Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    51

    NEW YORK POST: Joe Douglas’ Jets honeymoon is over: Examining GM’s record so far

    https://nypost.com/2021/01/27/joe-do...record-so-far/

    "One curious decision Douglas has made is not changing the scouting staff. He largely has the same scouts who worked under Maccagnan when the Jets drafted terribly. Douglas has hired one scout."

    I have been screaming about how ****** our scouts are since Idzik and probably even even before then but especially during the Mac era. Reading this makes my blood ****ing boil. How in the ****ing world do you still keep anyone from Macs scouting staff after like 98% of the players that were drafted aren't even in the ****ing NFL anymore? This is absolutely ridiculous. It makes no sense whatsoever to keep any of these guys...look at the damn track record...like wtf. They need to completely clean house and to poach scouting personnel from the Steelers. They know how to draft talent on both sides but especially on offense. Man this makes me furious reading that ****. Unreal.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    10,553
    Quote Originally Posted by LVC View Post
    https://nypost.com/2021/01/27/joe-do...record-so-far/

    "One curious decision Douglas has made is not changing the scouting staff. He largely has the same scouts who worked under Maccagnan when the Jets drafted terribly. Douglas has hired one scout."

    I have been screaming about how ****** our scouts are since Idzik and probably even even before then but especially during the Mac era. Reading this makes my blood ****ing boil. How in the ****ing world do you still keep anyone from Macs scouting staff after like 98% of the players that were drafted aren't even in the ****ing NFL anymore? This is absolutely ridiculous. It makes no sense whatsoever to keep any of these guys...look at the damn track record...like wtf. They need to completely clean house and to poach scouting personnel from the Steelers. They know how to draft talent on both sides but especially on offense. Man this makes me furious reading that ****. Unreal.
    I guess someone doesn't like Becton, Mims, Hall or Mann.

    It's not scouting, it's the person making the call on drafting.

    Any other teams out here with 2 pro bowl rookies?
    Anyone.........
    Last edited by MrX27; 01-28-2021 at 01:11 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,086
    Maybe he changed the way the scouts look at players.
    Maybe they were decent scouts but were being asked the wrong questions and given the wrong criteria on how to grade out players.

    Just like a player can flourish under a new coach, there is no reason a scout can't do the same under a new
    GM and coach.

    As MrX said. Becton, Mims, Hall, Davis? Add to that. guys like Herndon, Cashman, Austin, Edoga, Wesco, Perrine, Mann?

    I think there is a big difference between a GM who says, "Find me good player" and leaves it up to the guys to do it and a GM who says, "This is how I define a good player, now go find me some"



    Ignorance is bliss

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    71,395
    This seems like a load of nothing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I guess someone doesn't like Becton, Mims, Hall or Mann.

    It's not scouting, it's the person making the call on drafting.

    Any other teams out here with 2 pro bowl rookies?
    Anyone.........
    LOL out of how many years and players? Are you really going to defend this teams track record gtfo. Some of those guys fell to us in the draft. Obviously they scout players and have guys on their board, so there is clearly a disconnect from who the scouts are evaluating and having on the draft board. When is the last time this team had a WR that would be another teams #1? Drafting Stewart. Drafting Hackenberg. They missed on so much value it's not even funny. They could've had Watson but chose Adams (always hated the pick) bc they drafted Hack the year prior and now they will use all their 1st rd picks to get watson. The whole thing is a joke and you're gonna defend them LOL

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    10,553
    Quote Originally Posted by LVC View Post
    LOL out of how many years and players? Are you really going to defend this teams track record gtfo. Some of those guys fell to us in the draft. Obviously they scout players and have guys on their board, so there is clearly a disconnect from who the scouts are evaluating and having on the draft board. When is the last time this team had a WR that would be another teams #1? Drafting Stewart. Drafting Hackenberg. They missed on so much value it's not even funny. They could've had Watson but chose Adams (always hated the pick) bc they drafted Hack the year prior and now they will use all their 1st rd picks to get watson. The whole thing is a joke and you're gonna defend them LOL
    LOL......How many of those drafts has Joe D been involved in?

    You trying blame Joe D for drafts he had nothing to do with, gtfo!

    Like I said, there is a difference between the scout team and the man that makes draft selections and draft trades.

    Oh and Robby Anderson was a WR1 for Carolina....LOL
    At least come prepared.
    Last edited by MrX27; 01-28-2021 at 04:25 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    10,553
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    This seems like a load of nothing.
    The accuracy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    35,456
    Quote Originally Posted by LVC View Post
    LOL out of how many years and players? Are you really going to defend this teams track record gtfo. Some of those guys fell to us in the draft. Obviously they scout players and have guys on their board, so there is clearly a disconnect from who the scouts are evaluating and having on the draft board. When is the last time this team had a WR that would be another teams #1? Drafting Stewart. Drafting Hackenberg. They missed on so much value it's not even funny. They could've had Watson but chose Adams (always hated the pick) bc they drafted Hack the year prior and now they will use all their 1st rd picks to get watson. The whole thing is a joke and you're gonna defend them LOL
    Speaking of Hackenberg... there were recent articles that Mac overruled his scouts to draft hack... then overruled them again in passing in mahomes to see if hack could be the guy. So yeah, I’m not gonna sit her and heap praise on the scouts, but there’s more to the story than just “they suck.”

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,086
    Quote Originally Posted by LVC View Post
    LOL out of how many years and players? Are you really going to defend this teams track record gtfo. Some of those guys fell to us in the draft. Obviously they scout players and have guys on their board, so there is clearly a disconnect from who the scouts are evaluating and having on the draft board. When is the last time this team had a WR that would be another teams #1? Drafting Stewart. Drafting Hackenberg. They missed on so much value it's not even funny. They could've had Watson but chose Adams (always hated the pick) bc they drafted Hack the year prior and now they will use all their 1st rd picks to get watson. The whole thing is a joke and you're gonna defend them LOL
    Maybe step off the ledge?
    No one is going to tell you the jets have been draft juggernauts. They have flat out stunk at times over the last decade and been mediocre at best in other years.

    Becton, Mimms, Hall, Mann, are all guys who had a big contribution to this team in their rookie year and they were all part of Joe D's first draft. I would add the Perrine and Davis also, showed promise. Remember, he's had one shot. He's had one year in the FA market and one draft.

    Do you agree that having different parameters and quality defining characteristics can change a way that a team and its scouts, look at what they define as a good player and good fit, therefore making it clearer for all involved, leading to better accuracy?

    Do you agree that Mac and Idzik may have been to general with their asks? Leading to guys who were not able to succeed?
    Do you agree that having a GM who is clear, specific addable to educate and communicate to his scouts what he wants to see in players, can help those scouts perform better?


    Let's put it this way, there is a WR on the team and coaches think he can be good and they tell him he learns to run a good out pattern to do that.
    Coach 1 watches him run a sloppy out. He tells him to get out of his break faster. The guy works on that and improves it but the timing is still off and the coach has no more info to offer and sticks him on the bench.



    Next season, New coach, Coach 2 watches same WR and says, you're break is ok but you need to come off the ball faster. The guy works and improves but the ball is still off. target and he is missing it. Coach 2 benches him.

    New season and Coach 3 is at the helm. He watches the kid. He then goes over and says, your break is solid, your eating off the line is good. What I want is that at the 7 yard mark, you plant hard on your interior leg, get your hips turned quickly and explode out of that break and at the same time, get your head turned and hands ready, because it's likely the ball will be in the air.


    Which Coach has the best chance at a positive result?
    I genuinely think, from everything I have read and heard about Douglas, that he is coach 3.



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,086
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    Speaking of Hackenberg... there were recent articles that Mac overruled his scouts to draft hack... then overruled them again in passing in mahomes to see if hack could be the guy. So yeah, I’m not gonna sit her and heap praise on the scouts, but there’s more to the story than just “they suck.”
    I was very happy about that pick. I though Hack was going to be a good QB. He had all the tools but not the brain.



    Ignorance is bliss

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,594
    Douglas is da bomb. Everything you say about him changing the evaluation process is true. I remember reading an article about his method of scoring the prospects and it was illuminating.

    Idzik was the worst ever. He threw away picks and had no idea of their value. in a draft with 12 picks, he didn't trade up for any player that could fill a need and actually left the team without a tight end. He also did not draft a decent WR in a WR rich draft. He also made a bet during the draft with Manish that he wouldn't trade a single pick and he didn't just to make a point with him. What a total fool.

    Mac was better, but as some of you said, fell in love with Hackenberg, who at best was a fourth rounder and took him in the 2nd round, which was stunningly terrible. Then the team didn't even give him a single snap during his contract. He also supported Todd Bowles defensive scheme, which was to beef up the secondary. Building from the outside in, instead of from the inside out.

    Douglas is a godsend, who was an OL and knows that an effective line iso primary importance to protect your QB. He is an incredible evaluator of talent and capable of use good judgment to make judgement calls.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,086



    Ignorance is bliss

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern CAL
    Posts
    5,688
    This last draft was pretty good, I don’t see a reason to gripe at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    #Hernandezing


    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,265
    Quote Originally Posted by scopepts View Post
    This last draft was pretty good, I don’t see a reason to gripe at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree it was pretty good, but is it the franchise altering like draft that the Jets truly need?
    Eichel Tower

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,086
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I agree it was pretty good, but is it the franchise altering like draft that the Jets truly need?
    A franchise LT is a huge piece. I think the mindset behind the draft was franchise altering. That draft may not have been but it put the wheels in motion.



    Ignorance is bliss

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •