Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Troop Withdrawal in Iraq and Afghanistan

It was announced that Trump authorized the withdrawal of thousands of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/polit...gon/index.html

There are few things that I like about Trumps presidency but this is one. The fact that his foreign military aggression has been far less than his predecessors and sticking to his plan of pulling troops out of these two countries.

Obama did the same and it seems inevitable that we’ll have to send them back, but it’s a good sentiment.

For 8 years of W we had to listen to republicans call anyone who criticized action in Iraq “unpatriotic” or “against the troops”. So it’s nice that Trumps ability to get republicans to follow whatever he says, was able to get them to admit that Iraq was a big mistake.

The downside is the Taliban (depending on what happens with this whole peace agreement) will take over and it means the abuse and murder of women again. There are thousands of citizens there who will feel deserted.

So, what’s the right thing to do in Afghanistan?

Seems wrong to leave and watch these women go back to being tortured....but we also can’t meddle in the Middle East forever and it’s not like we’re even considering action in China to help the Uighers. (Afghanistan was always about completing that pipeline anyway, not human rights).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a good move not to completely withdraw. Leave minimal footprints in both countries so in Iraq you don’t completely cede it to Iran and then have a repeat of ISIL forming, and Afghanistan you keep ISIL, al Qaeda and the Taliban in check while maintaining a military presence on the western borders of China and eastern border of Iran.

Stop pretending that if Trump was in Bush's shoes, he wouldn't have done far , far worse. Cmon. This is common sense. Trump doesn't deserve any credit here.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    It was announced that Trump authorized the withdrawal of thousands of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/polit...gon/index.html

There are few things that I like about Trumps presidency but this is one. The fact that his foreign military aggression has been far less than his predecessors and sticking to his plan of pulling troops out of these two countries.

Obama did the same and it seems inevitable that we’ll have to send them back, but it’s a good sentiment.

For 8 years of W we had to listen to republicans call anyone who criticized action in Iraq “unpatriotic” or “against the troops”. So it’s nice that Trumps ability to get republicans to follow whatever he says, was able to get them to admit that Iraq was a big mistake.

The downside is the Taliban (depending on what happens with this whole peace agreement) will take over and it means the abuse and murder of women again. There are thousands of citizens there who will feel deserted.

So, what’s the right thing to do in Afghanistan?

Seems wrong to leave and watch these women go back to being tortured....but we also can’t meddle in the Middle East forever and it’s not like we’re even considering action in China to help the Uighers. (Afghanistan was always about completing that pipeline anyway, not human rights).
    Good move by Trump, and yes, this is an area for which his administration deserves credit (not so with his Iran policiy).

Isn't a problem with withdrawal, as Trump is intending, going against the advice of the military? Obviously, it likely was best if we'd been out years ago, but troop reduction can also put remaining troops in more peril along with the people they are supposedly there to protect in the first place.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    It’s a good move not to completely withdraw. Leave minimal footprints in both countries so in Iraq you don’t completely cede it to Iran and then have a repeat of ISIL forming, and Afghanistan you keep ISIL, al Qaeda and the Taliban in check while maintaining a military presence on the western borders of China and eastern border of Iran.
    It's a terrible move not to completely withdraw.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Isn't a problem with withdrawal, as Trump is intending, going against the advice of the military? Obviously, it likely was best if we'd been out years ago, but troop reduction can also put remaining troops in more peril along with the people they are supposedly there to protect in the first place.
    The military will NEVER not say we need more troops. Quite frankly they should be ignored in many respects. Does anyone trust them to say “we can actually do with far less than we currently have”?

The question, given the recent news about Trump wanting to attack Iran, is if the withdrawal was just to prep for Iran.

I thought for sure all that aggression was just because Bolton was there.

He’s clearly looking to dump a war on Biden or distraction like past presidents or maybe in his crazy mind he can use a nuclear war threat as cause for staying in office and suspend the transition.

This guy is going to jail when he leaves so desperation mode has kicked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The military will NEVER not say we need more troops. Quite frankly they should be ignored in many respects. Does anyone trust them to say “we can actually do with far less than we currently have”?
    We damn sure should be able to trust them, yes.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    We damn sure should be able to trust them, yes.
    There hasn’t been a time when they haven’t felt they needed 99% of the country to be serving in 99% of the countries across the world.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Stop pretending that if Trump was in Bush's shoes, he wouldn't have done far , far worse. Cmon. This is common sense. Trump doesn't deserve any credit here.

Trump tried to bring the troops home, only to be stymied and lied to. The War Machine runs this country and we'll see if Biden and co stick to the script.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Trump tried to bring the troops home, only to be stymied and lied to. The War Machine runs this country and we'll see if Biden and co stick to the script.
    Trump would have done more than Bush did. Without a doubt.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Trump would have done more than Bush did. Without a doubt.

Donald Trump would invade the UK right now if someone told him that they would arrange to switch the votes in Michigan and Georgia.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Donald Trump would invade the UK right now if someone told him that they would arrange to switch the votes in Michigan and Georgia.
    Hed shoot someone on 5th ave..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Trump bringing Americans home, evil bastard.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast