Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 555 of 845
  1. #541
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24,217
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I disagree and I am a Toppin fan. I agree that Toppin would be able to show more if we moved away from the double screener thing we do with him and Taj and ran a two-man game with him and a ball handler (I think Qucikley would be ideal).

    I don't think that excuses Toppin for not being able to impact the game. He is a big and isn't going to have the rock as much as Quick or another ball-handler but players find ways to impact the game. Last game he had two offensive rebounds. Were those his first two all season? As a super mobile athletic big he should be doing that every night. I don't think he has one follow-up dunk. He also should rip one down on the defensive end and push the pace himself maybe once a game. Those are two examples but there are other ways he can put his stamp on the game. Again, I am a Toppin fan, think some are overly critical of how is played in his limited mins but even if his setting isn't ideal its on him to find a way to impact the game.
    I'm saying it's Knicks fault for trying to reinvent the wheel look at how they tried to turn RJ into a jump shooter now RJ is playing just like he did in college and scoring more efficiently so why cant they let Obi play like he did in college.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

  2. #542
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,935
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    If obi wasnt a rookie there would be no reason you wouldn't cut him and move on.

    This is why drafting him was so stupid. Most people here are fine moving on from frank knox and dsj, but obi is the same age as them.
    If after a few seasons if Obi does not improve I will say he needs to move on too. Yes, they may be the same age. However, Frank and Knox got their chance and now itís Obi chance to compete in the NBA. I know your focused on their relative age but Obi is not old. They are all years from their prime. However, Frank and Knox have not shown the grit and determination, the aggressiveness to be NBA players so far. If you want to argue Frank and Knox should get more time, that is a fair point. But to argue because Obi is 22 should not be give his fair shot, is not fair. When you argue you certainly hold a point like a pit bull, but itís not fair.
    Last edited by flimflamman; 02-23-2021 at 02:42 PM.

  3. #543
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    55,815

    Knicks Select PF Obi Toppin with the 8th Pick

    Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    I'm saying it's Knicks fault for trying to reinvent the wheel look at how they tried to turn RJ into a jump shooter now RJ is playing just like he did in college and scoring more efficiently so why cant they let Obi play like he did in college.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    I don't think they tried to turn Barrett into anything. He played a similar style last year but wasn't as good. As for Toppin he has a little of the college tweener problem and like Barrett last year, he's a rookie

    I do think that we could do a better job using his strengths but at the end of the day if everyone else has to be doing just the right thing for you to excel you are the problem. I still see a guy that will be a good player if he can defend adequately and be aggressive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  4. #544
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24,217
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I don't think they tried to turn Barrett into anything. He played a similar style last year but wasn't as good. As for Toppin he has a little of the college tweener problem and like Barrett last year, he's a rookie

    I do think that we could do a better job using his strengths but at the end of the day if everyone else has to be doing just the right thing for you to excel you are the problem. I still see a guy that will be a good player if he can defend adequately and be aggressive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think it's that simple if Knicks weren't in playoffs race right now we would all be saying fire CAA club because either they don't know how to use toppin or they screwed up big time with another Knicks lottery pick I mean the kid is performing worse then Jordan Hill the most hated lottery pick since Sweetney.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

  5. #545
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    55,815
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    I don't think it's that simple if Knicks weren't in playoffs race right now we would all be saying fire CAA club because either they don't know how to use toppin or they screwed up big time with another Knicks lottery pick I mean the kid is performing worse then Jordan Hill the most hated lottery pick since Sweetney.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    We are not rational


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  6. #546
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,935
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    I don't think it's that simple if Knicks weren't in playoffs race right now we would all be saying fire CAA club because either they don't know how to use toppin or they screwed up big time with another Knicks lottery pick I mean the kid is performing worse then Jordan Hill the most hated lottery pick since Sweetney.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    Gee whiz, some of you guys make me defend OBI, just because the arguments against him are so extreme. Jordan Hill was terrible. Obi has much more promise. I am not a Obi fan even. But just being reasonable in his defense seems to be extreme in response. Obi is talented. If we keep Randall long term then we trade Obi. Yet, he might be part of a very balanced bench. We are still in team development mode, and talent acquisition. During this draft they took Obi, and IQ, knowing they had four picks ( three now ) in the coming draft. Canít we acquire a player that replicated Halliburtonís performance in the draft and free agency, I believe so. Halliburton is a nice player. Perhaps we should have drafted him. However, he is not a player that we canít get replace right ? If Obi reaches his potential itís arguably harder to find a Amare level player, then a Halliburton level player.
    Last edited by flimflamman; 02-23-2021 at 06:46 PM.

  7. #547
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,883
    Jordan Hill was never as physically gifted as Obi Toppin.

    I hated Old Man Toppin when the Knicks drafted him. I didn't see any potential. Certainly his first dozen games, I couldn't wait till Thibs put him DNP.

    Then Derrick Rose showed me what Toppin can do when he gets the feed in the proper sweet spot. Rose is not the man he once was but he gives it, his all.

    Let's be clear. Elfrid Payton is only good for one thing: Passing to Julius Randle. RJ Barrett won't admit it until we threaten a family member with a gun. Barrett is zen patient with being reduced to a 3rd option/after thought on many nights. He just makes it work efficiently. That doesn't mean Payton's problems have gone away for good.

    The Knicks better upgrade that point guard position in the Off-season or there will be hell to pay at the Garden.

  8. #548
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24,217
    Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    Gee whiz, some of you guys make me defend OBI, just because the arguments against him are so extreme. Jordan Hill was terrible. Obi has much more promise. I am not a Obi fan even. But just being reasonable in his defense seems to be extreme in response. Obi is talented. If we keep Randall long term then we trade Obi. Yet, he might be part of a very balanced bench. We are still in team development mode, and talent acquisition. During this draft they took Obi, and IQ, knowing they had four picks ( three now ) in the coming draft. Canít we acquire a player that replicated Halliburtonís performance in the draft and free agency, I believe so. Halliburton is a nice player. Perhaps we should have drafted him. However, he is not a player that we canít get replace right ? If Obi reaches his potential itís arguably harder to find a Amare level player, then a Halliburton level player.
    Obi is not performing up to lottery expectations they are using him like a undrafted rookie his last 3 games he's averaging 2pts on 2 shot attempts in 10mins, this entire season he has only attempted over 5 shot attempts 4 times and over 50% of his shot come at 3pt land either Knicks brain is dead or they were lying this kid was NBA ready and he might be a bust because I have never seen Knicks use there lottery picks with such a minimal role on team not even contenders like spurs and gsw pull this **** it's concerning.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

  9. #549
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,935
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    Obi is not performing up to lottery expectations they are using him like a undrafted rookie his last 3 games he's averaging 2pts on 2 shot attempts in 10mins, this entire season he has only attempted over 5 shot attempts 4 times and over 50% of his shot come at 3pt land either Knicks brain is dead or they were lying this kid was NBA ready and he might be a bust because I have never seen Knicks use there lottery picks with such a minimal role on team not even contenders like spurs and gsw pull this **** it's concerning.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    I agree. Donít get me wrong. But just too early to throw dust on him. They have Randall playing like LeBron ahead of him.

  10. #550
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    750
    I said it before and Iíll say it again. We will regret this Obi pick... dude is trash. For sanity purposes in my head we picked quick with that lottery pick

  11. #551
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    72,428
    Thereís no path to playing time for Obi. He had one of his best games tonight and he could only get 13 mins. Heís been placed into a situation where heís not set up for success as a rookie. If he were playing 30 mins a night and making no impact, Iíd be criticizing him too.

  12. #552
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    55,815
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Thereís no path to playing time for Obi. He had one of his best games tonight and he could only get 13 mins. Heís been placed into a situation where heís not set up for success as a rookie. If he were playing 30 mins a night and making no impact, Iíd be criticizing him too.
    I'm not sure what people want. He isn't impacting games but he hasnt been terrible either. In February the guy is shooting 56% from the field and 33% from 3. His attempts are limited bc his mins are limited and he is us having trouble finding his place but heís not killing us or terrible.

    Tonight I thought he could of had an impact. We ran all that two man game with Gibson in the 4th quarter and he got catches in the lane. Run that with Obi


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  13. #553
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,117
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Thereís no path to playing time for Obi. He had one of his best games tonight and he could only get 13 mins. Heís been placed into a situation where heís not set up for success as a rookie. If he were playing 30 mins a night and making no impact, Iíd be criticizing him too.
    I agree with this... and believe the knicks should try and maxmize his value as soon as they can. All signs lead to Randle resigning and being here long term.

  14. #554
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,883
    Alan Hahn on KnicksFanTV via youtube: What position does Obi Toppin play? Sounds a lot like Kenny Walker situation.

    Hmmm...I still say, Toppin should be played at Center off the bench. He comfortable down low. He'll get minutes.

    At least Derrick Rose can find him.

  15. #555
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    3,405
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    You think we should have drafted someone that wasn't a rookie?
    If your going to draft a raw player in the lottery they sure as heck shouldn't be the same age as dude who have been in the nba 3-4 years already.

    Hes old, hes raw, and he has no position.

    Best case scenario is he comes a knock down 3 point shooter, and than he can open up his offense, but you could say that about almost every young player in the league.

    But if he doesn't do that, at this point he has no reason to be on a nba court.

Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •