Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Knicks Select PF Obi Toppin with the 8th Pick

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Yo that's mad funny bro, seriously...
    Thanks. Thatís the second time youíve complimented me tonight. Iím feeling loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    To me Toppin right now is a bigger Landry Fields.

He can be productive, he can do some things good, but for how the modern day nba is played, where does he fit in?

I just don't see it yet, and didn't see it before we drafted. What is he? No one knows.
    Perhaps your right. Letís see how it goes. Rose, Thibs, Payne, and scouts must see something. Perhaps we should have taken Vassell or Halliburton. Yet, letís see, after next draft and maybe 2022 as well. We in this for the long run. Have to see how this teams rotation is at least until this time next year. What I like about Obi is he moves without the ball.Obi is moving a all the time on offense, if we had a dynamic pg, who moves an offense with creativity then Obi will be something we havenít seen before on this team, Obi moves around like RIP Hamilton or Kerry Kittles at times as a PF, and can run in the open court, slash, and play in the post, as well as pass very well, and lead a break.

Thought we should re-examine this thread....

Through 16 games, Obi Toppin's numbers are slightly better than Frank Ntilikina who played 4 games and likely will never play for the Knicks again.

I'm wondering what was the thought process when Obi Toppin was drafted by the Knicks. The Knicks had a clear need for a point guard of the future. They passed on Haliburton. They passed on Cole Anthony. They thought moving up for LaMelo was too expensive.

The Knicks made the argument that you draft the best player available.

Well I'm not sure Obi Toppin was the best available. Clearly he's not ready to start in the NBA. There were red flags. He started playing basketball much later in life than most. He played 2 years at Dayton, Ohio.

In the last three games, Obi Toppin has played a lot better. I thought he was really good in the first of two games against Miami where he helped the Knicks close the gap...only to come up short.

But...having said that, the Knicks are actually trying to win now. That makes me wonder, what's his role with Julius Randle likely to be paid $200M to stay with the Knicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    Thought we should re-examine this thread....

Through 16 games, Obi Toppin's numbers are slightly better than Frank Ntilikina who played 4 games and likely will never play for the Knicks again.

I'm wondering what was the thought process when Obi Toppin was drafted by the Knicks. The Knicks had a clear need for a point guard of the future. They passed on Haliburton. They passed on Cole Anthony. They thought moving up for LaMelo was too expensive.

The Knicks made the argument that you draft the best player available.

Well I'm not sure Obi Toppin was the best available. Clearly he's not ready to start in the NBA. There were red flags. He started playing basketball much later in life than most. He played 2 years at Dayton, Ohio.

In the last three games, Obi Toppin has played a lot better. I thought he was really good in the first of two games against Miami where he helped the Knicks close the gap...only to come up short.

But...having said that, the Knicks are actually trying to win now. That makes me wonder, what's his role with Julius Randle likely to be paid $200M to stay with the Knicks?
    Toppin has a great physical profile. We see how easily he finishes when he moving towards the hole. We also see a guy that is crazy fast, has a super high motor, and has good court sense/hands/and passing skills. He is physically weaker then we thought, needs major work on his handle, and some work on the J- particularly the corner J (I think bigs run to the basket to collapse the D so shooters can run corner and like an Al Hardfort Obi is more comfortable at the top of the arc right now).

Iím am encouraged by the fact apparently he worked with a lot of people this summer and was almost universally thought of as an offensive talent. I am also encouraged by his defense. I think he is a much better defender then Knox at either forward spot (I know low bar). I think he will have more versatility then some give him credit for. I think a lot of it will come back to the dribble game- itís very very limited now.

Right now I wish we took Hali but otherwise I still donít think they made a bad pick. I see the potential for a good basketball player. I understand wondering what the team is going to do with him and I donít have an answer

The last thing Iíll say about Toppin is I like him. Heís a great athlete, looks like a worker, and looks like he has some ball in his blood. Barrett looked like a guy that would get better I think Toppin does too.

On the other hand, Knox is said to be a very hard worker and I still think he looks like his body is moving too fast for him and he is going to fall on his face every time he takes 2 or more dribbles. Maybe his feet are too big for his body or his big neck weighs him down

Last edited by ewing; 02-11-2021 at 09:12 AM.

I don't think there is a soul who doesn't think Obi Toppin is a good kid.

The concern is, what position will he play?

If he's playing Power forward, Thibs is only going to give him 10 min/game because Julius Randle is way too valuable (will be re-signed).

Obi is 22 yrs old, it's crucial he get as many minutes as possible to develop.

As a rookie, he should be backing up Mitchell Robinson because Obi's power game lives in the paint. Until his jumper is more consistent, he creates spacing problems which again, leads into the problem of allocating minutes.

I feel much better about Obi with Rose here tbh. He finally has a guy he can float around and dive with off penetration, and also hit the break with. It also seems like Rose is out there looking to get him involved, whereas Rivers was playing keep away from Obi. I think you will see him produce more consistently in his minutes. Now, where he fits long term is a completely different story. Would be nice for Knicks brass to hold a press conference and actually answer some questions.

I still wonder if the plan is to trade Randle. It doesn't seem like either Obi or Randle is gonna get much burn at the 5 under Thibs so something has gotta give at some point. Unless they plan to bulk Obi up like crazy but it doesn't really seem like that's the plan. With Randle and our firsts the Knicks have the makings of a blockbuster deal if the right guy is available.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 02-11-2021 at 11:11 AM.

I really don't think the Knicks are going to make a blockbuster deal.

I think, the Knicks are going to get rid of the youth of previous Front Office: Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox...maybe even Mitchell Robinson.

I definitely think the Knicks WILL re-sign Julius Randle.

Thibs is not a fan of dramatic upheavals. Neither is Leon Rose. They both prioritize locker room culture over rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    I really don't think the Knicks are going to make a blockbuster deal.

I think, the Knicks are going to get rid of the youth of previous Front Office: Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox...maybe even Mitchell Robinson.

I definitely think the Knicks WILL re-sign Julius Randle.

Thibs is not a fan of dramatic upheavals. Neither is Leon Rose. They both prioritize locker room culture over rebuild.
    Today we agree -- in particular I think the bold is truth. A new broom sweeps clean.

https://twitter.com/tommybeer/status...036285952?s=21

He did

Last edited by ewing; 02-14-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    https://twitter.com/tommybeer/status...036285952?s=21

He did

Honestly heís been great offensively outside of 3s.

64% from 2 on the season and they arenít all dunks.

As long as he is efficient early on, thatís what matters the most.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Honestly heís been great offensively outside of 3s.

64% from 2 on the season and they arenít all dunks.

As long as he is efficient early on, thatís what matters the most.
    I wouldnít say great but he profiles as a guy that can score. Even in limited mins when he doesnít look great he always seems to get some buckets without forcing anything

Last edited by ewing; 02-14-2021 at 02:26 PM.

I got Obi making three, threes against the Hawks

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I got Obi making three, threes against the Hawks

Obi hasnít done that since his debut. He played 23 mins on opening night and then he got hurt. He hasnít cracked 17 mins since. I would love to see him do this and get 20+ mins playing with Randle a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Obi hasnít done that since his debut. He played 23 mins on opening night and then he got hurt. He hasnít cracked 17 mins since. I would love to see him do this and get 20+ mins playing with Randle a bit.
    My gut says he will come confidently looking to shoot that elbow 3. Iím hoping his regular mins can expand from 9-10 to 12-13.

I think Obi has gotten a lot better. The game is slowing down for him. Rose has been huge for him! Thibs needs to find him some more minutes.

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast