Wolves often have to pay a little extra to get a player, and they really wanted to retain Beasley. He plays fast, hits 3s and attacks the rim, all tenets of their offensive philosophy.

    Beasley, sources said, appreciated the support heís received from the Wolves since his legal issues came to light, likes playing for Ryan Saunders and believes that a core that includes Towns, Russell, Edwards and himself can grow together into a formidable team.

    So rather than wait to see if the Knicks were going to extend an offer, which very well could have come since they did miss out on Hayward, Beasley agreed to terms on the spot. The Wolves did get a little bit of protection with a team option for the fourth year, meaning it is essentially a three-year, $44 million deal. When looking at free-agent contracts for Hayward (four years, $120 million), Jordan Clarkson (4/52), Jerami Grant (3/60), Joe Harris (4/75), Marcus Morris (4/64) and Davis Bertans (5/80), the Beasley deal looks more reasonable.


    We seriously told Beasley to wait and see if we missed out on Hayward?
    Well if true heís dumb and probably cost himself 20million in guaranteed money
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  14. #2879
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    32,187
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Like I said..

    Complete joke. If thatís true, we go in guns blazing, we have a legit young starting 2 guard right now. Just like I thought. Thatís exactly the type of guy we should go for. Talented young player with something to prove, and upside

    Missing out on the exact guys that fit, for what. Prayers we have a shot at the one or 2 guys we want next offseason?
    Why didnít he wait legit 1 day lmao he cost himself money.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  15. #2880
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    32,187
    Quote Originally Posted by east fb knicks View Post
    This proves my point Hayward never had any interest and yet you guys are crying we signed nobody but nobody wanted to come here
    That doesnít prove he had no interest Lmaoo the hornets offered him 4/120 we were never offering him that. Hell the offers came out of teams that offered him 4/100 we were not on that list.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •