Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets talk

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by scopepts View Post
    Less popular but Stafford will be available too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trade back, Draft Trey Lance, sign Stafford for 2 years, trade Sam for a second? I would be down with that. I really like Stafford.

Truthfully, I just love the flexibility this team has in regards to improvement. I know some are dead set on drafting a QB or trading for Watson but I don't remotely think those are the only two routes to become both competitive next year and build for the future.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by flfan1943 View Post
    I know I am probably the only one who doesn't want to trade for Watson because of the very steep price tag.
    The Jets have a long list of things they have to do to make them a playoff contending team. They have to resign Maye first. Then they need to acquire at least 1 edge rusher, 2 corners (one if they resign Poole ), 2 offensive linemen, a RB and a TE . All of these are doable with their current cap money and draft capital. They can even increase the draft capital by trading the #2 pick. Joe has done a good job in getting the Jets in this very favorable position. You can't blow it all on 1 player no matter how good that player is or what position he plays. Build the team first then worry about the QB.
    You are not alone at all. I love the idea of Watson but only for the right price.
    I don't know that we need a TE. I think Herndon really started to figure it out and under LaFleur? I think he will get even better.

I also have the same sentiment as MrX. I don't think we are as far away as some may think.
    2 OL
    Edge
    CB
    WR
    All of those can be addressed in FA and the draft. With that said, I absolutely love the idea of MOOOAAAARRR PICJS!!!

If the Jets could get Watson for the Number 2 and Seatle's first next year plus or minus Sam? I do that without thinking twice. I take a proven FQB who's only 25 for those two picks. We';d still have a ton of capital

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    A 25 year old elite franchise QB is worth a huge price tag, and the other holes can be worried about later.

But the Jets have some leverage here thanks to Watsonís preference and NTC.
    Sanchez
    Geno
    Sam

The Jets have used the bolded as a motto for those 3 QBs. All of whom were supposed to be the FQB and all of whom they failed to put players around them, to help them. I cannot go alone with the "They can fill in the holes". If I am Watson? I don't come here unless I know they will do that and they show me a plan A, B, C, D, E, F, G.....

That mentality is what has screwed this team repeatedly. Fill the holes. If you fill the holes, the boat floats. If the boat floats, they can find a good Captain.
    The other philosophy has had The Jets continue to have captains go down with the ship.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    We had one of the worst secondaries and pass defense this season so I canít see the Jets going into next season with Hall and Austin as their Top 2 corners on the depth chart. Ideally if we want to have an improved defense, you want Austin, Hall, and Jackson fighting for that #2 CB spot. Sherman is probably unlikely, but Verrett could stabilize the secondary. Heís been a long favorite of mine, he just had so many injuries. He shouldnít blow up our cap.

I prefer Ngakoue as well, but I would take Hendrickson if the price is right. Definitely donít want to overpay for his inflated sack total. Both guys are young and would be nice additions here.

I think weíre lacking OLBs for our new 4-3 alignment. Mosley will undoubtedly be our MLB, so weíre going to need some more speed.
    We did not have one of the wrost secondaries when everyone was healthy, that's what really matters.
    And having little to no passrush has never been a benefit to any secondary in the history of football.

It hasn't been declared if the Jets are going 4-3 or sticking with the 3-4 defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    You clearly arenít understanding
    For the folks willing to give up 3 #1s, (mainly including our #1 this year and next) Iím putting player names in front of those picks to help them understand the value of players

No one was in favor of trading those players, but those are the players the NYJ plucked out of their 1st round picks the last two years. Itís conceivable to believe (assuming you trust Joe Douglas), the plethora of first rounders he has in 2021 & 2022, primarily the Jets picks, would turn out to be valuable players like QW (=2021) and Mekhi (=2022)
    I'm fine with trading 3 1st rounders, as long as it Seattle's 1st rounders (this year and next) and our 1st rounder next year.
    I'd even give Houston Seattle's 3rd rounder this year too.

If we keep the #2 pick, I'd make that trade every day..

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Sanchez
    Geno
    Sam

The Jets have used the bolded as a motto for those 3 QBs. All of whom were supposed to be the FQB and all of whom they failed to put players around them, to help them. I cannot go alone with the "They can fill in the holes". If I am Watson? I don't come here unless I know they will do that and they show me a plan A, B, C, D, E, F, G.....

That mentality is what has screwed this team repeatedly. Fill the holes. If you fill the holes, the boat floats. If the boat floats, they can find a good Captain.
    The other philosophy has had The Jets continue to have captains go down with the ship.
    Disagree to an extent. Those 3 QB's weren't good. And we had one of the best, if not the best defense in the league with Sanchez at QB... Hence two AFC championship games. We had plenty of holes covered during his time here. If we had a QB of Watson's caliber, we very well may have won a SB one of those years.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I'm fine with trading 3 1st rounders, as long as it Seattle's 1st rounders (this year and next) and our 1st rounder next year.
    I'd even give Houston Seattle's 3rd rounder this year too.

If we keep the #2 pick, I'd make that trade every day..
    There's no way they make the deal without the #2 included. Like, no way! That will be the headliner and perhaps with the #2 included, it'll only be two firsts needed to make the deal.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 01-24-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    You clearly arenít understanding
    For the folks willing to give up 3 #1s, (mainly including our #1 this year and next) Iím putting player names in front of those picks to help them understand the value of players

No one was in favor of trading those players, but those are the players the NYJ plucked out of their 1st round picks the last two years. Itís conceivable to believe (assuming you trust Joe Douglas), the plethora of first rounders he has in 2021 & 2022, primarily the Jets picks, would turn out to be valuable players like QW (=2021) and Mekhi (=2022)
    I get what you're saying, but QW and Mekhi were top end draft picks. The hope is we'd be able to win a minimum of 8-10 games in Watson's first season. The #2 is obviously very valuable, but at the same time it'd likely be a QB that will certainly not be a sure thing and could end up being a wasted pick like our several other early QB picks. Then next year you figure the SEA pick and our pick would be in the second half of round 1. Certainly not another top 5 with Watson here and all the cap room we have.

But still, by including the #2, I think we can get a deal done with only 2 firsts and Sam, assuming they'd want Sam, especially since Watson has a no trade clause. If he says he wants the Jets, we're in good shape. It's when teams are trading draft picks in unknown positions that they tend to require more picks. But when u already know one of them is #2 overall, that's like gold.

We'll see.

Trade back, Draft Trey Lance, sign Stafford for 2 years, trade Sam for a second? I would be down with that. I really like Stafford.

Truthfully, I just love the flexibility this team has in regards to improvement. I know some are dead set on drafting a QB or trading for Watson but I don't remotely think those are the only two routes to become both competitive next year and build for the future.
    Iím not against this idea, but what is missing is what DET would ask for. What do you think?

Stafford isn't a free agent. We'd have to trade for him. He's asked the Lion for a trade.

I'd be ok with trading for him, and drafting Fields or Wilson at 2, or trading back a few to acquire more picks, and end up drafting Fields, Wilson, or Lance... Whoever is left. And keeping all our firsts, as Stafford should not cost a first.

Sanchez
    Geno
    Sam

Not really a fair comparison given how much better Watson is than any of the QBs listed above. Also, doesnít account for the fact that the Jets still have draft picks to use to bring in talent and plenty of money for FA. Also, having Watson attracts more FAs.

We did not have one of the wrost secondaries when everyone was healthy, that's what really matters.
    And having little to no passrush has never been a benefit to any secondary in the history of football.

It hasn't been declared if the Jets are going 4-3 or sticking with the 3-4 defense.
    I agree that the lack of pass rush significantly impacts secondary effectiveness. In a league in which the rules so heavily favor the receivers down the field, even if you have ďlock downĒ corners they are often going to get beat by good WRs. That is mitigated by the QB not having enough time to read the field and throw.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Not really a fair comparison given how much better Watson is than any of the QBs listed above. Also, doesnít account for the fact that the Jets still have draft picks to use to bring in talent and plenty of money for FA. Also, having Watson attracts more FAs.
    Exactly. I bet if we have Watson, a free agent WR like Allen Robinson would be here where he knows he'll be the #1 option. Just adding those two plus what remaining picks we have, then spending our remaining cap, it wouldn't be surprising to see us win 10 games next year.

I feel that Houston knows they can salvage the relationship with Watson for now if they get him involved with interviewing and then hiring Bieniemy.. Bienemy would agree to go there I believe if Watson is there to stay. I just have a strong feeling thatís whatís about to happen since HOU is still looking for a coach and Bieniemy and Daboll are the only names left playing..

I could swear I recall Saleh declaring whether in PC or one of his billion interviews on wfan that he did in fact state jets were gonna be 4-3 fwiw.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast