Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    More from roto
    Red Sox acquired RHP Frank German from the Yankees in the Adam Ottavino trade.

Ottavino is the big name here, but given Boston will pay most of the money left on his deal, odds are they wouldn't have done this one without landing an interesting prospect. German, 23, was a fourth-round pick of the Yankees in 2018 and holds a 3.56 ERA with 128 strikeouts and 44 walks over his first 111 1/3 innings in pro ball. He throws hard, but he'll have to make progress with his control to avoid a move to the bullpen.

Red Sox acquired RHPs Adam Ottavino and Frank German and cash considerations from the Yankees for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

It's a pure cash-dump for the Yankees, who are looking to stay under the $210 luxury tax threshold while adding some other pieces. Brett Gardner is one possibility. Ottavino is still owed $8 million this season and a $3 million signing bonus which is deferred to 2022, but Boston will cover most of that. According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the Yankees are paying just $850,00 as part of the trade. As for the Red Sox, they managed to buy a prospect as well as a pitcher who is capable of a rebound. Ottavino could very well be saving games for Boston this season. And if he bounces back, he could be an interesting trade chip in the final year of his deal.
    Feels weird. The Yankees are dumping Ottavino's salary to make another move and stay under the luxury tax and the Red Sox are helping. After watching them pick up Tallion for prospects they could have dealt and swoop in to sign Kluber for only $11M, how in the world are we also helping them make those things work?

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Red Sox are still interested in free agent outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.
    The Red Sox have kept Bradley on their radar, but they've only recently become aggressive in regard to player movement. Odds are his market will accelerate in the coming days. Bradley has also been connected to the Mets, Phillies, and Astros.
    With the Red Sox doing essentially nothing this offseason, why would Bradley want to return?

No rhyme or reason to anything they are doing this offseason.
    They are unwilling to take on salary and add big money free agents , yet, with Perez, Richards, and Ottavino they have taken on $23 million in questionable pitching over the last week...
    Is Mike Gimball back in charge?

The Red Sox continue to add to their pitching depth.

According to multiple major league sources, Connecticut native Matt Carasiti has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Red Sox with an invitation to major league camp.

The 29-year-old righty appeared in 11 games for the Mariners in 2019, making five starts. Carasiti underwent Tommy John surgery in March after signing a minor-league deal with the Giants.

A product of Berlin (Conn.) High recently executed a workout for approximately nine teams at his hometown field, with the Red Sox ultimately winning out for the services of Carasiti.

The former St. John's University star was originally drafted in the sixth-round of the 2012, making his major league debut with Colorado in 2016. Carasiti went on to turn in a productive Triple-A season with the Cubs organization the following season before signing with the Yakult Swallows in Japan for the 2017 and '18 seasons.
    weei.com

Quote Originally Posted by factnotopinion7 View Post
    No rhyme or reason to anything they are doing this offseason.
    They are unwilling to take on salary and add big money free agents , yet, with Perez, Richards, and Ottavino they have taken on $23 million in questionable pitching over the last week...
    Is Mike Gimball back in charge?
    Surprisingly, the Carasiti signing made me more convinced that I understand the reasoning... not that I necessarily agree with it. Bloom is essentially rewinding the clock to 2002 and Theo's idea of "a $100 million player development machine." In '02, his goal was to field a roster primarily consisting players that came up through the Red Sox farm system and augmented with FAs. Bloom's course correction is pretty painful after "Dealer Dave" depleted the yet another farm system in his version of win-now general managing.

Bloom's version seems to be heavily influenced by his time in Tampa Bay. The Snell deal pretty much typifies their M.O. -- deal when value is at a peak, favoring too early than too late. I suspect that Mookie might have been gone 6-12 months earlier if Bloom had been around then.

Another connection, and the one that I felt was confirmed by Carasiti, is the heavy emphasis on pitching value. Carasiti, German (the other guy in the Ottavino deal), Grotz, and Gossett are all hard-throwing guys who generally had a high ceiling (early round draft pick) and then had an injury to derail things. Actually, I think that all but one is hoping to pitch in his first full season after TJ. In short, Bloom paid cash for some lottery tickets that might provide some help if they're not dealt after a hot start.

So 2021 is basically about building value around the current roster. They bring in just enough talent to breakeven and have a winning record at home. They build value into Cassas, Dalbec, Downs, Duran, Darwinzon Hernandez, Houck, and Pivetta by giving them expanding roles as the season moves forward. By October, we're probably dealing two of those guys for future value and banking on the rest for a run at 90 wins in 2022.

* My guess is that Dalbec and Pivetta are moved as well as at least one of the lottery tickets from this offseason.

I did not realize that Richards' and Adriese's deals both include options for 2022. I like both a bit more now.

I'd also forgotten that we're still hamstrung by Price's contract at a value of $16M/yr through 2022. That's having a bigger impact on this offseason that I'd realized. The Sox are close to $201M towards the CBT (luxury) tax.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Surprisingly, the Carasiti signing made me more convinced that I understand the reasoning... not that I necessarily agree with it. Bloom is essentially rewinding the clock to 2002 and Theo's idea of "a $100 million player development machine." In '02, his goal was to field a roster primarily consisting players that came up through the Red Sox farm system and augmented with FAs. Bloom's course correction is pretty painful after "Dealer Dave" depleted the yet another farm system in his version of win-now general managing.

Bloom's version seems to be heavily influenced by his time in Tampa Bay. The Snell deal pretty much typifies their M.O. -- deal when value is at a peak, favoring too early than too late. I suspect that Mookie might have been gone 6-12 months earlier if Bloom had been around then.

Another connection, and the one that I felt was confirmed by Carasiti, is the heavy emphasis on pitching value. Carasiti, German (the other guy in the Ottavino deal), Grotz, and Gossett are all hard-throwing guys who generally had a high ceiling (early round draft pick) and then had an injury to derail things. Actually, I think that all but one is hoping to pitch in his first full season after TJ. In short, Bloom paid cash for some lottery tickets that might provide some help if they're not dealt after a hot start.

So 2021 is basically about building value around the current roster. They bring in just enough talent to breakeven and have a winning record at home. They build value into Cassas, Dalbec, Downs, Duran, Darwinzon Hernandez, Houck, and Pivetta by giving them expanding roles as the season moves forward. By October, we're probably dealing two of those guys for future value and banking on the rest for a run at 90 wins in 2022.

* My guess is that Dalbec and Pivetta are moved as well as at least one of the lottery tickets from this offseason.
    So turning the clock back to 2002...they were 93-69 in 2002 and the next year they began a 6 year run where they were basically in it every year. Do you honestly think that anything remotely resembling that is possible?

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that Mike Foltynewicz threw for interested teams in Atlanta on Friday.

Heyman says that Foltynewicz was sitting at 90-92 mph, "but looked to be in fine shape." Folty experienced a major drop in velocity last season, which is a major reason why the Braves cut him loose, and it would appear he's still looking to regain that velocity. The Cubs were one team that was at the workout, per Bruce Levine of WSCR-AM and 670thescore.com. The righty will get an opportunity somewhere but would figure to have to settle for an incentive-laden contract.
    via roto

Maybe it's local bias (2hrs to Hotlanta) but I always liked this guy. If we're stockpiling arms with upside then I'd be checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by factnotopinion7 View Post
    So turning the clock back to 2002...they were 93-69 in 2002 and the next year they began a 6 year run where they were basically in it every year. Do you honestly think that anything remotely resembling that is possible?
    I was specifically talking about the mindset of the FO: focus on developing talent in the farm system, including acquiring upside talent via trade. I believe that the type of run they sustained is possible but I'm certainly not saying that it'll happen starting in 2022.

I think that Pedroia's retirement frees up some money for the Sox for 2021. If so, I could see JBJ returning now.

The Kiki Hernandez signing is great. A guy who can help change the culture and be a part of the turnaround

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Royals have agreed to acquire Andrew Benintendi from the Red Sox in a three-team deal involving the Mets.
    Franchy Cordero and Mets pitching prospect Josh Winchowski will go to the Red Sox and outfield prospect Khalil Lee will go to the Mets. Other players might also be involved. There was buzz last month that Benintendi was close to being traded, but it seemed to quickly fizzle out. Obviously, talks have since been revived. The 26-year-old could probably use a fresh start after a disappointing 2019 and lost 2020 campaign. Cordero would seemingly be in line to take over in left field in Boston
    via roto

First impression isn't very encouraging.

Cordero has been kicking around the minors for 8yrs. He started young, but still, if he can't get traction in his mid-20s what is there to get excited about? His AAA looks good but it's basically one monstrous season... in 2017?! 84-2B, 58-3B, 50-HR with 104SB in 2400+ PA (.279/.335/.434). I guess there's a little speed and he's got experience in both LF and CF. Seems like he could have been had for free as a minor league FA soon enough. And, wow, we have him for exactly one year longer than Benintendi.

Winchowski doesn't look like much more than a lottery ticket. 15th round pick in 2016 with a fairly pedestrian rise through the minors. His A/A+ season in 2019 had a little promise. 2.76 k/bb with 8.1k/9 overall isn't really killer stuff, though. At least he managed to crack the Mets top 30 (#26).

Unless there's another player coming back, it feels like we're selling low on Benintendi to save salary.

My Dad put it best...
    I said that the Sox are signing a lot of players and making a lot of trades...
    My Dad"Ya they are cornering the market on signing and trading for garbage"...

What we have done over the last two years is nothing short of atrocious to be honest.

We shipped Betts out, Sold Benny at an all time low, probably not bringing back JBJ. A how to dismantle your WS OF trio in 2 seasons.

I would have rather just straight dumped Eovaldi and Price.... for nothing. They were decent enough to just give away and eat a little bit of money. Could have traded off JD as well before 2020 (especially if you though his money was taking away from Betts.

We could have survived with a foundation of Betts, Devers, Bogaerts, Benny, JBJ, Sale, Vazquez, and E-Rod.

Whatever direction we decided to go was the wrong one here. I have a fear Bloom will never spend on FA or extensions, which is just as stupid as neglecting the farm.

We will see, but the Benny trade was a no brain cell move. I fully expect him to be quite productive this season
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast