Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets talk

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by ortforshort View Post
    Darnold is talented and has been given the worst possible circumstance in his 3 years with the Jets.
    Zero offensive line, zero weapons, zero coaching.

If the Jets get the overall number 1, I'd trade it for a bushel of high draft picks and stick with Darnold.

Lawrence may or may not be better than Darnold, but not a couple of number 1's and number 2's better.

Lawrence probably wouldn't do much better than Darnold did with similar nothingness to work with.
    I actually think TL does worse. He would be trying to run and getting crushed.

I agree with your assessment. To me, the only way TL is worth the pick you mentioned is if he quietly becomes a top 10 QB and Sam stays around 20th. I don't think the drop off is that big. I would be all in on trading back.

I started the season with a thread about this being Sam's last chance. I. still hold that he needs to show something and do it quickly but I also believe that if Jim Mcmahon and Trent Dilfer can win a super bowl, so can Sam because he is much better than either of them.
    Again,
    2 good OL
    A true #1 WR (and keep the ones they have now)
    A decent TE
    A good Edge
    A lockdown CB

That changes this team dramatically. 3 first round and 2 second round picks would go a long, long way in getting them there

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post

I agree with your assessment. To me, the only way TL is worth the pick you mentioned is if he quietly becomes a top 10 QB and Sam stays around 20th. I don't think the drop off is that big. I would be all in on trading back.

I started the season with a thread about this being Sam's last chance. I. still hold that he needs to show something and do it quickly but I also believe that if Jim Mcmahon and Trent Dilfer can win a super bowl, so can Sam because he is much better than either of them.
    Again,
    2 good OL
    A decent TE
    A good Edge
    A lockdown CB

That changes this team dramatically. 3 first round and 2 second round picks would go a long, long way in getting them there
    I remember that thread, I also said you stick with Sam for all 5 years.
    This year has been brutal and I think we broke Sam...so now I donít know
    As for the pieces we need, thatís basically an entire team.
    I believe we can solve most of the offensive positions with FA and draft, those two defensive positions are really hard to fill, especially the edge position

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I remember that thread, I also said you stick with Sam for all 5 years.
    This year has been brutal and I think we broke Sam...so now I donít know
    As for the pieces we need, thatís basically an entire team.
    I believe we can solve most of the offensive positions with FA and draft, those two defensive positions are really hard to fill, especially the edge position
    For sure. I have been saying those same positions would change the team for the last 3-4 years.
    It's no easy task

Ignorance is bliss

Again,
    2 good OL
    A decent TE
    A good Edge
    A lockdown CB

I would trade the #1 overall for Tretter Teller OBJ (I know I know) and see what we could get pick wise on top of that. At least their 1st

Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    I would trade the #1 overall for Tretter Teller OBJ (I know I know) and see what we could get pick wise on top of that. At least their 1st
    I doubt the Browns do that. That's a heavy load of talent for 1 pick plus your own picks.
    I would say that if the jets ended up trading with the Jags, I would offer up the Jags second pick for one of those linemen and a 3rd.

Ignorance is bliss

I'm thinking Lawrence would go for two 1's and two 2's.
    He's supposed to be this generational prospect.
    It would be worth trading him for that type of a haul because we already have a good QB prospect in Darnold.
    Less and you would have to reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by ortforshort View Post
    I'm thinking Lawrence would go for two 1's and two 2's.
    He's supposed to be this generational prospect.
    It would be worth trading him for that type of a haul because we already have a good QB prospect in Darnold.
    Less and you would have to reconsider.
    I think the Rams gave up two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds for Goff. I think TL gets more than. that. Add in another 1rst or 2nd.
    TL could pull, 3 firsts and two seconds or 2 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds.

Ignorance is bliss

With lots of teams over the cap and the Jets with the most cap to spend, quality players will be available via FA, so no real need to trade back just to acquire picks.

WR, OL and possibly Edge can be had in FA.

I'm not as concerned with CB, give me a passrush and I'll show you better CB play.
    I like Maye, but if he going to cost around the same as Justin Simmons, then give me Simmons.

I doubt the Browns do that. That's a heavy load of talent for 1 pick plus your own picks.
    I would say that if the jets ended up trading with the Jags, I would offer up the Jags second pick for one of those linemen and a 3rd.
    I think OBJ will be let go. He doesnít work and now with the injury I donít think they put any value on him. While 2 very good line men is a lot it is never valued as high as a good QB and TL is valued at a generational level relent right now. And most teams understand they need to give up their 1st to get a top pick at minimum.

Plus selling your fan base hope is worth gold. The real question is if we would pry any more out of them. And what is valued higher, 2 really good line men or a few top picks.

Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    I think OBJ will be let go. He doesnít work and now with the injury I donít think they put any value on him. While 2 very good line men is a lot it is never valued as high as a good QB and TL is valued at a generational level relent right now. And most teams understand they need to give up their 1st to get a top pick at minimum.

Plus selling your fan base hope is worth gold. The real question is if we would pry any more out of them. And what is valued higher, 2 really good line men or a few top picks.
    True. A young, proven commodity vs potential ? Both have risks and rewards.

For me, something about the team you like, building from within is more appealing.

Ignorance is bliss

You guys are crazy. Trevor Lawrence is as good of a prospect as we've seen since Andrew Luck, and before that.... Peyton Manning? He might be a generational talent. I don't want to be known as the team who traded out of the #1 pick because we had Sam ****ing Darnold and TL becomes a HOFer.

You can't be a consistent SB contender without an elite QB. I don't care how bad our weapons have been, Darnold has shown he doesn't have "elite" in him. He makes bad decisions and misses open receivers frequently.

If we pick #1, it's TL and trade Darnold. Can't be anything else. Too many 1st and 2nd round picks end up being bad or mediocre at best. It's not worth trading a potential top end QB for unknown picks.

Lawrence has pretty mivh made it known that he just played his last game in Clemson.
    Meaning, he's declaring for the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Lawrence has pretty mivh made it known that he just played his last game in Clemson.
    Meaning, he's declaring for the draft.
    I missed that. He's not playing the rest of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    I missed that. He's not playing the rest of the season?
    Not quite, he just kind of stated he played his last home game for Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    You guys are crazy. Trevor Lawrence is as good of a prospect as we've seen since Andrew Luck, and before that.... Peyton Manning? He might be a generational talent. I don't want to be known as the team who traded out of the #1 pick because we had Sam ****ing Darnold and TL becomes a HOFer.

You can't be a consistent SB contender without an elite QB. I don't care how bad our weapons have been, Darnold has shown he doesn't have "elite" in him. He makes bad decisions and misses open receivers frequently.

If we pick #1, it's TL and trade Darnold. Can't be anything else. Too many 1st and 2nd round picks end up being bad or mediocre at best. It's not worth trading a potential top end QB for unknown picks.
    After watching the Jets today, even Houdini couldn't have won as quarterback. You could pencil in 2nd and 9, big pass rush, no one open all day. This team needs a lot of talent, not just one guy.

The question is how big an upgrade is Lawrence over Darnold, if any?

We haven't seen Darnold in anything approaching a normal situation. Writing him off is a mistake.

Meanwhile, what if Lawrence doesn't live up to the hype of being the next Luck? We've seen overhyped QBs before. Being the next Luck may not be such a lucky thing. They threw the original Luck into a similar mess as Lawrence would be thrown into and where is he now? Battered and out of the league.

Dealing the first overall pick for a bunch of high picks and bringing in some quality free agents with the large amount of cap space the Jets have plus the handful of talented players the Jets already have now and you're on the road to having the amount of talent needed to succeed.

Of course, if the Jets don't jettison Gase, this discussion is moot.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast