Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I agree with much of the sentiment already expressed. I was never a Sanchez fan. My concern is with return value. His is so low at the moment I wonder if it's the opportune time to move him. Imo return would not be optimal.

His potential is high and has not yet been realized. Maybe a change in scenery is best for all? IDK.
    I agree completely. Cashman has always valued Sanchez extremely highly, i'm just not sure he gets the return he wants. The one thing i could see forcing Cash to move him is Sanchezs 6m salary next yr. If they bring back DJ or get Lindor they may have to let him go to use that money else where. I just don't know where they are going to find another catcher for less money. we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Agreed. As much as Judge and Stanton K, they often get deep into counts and make the pitcher work.
    Sanchez had some of the least competitive ABs, I've seen in a long time.
    His ABS at the plate this yr were so bad, he didn't look like he had a clue up there. I think the Yanks are just as responsible for Sanchezs huge decline as Sanchez is. Having to learn 3 different catching styles in 4yrs didn't do him any favors on either side of the ball

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post

His ABS at the plate this yr were so bad, he didn't look like he had a clue up there. I think the Yanks are just as responsible for Sanchezs huge decline as Sanchez is. Having to learn 3 different catching styles in 4yrs didn't do him any favors on either side of the ball
    Good point. I also think the loss of Pena and Girardi could factor in, two former catchers that mentored him.

Back in 2017 he was #2 offensively behind Posey, according to MLB power ranking.

2017 Offensive: 126 OPS+, .278/.345/.541, 53 XBH (33 HR), 90 RBI, 79 R

2017 Defensive: 38% CS (23/60), 1 DRS, 10.6 DEF, -3.8 Framing RAA

WAR: 4.1

Sanchez hit 33 home runs in 2017; here's the list of catchers with more home runs in a single season prior to age 25:

Johnny Bench, 22 years old (45)
    Johnny Bench, 24 years old (40)
    Mike Piazza, 24 years old (35)
    Rudy York, 23 years old (35)

Sanchez was more so an afterthought in 2018 season. The former Rookie of the Year finalist was inconsistent and measurably bad in some regards, hitting .186 and striking out 94 times in 89 games, however, his power stayed, as he hit 18 home runs and drove in 53 runs near the bottom of the Yankees order.

His walk rate also moved in the wrong direction, dropping from 10.5 to 7.6 percent, and returning that to his rookie-season rate will be the next step for his offensive game.

Out of the 60 hits Sanchez recorded, 35 were good for extra bases, while his defense (0.5 dWAR) and throwing arm (above MLB-average caught stealing percentage of 30 percent) played up his otherwise miserable season.

One has to wonder what has happened. Where has the power gone? He seems lost at the plate at times. I would like to believe focus on D is responsible, but the numbers don't fully support that notion.

https://www.mlb.com/news/buster-pose...ers-c265337230
    Last edited by drt1010; 11-15-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

The most logical explanation is that he may simply not be as good as everyone thought he was . I mean he is almost 30 , he should not still need someone to push him to do well .

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    The most logical explanation is that he may simply not be as good as everyone thought he was . I mean he is almost 30 , he should not still need someone to push him to do well .
    he turns 28 in december...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    he turns 28 in december...
    Yeah 28 is almost 30 . That was my point .

By that logic is he closer to 25 or 30?
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    By that logic is he closer to 25 or 30?
    When he turns 28 next month he will be closer to 30

28 is not 30 especially for a catcher gary is still very young.. it is his mindset that is causing him to fail..

28 is not 30 especially for a catcher gary is still very young.. it is his mindset that is causing him to fail..
    I never said 28 was 30 . I said 28 is ALMOST 30 . And I think his lack of talent behind the plate is what’s causing him to fail that and his need to have someone coaching him all the time .

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I agree completely. Cashman has always valued Sanchez extremely highly, i'm just not sure he gets the return he wants. The one thing i could see forcing Cash to move him is Sanchezs 6m salary next yr. If they bring back DJ or get Lindor they may have to let him go to use that money else where. I just don't know where they are going to find another catcher for less money. we'll see

If giving up Gary for cheap means Lindor and DJ? Oh hell yes.

As Doc said, I also think the lack of any coach who played catcher on the bench, has hurt him. I also think there are some guys who respond to harsh coaching more than the new age stuff. Sanchez may be a guy who needs a drill sergeant of a coach

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    If giving up Gary for cheap means Lindor and DJ? Oh hell yes.

As Doc said, I also think the lack of any coach who played catcher on the bench, has hurt him. I also think there are some guys who respond to harsh coaching more than the new age stuff. Sanchez may be a guy who needs a drill sergeant of a coach
    gary has hit under 200 2/3 years.. i'm not sure but i think gary set a record last year for the most at bats hitting under 150 for a season.. it's time to pull the plug....

gary has hit under 200 2/3 years.. i'm not sure but i think gary set a record last year for the most at bats hitting under 150 for a season.. it's time to pull the plug....
    I still can not believe cashman didn’t pull the trigger on the Sanchez for realmuto trade two years ago . What a damned fool

Interesting report from Olney. He says the Yanks want to fix Sanchez because he has so little trade value. http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/...son-priorities

Interesting report from Olney. He says the Yanks want to fix Sanchez because he has so little trade value. http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/...son-priorities
    I knew it , they never seriously planned on trading Sanchez . As usual cashman was full of crap . Can only hope they do fix him before they let him go as a free agent in 2 years

I knew it , they never seriously planned on trading Sanchez . As usual cashman was full of crap . Can only hope they do fix him before they let him go as a free agent in 2 years
    i do not think gary is fixable only one other full time player i can think of hit under 200 has hit under 200 2/3 years chris davis of the orioles and the only reason is because the orioles signed him to a expensive contract before...his decline...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast