Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Offseason 2020-21: Where are we going?

Now that we know who the manager will be, a few random ideas for the upcoming offseason...

I saw recently that Corey Kluber spends the offseason in New England, close to his wife's family I think. Given his recent injury history, I wonder if he'd take a pillow contract or short money to rebuild value. $15M/1yr or $18M/2yr (1yr @ $15M, $3M buyout on a $15M second year)? If healthy, he'd help sustain the staff through the challenging first few months and the potential for Sale, Kluber, EdRo, Eovaldi as your top four would take a lot of pressure off guys like Houck. It's also a nice bridge to see how those guys continue to develop at the MLB level.

To JBJ or not to JBJ? He's projected at something like $18M/2yr and for that I would bring him back. He's never going to hit with any consistency but his defense is worth the money and a 2yr deal would provide a good bridge to Jaren Duran.

I'm not sure what to make of all the talk about Lindor. His addition would make for quite an interesting set of options. Chief among the alternatives: Bogaerts to 3B, Lindor at SS, and Devers to 1B. Sorry, Raffy, but your defense is simply too inconsistent to play the hot corner every day. Pick up 1B this winter and get ready for a new role.

I get the excitement around DJ LeMahieu. It'd be nice to steal the Yankees' most important hitter the last season but I'm not sure that the tenure will be right. At some point in the next three years (guestimate), Jeter Downs needs to debut and help justify the Mookie trade.

Speaking of inconsistent, Michael Chavis seems to have found a niche on the "change of scenery" ballot. The team obviously does not have enough confidence in him to give him a regular job. It's not hard to see why: defensively he hurts you at all the positions that he plays. Circling back to Duran, he needs a 40-man spot and Chavis... well, Chavis doesn't. Non-tender candidate if he's not traded.

Dustin Pedroia, however, is a straight outright/DFA candidate. That might be a touch pill to swallow for everyone involved but Pedroia is simply never going to play major league baseball again. 2021 is the last year of his contract and now his roster spot is more valuable that the dollars that John Henry will pay him to watch Red Sox games on TV. The hope is that they negotiate a settlement for him to retire (since his deal was supposedly constructed to avoid hurting the team financially) but this will be the first difficult, unpopular but absolutely necessary decision of Bloom's tenure.

Second baseman Tetsuto Yamada ostensibly became the highest-paid player in the history of the Yakult Swallows, Kyodo News (Japanese) reported in its online edition Tuesday. The 27-year-old is the only player in NPB history to hit .300 with 30 home runs and 30 steals more than once in his career.

He accomplished the feat for the third time in 2018. In 2019, he went 33-for-36 as a base stealer with 35 home runs, but only batted. 271. Despite that slight hiccup, Yamada received a 70 million yen pay increase for 2020 after turning down a multiyear contract. This opens the door for him to file for domestic free agency next November [2020] or even ask the Swallows to post him.

As Japanís premier second baseman since he broke out in the second half of the 2014 season at the age of 21, some have wondered if Yamada might ask Yakult to post him, and he did express some positive feelings about such a move. Since then, the lingering effects of being hit by a pitch in August 2016, and a quiet multiyear commitment to the team muted talk of a major league move.
    Source: here

Maybe not coincidental that "the Mike Trout of Japanese baseball" took a one-year deal and set up to be posted or declared a FA when the Yankees need a 2B? Could be an interesting option for the Red Sox as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post

Why are we becoming a small market small ball franchise? The Red Sox should have the highest payroll and be out there getting the best players on the market every year...Throwing Betts away is going to hurt them for a long time...the guy was a generational talent...

Quote Originally Posted by factnotopinion7 View Post
    Why are we becoming a small market small ball franchise? The Red Sox should have the highest payroll and be out there getting the best players on the market every year...Throwing Betts away is going to hurt them for a long time...the guy was a generational talent...
    Owners want to trim their sails money wise. Problem is unlike in Theo's time (at times) the farm is weak. So you'd have to spend in the top 3 to compete. Question is can we hang onto the good players we have now while we wait for 3+ years to produce talent via the draft. Don't see us near the top until '24 or later.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Owners want to trim their sails money wise. Problem is unlike in Theo's time (at times) the farm is weak. So you'd have to spend in the top 3 to compete. Question is can we hang onto the good players we have now while we wait for 3+ years to produce talent via the draft. Don't see us near the top until '24 or later.
    Yeah, basically agree. The team pushed the max tax level and the penalties were unsustainable. Not only was the 'luxury tax' money too high but it cost them in both draft and international signings. Dombrowski followed his typical pattern (over-investing in starting pitchers, bargain hunting RP, trying to buy a few marquee position players all at the expense of top prospects used to bring them in) and left an empty farm and an empty wallet. We could not undo the mistakes (Eovaldi, Price, maybe Sale) so we had to avoid salary increase. Trading Betts was a way to do both.

I disagree with the length to rebuild, however. The Sox were terrible in 2020 but that has a lot to do with terrible pitching. A short-money SP signing that fits in the 2-4 mold could help hold the fort while Sale returns. EdRo should gain strength as the year unfolds. Houck will pick up the slack from Eovaldi (BP?) and the Sox might have unlocked something with Pivetta by returning him to his early career mechanics. It's hard to know if any of these will be dominant but it's a group with several candidates to be very good.

Cora will have to be a baseball whisperer with some of the Latin players that he encouraged in his first stint, Devers in particular.

IMO, they might be more focused on 2022 for truly competing but could be relevant this year if things go well.

A few days old but...

The Red Sox have added an intriguing power-hitting outfield prospect.

Michael Gettys, a second-round pick of the Padres in the 2014 MLB Draft, has signed a minor-league deal with the Sox. The 25-year-old spent all of the 2019 season in Triple-A, slugging 31 home runs in 128 games for El Paso.

The knock on Gettys has been his inability to make consistent contact, striking out 168 times in 507 at-bats during his last full season.
    weei.com

Have they changed their thinking?
    The last few days you hear about them having interest in Bryant (Cubs) , Pueg(Dodgers) and Happ... Perhaps they are going to be major players again... we shall see...but they have been mentioned in every trade and free agent discussion the last few days...