Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

MLB awards: Finalists unveiled for MVP, Cy Young, Rookie and Manager of the Year

On Monday night, the Baseball Writers' Association of America announced the three finalists in each league for its 2020 awards. The winners of those awards -- the Most Valuable Player, the Cy Young, the Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year, and the Manager of the Year -- have already been voted upon; the results will be announced on a designated evening next week.

Below, we've compiled the finalists for each of the awards. We've also made note of when the BBWAA will reveal the victors.

Most Valuable Player (announced on Nov. 12)

National League: Mookie Betts (Dodgers); Freddie Freeman (Braves); Manny Machado (Padres)

Betts possesses the lead in Wins Above Replacement, and he seems like the favorite from this vantage point. Still, Freeman and Machado finished a not-so-distant second and third and either would be a worthy winner, should it come to that.

American League: Jose Abreu (White Sox); DJ LeMahieu (Yankees); Jose Ramirez (Cleveland)

This is the first time 2017 Mike Trout won't finish first or second in MVP voting. Nevertheless, Abreu and LeMahieu tied for the lead in Wins Above Replacement. Ramirez tied for third. Keep that in mind, because the voters clearly consulted with these numbers before voting.

Cy Young Award (announced on Nov. 11)

National League: Trevor Bauer (Reds); Yu Darvish (Cubs); Jacob deGrom (Mets)

This one can go any which way. Bauer and Darvish finished with almost identical run averages against (2.10 versus 2.13) while facing the same competition. DeGrom's 2.78 mark was higher, but voters might determine that he pitched better than that figure when other factors, including his quality of competition, is factored in.

American League: Shane Bieber (Cleveland); Kenta Maeda (Twins); Hyun-Jin Ryu (Blue Jays)

Bieber is, obviously, the odds-on favorite to win. We do want to note that the Dodgers had both Maeda and Ryu in 2019, trading one then letting the other walk. And then they won the World Series, anyway, in case you were wondering about how much depth they had and continue to have.

Rookie of the Year (announced on Nov. 10)

National League: Alec Bohm (Phillies); Jake Cronenworth (Padres); Devin Williams (Brewers)

Based only on Wins Above Replacement, Cronenworth deserves the honor. Williams might be the biggest surprise of the three -- not that he wasn't deserving, but he came out of left field to post arguably the most dominant relief season in the game.

American League: Cristian Javier (Astros); Kyle Lewis (Mariners); Luis Robert (White Sox)

Robert received more attention than Javier and Lewis did combined during the season, but this is a closer race than that indicates. All three finished within 0.3 Wins Above Replacement of each other, suggesting there's going to be a defensible winner no matter who comes out ahead.

Manager of the Year (announced on Nov. 9)

National League: Don Mattingly (Marlins); David Ross (Cubs); Jayce Tingler (Padres)

If there's a surprise here, it's that Dave Roberts (Dodgers) and Brian Snitker (Braves) were left out. The voters instead favored surprise and/or first-time skippers. Fair enough.

American League: Kevin Cash (Rays); Charlie Montoyo (Blue Jays); Rick Renteria (formerly White Sox)

The same wasn't true in the AL, where voters gave Cash his flowers for delivering the league's best record. Renteria is an amusing inclusion, given that he was recently dismissed so that the White Sox could hire Tony La Russa. Awkward.
    Any of these finalists not ringing true for you? Who do you think is the most deserving for each award out of the options available?

I think Shane Bieber should have definitely been a finalist for the AL MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Any of these finalists not ringing true for you? Who do you think is the most deserving for each award out of the options available?
    i feel like freeman should win it but betts will because dodgers/title.... i know betts had the higher war but i am sick of how insanely overrated defense is for War esp at certain positions... that is all betts has on freeman but the thing is freeman is spectacular at his position so because freeman doesnt play betts position he cant win mvp even though he was far better offensively? stupid

also wheeler was scammed... this is the homer in me lol
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 11-03-2020 at 03:38 AM.

I wonder if they ever consider adding offensive player of the year. I think mvp sometimes gets too tied to best player on the best team, that allowing for an offensive player could really highlight the best hitter. I think it would also help cast MVP votes to pitchers, since hitters would them have their own stat too.

One other thing, and this is partly the homer in me, but I hate comparing WAR of pitchers to hitters. Like in the NL ROY writeup, they mention Cronesworth is the clear WAR leader, but to me its just not helpful to compare WAR of hitters and pitchers. I know both are scaled to leave average as best they can, but it's still generally a meaningless raw number that's most valuable to compare to others. But the inputs are so different for hitters and pitchers, it's just foolish to use that as a metric whje comparing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i feel like freeman should win it but betts will because dodgers/title.... i know betts had the higher war but i am sick of how insanely overrated defense is for War esp at certain positions... that is all betts has on freeman but the thing is freeman is spectacular at his position so because freeman doesnt play betts position he cant win mvp even though he was far better offensively? stupid
    I'd take Freeman over Betts as well and def view offensive stats as more trustworthy than defensive stats (especially in a shortened season). Too bad Soto missed the beginning of the season, as his numbers were through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I wonder if they ever consider adding offensive player of the year. I think mvp sometimes gets too tied to best player on the best team, that allowing for an offensive player could really highlight the best hitter. I think it would also help cast MVP votes to pitchers, since hitters would them have their own stat too.

One other thing, and this is partly the homer in me, but I hate comparing WAR of pitchers to hitters. Like in the NL ROY writeup, they mention Cronesworth is the clear WAR leader, but to me its just not helpful to compare WAR of hitters and pitchers. I know both are scaled to leave average as best they can, but it's still generally a meaningless raw number that's most valuable to compare to others. But the inputs are so different for hitters and pitchers, it's just foolish to use that as a metric whje comparing the two.
    Isnít the Hank Aaron award the best offensive player?

They should definitely make that as valuable as the CY Young and then have the MVP be more attainable by any player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post

Pretty tough to call someone the MVP when they play every 5th day as opposed to everyday.If a pitcher completely dominates and no hitters really stand out then yeah, I'm for giving it to a pitcher. Verlander winning it in 2011 was something I supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Don't see how Don Mattingly doesn't get the NL Manager of the Year award.
    Eichel Tower

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Pretty tough to call someone the MVP when they play every 5th day as opposed to everyday.If a pitcher completely dominates and no hitters really stand out then yeah, I'm for giving it to a pitcher. Verlander winning it in 2011 was something I supported.
    This year was wonky, so well look at a normal year. But the 2019 Cy Young winners faced between 800-850 batters. The MVPs had 600 and 661 plate appearances. If you add putouts, whixh aren't perfect since it ignores other plays, trout was up at about 900 POs and PAs. Bellinger was over 1,000, but part of that stemmed from playing 1st.

So when you add defensive plays and plate appearances, position players do have a fair amount more chances. But alot of those defensive plays are fairly routine. If you take plate appearances and actually even somewhat impactful defensive plays, pitchers and postional guys are close to equally important in my mind.