Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Red Sox signed RHP Zack Kelly to a minor league contract.

Kelly held a 3.63 ERA and 85/29 K/BB ratio over 79 1/3 innings between High- and Double-A in the Angels organization in 2019. He'll turn 26 in March and is coming back from minor elbow surgery, so this looks like merely a depth signing.
    Another below-the-radar type deal

Bob Klapisch of NJ Advance Media reports that DJ LeMahieu's asking price in contract talks with the Yankees has been five years and $125 million.

It's a notable jump from the five-year, $100 million ask which Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported last week. Klapisch's colleague, Brendan Kuty, has reported that LeMahieu and the Yanks are more than $25 million apart in their negotiations, with Klapisch saying the team "isn't budging" because "no one in the organization wants to commit to a fifth year" and "the Yankees would be bidding against themselves." Obviously, some work needs to be done here to bridge the gap, but LeMahieu ultimately re-signing still seems to be the likely scenario.
    Obviously not the deal for the Red Sox but I'm totally in favor of him getting that kind of deal from NYY just to limit future spending.

Well, they are setting the record for signing defective players this offseason....
    What in the blue hell happened to this team?
    Another season of ZERO interest

The Sox have been focused on deals of up to two or three years, according to those sources. One potential rotation addtion who fits that is righthander Jake Ordorizzi, a 30-year old who has reached free agency for the first time. MLB.com reported Tuesday that the Red Sox have "serious intereste." The Athletic reported that Ordorizzi has been seeking a three-year deal for $36 million -- $42 million.
    Boston Globe

Quote Originally Posted by factnotopinion7 View Post
    Well, they are setting the record for signing defective players this offseason....
    What in the blue hell happened to this team?
    Another season of ZERO interest
    Yeah, I'm a little uncertain about what's going on. Obviously, COVID has left a lot of uncertainty in the FA market. I don't get a reluctance to go beyond a couple of years (above), though. If a player is going to compete for two or three years, then I hope there's no impact beyond the first season.

One possibility: the FA pitching market is pretty weak. Bauer is basically on his own on the top shelf and the next level are "good not great" types. You could make a case for any of them helping the rotation. But you could also make the case for waiting on the market and getting a guy off the second shelf as the dust begins to settle because the differences aren't that great so the bargain might be worth it.

I definitely think that depth is an operational key for Bloom -- because it was for the Rays. Last year the Rays had the second best record in MLB with a staff that had 11 guys make starts in a 60-game season. Some of that is from the starter concept but some of it is from planning for players to get hurt, need rest, or underperform. DD didn't think that way; he threw money at guys in their peak and assumed they'd start 35 games. His teams characteristically suffered in the BP (no money left) and had little depth (same). If we end up with a couple of AAAA starters who can roll like Johnson/Velazquez in 2018, that's not a bad thing.

It's also not very exciting.

At this point, I would guess that we're going to end up with a rotation of Eduardo, Eovaldi, FA, Pivetta, and Houck. Reports were good on Pivetta at the alternate site; the Sox got him back to throwing the way he did when he'd just arrived in MLB. Once Sale returns (May/June), then Pivetta or Houck heads to the BP. That gets them a decent rotation without spending a ton and without a very long-term commitment.

The bigger question may be in the OF. For all the good words about staying in touch with JBJ, not much seems likely to happen there and now they're reportedly shopping Benintendi. I'm not overly disappointed that Benny could be leaving; he hit a peak in July 2018 and has been sliding ever since. Not sure if he's incapable of making an adjustment or what. I get the case for dealing his potential for a prospect with upside, especially when he's an alternative to a weak FA class. I'm not sure that I'd be pushing that approach but I get the motivation.

If the polar ice cap ever breaks on the luke-warm stove, then things could break in favor of being in WC contention. Maybe have a solid run that makes everyone think the team has a chance before settling back to earth late in the season.

According to a #RedSox source the #Marlins were one of the teams engaged in trade talks re: Andrew Benintendi but they have not been able to agree on return. Other teams also have been involved.
    Jim Bowden on Twitter

I always take Bowden's "insider" stuff with a grain of salt. That said, I wonder if we could bring back someone like Edward Cabrera or Trevor Rogers. Sixto Sanchez is obviously too much of an ask.
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 01-12-2021 at 03:42 PM.

The Red Sox have been very quiet so far this offseason, but that could soon change.

According to Buster Olney of ESPN, there's a sense in the league that the Red Sox "have talked about a ton of possibilities and are preparing for a series of moves before the start of spring training."

Olney adds: "the expectation is that they will in an effort to upgrade the '21 team."

One of the moves could involve Andrew Benintendi. For more on that, click here. MLB Network's Mark Feinsand reports an executive would be "shocked" if he isn't traded by the end of the weekend.

It's unclear what some of the other moves could be, but the Red Sox have reportedly had interest in a number of pitchers that are still available.

According to USA Today, Rob Manfred has told teams to expect spring training to start on time and to plan on playing the full 162-game schedule.
    weei.com

Unlike Oakland, Philadelphia and Cincinnati, Boston is targeting Semien as a second baseman, per Bowden. That isnít surprising, as it was reported last month that teams have shown interest in Semien as an option at the keystone this offseason. Boston already has a set left side of the infield with shortstop Xander Bogaerts and third baseman Rafael Devers, but it still has to sort out second Ė a position that isnít foreign to Semien. He played 77 games there as a minor leaguer and another 29 in the bigs with the White Sox from 2013-14.

Along with where heíll go, an obvious question centering on Semien is how much it will take to sign him. When the offseason began, MLBTR predicted Semien would reel in a one-year, $14MM contract, but as Steve Adams wrote in November, others have been far more bullish in regards to his forthcoming deal. If teams are confident Semien is more the player he was in 2019 and in the second half of 2020, he could indeed collect a substantial payday over multiple years.
    M L B Trade Rumors

Hard to say how much of an upgrade Semien would be over what we've got. Was the monster 2019 season just a fluke? Most years he's been a league-average SS with both bat and glove. Did he regress in 2018 because of the stress of COVID and the uneven start to a weird season or did he simply fall back to his career averages (note: his 162-game average was awfully close to his career mark)?

$27M/2yr with an option might be okay in terms of roster building. It'd give Downs a cushion for development and provide some flexibility for Cora to give Bogaerts the day off (or rotate him through DH) with Semien capable of playing a decent SS.

Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com reports the Red Sox have re-signed LHP Martin Perez to a one-year, $4.5 million deal, which includes a $6 million team option for the 2022 campaign.
    Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic was the first to report that the two sides were close to an agreement. Per Cotillo, the deal also includes a $500,000 buyout for the 2022 season and will be made official once Perez passes a physical. The reunion comes after the Red Sox declined his $6.85 million option back in November. The 29-year-old veteran southpaw's performance has fluctuated over the last few years, but he delivered a respectable 4.50 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 46/28 K/BB ratio across 62 innings (12 starts) during the truncated 2020 campaign. He's back for another stint as an innings-eater and will provide some valuable back-end depth for the Red Sox' starting rotation next season.
    roto

Um... this might be where I step off the train. Kluber goes to the Yankees relatively cheap and the Red Sox answer is... Martin Perez? We declined his option to save a couple million bucks? Ugh, this is frustrating. There are still rotation options out there but this is getting frustrating.

Another season of apathy.....thats worse than hating the team...theres no direction...except to the bottom....they are going to suck suck suck....Thanks Henry and Chaim....

Anybody who was wondering if Dave Dombrowski would be targeting some familiar faces from the Red Sox got their answer Monday.

The Red Sox announced that they have agreed to a trade with Dombrowski and the Phillies, sending minor-league shortstop C.J. Chatham to Philadelphia for a player to be named later.

The move frees up a 40-man roster spot for the Red Sox, leaving them currently at 39.

Chatham was the Red Sox' second-round pick in the 2016 MLB Draft, having played 20 Triple-A games in 2019. While the 26-year-old has primarily played shortstop throughout his professional career, he was integrated into second base in the Arizona Fall League following the '19 season.
    weei.com

Swell, we cleared a spot for the SP whom we cut back in November. But why? Wasn't there any value in a glove-first guy who could play all over the infield and didn't strike out much? I honestly didn't have high hopes for Chatham but I just don't understand dealing a guy who could serve as a decent backup/UTL role when the team only has a pool of players who might staff 2B but no clear cut starter at the keystone.

Even worse... PTBNL? That's usually the type of deal that you swing either very late in ST or right before the trade deadline. The key in both situations is that the time pressures make it impossible to nail down the right return so you agree to the main piece and haggle over the return later. What the heck prevented a complete deal from going down right now, the ongoing hunt for another Matin Perez to clog the rotation?

Folks around this board for a while know that I've always hated "it's not my money" arguments but the current state of this roster and (un)willingness to engage FA is downright infuriating. What makes it worse is that this team that finished in last place (third from the bottom in MLB) is having an offseason that is marked more by rumors/transactions sending players away than by who they are acquiring.
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 01-19-2021 at 12:54 PM.

^^ On that last point, the two biggest deals that are currently being discussed:
    • Trade Benintendi for a younger OF and lottery ticket pitcher
    • Outright or release Dustin Pedroia (I'd do the former as assign him to the PawSox roster to keep him in the org but off the 40-man)

Yay, what excitement in Beantown.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxtober View Post
    ^^ on that last point, the two biggest deals that are currently being discussed:
    • trade benintendi for a younger of and lottery ticket pitcher
    • outright or release dustin pedroia (i'd do the former as assign him to the pawsox roster to keep him in the org but off the 40-man)

yay, what excitement in beantown.
    a-p-a-t-h-y

From roto
    Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Red Sox have reached an agreement on a one-year, $10 million contract with free agent right-hander Garrett Richards.

The deal is pending a physical and also includes a club option for 2022, per Alex Speier of the Boston Globe. The two sides had talked earlier in the offseason, but momentum toward an agreement really started building on Friday. Richards adds another quality arm to a Red Sox rotation that lacked depth. The 32-year-old registered a 4.03 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 46/17 K/BB ratio over 51 1/3 innings for the Padres during the shortened 2020 season. His signing could bump Tanner Houck from the Opening Day rotation.
    Not a terrible signing but I'm not sure that he was worth more than Lester ($5M), Quintana ($8M), etc to what the Red Sox are doing this offseason. Not a group that is going to compete... probably not even for WC2.

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports that the Red Sox have signed Enrique Hernandez to a multi-year contract.

No word yet on the financial terms of the pact. The versatile 29-year-old and lefty-masher currently projects as the favorite to start at second base for the Red Sox, though his overall fantasy upside is muted by his middling batting average and complete lack of speed. He has been an interesting value outside the top 450 picks in early draft champions leagues, but expect his draft stock to rise around 100 picks or so based on this news. Hernandez hit .230/.270/.410 with five homers and 20 RBI in 148 plate appearances for the Dodgers in 2020.
    High energy guy with above average defense and below average bat. Like a lot of other stuff this year... a comma, waiting for the rest of the sentence to be written in 2022.

More from roto
    Red Sox acquired RHP Frank German from the Yankees in the Adam Ottavino trade.

Ottavino is the big name here, but given Boston will pay most of the money left on his deal, odds are they wouldn't have done this one without landing an interesting prospect. German, 23, was a fourth-round pick of the Yankees in 2018 and holds a 3.56 ERA with 128 strikeouts and 44 walks over his first 111 1/3 innings in pro ball. He throws hard, but he'll have to make progress with his control to avoid a move to the bullpen.

Red Sox acquired RHPs Adam Ottavino and Frank German and cash considerations from the Yankees for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

It's a pure cash-dump for the Yankees, who are looking to stay under the $210 luxury tax threshold while adding some other pieces. Brett Gardner is one possibility. Ottavino is still owed $8 million this season and a $3 million signing bonus which is deferred to 2022, but Boston will cover most of that. According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the Yankees are paying just $850,00 as part of the trade. As for the Red Sox, they managed to buy a prospect as well as a pitcher who is capable of a rebound. Ottavino could very well be saving games for Boston this season. And if he bounces back, he could be an interesting trade chip in the final year of his deal.
    Feels weird. The Yankees are dumping Ottavino's salary to make another move and stay under the luxury tax and the Red Sox are helping. After watching them pick up Tallion for prospects they could have dealt and swoop in to sign Kluber for only $11M, how in the world are we also helping them make those things work?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast